Review: Alan Wake: The Signal

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Review: Alan Wake: The Signal

The first batch of DLC for Alan Wake is a pretty big letdown.

Read Full Article

minotaur199

Sep 10, 2009
Hey is it just me, or is there an error with the video? i cant play it... Sry for the bother.

04whim

Apr 16, 2009
Yeah, I'm just getting a button marked "Play again" rather than an actual play... which wouldn't be a problem if it actually played when I hit it >.>

PseudoDuck

Bacon Robot
Oct 18, 2009
I've just played a bit (I think I can say that I'm up to the bit with the car without it being a spoiler as such) and I agree completely. Too much combat in this DLC.

I didn't mind the odd fight in the main game, but there was one moment (in the second to last episode I think it was) where you're in a building and LOADS of Taken appear, but you have little to no ammo to take them down, so you have to run outside and to the nearest checkpoint.
That was the worst moment in the main game and The Signal seems like they took that part and made DLC out of it.

I love the combat mechanic (taking on just enough Taken was fun), but the actual amount of combat in this episode is making it wear thin. I'll finish it tomorrow, and I may try and play though it again for all the achievements so, as it's free DLC I'll only say that it's a slight disappointment, rather than a major one.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Wished it was more...I loved the game, and, from the sounds of it this is obvious cash in 101...

PseudoDuck

Bacon Robot
Oct 18, 2009
Jaredin said:
Wished it was more...I loved the game, and, from the sounds of it this is obvious cash in 101...
Except it's free if you bought a new copy of the game...hardly a cash in. ;)

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I know they couldn't really answer questions in the DLC (in case people don't buy it and miss something important) but I really have no problem with them giving more questions; there's just no plot there.

It just reminded me of the most frustrating parts of the main game; too many enemies and random objects flying at you every fucking second during combat.

In one part the camera must have done the slow-mo turn around to reveal enemies too me 3 times in a bloody minute.

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
I just finished Alan Wake *looks at watch* 2 hours ago :p
However, I had to rent is so no code for me which leads me on to how much does this DLC cost? Or is that TBA?

Also, it's a shame they missed the point of the story (as in that is the core of the game) and focused on the not bland but reasonably repetitive combat...although towards the end of the game it was solid and satisfying.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Hmm video no worky for me either...

I agree with Susan on this, there wasn't much story but to be honest I still had a lot of fun.

I have just played it... in about 2 hours! I never really expected it to be very long, no longer than all the other episodes at any rate, so in that regard I can't complain. It was a lot harder than any of the others (I died a lot more anyway) and it's very fast paced and the gameplay is much more varied with some surprisingly fun parts. As usual it looks fantastic but I did have trouble in some parts because it was just TOO dark!

I'm glad it was free with my code though, I would feel a little bit duped if I'd had to pay for that. I know a lot of work goes into Alan Wake, but the quality does seem to hinder the quantity just a little too much in this case.

Susan Arendt said:
Susan Arendt still thinks Barry is one of the best sidekicks ever created.
Yes, I agree. But he was INCREDIBLY annoying in the DLC I thought. He was very well done in the main game, used just enough to not become boring or annoying. But here, here he had no place. His talking got on my nerves and I rarely laughed at him. Considering I wished he would go away and leave me with the Taken... doesn't bode well!

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
I'm getting the video problem as well. It looks like, for some reason, the video's been flagged as having a duration of 0 or something.

Tornik

Mar 4, 2010
While I couldn't agree more that 'The Signal' is a letdown, I have to disagree with your opinion of the full game.

I thought that the story and writing started off well enough, but went rapidly downhill, ending up an incoherent mess towards the end. The resolution somehow managed to feel rushed, anti-climactic and meandering all at the same time. The supposed cliffhanger ending had less impact than one of the flash-bangs in the game.

I did however, like the game engine, I thought that the town and forest were well rendered, and even if the slightly wonky lip-synching let the character models down, the rest of the world looked superb.

Weirdly enough, I really liked Barry as a character, so I'll agree with you on that point too.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
If this video was my offspring, I would say, "Son, I am disappoint."

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Proverbial Jon said:
Susan Arendt said:
Susan Arendt still thinks Barry is one of the best sidekicks ever created.
Yes, I agree. But he was INCREDIBLY annoying in the DLC I thought. He was very well done in the main game, used just enough to not become boring or annoying. But here, here he had no place. His talking got on my nerves and I rarely laughed at him. Considering I wished he would go away and leave me with the Taken... doesn't bode well!
Aw, really? I thought he was super in the DLC, one of the few bright spots. The moments with Alan and Barry were very charming, I thought.

Also, apologies for the problem with the video. Should be sorted now.