Review: Animal Crossing: City Folk

Pigeon_Grenade

May 29, 2008
Susan, this is looks almost like the first animal Crossing, but with a bit of a upgrade.. is that far from the truth?

shMerker

Oct 24, 2007
PedroSteckecilo said:
Tis the way of women, I am glad that my fiancee finds Animal Crossing a little too sacharine for her tastes. She prefers the twisted soap opera fun of The Sims.
One of the great things about the internet is the way that they've made the infinite monkey theorem [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_monkey_theorem] a reality [http://www.duelinganalogs.com/?date=2005-12-15]. If you can imagine it, someone already [http://www.chainsawsuit.com/20080819.shtml] did [http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=184] it [http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=169].

Ardus_Virgo

Aug 11, 2008
Honestly, I really hate real time games. Im a Blaze through it in a few sittings kind of guy. I also like the animal crossing series, so here's how I made it a non-real time game. Remember, dont trust the internal clock after dong this. when you want a new day to come up, quit the game, go to the date&Time menu, and set it for a day in the future. BAM you have a whole new day ahead of you. rinse and repeat as much as you want. This is a great way to make Quick Quick money!

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Pigeon_Grenade said:
Susan, this is looks almost like the first animal Crossing, but with a bit of a upgrade.. is that far from the truth?
Not at all. There are a few tweaks and improvements here and there - far more collectibles and holidays, for example - but by and large it's the same game.

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
I was gonna get a Wii, but my brother got one instead behind my back, and basically because of him I just went completly 360, but now that the real Animal Crossing sequal is out, I intend on getting my own Wii and this! (I do not live with him now) Though I will have to wait to play it if I get it for Christmas. When the first came out I also got it for Christmas and did not get to play it till real late so there was not much to do, since I was also new.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
PedroSteckecilo said:
SimuLord said:
PedroSteckecilo said:
Tis the way of women, I am glad that my fiancee finds Animal Crossing a little too sacharine for her tastes. She prefers the twisted soap opera fun of The Sims.
Funny, my wife finds The Sims too tame, especially when she views the twisted and sordid world of my Sims neighborhood, in which the Rule 34 Tree looks like some sort of fractal pattern crossed with a random number generator.
Wait what?

The strangest I've seen is my roomate's neighborhood, it's composed of her favorite Tabloid Fodder...

Tom Cruise won't stop jumping on the couch.
You tell your roommate to keep her reality out of my Sims. Mine are all personally generated, but one of my stock characters is the Genetic Mixing Bowl Romance Sim (with a little help from the InTeenimater mod, which introduces 2% failure rate birth control, thus ensuring that I've no direct control over the breeding), whose goal in life is to Woohoo with every Sim, male or female, teen, collegiate, adult, or elder, that she (and it is always a she) can. Throw two or three of these into a neighborhood and cook on high (levels of woohoo) for a few days of play, and the who's-done-who begins to loop back on itself. My wife, who (thankfully) holds monogamy as one of the greatest human virtues, is consistently appalled by the results (and sick to death of that "first woohoo with a new partner" animation.)

nimrandir

Oct 30, 2008
Tenmar said:
Susan you are doing very well with these video supplement reviews. Quick and straight to the point but some time to talk about the game too.

I have to ask though, how do YOU do both the audio and the video for your video supplements? What I mean is both your method and your tools used for production. Do you use a Dazzle capture card for video and a preamplifier and microphone for audio?
CaptainCrunch said:
The video is captured with "the conduit" - an external firewire capture box with video throughput. The audio is done separately, recorded without the game playing. Drop me a PM if you want specifics about the equipment.
Finding out the truth behind these supplements was a bit of a disappointment. I had figured that Susan was, in fact, SHODAN and that she had simply assimilated the games into her own code.

SecretTacoNinja

Jul 8, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
PedroSteckecilo said:
For some reason I keep transposing Happy Tree Friends scenario's over the residents of Animal Crossing...

Perhaps this isn't the game for me.
Oh, dear lord, that's a hilarious mental image...
I would love seeing Mr Ressetti die in the worst possible way...

Mariena

Sep 25, 2008
Expecting this for the PC is .. well, not going to happen.. but what is the point of this game? I mean, is there an objective? A "boss" you need to "defeat"? .. Anything?

Or is it basically like the Sims, where you just... do stuff.. till the end of the time?

Also, blondes rule! What a disappointment, Susan. :(

=)

poleboy

May 19, 2008
I've sunk days of real time into the DS version, so I don't think this is for me. But I can definitly recommend it. Nintendo crack at its finest. Although I always felt that the DS was the better platform for its pick-up-and-play style of gameplay.

MetalBaird

Aug 21, 2008
what I dont understand, is that Animal Crossing seems like an escape from reality? But protrayed really badly. I mean, its basically the exact same as the real world, except cartoon like. You can plant flowers and make things look nice, you can go to the theater and learn about culture, and you cant ever afford the good stuff such as beauty treatment which people think you badly need? It all seems to much like a cartoon version of the real world which may attract some people, but repel others as its not what they want to escape to when they turn on thier console after a hard day of college or working really.

My opinion obv. Any thoughts?

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
MetalBaird said:
what I dont understand, is that Animal Crossing seems like an escape from reality? But protrayed really badly. I mean, its basically the exact same as the real world, except cartoon like. You can plant flowers and make things look nice, you can go to the theater and learn about culture, and you cant ever afford the good stuff such as beauty treatment which people think you badly need? It all seems to much like a cartoon version of the real world which may attract some people, but repel others as its not what they want to escape to when they turn on thier console after a hard day of college or working really.

My opinion obv. Any thoughts?
About the worst thing that can happen to you in the game is being stung by a bee - hardly on par with real life. Animal Crossing lets you escape by giving you dominion over your own little town. Plant nothing but red flowers, chop down every tree, decorate your house with nothing but furniture shaped like fruit...the world is what you make of it. It's really not difficult to get plenty of money (though you'll certainly have to save up to afford anything Gracie has for sale), so pretty much whatever you do is all reward, no risk.

I certainly understand that not everyone finds echoes of normal life to be enough escapism for them, but as life sims go, this one is pretty easygoing.

MetalBaird

Aug 21, 2008
wow, Section Editor retort, I genuinly feel proud that caught your attention.

I may have played it a little bit with the "Exact same as the real world, except cartoon like" because, well, it's not exactly the same, as you said. What I meant was that it all seems like a flowery and fluffed up version of The Sims without the fun of sexing up everything you see or killing the family just because they don't want to play guitar. This is from my perspective and I dont really see the point in these games other than taking a few Vicoden and seeing round corners while your playing them. You said there was no risk, unless your allergic to bees of course, and that its basically your own little world. I thought that was what Spore did, but on a bigger scale? I'm not saying its a terrible game for everyone and everyone should hate it, I'm just confused on what the main goal of the game is? Literally to shop down every tree or find out why the chicken did cross the road? *Boom Boom*
Insight?

Thanks
Baird

Ardus_Virgo

Aug 11, 2008
MetalBaird said:
Exact same as the real world
If your reasoning is correct, Why would anyone play the sims?

MetalBaird said:
flowery and fluffed up version of The Sims without the fun of sexing up everything you see or killing the family just because they don't want to play guitar.
again, its for the people that like cartoony versions of the sims. I personally like it but, thats just cause my life sucks. :D

SeniorDingDong

Jan 8, 2008
Well, this is actually my first AC game ever. After I stopped prejudging the series and gave this game a fair chance ... it totally sucked me in ^^. Seems to me like a cross between The Sims and Duckburg ;)

Its a cute and innocent escape from reality.

MetalBaird

Aug 21, 2008
Ardus_Virgo said:
again, its for the people that like cartoony versions of the sims. I personally like it but, thats just cause my life sucks. :D
haha I'm sure you're life isnt all that bad. Cartoony and flowered up things can be played very well, for example, I got little big planet recently for christmas and its incredible! many a flowers in that game. I just dont see the point in Animal Crossing. What is the end goal in it? Any final hurdles to rain on the flower parade of Animal Crossing?

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
MetalBaird said:
wow, Section Editor retort, I genuinly feel proud that caught your attention.

I may have played it a little bit with the "Exact same as the real world, except cartoon like" because, well, it's not exactly the same, as you said. What I meant was that it all seems like a flowery and fluffed up version of The Sims without the fun of sexing up everything you see or killing the family just because they don't want to play guitar. This is from my perspective and I dont really see the point in these games other than taking a few Vicoden and seeing round corners while your playing them. You said there was no risk, unless your allergic to bees of course, and that its basically your own little world. I thought that was what Spore did, but on a bigger scale? I'm not saying its a terrible game for everyone and everyone should hate it, I'm just confused on what the main goal of the game is? Literally to shop down every tree or find out why the chicken did cross the road? *Boom Boom*
Insight?

Thanks
Baird
The goal is whatever you want it to be. The game doesn't put any particular restrictions on you - but you're right, you can't sex up the place or lock your character in a room until he starves to death. It's a family-friendly, cartoony life sim, and as such, is fairly toothless in the harm department.

There's no way to "win," there's no quests or goals, per se - though you could consider paying off the various financial stages of improving your house to be one set of a goals, collecting everything to fill out the museum to be another set of goals, and so on. It's not meant to be an intense experience, it's supposed to be very laid back and, dare I say it, casual. AC is a game meant to be played for an hour or two every few days, all year 'round, as opposed to nonstop for two or three weeks straight.

MetalBaird

Aug 21, 2008
Hmmm I understand what you mean now tbh.
Its the sort of game that you can mellow out to and the type of game that makes all the gamer girlies out there go "aww it's so cute =)" *not sexist as that is a quote from one of my friends when I asked them why they enjoy the game.

So, to conclude my curiosity, it is a casual game that is enjoyed by serious gamers trying to unwind and casual gamers for the flowers and freedom. Overall its the lighter side to the gaming world where Nico Bellic cannot steal the local town bus/taxi and kill the hairdresser.

Baird