Review: Alan Wake: The Signal

Liberaliter

Sep 17, 2008
I completely forgot about this, I was hoping the DLC would further the story but ah well. It is free.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
uhh guess they didn't learn about stand out in-game advertising instead of weaving it in smoothly haha...

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Barry is the greatest sidekick ever. "It's my flaming eye of Mordor" is my new catch phrase.

Haven't played this yet, but from the sound of it, I'm going to be a little sad. I want to know what happens next in the story, not kill more Taken.

Nova5

Interceptor
Sep 5, 2009
I, for one, thoroughly enjoyed the DLC. It seems that a lot of people are harping on it not having advanced the plot, but it really just feels as though it's setting up something major - the fundamental problem with episodic DLC.

However, this is balanced by some of the most genuinely innovative level design I've ever seen. The whole DLC is essentially one long dream sequence, and probably the best-executed I've played through as far back as I can remember.

That's pretty much my take on it.

DecaKen

Jul 28, 2010
PseudoDuck said:
I've just played a bit (I think I can say that I'm up to the bit with the car without it being a spoiler as such) and I agree completely. Too much combat in this DLC.

I didn't mind the odd fight in the main game, but there was one moment (in the second to last episode I think it was) where you're in a building and LOADS of Taken appear, but you have little to no ammo to take them down, so you have to run outside and to the nearest checkpoint.
That was the worst moment in the main game and The Signal seems like they took that part and made DLC out of it.

I love the combat mechanic (taking on just enough Taken was fun), but the actual amount of combat in this episode is making it wear thin. I'll finish it tomorrow, and I may try and play though it again for all the achievements so, as it's free DLC I'll only say that it's a slight disappointment, rather than a major one.
of course theres going to be a lot of combat jackass your sinking deeper into the darkness, your in there territory, it wouldnt make sense if there was only a few of them like the main game, this DLC was amazing really loves seeing Alan on the TV going insane.

Cyan.

May 10, 2010
Well screw this.

I loved the DLC.

First people complain its too easy and the combat is to uninteresting and the final boss was easy and dull.

So, in the DLC they ramp the difficulty to 11/10 and beef up the combat with things like explosive barrels, special things shining your torch on can trigger traps within the environment or even spawn enemies. There is even posessed killer cars driving about!! The final boss sequence is hard as nails on nightmare difficulty, and totally scary and awesome.

I personally enjoied the dive into insanity, and if you actually followed the plot worth a damn, this DOES advance the story to the point of adding more mistique about Alans mind in the "dark place".

AND IT WAS FREE!!!!

EDIT - I would also like to point out it was far more surreal and scary this time around.

In essence, it was a small refresher of all the best parts of the original game in a free downloadable nugget.

Omegatronacles

Guardian Of Forever
Oct 15, 2009
So I had the collectors edition of Alan Wake. Played through the game, enjoyed it immensely. Went use my free download code... Apparently my code was not correct. Rang Microsoft support. "Sorry sir, but evidently someone else has already activated that code. The codes are single use only."

I bought the game on release day. I had the receipt in my hand. Lady didn't care. Made me sad.

Now I am less sad, seeing as the DLC seems fairly lame anyway. Thanks Susan, for making my day less sad =)

Javex

Mar 15, 2010
I really liked the DLC. I played the original game on Hard, and only died a few times. I find the combat much more challenging this time around. But there were also cool environmental parts, like the street lights or the furnaces. Or the "literal" minefield. See what I did there?

I haven't finished it entirely yet (just at the street lights). But I can agree that it hasn't totally advanced the story that far, but helped us understand more about the dark presence and how it ties into Alan. Plus it's more Alan Wake for free. So no complaints there.

Also, one thing I can't overlook in this review. The fact that it was short. Well, according to Susan, it was about 2-3 hours, which is an average Alan Wake chapter. This is one chapter in DLC format. The length sounds right to me, according to the full game.

Anyway, can't wait for "The Writer" DLC! And/or a sequel!

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Not G. Ivingname said:
Susan Arendt said:
So your enjoyment of this is in direct proportion of how much you liked the story and how much you liked the combat.
Pretty much, yep.

Omegatronacles said:
So I had the collectors edition of Alan Wake. Played through the game, enjoyed it immensely. Went use my free download code... Apparently my code was not correct. Rang Microsoft support. "Sorry sir, but evidently someone else has already activated that code. The codes are single use only."

I bought the game on release day. I had the receipt in my hand. Lady didn't care. Made me sad.

Now I am less sad, seeing as the DLC seems fairly lame anyway. Thanks Susan, for making my day less sad =)
I believe there were some issues with folks redeeming their codes if they tried it too soon, and that Microsoft is working on the issue. (Not sure if that happened with you or not, of course.)

Dhatz

Aug 18, 2009
first impressions: spoiler subtitles. Seen better in star wars dark resurrection.

Mako SOLDIER

Dec 13, 2008
I have to respectfully disagree on most, if not all, points. The DLC was never intended to advance the main story. Sure it's a cotinuation of sorts, but that's all it was meant to be. After all, if there is a sequel, why should people have to have played the DLC in order to understand how it starts? The whole point of the 'Specials' is that they will occur between Season 1 and Season 2 but won't be necessary in order to understand the plot of either. I don't really understand why anyone would have been expecting some kind of story revelations from that.

Gameplay-wise, I agree that it was harder and more hectic than the earlier episodes, but that's kinda the point. It is completely in keeping with the setting and the story that such a scenario would play out in such a way. Man it's hard to write this without spoilers. Basically, it's hard but it's not THAT hard, and the pacing is not all that different from some of the longer sections where the original game throws lots of enemies at you in a row. In the signal, at least that same kind of pacing is framed with some very satisfying surreal imagery and level progression. TVs scattered throughout The Signal do the same kind of job as the manuscript pages did in the original game, only this time that storytelling device is used in a much more visceral and immediately threatening way. We literally get to witness a violently insane force doing everything it can to tear Alan apart both physically and mentally. Sure it's a change of pace, and there is hardly any breathing room, but it's a welcome change. Anyone who wanted the original game to be a little more freaky and genuinely scary will be pretty happy with the DLC so far.

And if you think about a few plot elements (not neccessarily just what you see in the cutscenes), there are a good few subtle clues regarding the main story.

Personally, although The Signal is a little story-lite in terms of the main story and the cutscenes, I would still give it a solid 8 or 9 out of ten. In my opinion (and that of a good few reviewers, as you'll notice if you google it), The Signal is an excellent add-on and an example of how all DLC should be done.

No offense to Susan, but I implore anyone who is sitting on the fence about the DLC to ignore this review and make their own mind up.

Mako SOLDIER

Dec 13, 2008
SFJ said:
in the case of a game that's so story-driven, leaving us on a cliffhanger at the end of the actual campaign and giving us no real resolution strikes me as an unjustified cash-in, especially when the game took so long to produce.
If there had been 2 'specials' aired between the first and second seasons of 'Lost', would you expect them to sit there and carefully explain the first season? Even if there were any significant story revelations involved, would you really expect them in the first of the two episodes? Besides, the main ending is not really a cliffhanger. It resolves the main story of that game, and it leaves a lot of questions unanswered. A cliffhanger would mean ending the main story right in the middle of something. The DLC ends on a cliffhanger, but the main game just leaves the story set up for a sequel. There's a huge difference between the two things.

Again, it can't be a cash-in if it's free, and seeing as neither MS or Remedy get a single penny from what you paid for the game second hand, the price of the DLC hardly sends them soaring into profit.

Shil

May 9, 2010
The Signal is an absolute disappointment to Alan Wake. I personally loved the game, and I couldn't wait for the DLC after I beat it. However, from the moment I got it, I started to hate it.

I used the code to get the free DLC and of course, it wasn't. I had to pay 540 microsoft points regardless of whether or not I got the code. This is the second time I've been ripped off by "Free" DLC that was supposed to be included with the game itself.

As for gameplay, the combat was the (Second) weakest part in my opinion (the first being the lip syncing, which most people know is awful) which really set me off. The only actual story part of the content is that you get Zane telling you where to go. Nothing is known about Allice or any of the other Bright Falls members, which is how I thought The Signal would be. Instead, you're stuck with fight after fight (as explained) and absolutely awful achievements. Tractors being tossed in front of doors so you can't get in, monster trucks that drive at you while you get ambushed from behind by taken, and the part that I'm currently at that I absolutely refuse to do anymore, points where Alan just can't seem to climb onto one simple stack of wood, but can apparently jump from a box onto it as he slips and slides and is more than likely out of breath by the time you want to jump.

Had I gotten this DLC free like I should have, it wouldn't be so bad. Since I had to pay with my Microsoft points, it makes me feel like I've been stabbed in the back by possibly one of the greatest games I had ever played.

Serfix

Jun 16, 2010
Well I played trought the DLC and I must say I liked it. There might be some spoilers for some.

In my opinion this was a bridge section to other episode. Why it was so combat based? In my opinion because Alan is in bottom of that dark lake and surrounded by it and starts writing more and more darkness to script and that means more enemies and wierd stuff. Alan that you play was just trying to get rid of that and all that darkness by fighting trought it.

And yes it contained lots of combat but I loved it because there were new ways of using light. Like in that basement with those furnances in there that you can blow up just using your light or that part when u needed to be careful where you point your light or more enemies comes at you.

So again, in my opinion it fits right in with the plot.

Noxshadow

u mad?
Jan 12, 2010
I kind of agree. The combat was all over the place with the Signal. But in story terms, it amounts to filler. Alan Wake was scary because not just because of the atmosphere, but because of the shifting and dynamic story that always kept you on your toes. The Signal is still just as creepy as the main game, but the static story (Your objective for 90% of the episode is "follow the GPS Signal") makes it less meaningful. There are some interesting sequences (The 'bad words' sequence springs to mind). The manuscript pages foretelling what is about to happen to Alan are replaced with TVs that portray an insane Alan, rambling narration of Alan's death ahead. It's interesting and creepy at first, but quickly loses it's creep factor; and comes off mostly as annoying.