Review: A World of Keflings

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
Interesting evolutions to Black & White and the build-out RTS's. No "stakes" really removes any incentive for me to even start. But as an interactive Lego set with my avatar as grand conductor, instead of as invisible Machiavelli, I can see the diversion value.

Perhaps it's just a first shot, and they have plans for modes that add the danger/puzzle aspects you mentioned? Also, did anyone else read the name of the game and mistakenly think it was a Dark Crystal tie-in for a split second? ;)

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
I think I'll take your advice and try the demo. Sometimes a slow paced building game where you don't have to worry about creepers is a good thing.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
Bottom text below the video: 'This video is a part of a text preview - see the full Costume Quest: Grubbins on Ice review here.'. Copy-pasta.

Seems like a decent little game, but it seems like there should be some (optional) threat in it to keep it going.

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
Seems like it might have the standard console issue in this kind of game. Whats it like? And looks like Stronghold, only better.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
The Cheezy One said:
Seems like it might have the standard console issue in this kind of game. Whats it like? And looks like Stronghold, only better.
I'm not sure I understand the question. Did you read the review?

Ashoten

Aug 29, 2010
Some sort of hybrid between Black and White and Farmville? That sounds....odd.

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
The Cheezy One said:
Yeah, sorry, that was a bit obscure. The issue I was talking about is the one that afflicts top drown strategy games on consoles - How easy is it to align your character, and thus the block you are trying to place, in the exact way you want? Would this be made easier by the use of PC controls? Just at the end of the video review, you seem to have a bit of a wrestle with the location of the cannon

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
The Cheezy One said:
Susan Arendt said:
The Cheezy One said:
Yeah, sorry, that was a bit obscure. The issue I was talking about is the one that afflicts top drown strategy games on consoles - How easy is it to align your character, and thus the block you are trying to place, in the exact way you want? Would this be made easier by the use of PC controls? Just at the end of the video review, you seem to have a bit of a wrestle with the location of the cannon
Ah, actually, it's no problem at all. A square on the ground shows you exactly where something will be placed, should you set it down, and rotating it is simply a matter of hitting the X button. If the square is behind a structure, a pillar of light also shows up to help you get a better idea of where it will be placed (the camera doesn't do a full rotation, so sometimes you can't manage a clear view ).

The only way you're likely to mess something up is by rushing, which I do all the time. :)

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
What were you doing with the cannon at the very end? Trying to launch a Kefling into the water?

On a completely unrelated note: Why won't Lionhead announce Black and White 3? That game was great :/

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
GrizzlerBorno said:
What were you doing with the cannon at the very end? Trying to launch a Kefling into the water?

On a completely unrelated note: Why won't Lionhead announce Black and White 3? That game was great :/
I think she was shooting Keflings into cannons, to then shoot them into cannons, and so on.

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
I actually really like the game mechanic of being the person to pick up blocks, mine resources, and give orders, even though most actions are optional. It seems to give the game more personality, more so than Dungeon Keeper's floating hand, or any other strategy game cursor. I'd love to see that applied in (hate that word) 'hardcore' strategy games, so that you actually are an in-game entity rather than an incorporeal overlord. It would make assaults on your base all the more threatening because it's not just your base that the enemy is out to destroy, it's you. Which makes the lack of any threats in this game even more disappointing.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
It looks like a cross between Black and White and ANNO (known as dawn of discovery in NA)