Review: Bayonetta

Dr. Wily III

Jul 27, 2009
Hubilub said:
Dr. Wily III said:
Infernai said:
Random question: What do you think would happen if Bayonnetta did a cross-over game with Devil may cry?
You mean, Dante vs. Nero vs. Vergil vs. Bayonetta?
Nero loses.

He's nothing compared to the others.
Yeah, I know, but I guess he just needs a little more experience, I mean, Dante was panting after the second battle which is kind of a achievment.

Silva

Apr 13, 2009
So it's good. That's something. I was hoping for a better game than DMC4 from the same guy. Previews were making me a little worried that it would be just like it, in all the wrong ways.

Still, I own DMC4 and enjoyed it enough to beat it on Dante Must Die and crawl through Hell and Hell. But, it wasn't as good as DMC3. You'd have to be a graphics nut to think otherwise, because that was the only improvement.

I'll be looking into picking up Bayonetta at some point... except I'll probably not be getting another game until FFXIII comes out, anyway. Such is life.

HuntrRose said:
vivaldiscool said:
Purgatorio
Paradisio
What's with this fascination games have suddenly gotten with the Divine Comedy?
I guess it's the latest fad. Probably go through Origin of the Species next... wait.. they did that already!
It's because the ideas of Hell and Heaven are suitably extreme fodder for games made by Capcom.

Look, a conversation between game developers!

DEVELOPER 1: I just read the Divine Comedy.
DEVELOPER 2: Oh god, Heaven and Hell in one story, plus purgatory? Isn't that a bit... I dunno, extreme?
DEVELOPER 1: Wait, we developed the Devil May Cry games, didn't we?
DEVELOPER 2: OH YEAH. That is such an awesome basis for levels. Let's make it now and add overly sized breasts!
DEVELOPER 1: WIN! *swims in money vault*

Then there's the fact that the Divine Comedy is enough of a bastardisation of the actual mythology it is based on for no one to care if it is bastardised further. It is, after all, a comedy (even if it is in the old, ironic style of the ancient comedies).

silentsentinel

Mar 16, 2008
I'd play this game, but I can't get over her ridiculously proportioned body. I mean, just watch her walking animation.

thewerebuffalo

Mar 25, 2009
I have completed Bayonetta and her are my thoughts.

the story sucked, some of the characters were annoying, techniques that aren't defensive don't really add anything to the gameplay, Music could get annoying, Hard mode is a ***** and QTE events are poorly placed(sorry for being a tool).

HOWEVER

The Gameplay is amazingly fun, bayonetta is hilarious as long as you brush off her sexual innuendos as humor and over the top rather than being offended or taking them seriously. the weapons are unique and fun, Hard mode requires serious skill, the style is amazing the collection involved is fun, and you have a blast running around slamming angels and dodging fireballs.

Very Unique, Very Fun, Very Stylish, Fun of challenge and gore and titties, instead of focusing on them though, merely treat them as some of platinum games trademark over-the-top-ness. One of the best action games I've played. Ever.

though the bosses were pretty easy by comparison

Rayansaki

May 5, 2009
cainx10a said:
May I add, I would have really wanted to see a review of Bayonetta by Susan Arendt: it just seems most (if not, all) of opposite-sex journalists have been pretty negative about the game for obvious reasons.
I think she would like it, the combat and pace are as close to perfection as it gets, and extremely rewarding. The eye candy is there, but it has solid bases, doesn't just rely on it to sell.

Dommyboy

Jul 20, 2008
If there is a PC version, it may just be completely looked over like the World Tour PC port. I didn't even know World Tour was out on PC until yesterday.

Cind

Aug 17, 2009
*happy sigh* fly me to the moon :3 good memories :)

anyways OT...

Hadn't heard of this game before, but might give it a lookskies now. Looks.... interesting.

Ironsouled

Nov 5, 2009
BOught it yesterday.... Loving the combat... stuck in the land of What the Heck is going on for the story. I don't mind the mostly lacking story when I'm not in the mood for something engrossing... but this game is not going to get me stuck onto my PS3.

Rating for me 6.4 outta 10. better than average... but not by too much.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
So, what, is this tongue in cheek? Is this supposed to be 'ironically' sexy and violent? Because there's no way it could be good if those things are played straight. Unless they are played so straight they wrap around and become silly again. Or the gameplay is a god-given gift from the heavens.

Fortunately, I think my rental doesn't have it, thus sparing me the pain of having to choose.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
-Zen- said:
I must get this game. Maybe not now, maybe not next week, but eventually it will be mine. I wasn't expecting the gameplay to be so fantastic, and quite frankly, I need a little something like this to fill the void of third-person action games in my 360 collection.
I suspect it has something to do with the fact that different development teams worked on the games.

I have to say that I was honestly as cynical about this game as one could possibly be. I don't generally LIKE games of this style and when a game is blatently trying to manipulate my baser instincts to wring some cash out of me I tend to look the other way. Most of the review industry seemed to agree with me for a time, and then, much to my surprise, people said it was incredible. With nothing better to play for the moment I picked it up and found the first game of it's type that I actually enjoyed. The lewdness and ultra-violence didn't detract as I suspected they would; rather they seemed perfectly fitting and reasonable considering how unlikely every single thing about the game was.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
The Random One said:
So, what, is this tongue in cheek? Is this supposed to be 'ironically' sexy and violent?
It's not so much tongue in cheek as sticking it's tongue out and making raspberry noises at Serious Business types.

Vimbert

Aug 15, 2009
Does anyone else think Witch Time sounds a LOT like the dodging maneuver in No More Heroes?

lvl9000_woot

Oct 30, 2009
Got it. Beat it. Loved (most of) it.

Some problems I had with the game:

- repetitive 'boss' fights.
- music didn't seem to fit the action.
- Having to 'babysit' (I really hate doing that)
- The story was slighty hard to follow
- Camera made it hard to see where I was going

All that aside, I can't wait to replay on the other difficulties.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Finally got the game; the gameplay is better than I expected, and much more enjoyable than DMC 3 + 4 combined, but I'm quite disappointed with the cut-scenes, it's always as if they ran out of money and decided to use stills and silly looking images to tell the story.

Oh, and the music is so much better than DMC 4.

TheEarlOfGrey

Feb 5, 2010
I like Bayonetta, but unfortunately a co-worker on my uni course ruined so much for me both in terms of story, battles and unlocks. I already hear the director wants to do a Bayonetta 2, so Bayonetta might be the start of a new game franchise, as long as they can find new reasons for Bayonetta to get naked every battle.

stef1987

Jan 11, 2011
wait, did he say you travel through the 3 realms ?

cause that's not true, unless I'm mistaken (I'm not),
cause you never go into inferno.