Review: Aliens vs. Predator

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Worgen said:
ehh graphics arnt that bad, altho Ive been playing games for over 20 years now so I know bad graphics, the main thing that bugs me about this review tho is the cover system thing, why would a cover system help anything? Im assuming you mean like the one in gears or something
Angelo Credo said:
The review pretty much told me what I already know about the game, having played it for the past five days straight, that and nothing else.
I agree with most of the things in this review, however there are two things I'm stumped about.

1: Cover system? It's an FPS, and only when playing as the Marine, a cover system would have been largely useless as Aliens swarm your position so fast that they'd be in melee range before you even have a chance to make reasonable use of it. As an Alien or Predator, it'd be even more redundant.

2: Poor graphics? Seriously now? Maybe it looks like arse on the 360 version, I dunno, but fire it up on PC and it looks better than most other games I've played recently, even on DX9 mode, I fail to see how it looks old/dated in the slightest.
Damn, that's exactly what I was thinking! How would a cover mechanic 'bring it up to date'? Does MW2 have a 'mechanic' to help you stand behind objects?! That bit of the review really jarred with me :/

On the other point of graphics - they looked fine in that video. Sure, maybe there's not funky volumetric lighting and HDR, and maybe the blood piffs are a little dated, but they are hardly bad graphics. More affordable perhaps, definitely easier to scale, but bad? Nah.

Hawkeye16

Nov 15, 2009
We should nuke them from orbit. Its the only way to be sure.

EDIT: Ninja'D like five times.

Talshere

Jan 27, 2010
From what I saw of the video review, if you whack the graphics upto max on the PC version its far better than its console counterparts.

internetzealot1

Aug 11, 2009
Seems like a pretty fair review. Figure I'll get this once the price drops a little.

One thing. How could a cover system help? It's not like aliens are going to be shooting at you.

Rezfon

Feb 25, 2008
I agree with the review for most of it apart from a few points.

First being you don't need a cover system in the game as theres nothing really to take cover from. Secondly, while said the graphics on the console aren't great, that doesn't hold true to the PC (if anyone wanted to know). Having this game maxed out in dx11 looks fantastic.

ilion

Aug 20, 2009
Why the hell do we need a cover system? IS the crouch button not enough?... seems slow however, compared to the previous AvP, the aliens were so unpredictable!!!

Lord Legion

Feb 26, 2010
Hello long time listener, first time caller...

Firstly thanks for the review, it was quite refreshing to have one that didn't boil down to "not CoD". Perhaps the reason so many people have such strong feelings towards this title is because they play it the same.

And then they get slaughtered horribly over and over again. I myself was amoungst the first with the demo (loved it) and one of the most frequent complaints were "YOU CAN'T THROW GRENADES?!?!" Which, as a mostly alien player, I have to wonder how much good they'd do with my speed. This is a rare fps, as in it requires a bit of forethought, and the knowledge that, say, when three preadators team up, it is almost always suicide to charge.

It is very fun though, killing the straggler marines that refuse to cooperate with the others because they think they will get more xp. And as for a cover/crouch system, it would not be helpful.

I just wish they would fix the matchmaking, I'm so very tired of waiting for a game to start, load, begin, host leaves, game over, start again...

sunpop

Oct 23, 2008
Kind of what I expected in this review however I don't see the problem with the graphics they look just fine to me, sure there not amazing cutting edge graphics but who needs that.

The other thing that really bothered me was you saying there should be a cover system when avp really has no need for cover. You are fighting an enemy who can easily turn invisible sneak up and rip out your spine and another enemy who rushes in on the ceiling or through a vent to eat your face. If you stop to take cover and shoot you will quickly be over run, you have to haul ass backwards trying to kill them before they can reach you.

Maybe in a marine vs marine mach cover would make sense but if you do that what the hells the point to playing avp?

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I don't think this game, or any FPS needs a cover system. I can't believe you actually suggested it would improve it... like really, Russ?

REALLY?

CrafterMan

Aug 3, 2008
Great review Mr Pitts, it really does sum up this game perfectly. I think it's a double edged sword, so much wrong with it, but there really is so much that is captivating!

Thank you for the review!

JB

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Russ Pitts said:
Review: Aliens vs. Predator

Despite presentation issues, Aliens vs. Predator has that elusive quality - fun - in abundance.

Read Full Article
I just gotta say this:

THANK YOU for an honest review. So many of the reviews I've read on this game seemed to either miss the point of the game, get hung-up on pointless issues, or both. Take the Game Informer review that marked the game down because the Predator had too much focus on Stealth. Shit man, I haven't even seen the Predator movies (yet) and even I know that the Predator is all about stealthing about. I'm glad to see that rather than griping about shit that doesn't matter, you acknowledge that yeah it's there, but none of it really matters. The bottom line is that the game is fun, and I think other gaming review sources tend to forget that little detail. Am I saying this game is deserving of a prefect score? Hell no, but it's certainly better than the 5.7 of 10 that GI gave it.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Nerdfury said:
It doesn't do much to help the industry when Editors-in-Chief are bagging a game for it's graphics of all things.
Dude, you are so right:

4 out of 5 stars.
... easily one of the most interesting and immersive shooters of all time.
Aliens vs. Predator is a game in which it's entirely possible to lose oneself to the moment and remember how videogames can be great - and why this one is.
I bagged the shit out of this game! The industry better look out for me and my crazy ways! WoooOooOooOo! 0_o

Furrama

Jul 24, 2008
So, game play is good, story and graphics not so much?

Well, that's saying something. If I had to pick between those three things, game play had better be the best in a GAME.

Though I'm from the old gen systems, (SEGA Genesis wohoo!), and so graphics don't mean terrible much to me, (as long as I can tell what's what). I like a good story as much as the next guy, but I find Robot Unicorn Attack fun and I couldn't care less about the story for that. Though if it was a Final Fantasy game it had better deliver on story because that's why I bought it. But AVP? Game play should shine.

Too bad they couldn't do better in those other two regards.

Bored Tomatoe

Aug 15, 2008
Russ Pitts said:
Nerdfury said:
It doesn't do much to help the industry when Editors-in-Chief are bagging a game for it's graphics of all things.
Dude, you are so right:

4 out of 5 stars.
Aliens vs. Predator is a game in which it's entirely possible to lose oneself to the moment and remember how videogames can be great - and why this one is.
I bagged the shit out of this game! The industry better look out for me and my crazy ways! WoooOooOooOo! 0_o
I'd always imagined that Editors-In Chief would be straight laced and uh... businessy... Thankfully you've proven me wrong... Good review by the way.

atol

Jan 16, 2009
comadorcrack said:
Well I personally Thought that it was a bag of Cock biscuits.
But to each its own...
Agreed. This game is absolute crap, and the only saving grace is the IP. The campaigns are absolute junk, they only contain about 3 hours of content that they copy/paste, and none of it is impressive in any sense. The multiplayer is pretty poor in general. It can be completely mastered in a couple hours, and all the maps are terrible.
This game is only slightly better than what I'd expect from a free mod. Rebellion is now on my developer blacklist.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
I played this game, my inital excitement faded.

In the end, this was an average game.
To me, anyway.

Rane2k

Aug 21, 2009
Okay, after having read most of the responses in this thread, and judging from my own reaction ("What, a cover system? To the forums!") I think Russ´ comment about the game needing a cover system was actually some kind of meta-joke, that no one got. :)

(If not: What, a cover system? What for?)

Undercover

Jul 19, 2009
Russ Pitts said:
Nerdfury said:
Dude, you are so right:

4 out of 5 stars.
Nicely done. Obviously someone didn't bother to read your review past the part they didn't like, then tried to come off like some intellectually gifted critic's critic. Gee, does that happen a lot on the intertubes?

Anyway, I loved AVPs one and two so I'll be picking this game up for sure.

My only question is how random are the Alien attacks? They were totally unpredictable in the first game, but scripted in the second. This will really be a factor with me in regards to replayability... Ok who am I kidding, no it won't. I still play AVP2 to this day. What can I say? I love the franchise. Even when you know where the bad guys are, they can still flank your ass, and I haven't played many games since then that got me quite that immersed on almost every playthrough.

Have you seen anything new about Aliens: Colonial Marines yet? I have been waiting for nearly 25 years for someone to come up with a squad based game in the Aliens universe, so I'm probably looking forward to playing that one more than AVP3. Getting blazed and going bug hunting with a bunch of buddies that understand tactics? Yes please.