Review: 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors

standokan

May 28, 2009
This probably is one of the last good games to come out on the regular ds, god I hate the ds 3D, especialy because I bought a new ds not too long ago.

Eikoandmog

Summoner and Pal
May 7, 2008
Susan Arendt wants to know what's up with Lotus' outfit. I mean, seriously.
Actually, I know the answer to this one. I've heard rumors that when the original designs were made, Lotus was supposed to be Alice(If you haven't played, you'll have NO IDEA what I'm talking about).

Anyway, I absolutely love this game. All the characters are well designed, the plot twists are very well done to the point of a mindscrew and the art is very well done. The renders of environments at times are a tad off, but that's not why I played through all 5 endings.

T_ConX

Mar 8, 2010
Got it for Christmas. Loved it.

The games strongest asset it's it's plot. It's filled with so many twists and mysteries that it's impossible to describe it's brilliance without spoiling it.

Buchichu

Apr 2, 2010
standokan said:
This probably is one of the last good games to come out on the regular ds, god I hate the ds 3D, especialy because I bought a new ds not too long ago.
I'm playing Ghost Trick right now and it's damn damn good. Not 999 good, but damn good. But I agree with you, the 3DS is going to ruin everything and I'm bitter because a) I just got a DSi XL and thus those regular-sized ones are WAAAAY too small for me now and I've seen nothing about a 3DS XL yet and b) I'm legally blind in one eye so the 3D might not even work for me which makes the whole novelty of the stupid thing moot. And it looks like a ripoff.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Hmm...no, definitely not my thing but credit to the development company for making something a bit unusual.

Alkore

May 25, 2009
if its anything like hotel dusk i will probobly have a few sleepless nights ahead of me and from the demo this certainly seems to be the case.

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
I bought and beat this game due to reading several of these recommendations on various sites. I have to say I was gravely disappointed. The writing isn't up there, but why should it be, it's a graphic novel. It reminded me very much of the old D&D Choose your Own Adventure books. Kind of a pulp style of writing, especially with the graphic Saw style violence theme. Then the end rolls along and predictably it's someone who couldn't have pulled it off, and the plot holes are profuse. No doubt if I played it over with the knowledge in hand of how to solve some of the puzzles faster or with fewer slip ups I'd garner a more realistic down to earth ending, but the way a game like this clocks hours is by near guaranteeing that I get the crap ending if I go through first time without a FAQ.
As games go perhaps this is a good graphical novel. It was not an entertaining game however.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Alkore said:
if its anything like hotel dusk i will probobly have a few sleepless nights ahead of me and from the demo this certainly seems to be the case.
This was one of many games I brought with me on my recent vacation to a remote cabin in the Smoky Mountains. I ended up not touching any of the others - once I started 999, I couldn't bear to put it down. I still haven't gotten the "true" ending.

justnotcricket

Echappe, retire, sous sus PANIC!
Apr 24, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Alkore said:
This was one of many games I brought with me on my recent vacation to a remote cabin in the Smoky Mountains. I ended up not touching any of the others - once I started 999, I couldn't bear to put it down. I still haven't gotten the "true" ending.
I sooo want to get this game! I loved Hotel Dusk...I can't seem to see many hints about it coming out here (New Zealand) anytime soon though *sigh*

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
I just played the demo,just set it up for rental off of Gamefly (Not many people are trying to rent it)

Ragnarok2kx

Nov 18, 2009
I totally did a double take when I saw the link to the demo, It's the only DS game I know of that has a demo.
It looks pretty interesting too. As a fan of point-and-click adventure games, I think I can dig this.

psychic psycho

Dec 17, 2009
RobfromtheGulag said:
Did you get the "true" ending. If you didn't I can see how you feel that way. The fewest amount of playthroughs needed to see it is two; and that's if you know the exact paths. It may seem cheap to require players to replay the game, but it ends up making total sense why it's needed. If you did see the true ending, and still didn't like it...I don't know what to say.

Susan Arendt said:
Oh, you still haven't gotten the true ending? I thought that review wasn't positive enough. Once you see the conclusive ending, I think you might want to review the game again.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
psychic psycho said:
RobfromtheGulag said:
Did you get the "true" ending. If you didn't I can see how you feel that way. The fewest amount of playthroughs needed to see it is two; and that's if you know the exact paths. It may seem cheap to require players to replay the game, but it ends up making total sense why it's needed. If you did see the true ending, and still didn't like it...I don't know what to say.

Susan Arendt said:
Oh, you still haven't gotten the true ending? I thought that review wasn't positive enough. Once you see the conclusive ending, I think you might want to review the game again.
No, my opinion won't change. The game definitely needs a notepad function, or some other way of dealing with doing the puzzles over and over again. The option to skip text you've read a dozen time is fantastic, but there needs to be something similar for the puzzles.

Also, reviews aren't based solely on personal enjoyment; while I happen to adore this game, I recognize that it's certainly not for everyone. Now, if we did half numbers, I might give this a 4.5, but as we don't, a 4 it is.

psychic psycho

Dec 17, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
No, my opinion won't change. The game definitely needs a notepad function, or some other way of dealing with doing the puzzles over and over again. The option to skip text you've read a dozen time is fantastic, but there needs to be something similar for the puzzles.

Also, reviews aren't based solely on personal enjoyment; while I happen to adore this game, I recognize that it's certainly not for everyone. Now, if we did half numbers, I might give this a 4.5, but as we don't, a 4 it is.
Sorry about that, I didn't mean that the review was premature or anything. Everything you said in it was valid. That was really just me trying to hype up the ending to make sure you got to see the ending. It's quite an experience.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
psychic psycho said:
Susan Arendt said:

Sorry about that, I didn't mean that the review was premature or anything. Everything you said in it was valid. That was really just me trying to hype up the ending to make sure you got to see the ending. It's quite an experience.
Oh, don't worry, I'm dying to get it, I'm just reluctant to look it up, and I've played through so many times that I'm a bit burnt out.

GeminiStar

Jan 16, 2010
\
psychic psycho said:
Did you get the "true" ending. If you didn't I can see how you feel that way. The fewest amount of playthroughs needed to see it is two; and that's if you know the exact paths. It may seem cheap to require players to replay the game, but it ends up making total sense why it's needed.
Not to mention that playing through to see the alternate endings is kinda, you know, the point of a visual novel. If you're not going at it with the goal of unlocking all the endings (yes, even the Bad ones) and learning all the secrets, you're really not playing the genre correctly. Which would be a shame, because 999's true ending uses that aspect of the genre - and the duel-screen nature of the DS - to great narrative effect that enhances an already solid and engaging story.

psychic psycho

Dec 17, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Oh, don't worry, I'm dying to get it, I'm just reluctant to look it up, and I've played through so many times that I'm a bit burnt out.
Nice, I wish I could say that myself. I caved in and looked it up after 3 straight playthroughs without getting an ending I didn't see.

GeminiStar said:
Which would be a shame, because 999's true ending uses that aspect of the genre - and the duel-screen nature of the DS - to great narrative effect that enhances an already solid and engaging story.
I couldn't say it any better myself. It's a story that can only be told through videogames. It utilizes the DS so masterfully to tell it.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Halley M said:
standokan said:
I'm playing Ghost Trick right now and it's damn damn good. Not 999 good, but damn good. But I agree with you, the 3DS is going to ruin everything and I'm bitter because a) I just got a DSi XL and thus those regular-sized ones are WAAAAY too small for me now and I've seen nothing about a 3DS XL yet and b) I'm legally blind in one eye so the 3D might not even work for me which makes the whole novelty of the stupid thing moot. And it looks like a ripoff.
Honestly? These posts smack to me like GBC gamers grumbling about the GBA after it was announced, or GBA gamers after the DS was announced. Or PSP gamers when the PSP2 is announced, for that matter.

Ignoring the whole 3D thing, it's a significantly powerful machine than the vanilla DSes. Plus, it's been six years. Deal with it.

Folio

Jun 11, 2010
I agree with Susan. Lotus looks ridiculous in that outfit. (I know why they put her in that, but still, it doesn't match anything except her bra size.)