Review: Alan Wake: The Writer

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Review: Alan Wake: The Writer

The Writer provides a fitting ending for the story of Alan Wake.

Read Full Article

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Looking forward to ending it off myself, glad to see its getting a fitting send off though

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
I haven't picked up the game yet, but when I do, are you trying to say I need to pick up The Signal as well and then this? Or should I just grab The Writer and tell The Signal to take a hike?

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Mr.Pandah said:
I haven't picked up the game yet, but when I do, are you trying to say I need to pick up The Signal as well and then this? Or should I just grab The Writer and tell The Signal to take a hike?
Well, The Signal is free, so no reason not to get it. And if you enjoy the combat of Alan Wake, then you'll probably have fun with The Signal, as it does have some very well-designed sequences.

tlozoot

Feb 8, 2010
Alan Wake was only ever enjoyeable to me for the story and the unique deliverance. The combat always seemed average and a bit repetetive, and I never felt the game fully capitalised on its great atmosphere to ever actually supply tension. Might have to pick up this DLC pack though, if it brings the story to a good conclusion.

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
Azure Knight-Zeo said:
"The Dark Place", is that seriously what it's called? Never played the original, never will.
That's probably because it has no real name, only what those who encounter it call it, and trust me when I say that the name is probably the most fitting you'll find.

As for the original, it was actually pretty good, though I felt the last few sections explained too much for a game that prided itself on being mysterious. Gameplay can probably be described as Dead Space where the method of killing is now break down a barrier rather than cut off the limbs. However, it mastered a bit more scare tactics than "Jump out of the closet" such as having something move in the bushes or in the foreground but not actually be there, having truly unexplained events happen, possessing objects (reinforcing a faceless terror rather than a physical one), taking away your weapons while enemies are about, and sucessfully using its focus on limited light in dark areas to work your nerves. I'd say it's at least worth a rental, as most of its core is really good, though it trips here and there.

NotSoNimble

Aug 10, 2010
Anyone wanna spoil the ending for me in a private mail?

I traded the game in long ago.. maybe in a day or so I will search youtube for the 'real ending'.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Mr.Pandah said:
Well, The Signal is free, so no reason not to get it. And if you enjoy the combat of Alan Wake, then you'll probably have fun with The Signal, as it does have some very well-designed sequences.
Ahh, okay. That makes it a lot easier to swallow. Once I get some decent cash flow again (took off Comic-Con weekend, shhh don't tell anyone), I'll be picking this up.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
Susan Arendt said:
Mr.Pandah said:
The signal is free? it said it would be free when I entered the pre order code for Alan Wake but I still have to pay for it for some reason, you sure it's free? Also I hope they make an Alan Wake 2

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Quiet Stranger said:
Susan Arendt said:
Mr.Pandah said:
The signal is free? it said it would be free when I entered the pre order code for Alan Wake but I still have to pay for it for some reason, you sure it's free? Also I hope they make an Alan Wake 2
Not sure what the deal is now, or with used copies, really.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Quiet Stranger said:
Susan Arendt said:
Mr.Pandah said:

It is possible that your code expired, as some games do that now. Forces people to buy the game while it's still full price.

On Topic: I had NO IDEA this was out! So glad I check this website every day. Thank you Susan, as I am currently downloading The Writer while I type this. And the fact that you like the ending so much gives me a lot of hope. I didn't care for the ending in the original game because it left so many things undone. I will be tearing through this the moment it's finished downloading (71%...72%...)

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Sniper Team 4 said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Susan Arendt said:
Mr.Pandah said:

It is possible that your code expired, as some games do that now. Forces people to buy the game while it's still full price.

On Topic: I had NO IDEA this was out! So glad I check this website every day. Thank you Susan, as I am currently downloading The Writer while I type this. And the fact that you like the ending so much gives me a lot of hope. I didn't care for the ending in the original game because it left so many things undone. I will be tearing through this the moment it's finished downloading (71%...72%...)
Let me know what you think!

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Thank god we live in a day and age where we need to buy proper endings to games now.

mParadox

Susurration
Sep 19, 2010
Country
Germany
AC10 said:
Thank god we live in a day and age where we need to buy proper endings to games now.
Awww man. You just reminded of HL2 Ep3. :(

It's good to know that a well made game finally reaches a well-deserved end.

Pots

Oct 9, 2007
AC10 said:
This is exactly what I was thinking while reading the review.

I enjoyed the game enough to play through it twice and was kinda hopeing for a different ending when beating it on Insane (or whatever the hardest difficulty was). When that didn't happen I just assumed there would be a sequal.

Aqualung

Mar 11, 2009
Quiet Stranger said:
Susan Arendt said:
Mr.Pandah said:
The Signal is only free with a new copy of the game. With used copies, the download code may or may not still be usable. If you purchased a used copy, you may be out of luck.

<--Resident 'Alan Wake' expert.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
Aqualung said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Susan Arendt said:
Mr.Pandah said:
The Signal is only free with a new copy of the game. With used copies, the download code may or may not still be usable. If you purchased a used copy, you may be out of luck.

I bought a brand new (pre ordered it too) collectors edition for Alan Wake and when I finally went to download it, it said I had to pay (for the Signal)

Aqualung

Mar 11, 2009
Quiet Stranger said:
Aqualung said:

I bought a brand new (pre ordered it too) collectors edition for Alan Wake and when I finally went to download it, it said I had to pay (for the Signal)
If you purchased a new copy and there wasn't a download code in the game case somewhere, it could have been a mistake in the manufacturing process, or your country might not be supported by XBox Live and thus it wasn't bundled with the game. If so, try this thread [http://forum.alanwake.com/showthread.php?t=3814] for more information.

If you tried using your download code before The Signal was actually released, try this thread [http://forum.alanwake.com/showthread.php?t=4795].

And if the download code you got simply didn't work, try contacting Microsoft services while providing them with your code, and they can try to set you up with a new one if your excuse is valid.

I hope that helps.