Review: Batman: Arkham Asylum

Torque669

Apr 21, 2009
Asehujiko said:
Torque669 said:
Why whats it lying about?

Who cares about Physics about from Saints Row 2 and Red Faction Guerilla fanatics.

And the graphics look rather stellar on my 48 inch HD Telly. And maybe it is copy pasta from a console because it was designed for the console. Im still struggling to understand how the controls will work to be quite honest.
The PC version of the game was delayed for, according to them, to add in support for more detailed graphics and physics. The demo, which was released together with it's console counterparts was supposed to showcase those changes. Well, physics were non-existant to the point where throwing a batarang at an empty coffee mug does nothing and the graphics are more or less on par with the original Gears of War(the console version with the much lower rendering disstance and complete lack of AA and AF).

Despite looking like i'm running it on a PS2, the game has the outrageous demand of a GTX260 AND an 8800+ just for the physics demonstrating that almost nothing has been done when porting it to the PC, including basic things like remembering that it works best by running multiple processing threads on one GPU instead of offloading each to a different one like on a console.
Ahh fair enough ... But thats probably because Eidos are console bummers like Valve are PC bummers. (God I sound like 5 year old critic).

But yes I see where your coming from but honestly the game is very good. I know it doesnt look very much like it but its very interesting with a good plot and good gameplay. I say forgive for its Insolences and let it rise Eidos up. They've never really had any great game so lets give them this one :p

Aug 30, 2009
nanananananananana BAT MAN! lol. nice review too bad you didn't get the ps3 version so you could play as the joker =). but still good review

Aug 30, 2009
Heart of Darkness said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
Heart of Darkness said:
Uh, Funk...I hate to be "this" guy, but:
....a structurally week wall to blow up here...
But good review. If I had an Xbox, I'd consider getting this game.
Nothing. You saw nothing!

It's on PS3, too.
Riiiiiight......"nothing."

I don't have a PS3, either. When I do finally get around to getting one of those consoles, it'll a be a 360.
And my Wii will patiently wait for the release of Pikmin 3...
xbox 360 has always been better than ps3

wrecker77

May 31, 2008
I just ahve one question.... Is the game hard? I played the demo and never died once. Hell, I never eaven got hurt once. Is this the entire game? Anybody know?

Also, Can you continue playing after the story?

nYuknYuknYuk

Jul 12, 2009
wrecker77 said:
I just ahve one question.... Is the game hard? I played the demo and never died once. Hell, I never eaven got hurt once. Is this the entire game? Anybody know?

The hard difficulty is a little challenging. And yes, you can.

wrecker77

May 31, 2008
ianrocks6495 said:
wrecker77 said:

Can you do anything else other than collect riddler trohpys.

Also, you can spoil anything about mr. Zsasz. I played the demo thinking "Time to kick ass! Have a glide kick! Oh....I geuss I win...."

Do you fight him again? Seemed kind of lame how he took a kick to the back and got knocked out. Just tell me If I get to Fight him again.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
wrecker77 said:
ianrocks6495 said:
wrecker77 said:

Also, you can spoil anything about mr. Zsasz. I played the demo thinking "Time to kick ass! Have a glide kick! Oh....I geuss I win...."

Do you fight him again? Seemed kind of lame how he took a kick to the back and got knocked out. Just tell me If I get to Fight him again.
Yep. You do.

wrecker77

May 31, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
wrecker77 said:
ianrocks6495 said:
wrecker77 said:

Yep. You do.
What about the endgame? Can you do anything after the game, other than riddler tropheys. I know you can get paitent interviews and stuff. Not collectables, like can you do side quests or time trials? Stuff like That.

nYuknYuknYuk

Jul 12, 2009
wrecker77 said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
wrecker77 said:
ianrocks6495 said:
wrecker77 said:

Yep. You do.
What about the endgame? Can you do anything after the game, other than riddler tropheys. I know you can get paitent interviews and stuff. Not collectables, like can you do side quests or time trials? Stuff like That.
Err, no. But there is a challenge mode which is like a time trial. BTW, your second fight with Zsasz is equally lame.

wrecker77

May 31, 2008
ianrocks6495 said:
wrecker77 said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
wrecker77 said:
ianrocks6495 said:
wrecker77 said:

Yep. You do.
Shit. First some dude on youtube bilding up my hopes by saying You get to beat up penguin and now this. Meh. I'l still probubly get it. The demo had a blocked off menue that said dlc. Mabye we get to go out of arkahm and into gotham for a new story. Or mabye is challenge rooms. And it probubly will be challenge rooms becaause devs somehow think theat evereyone cares about them. We want More story dammit.

And the second fight is lame? Why are we fighting this little shit again? If I fight him, I want to hurt him, not just knock him off his ass and put him back in a cell.

Err, no. But there is a challenge mode which is like a time trial. BTW, your second fight with Zsasz is equally lame.

annoyinglizardvoice

Apr 29, 2009
Out of curiosity, which villans are actually in the game?
I know that Joker, Harley, Croc, Ivy, Scarecrow, Bane and Zsasz are in it, but is there anyone else?

Whoolpurse

Jul 14, 2008
annoyinglizardvoice said:
Out of curiosity, which villans are actually in the game?
I know that Joker, Harley, Croc, Ivy, Scarecrow, Bane and Zsasz are in it, but is there anyone else?
Scarecrow, Riddler. Then you can find a lot of references. I'm sure there's more, i'm just tired

Kuchinawa212

Apr 23, 2009
Alright that cuts it, I'm going to get this game XD
I loved the demo I played it like 15 times

Whoops sorry for the double post

jthm

Jun 28, 2008
SomeBritishDude said:
God, all I'm hearing is praise for this game. Microsoft had better get that piece of shit 360 back to me quick.

Catchy Slogan said:
The bit at the end of the video just had me laughing so hard. Pure gold.

Also, saw my friend playing on this and at some parts you hear the enemies neck breaking, yet none of them die? Sure, I guess because It's Batman and all that he deosn't kill people, but paralysing them from the neck down is fine?

Awesome game anyway.

Batman is awesome.
Weirdly enough, yeah I think so. He doesn't kill, thats batman's ONLY rule, which seems a little unnerving.
He won't use guns either, under any circumstance (with only two notable exceptions, killing vampires or werewolves or some shit with a silver bullet early in the Detective Comic Days and attempting to kill Dark Sied recently).

I felt the music in the game was a little lackluster given the excellent score composed by Danny Elfman for the 90s movie and cartoon. Otherwise, the game was great.

jthm

Jun 28, 2008
Torque669 said:
Asehujiko said:
Torque669 said:
Why whats it lying about?

Who cares about Physics about from Saints Row 2 and Red Faction Guerilla fanatics.

And the graphics look rather stellar on my 48 inch HD Telly. And maybe it is copy pasta from a console because it was designed for the console. Im still struggling to understand how the controls will work to be quite honest.
The PC version of the game was delayed for, according to them, to add in support for more detailed graphics and physics. The demo, which was released together with it's console counterparts was supposed to showcase those changes. Well, physics were non-existant to the point where throwing a batarang at an empty coffee mug does nothing and the graphics are more or less on par with the original Gears of War(the console version with the much lower rendering disstance and complete lack of AA and AF).

Despite looking like i'm running it on a PS2, the game has the outrageous demand of a GTX260 AND an 8800+ just for the physics demonstrating that almost nothing has been done when porting it to the PC, including basic things like remembering that it works best by running multiple processing threads on one GPU instead of offloading each to a different one like on a console.
Ahh fair enough ... But thats probably because Eidos are console bummers like Valve are PC bummers. (God I sound like 5 year old critic).

But yes I see where your coming from but honestly the game is very good. I know it doesnt look very much like it but its very interesting with a good plot and good gameplay. I say forgive for its Insolences and let it rise Eidos up. They've never really had any great game so lets give them this one :p
I'm glad someone else thought that Eidos has never had a great game before now and that they were due.

Every time I get a game, I always look for their name to make sure I'm not buying an Eidos game. This time, I almost cancelled my preorder, but decided to risk it.

scarab7

Jun 20, 2009
Ok, I have yet to get the game and intended to get the game despite whatever the verdict by John Funk or the Escapist. The review only makes me want to get the game faster.

Anyways, I have one question I'd like to know before I get the game and one question alone, "Is Victor Freeze in the game?" I'd love a simple yes or no.

Fuloqwam

Jul 29, 2009
So, so, sooooo relieved. I was waiting for it, but was afraid it was going to be a generic beat-em-up.