Return to Ostagar Bugged on Xbox Live

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Return to Ostagar Bugged on Xbox Live

The latest DLC for Dragon Age was uploaded to Xbox Live yesterday, but hold off on the fanfare for now.

If you, like most people, weren't aware, Dragon Age: Origins [http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Age-Origins-Pc/dp/B001IK1BWC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278970552&sr=1-1] DLC pack Return to Ostagar quietly made its way onto Xbox Live yesterday, but it doesn't look like this is a good thing. Those who downloaded the expansion seem to have introduced an undetected issue that re-locks previously unlocked specializations.

Specializations in Dragon Age are unique skill paths that can only be unlocked after reaching levels 7 and 14, and also require convincing certain characters to teach them or the proper manual to be found. Having these locked up again would be quite an annoyance.

Yesterday, BioWare Community Coordinator Chris Priestly happily announced that Return to Ostagar was "unexpectedly" available for download on the Xbox 360 and that the PC version would be coming later in the day. As of today, he's since written [http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/9/index/608506/1] that an Xbox Live "title update" that was "made available in preparation for the release of Return to Ostagar" is causing the specialization issue. BioWare is removing Return to Ostagar and doesn't recommend downloading the title update until all issues are resolved, while those who have already downloaded it have a fix incoming.

As far as the PC version of Return to Ostagar goes, it doesn't look like it ever made it out of BioWare, or I couldn't access it as of this writing anyway. The PS3 version was promised "later," which could mean within a day, a week, a month, a year, 200 years, or 10 seconds. When Return to Ostagar eventually ends up with a working release, it'll take players back to Ostagar. Yup, that's all I'm saying; I don't want to spoil anything.

(Via: 1up [http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3177608])

dagens24

Mar 20, 2004
Bugged DLC? Who would have thought! *sigh* Hopefully this doesn't turn into a Fallout 3 type situation; I still can't finish Point Lookout because I have the audacity to try to explore the bottom right quadrant of the map.

Also; yes, I'm aware that Bioware and Bethesda are two seperate developers all together. The point I'm trying to make is that developers push this DLC out there as quickly as possible to make a quick buck without really testing it. Heck, I bet most of the DLC was content they just cut from the core game so they could sell it to us later (I'm looking at you Resident Evil 5 multiplayer mode).

Quad08

Oct 18, 2009
TheNamlessGuy said:
Well I never....

This certainly never happened before!
IT'S YOU AGAIN! Sarcasm for the win

OT: Thats a darn shame. Good thing I didn't download it

Takoto

Mar 25, 2009
TheNamlessGuy said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
It's not as bad as what happened with "The Pitt" at least.
...What happened with the Pitt?
If I remember rightly when it came out, at first, it was massively glitchy. Same with Mothership Zeta...

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
TheNamlessGuy said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
I didn't get it when it first came out, but my friends said that there were floating green "!"s and it was missing textures.

high_castle

Apr 15, 2009
I downloaded this, played it, was happy, and then found the glitch. *sigh* I love BioWare dearly and never complain about minor bugs, but this one's broken my game as it stands now. Which means I have a nice, shiny $60 paperweight at the moment.

high_castle

Apr 15, 2009
mattttherman3 said:
Not really a big deal for me, the classes I use I can get in one playthrough.
Hope I'm not double-posting. Just wanted to clarify: the specs are broken. You can unlock them, but unless you allocate the skill point right then and there, it'll re-lock when you power down and then there's no way to unlock again. Plus, manuals you used previously are gone for good, meaning no way to unlock ranger or spirit healer.

FirsstormGojkilp

Jan 13, 2010
I really love DA:O and wanted this expansion pack, but as a PS3 owner it is due to be released 'later'. I suppose since it screwed up for the Xbox people i shouldn't be too jealous, but how come the PS3 things for this game (even the game itself) seem to come out later than Xbox and PC? It's discrimination!

lumenadducere

May 19, 2008
FirsstormGojkilp said:
I really love DA:O and wanted this expansion pack, but as a PS3 owner it is due to be released 'later'. I suppose since it screwed up for the Xbox people i shouldn't be too jealous, but how come the PS3 things for this game (even the game itself) seem to come out later than Xbox and PC? It's discrimination!
It's not discrimination - the approval and certification process takes longer for the PS3 than it does for either the PC or the 360. If you're going to be upset at anyone, be upset with Sony.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
TheNamlessGuy said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
When The Pitt for Fallout 3 was first released, it was missing, many, many texture and graphics files (due to an upload error), causing the infamous Bethesda "!" triangles to appear all over the corner of the Washingtion D.C. wasteland where the DLC entrance was, and if you somehow managed to make it into The Pitt, it was almost completely blank, with the "!" triangles everywhere, and unplayable, causing lock-ups and crashes.

The second time it was released, there was a new glitch involving monster spawns near the entrance to DLC, which would cause the game to crash if you got within 1.5 grid squares of the entrance, even if you weren't trying to do the glitch.

Finally, after all that was finished, there were some issues involving the equipment locker that you are supposed to retrieve your things from after the arena showdown, but that was patched later.