Review: Army of Two: The 40th Day

Hashbrick

Mar 20, 2009
My brother and I beat the game in less than 5hrs, which tells a lot about the amount of content you can expect. The biggest gripe I had about the game is that levels were just, to put bluntly sucked ass, they were short and very uncreative. Same shit every level never really stepped it up as far as a challenge factor goes. Needless to say we played the first together and enjoyed it, this one however he went back to gamestop and lucky to get $20 out of it. At any rate it is defiantly a renter even if they cut the price to $30. There is more content out of steam indie games that you pay $9.99.

elementsoul

Aug 28, 2009
You left out multiplayer modes and the custom mask and armor design creator on the EA website.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Heh, rented it last Friday with a buddy. All in all very much the same as the original (except for the moral choice bits and the highly improved GPS system) and good, competent fun for a few hours, but definitely not worth more than 25 Euros... I'll end up buying it eventually, but only second-hand or if I find it in a bin somewhere.

ironlordthemad

Sep 25, 2009
paralost said:
i wonder if they improved your partner A.I. cause the first one sucked
all the gameplay has been improved
including enemy AI (by the way, watch out if you get downed because enemies run over if they are close enough and snap your face off)

Jul 9, 2008
snowfox said:
Resident evil 5, a game where the second player is a female.. People hated the cow.

Army of 2, a game that has 2 male characters in their co-op storyline... People automatically assume they're gay!

There's just no pleasing anyone is there..

I'd laugh if the developers just threw their hands up in the air and shipped the next co-op game with transvestites...
I think it's less that they're both male and more that they seem to be going out of their way to do masculine things. People secure in their sexuality don't do that.

As a side note, people hated Sheva? I didn't think she was that bad, or at least not any worse than anyone else in that god-awful game.

snow

Jan 14, 2010
orannis62 said:
snowfox said:
Resident evil 5, a game where the second player is a female.. People hated the cow.

Army of 2, a game that has 2 male characters in their co-op storyline... People automatically assume they're gay!

I'd laugh if the developers just threw their hands up in the air and shipped the next co-op game with transvestites...
I think it's less that they're both male and more that they seem to be going out of their way to do masculine things. People secure in their sexuality don't do that.

As a side note, people hated Sheva? I didn't think she was that bad, or at least not any worse than anyone else in that god-awful game.
I think we've just heard different sides of the story when it came to Sheva... I never personally had a problem with her. I've heard a gripe or 30 from others about how much they couldn't stand her as a character. I'm not including those who have had a problem with her in single player though.

I've never got to play through the entire first Ao2, seeing as how I only get to play it when I go to my brothers house... So unless I missed a cutscene that ripped off that one commercial I once saw where 2 guys accidentally kissed and then immediately pulled out some chest hair to prove their manhood. The main characters in the game seemed to act like brothers to me..

My brother and I just looked at eachother and laughed when my character tried to lift open a gate, failing miserably, and his character just shoves him out of the way and lifts it with ease. (This happens all the time in some way, shape, or form in RL when he and I hang out.)

Perhaps if they were actually brothers, would their actions be overlooked? That being asked with the hopes that I'm not missing out on anything considering I have yet to play through it all.

darmey

Sep 10, 2008
Heard this game is TERRIBLE, despite what people say about it being an improvement on the original. The only good thing about the first one was that you could ***** about it with your co-op buddy, or when he pissed you off, you could lock him into repeated fist bumps that he can't run away from.

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
I'd say surviving a direct plane crash and immediately jumping to your feet earns you a slap on the ass - at least to make sure it isn't secretly made out of unobtainium.

Jul 9, 2008
snowfox said:
orannis62 said:
snowfox said:

I think we've just heard different sides of the story when it came to Sheva... I never personally had a problem with her. I've heard a gripe or 30 from others about how much they couldn't stand her as a character. I'm not including those who have had a problem with her in single player though.

I've never got to play through the entire first Ao2, seeing as how I only get to play it when I go to my brothers house... So unless I missed a cutscene that ripped off that one commercial I once saw where 2 guys accidentally kissed and then immediately pulled out some chest hair to prove their manhood. The main characters in the game seemed to act like brothers to me..

My brother and I just looked at eachother and laughed when my character tried to lift open a gate, failing miserably, and his character just shoves him out of the way and lifts it with ease. (This happens all the time in some way, shape, or form in RL when he and I hang out.)

Perhaps if they were actually brothers, would their actions be overlooked? That being asked with the hopes that I'm not missing out on anything considering I have yet to play through it all.
Waitwaitwait...people were playing a RE game and somehow found Sheva worse than Chris? Don't get me wrong, I hate them both (I just hate the game, yet I can't stop playing it! Grrr...), but if I had to choose one, I'd go with Sheva. I'm not sure why, maybe it's just because she's reasonably proportioned, unlike Chris "Melon Arms" Redfield. Although that accent goes very far towards offsetting that...

...sorry, I tend to go on tangents about RE5. If NoMoreSanity hadn't been banned, we were going to do a co-op review of it (we played it together, at least once per difficulty, and we both hated it).

snow

Jan 14, 2010
orannis62 said:
snowfox said:
orannis62 said:
snowfox said:

Waitwaitwait...people were playing a RE game and somehow found Sheva worse than Chris? Don't get me wrong, I hate them both (I just hate the game, yet I can't stop playing it! Grrr...), but if I had to choose one, I'd go with Sheva. I'm not sure why, maybe it's just because she's reasonably proportioned, unlike Chris "Melon Arms" Redfield. Although that accent goes very far towards offsetting that...

...sorry, I tend to go on tangents about RE5. If NoMoreSanity hadn't been banned, we were going to do a co-op review of it (we played it together, at least once per difficulty, and we both hated it).
Yes! Believe it or not, I know people who hate Sheva! I never personally had too much of a problem with her, but I do agree with you the accent was just something I couldn't come to terms with. Not trying to be racist... It's just not everyday that I come across something like that... It's like coming across an asian with a thick Pennsylvanian Dutch acccent. Understandable,(maybe?) but it will turn a few heads.

Jul 9, 2008
snowfox said:
orannis62 said:
snowfox said:
orannis62 said:
snowfox said:

Yes! Believe it or not, I know people who hate Sheva! I never personally had too much of a problem with her, but I do agree with you the accent was just something I couldn't come to terms with. Not trying to be racist... It's just not everyday that I come across something like that... It's like coming across an asian with a thick Pennsylvanian Dutch acccent. Understandable,(maybe?) but it will turn a few heads.
I know, I get that they were going for a South African accent, but a friend of mine is from South Africa and he sounds nothing like that.

It wasn't even like she had one accent, she kept switching back and forth.

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
I'd actually buy that game you described at first. It sounds a shit load more interesting than this drivel.

mchoueiri

Jun 10, 2009
I think Army of two is a poor mans gears of war. it brings nothing good to the table besides bad controls a bad story and a lot f cliches

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
The first one and the second are both god awful, buy a shotgun, end game. They promised great co-op, which all that it really was, was boosties and a weak attempt at aggro based combat. There are MUCH better co-op games than this.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
i'm sure the ass slap is like what u see in sports. and friendly no homo 'good job' gesture...im sure >.>

Ryuk2

Sep 27, 2009
What i like about Army of Two is that enemies die from shots. That's about it really, but i really like how you shot something and it stays down.

Atvomat_Nikonov

Jul 2, 2008
Jaredin said:
lol...if this is anything like the first one just a fully blown testosterone adventure through nothingness...Might rent iut, certainly not buying it...
I wouldn't advise buying it. I payed full price for this game and beat it in 4 hours(if that) on normal. The review does say it best, rent it and play it with a friend. I just wish this review would have come out yesterday, would have saved me some cash.

sumguitardude

Jan 20, 2010
the game does has some small issues,, like bad animations and sound.
But overall its a really great bromance and a great game to play with someone^^