Review: Animal Crossing: City Folk

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Review: Animal Crossing: City Folk

Animal Crossing: City Folk will have you once again obsessed with furniture, listening to a guitar-playing dog, and plotting the demise of a certain money-lending raccoon.

Read Full Article

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
For some reason I keep transposing Happy Tree Friends scenario's over the residents of Animal Crossing...

Perhaps this isn't the game for me.

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
My wife wants this in the WORST WAY. She made little cooing noises all through the video supplement.

I offered to let her in on Silent Hill Homecoming, but she wasn't interested. Go figure.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Tis the way of women, I am glad that my fiancee finds Animal Crossing a little too sacharine for her tastes. She prefers the twisted soap opera fun of The Sims.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
PedroSteckecilo said:
For some reason I keep transposing Happy Tree Friends scenario's over the residents of Animal Crossing...

Perhaps this isn't the game for me.
Oh, dear lord, that's a hilarious mental image...

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
You can blame the header comment about "Plotting the demise of a certain money lending racoon."

I can see it now...

Tom Nook, dazed and confused after having a little too much punch at last nights party and passing out from acid indigestion, awakens in a darkened room strapped to a conveyor belt. Slowly the lights raise and a rosey cheeked, orange nosed face obscured by shadows peers at him through the darkness.

"Good morning Mr. Nook, did you sleep well?"

"What's going on here?" Nook asks, straining with great futility against his restraints.

"It's simple Mr. Nook, time and time again you have cheated and exploited me, well no more, now it's time for vengeance."

"Wait! We can work something out!" Nook protests loudly, still struggling.

"No Mr. Nook, the time for deals is past, you could have been generous but no, game after game I am in your debt. This will be the last payment I ever make to you, a payment of pain!"

Suddenly the conveyor belt begins to move and the lights raise, revealing the terrifying visage of a massive death engine constructed from ramshackle parts gathered from dig after dig. Its operation is simple, the conveyor belt moves and slowly brings the restrained Mr. Nook to the mouth of the machine, which will twist and contort him until finally he is squashed into the mechanical, twitching form of a Gyroid, imprisoned for all eternity.

"A fitting fate Mr. Nook, I have an excellent place on my mantle piece JUST FOR YOU! MWA HA HA HA HA!"

...okay I might have gone a little off the handle there.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
PedroSteckecilo said:
You can blame the header comment about "Plotting the demise of a certain money lending racoon."

I can see it now...

Tom Nook, dazed and confused after having a little too much punch at last nights party and passing out from acid indigestion, awakens in a darkened room strapped to a conveyor belt. Slowly the lights raise and a rosey cheeked, orange nosed face obscured by shadows peers at him through the darkness.

"Good morning Mr. Nook, did you sleep well?"

"What's going on here?" Nook asks, straining with great futility against his restraints.

"It's simple Mr. Nook, time and time again you have cheated and exploited me, well no more, now it's time for vengeance."

"Wait! We can work something out!" Nook protests loudly, still struggling.

"No Mr. Nook, the time for deals is past, you could have been generous but no, game after game I am in your debt. This will be the last payment I ever make to you, a payment of pain!"

Suddenly the conveyor belt begins to move and the lights raise, revealing the terrifying visage of a massive death engine constructed from ramshackle parts gathered from dig after dig. Its operation is simple, the conveyor belt moves and slowly brings the restrained Mr. Nook to the mouth of the machine, which will twist and contort him until finally he is squashed into the mechanical, twitching form of a Gyroid, imprisoned for all eternity.

"A fitting fate Mr. Nook, I have an excellent place on my mantle piece JUST FOR YOU! MWA HA HA HA HA!"

...okay I might have gone a little off the handle there.
I would point you to "The Terrible Secret of Animal Crossing" but Something Awful makes you pay 10$ to see older posts... I wish I could find it, it's a hilarious (and disturbingly... disturbing) story about someone's foray into Animal Crossing.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
PedroSteckecilo said:
Tis the way of women, I am glad that my fiancee finds Animal Crossing a little too sacharine for her tastes. She prefers the twisted soap opera fun of The Sims.
Funny, my wife finds The Sims too tame, especially when she views the twisted and sordid world of my Sims neighborhood, in which the Rule 34 Tree looks like some sort of fractal pattern crossed with a random number generator.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
SimuLord said:
PedroSteckecilo said:
Funny, my wife finds The Sims too tame, especially when she views the twisted and sordid world of my Sims neighborhood, in which the Rule 34 Tree looks like some sort of fractal pattern crossed with a random number generator.
Wait what?

The strangest I've seen is my roomate's neighborhood, it's composed of her favorite Tabloid Fodder...

Tom Cruise won't stop jumping on the couch.

Aiden Rebirth

Nov 19, 2008
cool review.
I was literally worried for my sisters safety when she played the first game, she sorta disappeared in to the world never to be seen again, and this is why I won't be buying a wii. p.s. she's 21 now and like 17 when she played the first so very scary stuff.

nimrandir

Oct 30, 2008
I bought this game for my wife when she was home sick a couple of weeks ago, and it has its hooks in us just as deeply as its GameCube sibling did. I have lost a couple of evenings since then to simply wandering about our new little hamlet. How does such a ridiculous concept eat hours of my life?

On a related note, I felt like a traitor to my original town by creating a character in the new game. Hopefully Curly and Octavian bear me no ill will.

Edit: Did anyone else find himself/herself yelling "There's a friggin' fossil behind you!" at the video supplement?

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
I really enjoyed the Gamecube version, so maybe I'll pick this up. *puts it on the end of his 2-page list of games to buy eventually*

However, this game would be ten times cooler if, once again, Nintendo used DLC. It keeps irking me that they have the VC and WiiWare, and yet don't support DLC for existing games.

runtheplacered

Oct 31, 2007
PedroSteckecilo said:
Saccharine? Isn't that supposed to be a good thing? As in the sweetener or just in general sweet? Unless you're saying she found it so sweet that it makes her gag. I could see that.

As for my fiancee, she's enjoyed both AC and Sims, but ultimately got bored with both. She also doesn't hold very high hopes for Sims 3, but that's another subject.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
runtheplacered said:
PedroSteckecilo said:
Saccharine? Isn't that supposed to be a good thing? As in the sweetener or just in general sweet? Unless you're saying she found it so sweet that it makes her gag. I could see that.

As for my fiancee, she's enjoyed both AC and Sims, but ultimately got bored with both. She also doesn't hold very high hopes for Sims 3, but that's another subject.
It's a question of what you want out of a game,

She was dissapointed that all it had going for it was "cute" and found the overall game unsatisfying.

I suppose my statement was a little wrong then, the Cute wasn't what bothered her, it was the lack of driving purpose in the game.

Dommyboy

Jul 20, 2008
Well I have the weird problem of I find most of the characters in Animal Crossing to be quite chubby.

You are busting out quite a lot of reviews as of late Susan, keep up the good work!

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Dommyboy said:
Well I have the weird problem of I find most of the characters in Animal Crossing to be quite chubby.

You are busting out quite a lot of reviews as of late Susan, keep up the good work!
But that's what makes them so cute!

And yes, there will be DLC for Animal Crossing. New items will be available via Wii Connect (perhaps even for your birthday, hmmmmm?) and perhaps we'll even see new events down the line, who knows?

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
ZeroMachine said:
I would point you to "The Terrible Secret of Animal Crossing" but Something Awful makes you pay 10$ to see older posts... I wish I could find it, it's a hilarious (and disturbingly... disturbing) story about someone's foray into Animal Crossing.
Here is where the terrible secret hides.

The index of collected "Let's Play" threads can be found here. I highly recommend the "Medieval II: Total War - A Scotsman In Egypt" one. It's practically a novel in length, but amazingly well done.

CaptainCrunch

Imp-imation Department
Jul 21, 2008
Tenmar said:
Susan you are doing very well with these video supplement reviews. Quick and straight to the point but some time to talk about the game too.

I have to ask though, how do YOU do both the audio and the video for your video supplements? What I mean is both your method and your tools used for production. Do you use a Dazzle capture card for video and a preamplifier and microphone for audio?
The video is captured with "the conduit" - an external firewire capture box with video throughput. The audio is done separately, recorded without the game playing. Drop me a PM if you want specifics about the equipment.