Review: 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007

You're on a boat with nine hours to live, unless you're clever enough to escape.

Read Full Article

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I really don't want to buy any other games until March (Pokemon, Dragon Age)...

But now I have to.

I've heard too many good things about this game already.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Great, like there isn't enough games I'm after now I need to add this one to the pile. D:

I frakking loved Hotel Dusk so it looks like I'm going to have to get this game as well...

psychic psycho

Dec 17, 2009
Nice, I'm glad this game got reviewed. Wish it was a little sooner though. It's a fantastic game. Everyone with access to a DS NEEDS to play this game.
Susan Arendt said:
It never fails. No sooner have I written up my favorite games of the year, than I play one that would have undoubtedly earned a spot had I just gotten to it a little faster.
That almost happened to me as well. I played this game late December. When I finished it, I immediately knew it was the best game I played all year.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
psychic psycho said:
Susan Arendt said:
It never fails. No sooner have I written up my favorite games of the year, than I play one that would have undoubtedly earned a spot had I just gotten to it a little faster.
That almost happened to me as well. I played this game late December. When I finished it, I immediately knew it was the best game I played all year.
And that happened to me with Singularity. I would easily have placed that in my Top 7...999 would probably be #1 from the sounds of it.

psychic psycho

Dec 17, 2009
Some other comments I want to add...
Susan Arendt said:
When observing tiny details make the difference between winning and receiving a knife in the back, reading long passages takes on a whole new kind of urgency
After playing the game one more time after finishing it, I noticed there are several clues that help lead to the correct path(s). The only problem is that you'd only notice them once you've finished the game.

Susan Arendt said:
Genre: Family/Puzzle
I don't think 999 fits in the "family" genre. Isn't the game rated M? It was pretty violent.

Onyx Oblivion said:
And that happened to me with Singularity. I would easily have placed that in my Top 7...999 would probably be #1 from the sounds of it.
I enjoyed Singularity, but for some reason I can't remember much about it.

stefman

Jan 9, 2011
Onyx Oblivion said:
psychic psycho said:
Susan Arendt said:
it will. i love it. its a little confusing so pay attention but the multiple endings, sidestories, characters and overall presentation really set it apart and create something unique. Oh and F*&$ sudoku puzzles!!!!!

Buchichu

Apr 2, 2010
This is basically one of the best DS games i have EVER played. Westerners like to whine about all the reading - this game is a VISUAL NOVEL/puzzle game. I hate seeing reviews where they act like this is some sort of downfall to the game. It's like playing a fighting game and complaining that there's too much fighting. You should know what you're getting into when you start playing a VISUAL NOVEL.

Anywho, as such, this is one of the best written and applied, not to mention the puzzles and characters are fantastic. You pretty much have to complete all the endings to get the full story, but after you start playing, believe me, you'll WANT to. Wonderful mind-screw as well.

I SO urge everyone to get this one.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
So, I opened this review. Saw the picture beside the text. Sighed at the sight of the offensively fetish girl with gargantuan breasts exploding out of her skimpy dress, and closed the review.

Sorry Susan, I'm a big fan, but I can't seriously read a review for a game with that in it.

EDIT: I'm not saying this is a bad game. I don't know if its bad or not. I just can't take it seriously/lost interest.

Dorkmaster Flek

Mar 13, 2008
GrizzlerBorno said:
So, I opened this review. Saw the picture beside the text. Sighed at the sight of the offensively fetish girl with gargantuan breasts exploding out of her skimpy dress, and closed the review.

Sorry Susan, I'm a big fan, but I can't seriously read a review for a game with that in it.
I know, I know, it looks bad on first glance. Trust me, even thought the characters are total anime cliches out of the gate, they do actually have some depth to them once you get into the game. I don't want to spoil anything for people that haven't played it yet, but I was pleasantly surprised by a couple parts with that particular character.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
This would be a game I put onto my list of games to buy (I love Hotel Dusk and planning to get Last Window soon) but there is no confirm date for Europe... Something tell me I will get frustrated with the game easily since I got stuck in the demo (I was able to combine two items to get the decoder but it didn't help to open the briefcase.

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
GrizzlerBorno said:

EDIT: I'm not saying this is a bad game. I don't know if its bad or not. I just can't take it seriously/lost interest.
If you have that much of a problem ignoring it, you're missing out on many games that have it, such as the entire Ace Attorney series, also known as (in my opinion) the best puzzle series ever!

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
Susan Arendt said:

You're on a boat with nine hours to live, unless you're clever enough to escape.

Read Full Article
Reading the article I was going to ask how it plays in relation to Hotel Dusk. Thanks for reading my mind in time for the recomendation.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
GrizzlerBorno said:

Oh, I get that. Lotus (the character in question) is quite distracting whenever she's on screen. (Though, oddly, she's frequently called an "old woman" in the text.) But don't let that prevent you from trying the game, which is truly excellent and unusual.

Halley M said:
This is basically one of the best DS games i have EVER played. Westerners like to whine about all the reading - this game is a VISUAL NOVEL/puzzle game. I hate seeing reviews where they act like this is some sort of downfall to the game. It's like playing a fighting game and complaining that there's too much fighting. You should know what you're getting into when you start playing a VISUAL NOVEL.

Anywho, as such, this is one of the best written and applied, not to mention the puzzles and characters are fantastic. You pretty much have to complete all the endings to get the full story, but after you start playing, believe me, you'll WANT to. Wonderful mind-screw as well.

I SO urge everyone to get this one.
The reading isn't a downfall to the game -it's part of what makes it so remarkable, actually - but it is something that is going to put off certain players. If they've never encountered a visual novel before, they have no idea what to expect. As such, I'd be doing a disservice to our readers if I didn't mention it.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
I would take the stripper with me. Hopefully she's into "rewarding" my efforts.

...seriously tho, why is there a stripper in this game?

VondeVon

Dec 30, 2009
I loved the background art style but the anime sprites completely spoil the mood for me. The backgrounds are all suspenseful and then you have hyper-cheerful-giggly anime dudes yapping at you.

The text wouldn't be so bad if you could skip/turbo it right from the start. I read faster than it displayed and the chirpy little noise it produced was also counter to the mood.

I would probably play the game if I found it cheap somewhere, just to deliberately explode the chests of anyone I didn't like. XD

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
GrizzlerBorno said:

Oh, I get that. Lotus (the character in question) is quite distracting whenever she's on screen. (Though, oddly, she's frequently called an "old woman" in the text.) But don't let that prevent you from trying the game, which is truly excellent and unusual.
*sigh*....Alright, fine, I'll read it. But only cause you said so.
Well, you actually asked me to play it; which i can't do because i do not have a DS. so sorry.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Susan Arendt wants to know what's up with Lotus' outfit. I mean, seriously.
My guess is that a certain reproductive organ is supposed to be up. Not that I get why, personally.
Sounds like a good game, but not for me.

RikSharp

Feb 11, 2009
Scarim Coral said:
This would be a game I put onto my list of games to buy (I love Hotel Dusk and planning to get Last Window soon) but there is no confirm date for Europe... Something tell me I will get frustrated with the game easily since I got stuck in the demo (I was able to combine two items to get the decoder but it didn't help to open the briefcase.
the code is in a couple places, on the bulletin board above the sink and under the pillow on the lower bunk in north west of the room. use the decoder (and the colors) to work out the combination. Then freak out when you realise that there are 2 briefcases...

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
VondeVon said:
I loved the background art style but the anime sprites completely spoil the mood for me. The backgrounds are all suspenseful and then you have hyper-cheerful-giggly anime dudes yapping at you.

The text wouldn't be so bad if you could skip/turbo it right from the start. I read faster than it displayed and the chirpy little noise it produced was also counter to the mood.

I would probably play the game if I found it cheap somewhere, just to deliberately explode the chests of anyone I didn't like. XD
Agreed on the chirpy noise - I usually turned the sound down. And if you hold down the B button, the text fills in faster.