Review: 25th Anniversary Edition of Super Mario All-Stars

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Review: 25th Anniversary Edition of Super Mario All-Stars

Four old games are not worth the price-tag.

Read Full Article

MOTHERfan42

Oct 28, 2010
Phew, I'm glad I'm not the only one who was skeptical about SMAS being a 110% copy of the SNES original. Everywhere I go on the internet, I see people saying "Wow, Super Mario All Stars Wii! I can't wait to play all these games again for $30!" while I'm sitting there thinking "You know, you can always download the VC originals (which are superior to the SMAS versions) for a bit cheaper or even emulate the original Super Mario All Stars if you're that kind of person.

mocruz1200

Jan 17, 2009
whats that one saying?????oh yeah.....
IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT
(but seriously, they could have at least tried to make it LOOK different.) Now i will just torrent the non-game stuff and pop all stars on my SNES

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
I just find it hilarious that so many people think that this is a ripoff, but Sony puts out God of War Collection and Sly Collection and everyone says "Thank you!" and throws their money away. They don't even have the graphics upgrade that All Stars has over the original versions, they just press the widescreen and upscale buttons, toss in trophies and call it a day. I don't know about the Sly games, but for the God of War titles they didn't even press the upscale button on all of the content. Half the cutscenes would suddenly look like you were playing an original SNES on your HDTV. So not only is it nothing more than a simple port, but it's also a lazy port. And it's also a port of games for a system that you can still buy new in stores. At least Nintendo has the excuse that you can't pick up a brand new SNES and find a copy of All Stars in the GameStop used games section. And yeah the NES versions are on the VC, so if you don't care about the graphics you can save some money, but if you do then All Stars is here for you and you aren't about to get it anywhere else for Wii. The only thing Sony can say for their collections is "Yeah we took out the ability to play these games on their original discs so now you can just buy these games all over again! And while you're at it, here's the PSP Go, get one of those and re-buy your PSP collection from us as well."

So yeah. I just don't get why Nintendo gets blasted for re-releasing a game you can't your hands on easily, but Sony does the same thing with games that aren't that hard to find and people act like they are awesome when in reality it is Sony that's really ripping people off.

gardyna

Jun 7, 2010
mjc0961 said:
I just find it hilarious that so many people think that this is a ripoff, but Sony puts out God of War Collection and Sly Collection and everyone says "Thank you!" and throws their money away. They don't even have the graphics upgrade that All Stars has over the original versions, they just press the widescreen and upscale buttons, toss in trophies and call it a day. I don't know about the Sly games, but for the God of War titles they didn't even press the upscale button on all of the content. Half the cutscenes would suddenly look like you were playing an original SNES on your HDTV. So not only is it nothing more than a simple port, but it's also a lazy port. And it's also a port of games for a system that you can still buy new in stores. At least Nintendo has the excuse that you can't pick up a brand new SNES and find a copy of All Stars in the GameStop used games section. And yeah the NES versions are on the VC, so if you don't care about the graphics you can save some money, but if you do then All Stars is here for you and you aren't about to get it anywhere else for Wii. The only thing Sony can say for their collections is "Yeah we took out the ability to play these games on their original discs so now you can just buy these games all over again! And while you're at it, here's the PSP Go, get one of those and re-buy your PSP collection from us as well."

So yeah. I just don't get why Nintendo gets blasted for re-releasing a game you can't your hands on easily, but Sony does the same thing with games that aren't that hard to find and people act like they are awesome when in reality it is Sony that's really ripping people off.
they released super mario all stars + world on the super nintendo back in the day and this version hasn´t changed anything from that original carterige. at least the collections from sony are all the games in one disk with updated visuals and trophies while this game is exactly the same as the one a lot of people bought back in the day (in short sony actualy did something to the game while nintendo didn´t)

side note: i thought it was obvious from a lot of games (namely DKC) that nintendo i using nostalgia to an almost criminal level to sell their games. i haven´t played the original DKC and i though it was okay (not as spectacular as some people are saying but not bad) i realy hope that this nostalgia starts to wear off soon so we can see something new from nintendo (i would like to instigate a chalange here: name five original exclusive IP´s on the wii (no sequels and no old nintendo franchises) i´m gona guess that this will be dificult for most of you)

Folio

Jun 11, 2010
Looking at this makes me sad. I already bought and played these games with the Virtual Console.

They didn't even add my favorite: Super Mario World, which I had for the Advance and I lost it.

That's pretty sloppy. Really, really sloppy.

Sabrestar

Apr 13, 2010
mjc0961 said:
I just find it hilarious that so many people think that this is a ripoff, but Sony puts out God of War Collection and Sly Collection and everyone says "Thank you!" and throws their money away.
I don't own any of those games nor a PS3 so I hadn't paid attention, but sure, I'll be happy to call that a ripoff too. (Then again I do tend to call everything Sony sells a ripoff.)

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
Good for younger players who want to look into some retro games, perhaps. Although I couldn't possibly play Super Mario Bros. 1 with updated graphics. Not at all.

Man, I still play that game, and it's even more fun now than it was back in my childhood.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Lol. $30?

That's not even so bad.

The UK price for this was £24.99

And the 4 games seperately on the Virtual console comes to 2100 points.

Now, from memory, if you buy them on the Wii shop channel, you pay £7.99 for 1000 points.

That means, the total cost of buying all 4 titles is £16.97

So, you're paying an extra £8.02 here... For...? (that's $12+ if you want a conversion)

Spot1990 said:
Not to mention the fact that the entire SMAS is about five hours of gameplay.
Wait, what? Have you actually played any of these games? Without taking the shortcuts that is?

OK, this isn't in this collection, but Super Mario World serves a decent example.
If you take the shortest route to the end game, you can finish it in <30 minutes.

If you play it through though...

The same logic applies to the older games.

Super Mario Bros - taking the warp to world 8 will cut out 90% of the game. But how does that count?

OK, there are about 24 stages, and they're designed to take 2 minutes to play if you can do them flawlessly.
But I doubt anyone's going to be that good unless they've played it a lot already.

Anyway... 5 hours. Huh. That just seems unlikely for all but the most inhumanly good players.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Greg Tito said:
Another problem I think is that the graphics SHOULDN'T be better.

The update makes the worlds more colorful, but they make Mario look a little weird, since they tried to keep Mario looking somewhat similar to his 8-bit counterpart.

The old graphics also are just more retro and nostalgic to the players that played the originals, which I think would hamper the experience if your trying to play the game to relive your favorite Christmas morning.

tehannihalator

Apr 6, 2010
gardyna said:
mjc0961 said:

they released super mario all stars + world on the super nintendo back in the day and this version hasn´t changed anything from that original carterige. at least the collections from sony are all the games in one disk with updated visuals and trophies while this game is exactly the same as the one a lot of people bought back in the day (in short sony actualy did something to the game while nintendo didn´t)

side note: i thought it was obvious from a lot of games (namely DKC) that nintendo i using nostalgia to an almost criminal level to sell their games. i haven´t played the original DKC and i though it was okay (not as spectacular as some people are saying but not bad) i realy hope that this nostalgia starts to wear off soon so we can see something new from nintendo (i would like to instigate a chalange here: name five original exclusive IP´s on the wii (no sequels and no old nintendo franchises) i´m gona guess that this will be dificult for most of you)
So Sony does what Nintendon't?
Please don't hit me.

Stilt-Man

Dec 31, 2009
I think this package is more of a souvenir for Mario's 25th Anniversary than a legitimate game release.