Review: Black Eye Peas - E.N.D.

PostOmnis

Jul 1, 2009
So, i've heard a number of the songs from their past work. It's kinda hard not to seeing as how they were played on the radio all the time. The album is titled E.N.D. which to me means a few things. Either it's the last album of B.E.P. or they knew people wouldn't remember "The Energy Never Dies." La-di-da.
I'll put it to you like this. Remember when I said in my Lady GaGa review that her style is NOT Techno. Neither is B.E.P.'s It's a high end Hip Hop with extra Thump to make into a dance song. Tons of electronic synths and bass are in this album. And only once in a great while I can only remember two songs in particular that were slow, emotional songs. Fergie is the first to give us an emotional Ooh, to get us into the grove of the song.

I can't really say this album is the BEST B.E.P. album to date. Because I have no basis. The only thing I can go on are past singles. Which are motivational, political, and youthful. The Energy Never Dies, is exactly what the album is about. In the very beginning of the album a voice speaks and talks about how Energy never died, it's always changing and is never created. The album sticks with this thesis. Every song has a form of energy to it. Talk about a way to make science and music work together. ALSO! One important thing. Will.i.Am (the producer) does a really good job at sticking with this theme.
So here's a new rule. To all you other artist out there who happen to read this. If you want to please someone who listened to "Jefferson Airplane" and "Def Leppard." There's a kind of formula to a perfect album. And it never fails!

First and foremost the opening song has to be epic, and strong. B.E.P. takes this and runs with it for the entire album!
Second song has to complement the first song. Duh. When it comes to the E.N.D. album, Will.i.Am does exactly what the thesis of the album talks about. They never allow the songs to just end. They meld or fade into each other.
Third song can be optional but typically a slow ballad or instrumental. Once again, take Fergie's voice on the third song. And it takes us into a soulful and very different style of ENERGY. It's Energy of a different kind. But Ya'know? Creativity is def. found in this album.
Okay, after these three points the album is set. And thus the artists is then free to expand on whatever they want. The Black Eye Peas' does this and rolls with the idea of the past songs and never let go. And that's why this specific album should be in the same club as Delerium, Def Leppard, Cher, and Metallica.
BTW, I'm not saying all the albums of the world need to be like this. But for you POP people, Rock and Rollers, etc. Typical people who love to listen to "Stupid Music." Well... You look at your CD collection and tell me you don't hear a pattern with the albums. Hey, there may be some kind of relation via: Producer, Mixer, etc. etc.
In any case. End the album with a bang! The common people think the last song is the one which should be the blast. The same thing goes for the first song. You MUST draw the listener in and you must allow to leave closure or allow the story to end in some way. Yet, like some artist like Enigma, relate your albums together and make each one seem like a chapter to a larger story.

Regards,
P.O.

Lycaeus_Wrex

Jan 19, 2009
I'm confused. You start off by sayng you'll judge the work of the B.E.P.s yet....you don't really talk about any of their songs other than they start off as ' high end Hip Hop with extra Thump to make into a dance song'.

Almost the entirety of the second half of your review is dedicated to telling people as to the best way to compose and release a record...

Are you reviewing E.N.D., or the music industry in general?

L. Wrex

PostOmnis

Jul 1, 2009
Sorry about that. IDK why this happened. But my Note on my Mac didn't copy all the information onto the forum post. :p So goes my luck. Anyway, I hope the update helps with what I was meaning to say. Because it is the review which I did mean to publish.

Once again, sorry about that. Technical difficulty. LOL!

Regards,
P.O.

PostOmnis

Jul 1, 2009
Lycaeus_Wrex said:
I'm confused. You start off by sayng you'll judge the work of the B.E.P.s yet....you don't really talk about any of their songs other than they start off as ' high end Hip Hop with extra Thump to make into a dance song'.

Almost the entirety of the second half of your review is dedicated to telling people as to the best way to compose and release a record...

Are you reviewing E.N.D., or the music industry in general?

L. Wrex
Do I really need to review ever song? I'll put it to you like this... Every song is radio Friendly. I'm not going into details. Because B.E.P. is kinda like the PetShop Boys. They are the type of band that sets a par for all the other artist. I feel like the B.E.P.'s are ahead of their time. Hence: "I'm so 3000 and 8, You're so 2000 and Late."

I hope this helps.

Regards,
P.O.