Review: Aliens vs. Predator

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
Some people love it, some people hate it. For me, I loved it, but that's because I'm a hopeless fan of the original incarnations AND the avp abominations (films I mean, games were also awesome).

It's nice to see a review give it merits outside of it's superficial flaws. Kudos

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
i would like to point out that when you said that the campaign was short at 12-15 hours, most FPS games struggle to get to 10 hours mark. i only know RPGs that have got past the 10 hour mark without messing around

awsome117

Jan 27, 2009
You didn't really mention the balance, or imbalance of the game. Allow me to explain. The little disks that the predator can get is very cheap. One hit kill, requires no energy and is the thing most predators use in matches. If you have played one online match, you know what I mean.

Also, the stealth kills. Just get behind someone and press one button? Works for me! Uggg... plus, doing that will almost guarantee your own death as unless you are alone in a corridor, far far away from anyone else, you will get killed instantly. Also, the flashlight is complete crap. To quote one of my friends "It's like they took it and smeared peanut butter all over it". Plus, no flares in MP? Those would have been really helpful...

Also, the game felt short. Way too short. Especially the aliens for some reason.

Despite these things, I still enjoy the game. I don't love it, but it's alright.

Nerdfury

I Can Afford Ten Whole Bucks!
Feb 2, 2008
Russ Pitts said:
Nerdfury said:
It doesn't do much to help the industry when Editors-in-Chief are bagging a game for it's graphics of all things.
Dude, you are so right:

4 out of 5 stars.
... easily one of the most interesting and immersive shooters of all time.
Aliens vs. Predator is a game in which it's entirely possible to lose oneself to the moment and remember how videogames can be great - and why this one is.
I bagged the shit out of this game! The industry better look out for me and my crazy ways! WoooOooOooOo! 0_o

Apagogical sarcasm, Russ, really? Is that the best you can come up with?

MR.Spartacus

Jul 7, 2009
Just out of curiosity. What would a cover system have added? I mean with the mobility of the Predator/Alien I can only see it causing frustration. Seriously hide behind a chest high wall and then they'd just jump behind you. Also since when did everyone become so fixated on graphics?

baconfist

Sep 8, 2009
On pc the graphics were pretty good. To make things fit on a disc for x-box they are gonna have to cut some data, unfortunately the easiest place to do that is with the textures. What I think is funny is that x-box players complain about graphics where pc players complain about controls, just the price to be paid for cross platform games.

My problem with this game was mostly with the transitioning as the alien, the system that the 2000 AvP had where you just held crouch was so much smoother.

Oh and a Cover system? really? what ever happened to stepping behind stuff manually anyways?

L0ki

Jul 11, 2008
The point on cover is the one point i need to disagree with in this review as an alien and predator cover is not needed because you can hide pretty much anywhere and as a human you can count on cover when the monster can leap from building to building, climb on all surfaces, and turn invisable. honstly the smart human is the one constantly moving in a group making the monsters job harder.

Brainsaw

May 8, 2008
I bought this game without any knowledge on how it was and guess what? I love it! It is a very fun game. It has it's problems but quite frankly so does just about every single game out there. Call me strange but I think the scariest thing is the marine's motion tracker. With it's shrill peeping getting faster and faster and knowing it's not a friendly, the motion tracker does a good amount of the "Freak the Hell out of the player"

SFR

Mar 26, 2009
I've only played/seen the PC version of this game in person and... well, it looks really good. Some models look bad, but most are really nice (especially the predator and aliens) and foilage, lighting, and animation are definitely next gen. So... is there a big difference between the PC and 360 version, or what?

mchoueiri

Jun 10, 2009
I think im going to pick this one up cause the thought playing predator tickles my fancy.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
I think this is one of those games which I will wait for the price to drop. This review was a lot more honest I think than many others I read.

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
A cover system in this game?

I could see it now, owning noobs as the alien from behind because they think taking cover is gonna protect them them. :D

Would be redundant imo.

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
I can't believe no-one said it yet, looks like it's going to have to be me.

THEY'RE COMING OUT OF THE WALLS, MAN, THEY'RE COMING OUT OF THE GOD-DAMN WALLS!

Anyway, this has actually been on my "to-get" list for a long while, none of the reviews would've persuaded me one way or the other, it just looked like my kind of thing so I've got my heart set on it. Due to the atmosphere I think I'll mostly play it at night... mostly.

GamerRelic

Mar 2, 2010
I thought it was the great review except for when he said the words COVER SYSTEM. now i will try not to rant but a Cover System is FOR 3PS Why would you go a step backwards? if you said something like leaning mechanics i would have agreed though

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
I want to get it and play it, but after trying the demo (I only had a chance to play as the alien so far) I'm still trying to get over a headache. Playing as the alien is a good concept but it isn't done well. The camera moves everywhere and with the iffy graphics of the game, it comes off looking sickening. I logged out mid-game (host or not) just so my eyes would stop hurting. I'm sure the marine and Predator wouldn't have been as bad, but I wanted to get off the game and do something else for a bit and rest my eyes.

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
I not to worried about the graphic of this game been last gen as to many games companies these days spend far to much time&money tryin to get their game to look a shinny as possible

From the sounds of it Rebellion put most of their work into gettin the design of the game play for the three different types of characters we get, making each one as different as possible which in turn gives us more to play with // I can see myself goin as Predator in this because when I played the 90's version the Marine missions scared the living daylights out of my and when I was an Alien I would die every three steps

But Bioshock 2 is on my list of games to buy before I can afford to get this one // I dont mind, I can wait

-M

Coffee Black

Nov 4, 2009
This getting more mixed reviews than any other game I have seen in recent memory. I own it and feel that it is very in keeping with what I loved from the original PC in 1999 by Rebellion and the sequel from 2001 by Monolith. What I don't get is that because it is so reminiscent of it's old school brethren that it gets points taken off from it. The original games for PC were awesome and shared many of the same mechanics. What innovations would you like to have seen aside from the melee system? Granted we have seen stuff like that in other games like Xeno Clash, but it was great there and it makes attacking people a bit more of a tactical challenge than the original push the attack button to attack or push a mapped key to lung forward, which can still be done when you press the "focus mode" key to target and stun your prey.

You recommended a cover system for the marines, I don't really think this game needs it. Iron sight aiming would have been a nice touch though but again is not that necessary. In the end, people who hated the AvP movies are probably not gonna give this much of a chance, while the fans of the individual movie franchises, comics and the original AvP games will probably love it if they haven't picked it up yet. Considering that the game is selling well and that Rebellion is already talking about a sequel it is very likely that they will make improvements when they make that one.

One more thing, you (like most reviewers of this game it seems) totally left out the multiplayer game. I know that you have deadlines to meet and that doing a review just on the single player is easy, especially when a lot of games have MP tacked on as unnecessary feature, but with this game it is an essential part and always has been in this series. It's like someone only reviewing Modern Warfare 2 by it's single player experience, which is rather unoriginal and really only stands out for the spectacular set pieces. I doubt many people can tell me the name of a memorable character aside from Ghost (only because of his cool skull mask) and Ramirez (because of the internet memes). If you did that it would be like you only reviewed half a game because the MP is like a game unto itself for that series, the same can be said for the AvP games.