Review: And Yet It Moves

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
Review: And Yet It Moves

Now this is a story all about how / My indie game got flipped, turned upside down.

Read Full Article

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
I had heard about this back when Joystiq covered the tourney that the game won. I didn't really follow the tournament itself, but I did download a couple demos of the games that were being showcased, including And Yet It Moves (in fact, I still have what I guess would be the Alpha version of AYIM... Hm... "Aye-Yim"... I like it). It was very interesting to hear about it again months later when I saw AYIM for download on Steam. Very good game, though I haven't purchased the full version just yet.

TheBlackKnight

ESEY on the Kross
Nov 3, 2008
The keyboard controls are not 100% spot on accurate; Rest seems nice (what I can tell from the demo)

wordsmythe

Jul 22, 2008
I used the same Fresh Prince lyric when I wrote GWJ's article (http://www.gamerswithjobs.com/node/44429) on AYIM last month. Great minds think alike!

It certainly is a neat little game. I was more impressed by the fact that it's an indie platformer that *doesn't* employ an 8-bit art style. Very refreshing.

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
wordsmythe said:
I used the same Fresh Prince lyric when I wrote GWJ's article (http://www.gamerswithjobs.com/node/44429) on AYIM last month. Great minds think alike!
Yes, wordsmythe ... "great minds" indeed :p

Ilosia

The faceless
Mar 10, 2009
Personally I felt more inclined towards nausea than surrealistic experiences with the last clip.

HillDragon

Apr 16, 2009
It's been three years since X-play pushed this one on an Indie Dev show and it's nice to see something being done with it.

One of the others they were showcasing was drunken sumo.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Another thing about Indie games is that they always have strange "artistic" sounding names. No doubt "And Yet it Moves" has some deeper meanning.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
What the? You passed up an opportunity to appear well educated by casually mentioning where the name comes from? :)

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
hopeneverdies said:
The demo was really fun, but the banana bit was really frustrating
Really? It only took me a few seconds to get the bannana to the paper ape. Now, if you mean getting through that tiny hole the ape was blocking without killing yourself, I do agree.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
It's a good challenge that wont strain even today's laptops. Gravity manipulation is quite the fun mechanic. Working it in Prey played with my head just as much.

Circusfreak

Mar 12, 2009
DAMMIT! this gravity control shit was MY idea!!! it was supposed to make ME rich!
i have thoght if it for years! and now its DONE gGWAAAAAAAHHH!!!!

yeah_so_no

Sep 11, 2008
Eric the Orange said:
Another thing about Indie games is that they always have strange "artistic" sounding names. No doubt "And Yet it Moves" has some deeper meanning.
You don't know the quote? It's from Galileo, after the Catholic Church threatened to excommunicate him if he didn't recant his theory that the Earth moved around the sun. He recanted, then is said to have muttered, "E pur si muove!"--"And yet it moves."

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
The quote itself is just a myth though. Could be true, but most likely a later fabrication, even if that's what he wanted to say.

yeah_so_no

Sep 11, 2008
Dectilon said:
The quote itself is just a myth though. Could be true, but most likely a later fabrication, even if that's what he wanted to say.
Yeah, it didn't appear as attributed to Galileo until, what, a hundred-odd years after the fact? But still, it's part of our western cultural mythos, and was definitely a cool title to choose for the game, I think.