Review: 25th Anniversary Edition of Super Mario All-Stars

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
Maybe it's too much, but I still bought it.

The package looks good on my shelf, along with various other collectors editions,
and Mario is responsible for a fair share of my fondest childhood memories.

But, it wouldn't have killed them to toss in a little more.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Spot1990 said:
Unhappy Crow said:
I don't care if it's the same as the SNES version excluding SMW. I never played All Stars on the SNES during my elementary school years. I'm actually glad I got this as a Xmas gift. 30 bucks is not a big deal, especially when you get it 10 bucks off from Best Buy (Reward Zone holiday discount ftw).
That's still 20 bucks for
like half a dozen Mbs of game. The issue is that there really is no way to justify that price point for a game where literally all of the work has been done for at least 17 years. This port could have been made by one guy on his lunch break. There are indie games that offer way more content for one or two bucks. Honestly, each of the SM All Stars games individually on a digital download should cost like a buck at this stage. But if for some reason you want them on a disc with a booklet and soundtrack. 10, 15 bucks tops.

Honestly I think

8.99 GBP
12.99 Euro
14.99 USD

Would be a reasonable price. Because all the expenses for this game was packaging, advertising and shipping.
I agree with you, but I think you're a little off on the size of the games. An average SNES game runs between one and two megabytes, so if they were going to give us half a dozen megs worth of games, they could easily give us Allstars, World, and Yoshi's Island. Heck, considering that they managed to slip World into a cartridge along with the games in Allstars, my guess would be that they would have to throw in another game before actually hitting half a dozen megs.

You know what really gets me about this, and the prices on the virtual console in general? When Sega releases their old Genesis games on a disc, you get dozens of games on one disc, for roughly $20. That means you get a whole lot more games for a whole lot less money than you do from Nintendo. I might pay $5 a pop for some of these games if I could find an actual cartridge, but Nintendo is barking up the wrong tree if they think I'll pay that for a digital copy; $30 for one game, an art book, and a CD is right out.

thejboy88

Aug 29, 2010
Personally, I think it's great that Nintendo are re-releasing this old hit for the Wii as a retail game. I've always maintained that if they are really serious about their updated "old school" market plan, they should have done this right at the start of the Wii's launch. Hell, they should probably go one further and re-release other old classics, like Starfox, a Link to the past or Super Castlevania IV for the Wii too.

Seriously, who here would'nt want to buy THAT on retail?

Mr. Fister

Jun 21, 2008
Stilt-Man said:
I think this package is more of a souvenir for Mario's 25th Anniversary than a legitimate game release.
Exactly. Nintendo always pitched this as a collector's item in the vein of the Metroid Prime Trilogy, not as the next big Mario game. The fact that they're only going to ship a set amount of copies like MPT only solidifies this.

Collectors and Retro/Mario fans will be all over this no matter what reviewers say.

AngelSword

Castles & Chemo Founder
Oct 19, 2008
mocruz1200 said:
whats that one saying?????oh yeah.....
IF IT AINT BROKE DONT FIX IT
(but seriously, they could have at least tried to make it LOOK different.) Now i will just torrent the non-game stuff and pop all stars on my SNES
It kind of is broken...slightly.

I recently picked it up the collection (because I'm a sucker for a soundtrack), popped it into my Wii, and found that, when the game is stretched from the native display format, a lot of the objects get this weird shimmering rainbow effect.

But I suppose that's telling of how they're making money from this. How many other people bought it on brand recognition?

starwarsgeek

Nov 30, 2009
Nintendo openly stated it was a re-release. We knew ahead of time that the controllers were the only difference. The entire idea was celebrating the roots of the series...a 2.5D remake would have defeated that purpose. It's a collectors' item. Digital just lacks the appeal of an actual box, booklets, and CDs, which, obviously, come with production, distribution, and retailing costs instead of just advertising. I wouldn't be suprised if buying the four games seperately on the Virtual Console would actually be more profitable for Nintendo.

And, seriously? These complaints never made sense to me. Nintendo is re-relasing a game to celebrate their flagship franchise's aniversary, and people complain that it's a re-release (I guess they assumed Nintendo was lying?). Nintendo charges roughly half the cost of the average modern game (which, typically, will not be as good as an SNES classic), and people complain that it's a lazy cash-in and a rip-off (Because they demand that this be released on the Virtual Console for $8, because anything higher than that for a classic game is simply an insult, and digital distribution in its current form is exactly as good as a disc)