Review: Abe's Oddysee

Standby

Jul 24, 2008
Well thought out and put-together review, i echo many a sentiment.

Might have to see if i can dig out my old Playstation for some Oddysee and Exodus!

Mackinator

Apr 21, 2009
Ahh I remember the original of that game. Fond, fond, memories.
Nice review by the by.
Nailog said:
A note, for those who can't play it on the Playstation.
It's available for purchase on Steam as well as Good Old Games.
Thanks for the heads up, I might take a look.

Dr Pussymagnet

a real piece of shit
Dec 20, 2007
I think the one thing I loved about this game more than anything else was the character designs.

Oddworld has the most colorful, and imaginative characters I've ever seen in a video game.

Rascarin

Feb 8, 2009
The Oddworld games are absolutely my favourite games of ALL TIME. Exoddus was the best, then Oddysee, then Munch, then Stranger. They are SO good. I've spent over £500 on collectibles for this series!

AboveUp

May 21, 2008
I miss my old PlayStation, this and Exodus were 2 of my favorite games on that system.

Thank you for bringing the memory of those amazing games back.
Looking at the graphics now, the game has aged quite well, especially when compared to most games released around the same time.

Rascarin said:
Exoddus was the best, then Oddysee
Exactly. Exodus was a better game, I was really glad they added the "Allaya" command. It didn't have the same impact that Oddysee had, being a direct sequel, but it added a lot and was an amazing game by itself.

Cptn_Squishy

Mar 4, 2009
Here's what bothers me...the Oddworld series was supposed to be a quintology. Game one was Abe's oddysee and Abe's Exoddus. Game two was Munch's Oddysee. Game three was Stranger's Wrath. That leaves two...or is this going to be like the Legacy of Kain series where they say 'Wed like to thank our rabid fans who bought our games and love our stories and gameplay...now go fuck yourself, cause were not going to finish the story.'

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Ah good old Abe's Odysee, first Playstation (for that matter first game on any platform) I ever got, still have it lying around here somewhere lol. Damn good game :D

Amarok

Dec 13, 2008
FelixFox. said:
Amarok said:
*angry nerd glasses*
Not ALL Mudokons have stitched lips; Abe had his mouth sewn up because he cried loudly as a baby!
*removes the angry nerd glasses*
I thought it was just because he was a slave, did many of them not have they're lips sewn up?

Has anyone played Stranger? If so, what's the opinion?
Are you questioning my divine nerdy will!? I rescued all 99 Mudokons therefore I know everything!!!

Meh, ok, maybe wasn't the only one to have his lips stitched up - but certainly not every Mudokon has 'em :D In Abe's Exoddus he was called "Stitch lips" as some kinda taunt from another Mudokon.

Insert Comedy Here

May 22, 2009
I'm glad I never chucked out my Playstation, Oddworld holds it's place as my rainy-day-and-broken-Xbox game.

The Sligs were fun to possess then self-destruct.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
dunnace said:
Haha, thanks for the praise guys, stitch lips noted (I can't believe I forgot that...) and Strangers was an odd one for me, I initially hated it for not having muddokens and sligs in, but I grew to love it, whether it's an Oddworld game is still a bit of a moot point with me. Munch was too hard, even for Oddworld.
Oddworld is what got me hooked on gaming again after a long haitus. A friend of mine had just bought a Playstation and he showed me the Abe's Oddyssey demo. From that moment I fell in love. It was mainly the amazing visualization that just grabbed me by the balls.

NeonZombie

Feb 5, 2009
I used to be terrified of this as a kid. But i still loved every minute. I always got the bad ending though :(

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Amarok said:
*angry nerd glasses*
Not ALL Mudokons have stitched lips; Abe had his mouth sewn up because he cried loudly as a baby!

Aaah, I think I might just buy it again on Steam :)
Yeah, you got a point there. I was thinking along similar lines with some of them having their eyes stiched aswell and so on. Man...I loved those smileys of Abe games with all the different Mudokon emotions and stitches :D.
plastic_window said:
Dude. It's awesome.

Brilliant graphics for the Xbox - they still look good if you ask me, with some beautiful animations, varied settings and character designs; comfortable controls for both 3rd and 1st person view-points; a typically dark and comical Oddworld storyline.

The only bad thing for me is the lack of sound quality, it's so low and gravelly during gameplay that you'll need to turn on subtitles, but during the exquisitely-rendered cutscenes it's fine.

If you have the means, go pick it up. One of the best console-shooters ever made.
Damn. When I realised that the developers had jumped the ship and no longer made games for Playstation it really crushed my spirit. I'd love to try this...maybe someday.
Casual Shinji said:
Oddworld is what got me hooked on gaming again after a long haitus. A friend of mine had just bought a Playstation and he showed me the Abe's Oddyssey demo. From that moment I fell in love. It was mainly the amazing visualization that just grabbed me by the balls.
The Abe demo is what got me hooked in console gaming too. I must have played that demo a good 50 times before just going out and buying the game. I never knew how to chant in the demo so I finished atleast half of the game without it :D. Best demo ever.

Takoto

Mar 25, 2009
woem said:
I wasn't aware there was a third Oddworld game, but by the looks of it Munch's Oddysee doesn't really follow the 2D platform idea, and that's what makes it extra special for me.
Yeah, Munch's Oddysee was 3D. It was still pretty fun. There was also a forth Oddworld game, but it didn't feature Abe... It was Oddworld: Strangers Wrath.
I have it, but haven't played it much... yet. xD

plastic_window

Jun 29, 2008
AboveUp said:
Rascarin said:
Exoddus was the best, then Oddysee
Exactly. Exodus was a better game, I was really glad they added the "Allaya" command. It didn't have the same impact that Oddysee had, being a direct sequel, but it added a lot and was an amazing game by itself.
I agree with you. Not just the "Allaya" command, the quicksave was a Godsend.

Oh, by the way, Exoddus is spelled with 2 d's again. As in, exODDus. Glorious word-play :3

Sharpeye42

Mar 26, 2009
this game seems to be popping up a lot lately for me, yesterday i just so happened to stumble upon my original copy for PS.

brabz

Jan 3, 2008
Absolutely great review. Still stinks that Lorne Lanning screwed gamers when he abandoned the series for movies when he abandoned.

Glad to see the game is gaining enough exposure on Steam and other places to allow a new generation of persons to enjoy the offbeat humor, memorable characters, and great gameplay.

TheScarecrow

Jul 27, 2009
Amarok said:
FelixFox. said:
Amarok said:
*angry nerd glasses*
I thought it was just because he was a slave, did many of them not have they're lips sewn up?

Has anyone played Stranger? If so, what's the opinion?
Are you questioning my divine nerdy will!? I rescued all 99 Mudokons therefore I know everything!!!

Meh, ok, maybe wasn't the only one to have his lips stitched up - but certainly not every Mudokon has 'em :D In Abe's Exoddus he was called "Stitch lips" as some kinda taunt from another Mudokon.
Didn't "Stitch lips" become his nickname in general, or like a messianic name? I remember Raisin called him that.

Miral

Random Lurker
Jun 6, 2008
I loved these games to death. (Abe's death. A lot.)

The gameworld and character designs were wonderful, and it was a lot of fun to play -- even the really hard bits where I died a lot. I did eventually rescue all of the Mudokons in both games, though. :)

I originally played on PC; I still have my original discs but bought them again on Steam anyway.

(Never played Munch or Stranger, though, as those didn't get a PC port.)

Desert Tiger

Apr 25, 2009
You can buy it on PSN, too.

Abe's Exoddus was one of those rare examples of a game that was better than the one before it. If you complete Oddysee and still want more, buy Exoddus. It's frigging hilarious.