Review: Animal Crossing: City Folk

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
7,222
0
0
Review: Animal Crossing: City Folk

Animal Crossing: City Folk will have you once again obsessed with furniture, listening to a guitar-playing dog, and plotting the demise of a certain money-lending raccoon.

Read Full Article
 

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
6,732
0
0
For some reason I keep transposing Happy Tree Friends scenario's over the residents of Animal Crossing...

Perhaps this isn't the game for me.
 

Shamus Young

New member
Jul 7, 2008
3,247
0
0
My wife wants this in the WORST WAY. She made little cooing noises all through the video supplement.

I offered to let her in on Silent Hill Homecoming, but she wasn't interested. Go figure.
 

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
6,732
0
0
Tis the way of women, I am glad that my fiancee finds Animal Crossing a little too sacharine for her tastes. She prefers the twisted soap opera fun of The Sims.
 

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
7,222
0
0
PedroSteckecilo said:
For some reason I keep transposing Happy Tree Friends scenario's over the residents of Animal Crossing...

Perhaps this isn't the game for me.
Oh, dear lord, that's a hilarious mental image...
 

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
6,732
0
0
You can blame the header comment about "Plotting the demise of a certain money lending racoon."

I can see it now...

Tom Nook, dazed and confused after having a little too much punch at last nights party and passing out from acid indigestion, awakens in a darkened room strapped to a conveyor belt. Slowly the lights raise and a rosey cheeked, orange nosed face obscured by shadows peers at him through the darkness.

"Good morning Mr. Nook, did you sleep well?"

"What's going on here?" Nook asks, straining with great futility against his restraints.

"It's simple Mr. Nook, time and time again you have cheated and exploited me, well no more, now it's time for vengeance."

"Wait! We can work something out!" Nook protests loudly, still struggling.

"No Mr. Nook, the time for deals is past, you could have been generous but no, game after game I am in your debt. This will be the last payment I ever make to you, a payment of pain!"

Suddenly the conveyor belt begins to move and the lights raise, revealing the terrifying visage of a massive death engine constructed from ramshackle parts gathered from dig after dig. Its operation is simple, the conveyor belt moves and slowly brings the restrained Mr. Nook to the mouth of the machine, which will twist and contort him until finally he is squashed into the mechanical, twitching form of a Gyroid, imprisoned for all eternity.

"A fitting fate Mr. Nook, I have an excellent place on my mantle piece JUST FOR YOU! MWA HA HA HA HA!"

...okay I might have gone a little off the handle there.
 

ZeroMachine

New member
Oct 11, 2008
4,397
0
0
PedroSteckecilo said:
You can blame the header comment about "Plotting the demise of a certain money lending racoon."

I can see it now...

Tom Nook, dazed and confused after having a little too much punch at last nights party and passing out from acid indigestion, awakens in a darkened room strapped to a conveyor belt. Slowly the lights raise and a rosey cheeked, orange nosed face obscured by shadows peers at him through the darkness.

"Good morning Mr. Nook, did you sleep well?"

"What's going on here?" Nook asks, straining with great futility against his restraints.

"It's simple Mr. Nook, time and time again you have cheated and exploited me, well no more, now it's time for vengeance."

"Wait! We can work something out!" Nook protests loudly, still struggling.

"No Mr. Nook, the time for deals is past, you could have been generous but no, game after game I am in your debt. This will be the last payment I ever make to you, a payment of pain!"

Suddenly the conveyor belt begins to move and the lights raise, revealing the terrifying visage of a massive death engine constructed from ramshackle parts gathered from dig after dig. Its operation is simple, the conveyor belt moves and slowly brings the restrained Mr. Nook to the mouth of the machine, which will twist and contort him until finally he is squashed into the mechanical, twitching form of a Gyroid, imprisoned for all eternity.

"A fitting fate Mr. Nook, I have an excellent place on my mantle piece JUST FOR YOU! MWA HA HA HA HA!"

...okay I might have gone a little off the handle there.
I would point you to "The Terrible Secret of Animal Crossing" but Something Awful makes you pay 10$ to see older posts... I wish I could find it, it's a hilarious (and disturbingly... disturbing) story about someone's foray into Animal Crossing.
 

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
10,077
0
0
PedroSteckecilo said:
Tis the way of women, I am glad that my fiancee finds Animal Crossing a little too sacharine for her tastes. She prefers the twisted soap opera fun of The Sims.
Funny, my wife finds The Sims too tame, especially when she views the twisted and sordid world of my Sims neighborhood, in which the Rule 34 Tree looks like some sort of fractal pattern crossed with a random number generator.
 

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
6,732
0
0
SimuLord said:
PedroSteckecilo said:
Tis the way of women, I am glad that my fiancee finds Animal Crossing a little too sacharine for her tastes. She prefers the twisted soap opera fun of The Sims.
Funny, my wife finds The Sims too tame, especially when she views the twisted and sordid world of my Sims neighborhood, in which the Rule 34 Tree looks like some sort of fractal pattern crossed with a random number generator.
Wait what?

The strangest I've seen is my roomate's neighborhood, it's composed of her favorite Tabloid Fodder...

Tom Cruise won't stop jumping on the couch.
 

Aiden Rebirth

New member
Nov 19, 2008
745
0
0
cool review.
I was literally worried for my sisters safety when she played the first game, she sorta disappeared in to the world never to be seen again, and this is why I won't be buying a wii. p.s. she's 21 now and like 17 when she played the first so very scary stuff.
 

nimrandir

New member
Oct 30, 2008
133
0
0
I bought this game for my wife when she was home sick a couple of weeks ago, and it has its hooks in us just as deeply as its GameCube sibling did. I have lost a couple of evenings since then to simply wandering about our new little hamlet. How does such a ridiculous concept eat hours of my life?

On a related note, I felt like a traitor to my original town by creating a character in the new game. Hopefully Curly and Octavian bear me no ill will.

Edit: Did anyone else find himself/herself yelling "There's a friggin' fossil behind you!" at the video supplement?
 

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
2,338
0
0
I really enjoyed the Gamecube version, so maybe I'll pick this up. *puts it on the end of his 2-page list of games to buy eventually*

However, this game would be ten times cooler if, once again, Nintendo used DLC. It keeps irking me that they have the VC and WiiWare, and yet don't support DLC for existing games.
 

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
7,222
0
0
Susan you are doing very well with these video supplement reviews. Quick and straight to the point but some time to talk about the game too.

I have to ask though, how do YOU do both the audio and the video for your video supplements? What I mean is both your method and your tools used for production. Do you use a Dazzle capture card for video and a preamplifier and microphone for audio?
 

runtheplacered

New member
Oct 31, 2007
1,472
0
0
PedroSteckecilo said:
Tis the way of women, I am glad that my fiancee finds Animal Crossing a little too sacharine for her tastes. She prefers the twisted soap opera fun of The Sims.
Saccharine? Isn't that supposed to be a good thing? As in the sweetener or just in general sweet? Unless you're saying she found it so sweet that it makes her gag. I could see that.

As for my fiancee, she's enjoyed both AC and Sims, but ultimately got bored with both. She also doesn't hold very high hopes for Sims 3, but that's another subject.
 

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
6,732
0
0
runtheplacered said:
PedroSteckecilo said:
Tis the way of women, I am glad that my fiancee finds Animal Crossing a little too sacharine for her tastes. She prefers the twisted soap opera fun of The Sims.
Saccharine? Isn't that supposed to be a good thing? As in the sweetener or just in general sweet? Unless you're saying she found it so sweet that it makes her gag. I could see that.

As for my fiancee, she's enjoyed both AC and Sims, but ultimately got bored with both. She also doesn't hold very high hopes for Sims 3, but that's another subject.
It's a question of what you want out of a game,

She was dissapointed that all it had going for it was "cute" and found the overall game unsatisfying.

I suppose my statement was a little wrong then, the Cute wasn't what bothered her, it was the lack of driving purpose in the game.
 

Dommyboy

New member
Jul 20, 2008
2,439
0
0
Well I have the weird problem of I find most of the characters in Animal Crossing to be quite chubby.

You are busting out quite a lot of reviews as of late Susan, keep up the good work!
 

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
7,222
0
0
Dommyboy said:
Well I have the weird problem of I find most of the characters in Animal Crossing to be quite chubby.

You are busting out quite a lot of reviews as of late Susan, keep up the good work!
But that's what makes them so cute!

And yes, there will be DLC for Animal Crossing. New items will be available via Wii Connect (perhaps even for your birthday, hmmmmm?) and perhaps we'll even see new events down the line, who knows?
 

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
7,222
0
0
ZeroMachine said:
I would point you to "The Terrible Secret of Animal Crossing" but Something Awful makes you pay 10$ to see older posts... I wish I could find it, it's a hilarious (and disturbingly... disturbing) story about someone's foray into Animal Crossing.
Here is where the terrible secret hides.

The index of collected "Let's Play" threads can be found here. I highly recommend the "Medieval II: Total War - A Scotsman In Egypt" one. It's practically a novel in length, but amazingly well done.
 

CaptainCrunch

Imp-imation Department
Jul 21, 2008
711
0
0
Tenmar said:
Susan you are doing very well with these video supplement reviews. Quick and straight to the point but some time to talk about the game too.

I have to ask though, how do YOU do both the audio and the video for your video supplements? What I mean is both your method and your tools used for production. Do you use a Dazzle capture card for video and a preamplifier and microphone for audio?
The video is captured with "the conduit" - an external firewire capture box with video throughput. The audio is done separately, recorded without the game playing. Drop me a PM if you want specifics about the equipment.
 

Pigeon_Grenade

New member
May 29, 2008
1,163
0
0
Susan, this is looks almost like the first animal Crossing, but with a bit of a upgrade.. is that far from the truth?
 

shMerker

New member
Oct 24, 2007
263
0
0
PedroSteckecilo said:
Tis the way of women, I am glad that my fiancee finds Animal Crossing a little too sacharine for her tastes. She prefers the twisted soap opera fun of The Sims.
One of the great things about the internet is the way that they've made the infinite monkey theorem [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_monkey_theorem] a reality [http://www.duelinganalogs.com/?date=2005-12-15]. If you can imagine it, someone already [http://www.chainsawsuit.com/20080819.shtml] did [http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=184] it [http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=169].
 

Ardus_Virgo

New member
Aug 11, 2008
19
0
0
Honestly, I really hate real time games. Im a Blaze through it in a few sittings kind of guy. I also like the animal crossing series, so here's how I made it a non-real time game. Remember, dont trust the internal clock after dong this. when you want a new day to come up, quit the game, go to the date&Time menu, and set it for a day in the future. BAM you have a whole new day ahead of you. rinse and repeat as much as you want. This is a great way to make Quick Quick money!
 

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
7,222
0
0
Pigeon_Grenade said:
Susan, this is looks almost like the first animal Crossing, but with a bit of a upgrade.. is that far from the truth?
Not at all. There are a few tweaks and improvements here and there - far more collectibles and holidays, for example - but by and large it's the same game.
 

Kiutu

New member
Sep 27, 2008
1,787
0
0
I was gonna get a Wii, but my brother got one instead behind my back, and basically because of him I just went completly 360, but now that the real Animal Crossing sequal is out, I intend on getting my own Wii and this! (I do not live with him now) Though I will have to wait to play it if I get it for Christmas. When the first came out I also got it for Christmas and did not get to play it till real late so there was not much to do, since I was also new.
 

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
10,077
0
0
PedroSteckecilo said:
SimuLord said:
PedroSteckecilo said:
Tis the way of women, I am glad that my fiancee finds Animal Crossing a little too sacharine for her tastes. She prefers the twisted soap opera fun of The Sims.
Funny, my wife finds The Sims too tame, especially when she views the twisted and sordid world of my Sims neighborhood, in which the Rule 34 Tree looks like some sort of fractal pattern crossed with a random number generator.
Wait what?

The strangest I've seen is my roomate's neighborhood, it's composed of her favorite Tabloid Fodder...

Tom Cruise won't stop jumping on the couch.
You tell your roommate to keep her reality out of my Sims. Mine are all personally generated, but one of my stock characters is the Genetic Mixing Bowl Romance Sim (with a little help from the InTeenimater mod, which introduces 2% failure rate birth control, thus ensuring that I've no direct control over the breeding), whose goal in life is to Woohoo with every Sim, male or female, teen, collegiate, adult, or elder, that she (and it is always a she) can. Throw two or three of these into a neighborhood and cook on high (levels of woohoo) for a few days of play, and the who's-done-who begins to loop back on itself. My wife, who (thankfully) holds monogamy as one of the greatest human virtues, is consistently appalled by the results (and sick to death of that "first woohoo with a new partner" animation.)
 

nimrandir

New member
Oct 30, 2008
133
0
0
Tenmar said:
Susan you are doing very well with these video supplement reviews. Quick and straight to the point but some time to talk about the game too.

I have to ask though, how do YOU do both the audio and the video for your video supplements? What I mean is both your method and your tools used for production. Do you use a Dazzle capture card for video and a preamplifier and microphone for audio?
CaptainCrunch said:
The video is captured with "the conduit" - an external firewire capture box with video throughput. The audio is done separately, recorded without the game playing. Drop me a PM if you want specifics about the equipment.
Finding out the truth behind these supplements was a bit of a disappointment. I had figured that Susan was, in fact, SHODAN and that she had simply assimilated the games into her own code.
 

SecretTacoNinja

New member
Jul 8, 2008
2,257
0
0
Susan Arendt said:
PedroSteckecilo said:
For some reason I keep transposing Happy Tree Friends scenario's over the residents of Animal Crossing...

Perhaps this isn't the game for me.
Oh, dear lord, that's a hilarious mental image...
I would love seeing Mr Ressetti die in the worst possible way...
 

Mariena

New member
Sep 25, 2008
930
0
0
Expecting this for the PC is .. well, not going to happen.. but what is the point of this game? I mean, is there an objective? A "boss" you need to "defeat"? .. Anything?

Or is it basically like the Sims, where you just... do stuff.. till the end of the time?

Also, blondes rule! What a disappointment, Susan. :(

=)
 

poleboy

New member
May 19, 2008
1,026
0
0
I've sunk days of real time into the DS version, so I don't think this is for me. But I can definitly recommend it. Nintendo crack at its finest. Although I always felt that the DS was the better platform for its pick-up-and-play style of gameplay.
 

MetalBaird

New member
Aug 21, 2008
88
0
0
what I dont understand, is that Animal Crossing seems like an escape from reality? But protrayed really badly. I mean, its basically the exact same as the real world, except cartoon like. You can plant flowers and make things look nice, you can go to the theater and learn about culture, and you cant ever afford the good stuff such as beauty treatment which people think you badly need? It all seems to much like a cartoon version of the real world which may attract some people, but repel others as its not what they want to escape to when they turn on thier console after a hard day of college or working really.

My opinion obv. Any thoughts?
 

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
7,222
0
0
MetalBaird said:
what I dont understand, is that Animal Crossing seems like an escape from reality? But protrayed really badly. I mean, its basically the exact same as the real world, except cartoon like. You can plant flowers and make things look nice, you can go to the theater and learn about culture, and you cant ever afford the good stuff such as beauty treatment which people think you badly need? It all seems to much like a cartoon version of the real world which may attract some people, but repel others as its not what they want to escape to when they turn on thier console after a hard day of college or working really.

My opinion obv. Any thoughts?
About the worst thing that can happen to you in the game is being stung by a bee - hardly on par with real life. Animal Crossing lets you escape by giving you dominion over your own little town. Plant nothing but red flowers, chop down every tree, decorate your house with nothing but furniture shaped like fruit...the world is what you make of it. It's really not difficult to get plenty of money (though you'll certainly have to save up to afford anything Gracie has for sale), so pretty much whatever you do is all reward, no risk.

I certainly understand that not everyone finds echoes of normal life to be enough escapism for them, but as life sims go, this one is pretty easygoing.
 

MetalBaird

New member
Aug 21, 2008
88
0
0
wow, Section Editor retort, I genuinly feel proud that caught your attention.

I may have played it a little bit with the "Exact same as the real world, except cartoon like" because, well, it's not exactly the same, as you said. What I meant was that it all seems like a flowery and fluffed up version of The Sims without the fun of sexing up everything you see or killing the family just because they don't want to play guitar. This is from my perspective and I dont really see the point in these games other than taking a few Vicoden and seeing round corners while your playing them. You said there was no risk, unless your allergic to bees of course, and that its basically your own little world. I thought that was what Spore did, but on a bigger scale? I'm not saying its a terrible game for everyone and everyone should hate it, I'm just confused on what the main goal of the game is? Literally to shop down every tree or find out why the chicken did cross the road? *Boom Boom*
Insight?

Thanks
Baird
 

Ardus_Virgo

New member
Aug 11, 2008
19
0
0
MetalBaird said:
Exact same as the real world
If your reasoning is correct, Why would anyone play the sims?

MetalBaird said:
flowery and fluffed up version of The Sims without the fun of sexing up everything you see or killing the family just because they don't want to play guitar.
again, its for the people that like cartoony versions of the sims. I personally like it but, thats just cause my life sucks. :D
 

SeniorDingDong

New member
Jan 8, 2008
213
0
0
Well, this is actually my first AC game ever. After I stopped prejudging the series and gave this game a fair chance ... it totally sucked me in ^^. Seems to me like a cross between The Sims and Duckburg ;)

Its a cute and innocent escape from reality.
 

MetalBaird

New member
Aug 21, 2008
88
0
0
Ardus_Virgo said:
again, its for the people that like cartoony versions of the sims. I personally like it but, thats just cause my life sucks. :D
haha I'm sure you're life isnt all that bad. Cartoony and flowered up things can be played very well, for example, I got little big planet recently for christmas and its incredible! many a flowers in that game. I just dont see the point in Animal Crossing. What is the end goal in it? Any final hurdles to rain on the flower parade of Animal Crossing?
 

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
7,222
0
0
MetalBaird said:
wow, Section Editor retort, I genuinly feel proud that caught your attention.

I may have played it a little bit with the "Exact same as the real world, except cartoon like" because, well, it's not exactly the same, as you said. What I meant was that it all seems like a flowery and fluffed up version of The Sims without the fun of sexing up everything you see or killing the family just because they don't want to play guitar. This is from my perspective and I dont really see the point in these games other than taking a few Vicoden and seeing round corners while your playing them. You said there was no risk, unless your allergic to bees of course, and that its basically your own little world. I thought that was what Spore did, but on a bigger scale? I'm not saying its a terrible game for everyone and everyone should hate it, I'm just confused on what the main goal of the game is? Literally to shop down every tree or find out why the chicken did cross the road? *Boom Boom*
Insight?

Thanks
Baird
The goal is whatever you want it to be. The game doesn't put any particular restrictions on you - but you're right, you can't sex up the place or lock your character in a room until he starves to death. It's a family-friendly, cartoony life sim, and as such, is fairly toothless in the harm department.

There's no way to "win," there's no quests or goals, per se - though you could consider paying off the various financial stages of improving your house to be one set of a goals, collecting everything to fill out the museum to be another set of goals, and so on. It's not meant to be an intense experience, it's supposed to be very laid back and, dare I say it, casual. AC is a game meant to be played for an hour or two every few days, all year 'round, as opposed to nonstop for two or three weeks straight.
 

MetalBaird

New member
Aug 21, 2008
88
0
0
Hmmm I understand what you mean now tbh.
Its the sort of game that you can mellow out to and the type of game that makes all the gamer girlies out there go "aww it's so cute =)" *not sexist as that is a quote from one of my friends when I asked them why they enjoy the game.

So, to conclude my curiosity, it is a casual game that is enjoyed by serious gamers trying to unwind and casual gamers for the flowers and freedom. Overall its the lighter side to the gaming world where Nico Bellic cannot steal the local town bus/taxi and kill the hairdresser.

Baird