Review: Aliens vs. Predator

degriz

Jan 28, 2009
Installed, played, removed. Looked like something playing on an emulator and played worse. Acurately portrays being surrounded by Aliens that want to eat your liver in that its bloody aweful.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
MortisLegio said:
you should have just nuked the site from orbit
Hmm, well... It is the only way to be sure...

One thought I've had recently is that the graphics for the surroundings don't really matter that much. Due to the darkness/pitch blackness of each level, all you're ever going to see is the flashes of the wall as you walk past, scanning for things that move, or the black and white or infrared of the Xenomorph/Predator. It doesn't need to look amazing.

Of course, I think it looks great, so I really don't know where this is coming from at all. It's like [PROTOTYPE] all over again.

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
Probably haven't watched it as much as me. God, that film is the shizniz. One of Cameron's best works, more so than Avatar at any rate.

"What are we supposed to use, harsh language?"

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Yeah, cover mechanics aren't very fun to begin with, but in a game with alot of melee it would make absolutely no sense to have it.

Mikkaddo

Black Rose Knight
Jan 19, 2008
First of all, it's a generic FPS that's copying the old golden standard. A bit bland, but hey . . . sounds like it works.

Nowthing, the actual IMPORTANT note . . . "the graphics look old" BULLSHIT . . . frankly, if you can't tell the difference between FMVs, cutscenes and gameplay graphics . . . it does NOT look old, and from the views they showed, it flows fast smooth and clean, there's no obvious seams, the graphics aren't blocky or bit covered . . . so it looks GREAT, it looks WONDERFUL . . . sure it's probably not as ULTRA real world looking as say . . . Heavy Rain . . . but that doesn't matter.

It's ALIEN VERSUS PREDATOR, we're not looking gfor it to be super real. We're looking for it to be VIOLENT, DARK, GOREY, and COMPLETELY INSANE. As long as that happens, it doesn't matter if it's not so realistic looking you'll go to bed wishing you had a motion sensor.

Master Kuja

May 28, 2008
The review pretty much told me what I already know about the game, having played it for the past five days straight, that and nothing else.
I agree with most of the things in this review, however there are two things I'm stumped about.

1: Cover system? It's an FPS, and only when playing as the Marine, a cover system would have been largely useless as Aliens swarm your position so fast that they'd be in melee range before you even have a chance to make reasonable use of it. As an Alien or Predator, it'd be even more redundant.

2: Poor graphics? Seriously now? Maybe it looks like arse on the 360 version, I dunno, but fire it up on PC and it looks better than most other games I've played recently, even on DX9 mode, I fail to see how it looks old/dated in the slightest.

JdaS

Oct 16, 2009
Leave it to the Escapist to review a good game based on it's undeniable merits, rather than just calling it shit because it's not Modern Warfare 2.

caprisun

Nov 8, 2009
Looks pretty fun, but heavy rain and final fantasy 13's out soon, so will have no time or money to spare^^

Joe1897

Oct 23, 2009
I got this game on the xbox 360 on day 1, and i must say I think it has been an excellent game!
The predator and alien campaign are fun and unique, and as all ready covered, pulling out a marines spine and seeing the pure terror on his face is awesome :D
The marines campaign was ok, but i think it could be improved by making it more survival-horror (even though it is, the infinite pistol takes away the survival)
Finally the multiplayer is just epic, sure its got its bugs and glitches, but what game has none? infestation and predator hunt are both insanely fun, while the many modes of deathmatch (3) are a great addition.

BTW: i have an hd tv on my xbox 360 and the graphics look GORGEOUS.

Zedzero

Feb 19, 2009
My gut tells me I will hate, so I'm gunna avoid this one, but good review. A lot of people seem to either love or hate this game.

Aenir

Mar 26, 2009
I was going to say "I agree mostly with Russ...", but then I found this post and figured I could just quote it instead."
Angelo Credo said:
I agree with most of the things in this review, however there are two things I'm stumped about.

1: Cover system? It's an FPS, and only when playing as the Marine, a cover system would have been largely useless as Aliens swarm your position so fast that they'd be in melee range before you even have a chance to make reasonable use of it. As an Alien or Predator, it'd be even more redundant.

2: Poor graphics? Seriously now? Maybe it looks like arse on the 360 version, I dunno, but fire it up on PC and it looks better than most other games I've played recently, even on DX9 mode, I fail to see how it looks old/dated in the slightest.
I can't understand why anyone would want a cover system in this when there aren't any firefights, and I don't understand what everyone's whining about with bad graphics. I thought they were great, and I haven't upgraded my computer's hardware for 3 years.

I've really given no attention to the multiplayer; my harddrive seems to be starting to kick the bucket, so sometimes things take absurdly long times loading, and I've never had it more evident than in AvP's multiplayer, where games start before everyone's finished loading. I had joined a 4 person Survival, because I loved it when I tried it singleplayer, and when I finally finished loading, I spawned at the VERY beginning of the stage surrounded by dozens of aliens (they can attack you before you finish loading), and there was only one person alive, about 3 floors beneath me. That's simply bad design.

So I've mostly stayed away from multiplayer, especially until they implement dedicated servers, and I still have no regrets with pre-ordering it back in January. I loved the campaigns, especially the Alien campaign and stalking marines as the Predator. I found the combat droids to be rather unfair at points in the marine campaign; I had gotten to my first group of them, where there were stacks of crates or something and I was outside; one of them ran straight at me with that sniper rifle thing and killed me. The Survival mode (I really can only do it solo for aforementioned reasons) is fun, more-so on the C-block map, which resembles something you might have found in the movie Aliens.

Wow I've really rambled. I'm just going to stop by saying that while Aliens vs. Predator has many flaws, it's simply FUN! But it is a niche appeal, you really need to love the original Alien, Aliens, and Predator movies to get the full enjoyment and references.

chickenlord

May 14, 2008
its it me or do the aliens also look a bit too dinky... tiny little bastards...i think that the space is too open as well (from what i saw in the video) it might just be a claustrophobic kinda thing, but it always seems scarier if your in like a tight,dark hallway then an alien drops from the ceiling eats your face then starts eating the rest of you with 4-5 of his buddys...

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
People are complaining about the controls on PC. It does take some getting used to, but it is quite managable.

First thing you need to do. Set the Alien to auto-transition! It will save you a lot of hassle.

Second, run like hell. Aliens use speed. Get in, hit the bastard as fast as possible, and bang out in a hurry if things aren't going your way.

About the graphics. I honestly don't care if they aren't technically advanced. In the artistic sense, the graphics are perfect. It looks just like the Hadley's Hope Colony from Aliens.

Nerdfury

I Can Afford Ten Whole Bucks!
Feb 2, 2008
It doesn't do much to help the industry when Editors-in-Chief are bagging a game for it's graphics of all things.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
It's funny how no one who reviews this game even mentions the multi player, yet when Halo 3 sucked ass story wise, everyone rose to its defense using multi player as a shield.

It's true, this is those of those love em or hate em games, I happened to like it, but I do see its faults.

MortisLegio said:
you should have just nuked the site from orbit
Only way to be sure.

Nerdfury said:
It doesn't do much to help the industry when Editors-in-Chief are bagging a game for it's graphics of all things.
I agree, I actually think it's such an immature thing to hate the game on. I know people who saw it and went, it's ugly so I'm not going to try it.

It is a stylized approach visually, like Arkham Asylum.

finally a fair review
It was, except he didn't mention the multi player at all and that like with many shooters is a big part of it.