RetroN 5 Launch Delayed to December

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
RetroN 5 Launch Delayed to December

The Hyperkin RetroN 5 means nostalgia can be so much more than thinking back on how dusty your old game systems have become.

The Hyperkin RetroN 5 is a retro console that plays Famicom, Super Famicom, NES, SNES, Mega Drive, Genesis, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, and Game Boy Advance games, meaning you can put away all of those old consoles sitting around in the living room taking up space. The latest model of the RetroN series, the RetroN 5 was originally set to release on Oct. 31, but Hyperkin recently announced it will launch on Dec. 10 in the US and Europe for $100/€90.

The delay was due to a change in the shell design to increase ventilation and an accommodation for playing Master System cartridges by using the Sega Power Base Converter. The original Oct. 31 release date on Amazon was only a placeholder date. Hyperkin has contacted Amazon to change the date; however, the listing for the RetroN 5 on Amazon for preorders is no longer available.

"RetroN 5 will be the most amazing classic game console," Hyperkin Executive Director Steven Mar said.

All versions of the RetroN 5 come with an AC adapter that fits multiple regions' electrical sockets, as well as variable voltage also for ease of use in multiple countries, meaning the European release of the retro console will be available for many countries.

Many people hold on to old games because they were good games, because they're classics, or because humans in general are nostalgic creatures. Now the old games gathering dust on a shelf can receive some lost attention again.

Source: Hyperkin [http://hyperkin.com/blog/2013/09/hyperkin-to-release-retron-5-on-december-10-2013/]

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Good to see a company keeping older games available.

I hope they continue with later generations in a few decades.

Carrots_macduff

Jul 13, 2011
this is a really cool idea.

im curious if nintendo and sega are involved with this, because one would assume that nintendo at least wouldnt just let this happen if they could help it, since theyve started selling all the classics on their eshop.

also, what sort of controllers does it use?

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Hope this thing actually works out well and doesn't have issues like that Neo Geo X thing from a year or two ago.

Zer0Saber

Aug 20, 2008
still gonna get it. This will free up a lot of real estate in my entertainment center.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
SkarKrow said:
Hope this thing actually works out well and doesn't have issues like that Neo Geo X thing from a year or two ago.
My thoughts exactly. Does anyone know if it uses emulation? I might get one for my NES games (My NES died on me a few years ago) and GBC/GBA games (That screen...), but only if it runs the games as the original hardware would.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Carrots_macduff said:
this is a really cool idea.

im curious if nintendo and sega are involved with this, because one would assume that nintendo at least wouldnt just let this happen if they could help it, since theyve started selling all the classics on their eshop.

also, what sort of controllers does it use?
Well Nintendo and Sega have allowed custom NES and SNES mods for years now. It'll be pointless them doing something about this, since they aren't making any money from purchases of their old consoles anymore.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Doom972 said:
SkarKrow said:
My thoughts exactly. Does anyone know if it uses emulation? I might get one for my NES games (My NES died on me a few years ago) and GBC/GBA games (That screen...), but only if it runs the games as the original hardware would.
Well, it's predecessor the RetroN 3 (they skipped nr.4) doesn't use emulation, but rather a reproduction of the actual original hardware.
As far as clone consoles go, it is supposedly one of the best ones out there.

Some reviews:
Classic Game Room review [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmiLoAhYFec]
ReviewTechUSA review [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2oBcGim0a0]

In short: the games play as well as on the real thing. Audio and video can be a little off, but close enough that you won't notice unless you're a diehard retro enthusiast. The pack-in wireless controller suck, but you can plug in original ones. Comes with S-video. Compatible with the vast majority of games, but there are some exceptions.

If the RetroN 5 is anything like it's older brother, it should be a pretty good alternative to the actual hardware[footnote]Unless you're a hardcore aficionado. In that case, only the true article will do[/footnote].

Mike Richards

Nov 28, 2009
I've heard good things about it's predecessors, I just might have to get this. And, of course, some games I can actually play on it would be nice too. The only cartridge I own is Double Dragon 3, hardly a classic.

Oh well, I guess it's off to ebay I go

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I love my Retron 3 but can't wait to upgrade to the 5. They can take all the time they need, especially if there's a question about the thing overheating.

rhizhim said:
sadly he forgot to add the N64.
They probably won't make one that plays N64 games for a couple of years...something to do with the patent on how the N64 hardware reads those specific cartridges. That would make for an excellent 6...but then if they skip 6 and move right on to 7, the next format they could add would be a Master System card reader.