Review: Assassin?s Creed Brotherhood

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010

See the glories of the Eternal City. Don?t forget your stabbing knife!

Read Full Article

Aqualung

Mar 11, 2009
Auuugh, how could you do this to me. D: I get to wait until Christmas for the game; your praise makes that wait so much harder.

Damn you, Ubisoft! How dare you release great games during the holiday season! *shake fist, tears. Oh, so many tears.*

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I need this game. But the car is in the shop...I wanna go and pick it up, damn it!

HURRY UP, MECHANIC!

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
Huh I wasn't going to get this, but if its this good, I might just have to go pick it up today

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Sounds great. The original was a blast, so this one should be good too. *puts on big 'ol list of games to buy eventually*

lumenadducere

May 19, 2008
What about length? That's the only thing holding me back from picking this up - I'm really not looking for a short game. Is it about the same length as 2 was, or is it shorter?

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
My, that "JUMP ON A WALL" bit scared the hell out of me.

Hey, Steve, little question, if I have a chance to pick up Assassins Creed 2 (knowing that I'll like it since I've enjoyed Assassins Creed 1), should I do that before Brotherhood?

Because this one is the one I definitely want to get - it's basically The Godfather 2 game only polished and about assassins. Awesome.

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
JourneyThroughHell said:
My, that "JUMP ON A WALL" bit scared the hell out of me.

Hey, Steve, little question, if I have a chance to pick up Assassins Creed 2 (knowing that I'll like it since I've enjoyed Assassins Creed 1), should I do that before Brotherhood?

Because this one is the one I definitely want to get - it's basically The Godfather 2 game only polished and about assassins. Awesome.
Yes. Do not get and play this game until you have played AC2. It's like seeing Empire Strikes Back before Star Wars.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
The review included all the resons for ehy I am getting this game.
But, I'm going to have to wait 3 MORE AGONIZING MONTHS FOR A PC VERSION.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I rather liked Creed II, despite the way that the story shat itself inside out.

So I'll probably get this after a few months.

Good review.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
blipblop said:
dont know if I should buy this or the new COD
Buy this. Believe me, the story will be more captivating and original than COD.
BTW, they both have multiplayer and one features parkour and assassinations while the other one just features shooting.

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
I need this game. But the car is in the shop...I wanna go and pick it up, damn it!

HURRY UP, MECHANIC!
The mechanic is a templar preventing you from fulfilling your Assassin duties! You know what you must do...

Anyways, I've been replaying the second game lately and remembering why I loved it so much (except for the DLC. There's a reason that got left out. A lot more polish should have been put on that). If this is an improvement on that, I'm definitely going to enjoy it. Hopefully it comes in the mail soon.

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
JourneyThroughHell said:
I'm not Steve, but I'll give you a response anyway:

Good Lords, yes!

The story in AC II gets crazy twisted, and unless it will be properly explained in the intro (and knowing how they handled AC I plot in AC II - I HIGHLY DOUBT IT), you'll... maybe not exactly NEED it, but it would be EXTREMELY helpful to know all kinds of stuff from II.

Also, AC II is also brilliant.

I hope that helps!

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
Steve Butts said:
It's like seeing Empire Strikes Back before Star Wars.
Hey, I watched Empire Strike's Back before Star Wars, and it was fine. Granted, I was 6 at the time, and I COMPLETELY forgot the story of it before I watched the full trilogy several years later, but it wasn't THAT BAD (I had some prompts from my dad, sitting next to me though).

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
I loved AC2 so much, AC:B is the first game I ever pre-ordered. I'm so happy to hear it wasn't in vain. Thanks for the review, Steve!

pneuma08

Gaming Connoisseur
Sep 10, 2008
Man, those daggers went right through that plate mail. They aren't even going for the weak joints anymore. I guess that's more "badass" but still...

So, what are the odds that a month from now we'll see the game on sale for $20-30 off?

AgentBJ09

May 24, 2010
Still doesn't interest me much; I've read up on the real assassins, and I detest them with every ounce of my being.

My store had a midnight release for AC:B, which I was there for, but I had my eyes on Sonic Colors instead. Worth every bit of the 29.99 I spent.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
I went through an hour-long bus ride to pick up my copy. (The store I reserved it was near my old house, but FAR away from my new house, and the bus routes from my campus to that store ony met at a single point, so... yeah, it was my fault, really.) I mean, by incredible luck, my classes for today were canceled, so I got it even earlier. It was like a sign. Can't wait to start playing!

harv3034

Sep 23, 2010
Sweet, sounds like something I'll enjoy quite a bit.

on an unrelated note/ Y'all got this review out FAST!!!!
didn't this game JUST hit shelves?

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
My copy just arrived! Oh, I haven't been this excited about a release this year since Mass Effect 2.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Bah, I'd buy this in a heartbeat if I had the money...but that is not the case at this point. Damnit...why did I have to buy that car?! haha

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
Steve, critical question. Can you unequip armour in this one? Good review by the way, glad to hear it's not a disappointment.

(P.s. Damn you Americans and your Brotherhood release date being today, not in 3 days time...)

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
When I tried to comment here at twelve it said the file had been deleted. Fucking servers >(
Anyway, Steve, you talk too loud. My brother will have this game by the time I get home for the weekend. I might actually try this edition of Ass Creed. Don't worry I've watched my brother play the others so I know what they're about.

Mr.Pandah said:
Bah, I'd buy this in a heartbeat if I had the money...but that is not the case at this point. Damnit...why did I have to buy that car?! haha
Onyx Oblivion said:

HURRY UP, MECHANIC!
I think I just found the solution to both your problems. You should probably assassinate your mechanic anyway Onyx, just to be safe.

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
HankMan said:
When I tried to comment here at twelve it said the file had been deleted. Fucking servers >(
Anyway, Steve, you talk too loud.
Maybe your speakers are too loud.

BAM!

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
Steve Butts said:
HankMan said:
Anyway, Steve, you talk too loud.
Maybe your speakers are too loud.

BAM!
I had to turn them down to 25% before I could watch this video, but I'm weiring headphones so that probably didn't help.

And don't yell at me! <:(

ciancon

Waiting patiently.....
Nov 27, 2009
Waitaminute, is this game out in America NOW!? God a fucking dammit!!! Come on Friday 19th!!!

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
Steve Butts said:

Read Full Article
Where the hell is the Multiplayer review, Escapist?! I am missing on perhaps the biggest draw of this entire 2.5 game.

Unhappy Crow

Mar 14, 2010
Tempting, but multiplayer is the reason why I'm steering away from this game. That and this game is out a year after AC II.

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
Does it expand on the AC2 ending? Or is it just a sort of "look at Ezio's life" game. I want to know more about Adam and Eve etc.

WaysideMaze

The Butcher On Your Back
Apr 25, 2010
I would also like some of that fantastic hay...would probably make lovely bedding..

Great review, have the game on pre-order anyway.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
didn't think I'd wanna play AC again but...yea I do now that Brotherhood is out lol

Netrigan

Sep 29, 2010
Delock said:
Anyways, I've been replaying the second game lately and remembering why I loved it so much (except for the DLC. There's a reason that got left out. A lot more polish should have been put on that). If this is an improvement on that, I'm definitely going to enjoy it. Hopefully it comes in the mail soon.
I'm not sure I can give any sort of reasonable criticism of the DLC because I bought it while I was heading down the homestretch for the main game (hoping to extend my enjoyment of the game a bit more) only to find out that I *had* to play them before finishing the rest of the game.

But it's more plot complication than actual plot. Leaving it off doesn't affect the game in the slightest... and adding it seems more like plot padding than anything else, but that might just be my annoyance with having my grand finale postponed due to DLC.

Xyliss

Mar 21, 2010
Mine's on pre-order and on it's way to my house as we speak, should be here friday morning and I can't wait. :)

Jon Shannow

Oct 11, 2010
Can we replay memories in this one like the first?.
That was one of the things i hated not being in the second, i went over and over the assassinations in AC1, trying to get the perfect kill.

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
Kilts aren said:
That was one of the things i hated not being in the second, i went over and over the assassinations in AC1, trying to get the perfect kill.
You can! And there's a bonus if you do a mission exactly like Ezio did (Which usually means undetected and taking no damage). You can also get out of the animus and walk about as Desmond when you want to again as well. It sounds like they're taking the good bits from both games then adding a little extra.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
hmm, maybe i can convince a family member to give me the game before Christmas, i did just get soem bad news from the doctor, maybe i can trade that for a new game :p

BlueberryMUNCH

Apr 15, 2010
Wow, awesome o.o
Might get this for Xmas>:] hellyeeaah.

But just wondering, can someone tell me how many stars it was given? Colour-blind ftl:(

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
This has been on my list of Christmas games for ages and if it wasn't for the fact I'm a) Broke and b) re-starting World of Warcraft I'd be picking it up this weekend.

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
lumenadducere said:
What about length? That's the only thing holding me back from picking this up - I'm really not looking for a short game. Is it about the same length as 2 was, or is it shorter?
I read that the story is relatively short, but there is a lot of extra, optional things to do that reward you. Probably like 6 extra hours there. There's also multiplayer, which sounds innovative and worth a try.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
I don't mind the multitasking controls, they just train me to be careful when I am running to avoid the walls I don't want to climb. It is nice of Ubisoft to remember we only have two hands after all.
I am looking forward to the review on the Multiplayer, as I am sure I am not the only one. I still have yet to play AC2 but it is on my next buy list. Marvelous game.

Ghored

Mar 15, 2010
BlueberryMUNCH said:
But just wondering, can someone tell me how many stars it was given? Colour-blind ftl:(

Steve gave it a 5/5, I expected no less from the followup of the game that I can't help but think about every goddang second.

mexicola

Feb 10, 2010
That's all right Steve, I like stabbing Italian guys too you are not alone.

I'd better get down to finishing AC2 sometime soon before I get my hands on this.

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
I think in order to enjoy the Assassins Creed games, you have to be a little creative. For instance, AssCree 1 was straight out boring in the end because of the repetitiveness of the gameplay. You had to make it harder for yourself instead of just running straight at him screaming "ASSASSIN" and shiv the target.

Also, pretty dissapointed in the Cop out they did about not coming up with a new storyline.

Haha, also loved the fact when you talked about the new Renovating feature, you put in some gameplay of an explosion.

"Renovating"

Kurokami

Feb 23, 2009
syltman said:
Wasn't there a multiplayer thing for assassin's creed?
Much like many other reviews, it's possible that it will be split into two different reviews for both the multiplayer and the singleplayer rather than jumbling both into one.

Looking forward to it.

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
If you've a fondness for stabbing Italians, go to Italy. There are millions of them :p

Great review!! You've really made me excited about this!! :D

voetballeeuw

May 3, 2010
I played a bit of the multiplayer today, and it is awesome. I was doubtful if it would work, but the final product is amazing.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Wow I still haven't beaten Assassin's Creed 2....Plus Now I gotta save 60 more Dollar$.....

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!

Damn this awesome game

SensibleCrout

Feb 23, 2010
A review of an Ubisoft game without a single word about the deal-breaking copy protection? Come ON!

I want to play a single player game offline, or on the train or wherever I like. There are even many gamers in the world who pay their internet connection per minute. If Ubisoft does not let me do this, the game has less value and so I consider ACB extremely pricy.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
Any news on when this is dropping for PC? also, will this have any DLC i won't have to pay for because the PC edition will have them built in?

ZeoAssassin

Sep 16, 2009
ahhh..just got done with a 12some hour session and i got to agree...the game is FREAKING AMAZING!!!

combat feels so much more satisfying once you get use to the new MUCH-faster pace, get a big enough number of combo kills and you feel like a freaking god.

i actually feel the desire to DO every single one of the side missions now because they have a purpose in the overall "liberate the city" goal. and there are SOO MANY i still have no idea how much more there are.

at the current moment of playing the new version of the villa investment system seems to be tuned tighter so i won't be able to cover my house in florins at the moment. its pretty much like how the old system was from AC2 except there are 15+ of every shop (new ones as well) spread across the city and you have to find them in order to invest (after taking out enemy Borgia towers that is)

i have only played a single game of multi-player but i had an absolute BLAST in it. such a NEW and refreshing game-mode after being drowned in fps games for a while.

and according to the game, i only have 38% of Ezio's memories done and only about 25% of the city is "freed"

just in case, not a real story spoiler but....
also, did the first "find, use and destroy" Leo's war machine mission (the machine gun one) and HOLY SHIT was that SOOO GODDAMN FUN!!! =D

and finally....crossbow is BEST weapon EVAR

Sampsa

May 8, 2008
From previous trailers I though it was all about multiplayer and was like "Meh." Thanks to this I'm going to give some more money to developer.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Excellent review! pre ordered, should be with me tomorrow (UK)

Jon Shannow

Oct 11, 2010
Danzaivar said:
Kilts aren said:
You can! And there's a bonus if you do a mission exactly like Ezio did (Which usually means undetected and taking no damage). You can also get out of the animus and walk about as Desmond when you want to again as well. It sounds like they're taking the good bits from both games then adding a little extra.
Cheers, this is great. means i won't be forced to start an entire new campaign because i felt i didn't do to well on one of the last assassinations

Xarhs Vrentas

May 26, 2010
Well I think the control thing is only going to be a problem to newcomers. At the end of AC2 I could catch those guys you need to chase in less than 20 seconds and I think it's pretty easy to get used to the controlls, no matter how many things you do with one button

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
I assume the multiplayer component will get a separate review... there is still one, right?

In either case, I can definitely wait on another Assassin's Creed (even with multiplayer). The first was a neat tech demo and the second game added more character and a more intriguing narrative. My main problem with the series is that the story seems to be chugging along ever so slowly, and to the point where I have just lost my interest.

At the rate they're going, they're definitely milking the franchise for everything it is worth - though kudos for adding features, but the story is what makes the gameplay worth playing for me here.

beniki

May 28, 2009
I'm disappointed it's still Renaisance era. Don't get me wrong, I loved it in 2, but I thought that Ezio's job was done. We got what we needed from his memories... why aren't we on to someone new?

Heck, I thought the whole point of 2 was to train up Desmond. I was looking forward to stabbing people in the face in modern times. With weird magicy-sci-fi gadgets. And a hoody. I know there's extra features now, but is this more like an expansion to 2 rather than a sequel to the game? Is the progress of the story worth playing the game, or would I be better off reading about it, and waiting for Assassin's Creed 3?

The Random One

May 29, 2008
So this really is the second half, right? Not, like, the second third? The story ends after this one?

I'm looking forward to going to another new era for the obv obv obv third assassin in the lineage.

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
Distorted Stu said:
Does it expand on the AC2 ending? Or is it just a sort of "look at Ezio's life" game. I want to know more about Adam and Eve etc.
From what I have seen it seems to be a "retaking Rome" story, you won't get much more to the futury storyline but more to the local history, that and you create an army(Ok more of a warband in size but still), thats more than enough reason to buy it ^^.

BlueOnBlue

Jan 29, 2010
Argh! I hate this stupid lack of money! I wish I could buy this game now, I've heard so much praise for it.

tombman888

Jul 12, 2009
This is definitly going to be THE next game i buy, looks like a blast! (And i won't need to really worry about playing AC:2, I've already had its entire plot funneled into my head by my friend)

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
The Robotman said:
Steve you curly turd. Assassin's Creed 2 blew so bad! How could you even tell people to get a sequel to a game on the foregrounds that if they liked the previous disaster they'll LIKE THE NEWEST TITLE?!
Something sounds ridiculous, and it most certainly isn't the fapping noise coming from yonder corridor.
You LOVED Assassin's Creed 2?
You must also love eating stale bread in a dark corner of your bedroom while wearing your girlfriend's lipstick. Spare me the bullpiss and give a real review!

Wow, douche troll is a douche.

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
The Robotman said:
Steve you curly turd. Assassin's Creed 2 blew so bad! How could you even tell people to get a sequel to a game on the foregrounds that if they liked the previous disaster they'll LIKE THE NEWEST TITLE?!
Something sounds ridiculous, and it most certainly isn't the fapping noise coming from yonder corridor.
You must also love eating stale bread in a dark corner of your bedroom while wearing your girlfriend's lipstick. Spare me the bullpiss and give a real review!
Good point.

faspxina

Feb 1, 2010
Steve Butts said:
The Robotman said:
Good point.
xD *claps*

ThisNewGuy

Apr 28, 2009
Yay, Christmas gift confirmed. The review showers the game with praise. I can't wait to play this for myself

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
Alright beat the main storyline and have 81% of the game done so far, I can say this is a fun game even if you're only into the Single Player like myself, doubt I'll do multiplayer until a few of my friends have it and we can do a private match

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Multiplayer is so much fun. It so funny even watching someone else play it.

Like Manhunt
Morph a crowd to look like you, wait for an enemy that after you, they target a NPC next to you, you laugh, they target you, you smokebomb him, stun him only to be assassinated by his teammate that was up on a roof.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Steve Butts said:

Read Full Article
Steve, I have a question for you, do you know the release date of Assassin's Creed Brotherhood for the PC?
BTW the review justified my opinion of the game.

The Rascal King

Aug 13, 2009
I won't like this game if I hated the first two, you say? I'll shall take heed to your words, because it looks exactly like the last two. To the point where the Ubisoft had to give Ezio facial hair to let the players know what game they're playing.

Dragon-Byte

May 21, 2009
If that's YOUR gameplay we're seeing in the credits, i understand why you don't still like the combat.
mashing the counter button makes you suck. with Spear Guys in particular, you still have to time it right.

do it RIGHT, like the game tells you (hint: offensiveness) and Ezio will flow with ease around his targets in a ballet of stabby.

Coop83

Mar 20, 2010
I purchased this the other day (£30 at Sainsburys - bargain, I thought) and lo, my weekend summarily disappeared. They've certainly worked out some kinks of the old one and it seems a much better experience. The graphics are better, the gameplay is smoother, Ezio has more flamboyant methods to kill people and, by the looks of things, they've balanced out the earnings scale (a little).

Now all I need to do is find ways to convince various people to get off the Xbox, so I can get back into 16th century Rome.

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
SensibleCrout said:
A review of an Ubisoft game without a single word about the deal-breaking copy protection? Come ON!

I want to play a single player game offline, or on the train or wherever I like. There are even many gamers in the world who pay their internet connection per minute. If Ubisoft does not let me do this, the game has less value and so I consider ACB extremely pricy.
^This

If the DRM is on this one like the last game, I'll have no part of it.

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
Baldr said:
Multiplayer is so much fun. It so funny even watching someone else play it.

Like Manhunt
Morph a crowd to look like you, wait for an enemy that after you, they target a NPC next to you, you laugh, they target you, you smokebomb him, stun him only to be assassinated by his teammate that was up on a roof.
or those parts, where your guy gets killed, and then your killer gets sniped 2 seconds later, and then his killer gets dropped from above, and so on like a beautiful caterpillar of death :D

Ap0ca1ypse

Jun 12, 2010
I played this game and my view of it. Since it added multiplayer, (which I have barely played because i just finished single player) the single player is shorter than AC2. I still love Brotherhood, but if I was asked to compare it to its predecessor, well, I'd say AC2 was better. Though I love using the Brotherhood, the new gadgets and the improved combat, which I think is a lot more fun if you relentlessly attack the enemies. It's slightly harder than countering the whole time and is a lot more fun. Also Rome was great and I truly loved it. But i can't say it's the best, nor do I bet any AC city will make it to the top of my list. I'm not saying everything else sucks, but I FUCKING LOVED VENICE! Oh and what I played of the new multiplayer, I love. Deffinitely one of the most creative out there.

Ap0ca1ypse

Jun 12, 2010
Oh and I have a quick question. Is anyone getting the same parachute bug? I'll start playing again, but all of my parachutes are gone. It's not a big deal because i'm done with the singleplayer and I am rich in the game. But it's annoying when I try to use a parachute to get somewhere, find out I don't have any, and have to run all the way to a tailor to get more.

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
first one sucked balls ergo ubisoft mouth cleans balls everyday
not getting my cash again

unoleian

Jul 2, 2008
bahumat42 said:
Distorted Stu said:
From what I have seen it seems to be a "retaking Rome" story, you won't get much more to the futury storyline but more to the local history, that and you create an army(Ok more of a warband in size but still), thats more than enough reason to buy it ^^.
First impressions can be misleading. The final act is a meaty reveal, with a jaw-dropping twist. Yes, you'll get your sought-after story, and you ought to make sure you decode subject 16's riddles along the way. I am very excited for the continuation of this saga, now.

Singleplayer alone is worth the price, if you're a fan of the series.

If I can level one complaint at the gameplay, it's awfully strict about requirements to stay in synchronization from time to time, and misleading as well. One mission raged me to no end, where the game kept presenting me a handful of targets, a timer, and an objective to kill them, but the second I so much as knifed one -bam- desynchronized. Again, and again, and again. Took me a while to puzzle out that I wasn't supposed to let anyone else see me kill any of the targets. Game just said to eliminate them quickly...

Another time saw me chasing a target I was required to kill, a message pops up saying to stay in the area, Ezio takes -exactly- one more step while pursuing the -required- target, and -bam- desynchronized.

It's occasionally frustrating, I will say that.

Kazaazz

Dec 23, 2010
The second game stands to be the only game on my 360 that I got every achievement to. I only hope Brotherhood isn't as easy.