Review: Brainpipe: A Plunge to Unhumanity

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
xmetatr0nx said:
Someone mentioned dropping acid would probably be cheaper, and youre right its street value is about 5-10 dollars a tab, same with extasy...
MaxTheReaper said:
But the real question is this: Is an acid trip going to be any cheaper than $15?
Acid is cheaper, but completely different. Why do people seem to think acid is just trippy colours?

I could see this as a fun game I would play (and I hate to use this word) casually. Its not something I would spend hours and hours on, but its something I could pick up when I'm waiting for my buddy to get to my house and have a good time with. I love the sound design, even on my shitty laptop speakers I can tell its stellar. The visual design is a but cliche for the whole "trippy brain colours" thing, but I like the idea of the iris/pupil reticle. It makes me feel like the game is just an eye looking inside its own head.

raemiel

Jun 8, 2008
A friend of a friend told me yesterday that this game is AWESOME when you're tripping. The massive slowdown of time that happens, along with the mixing up of your senses and crazy visuals and sounds all add up to a great experience.

It's especially great (apparently) if you turn off the game's background music (but keep the sounds everything makes) and listen to dubstep while playing.

KingPiccolOwned

Jan 12, 2009
More Fun To Compute said:
Just came here to say that this game has a Freudian interpretation that is more about returning to the womb than taking LSD.
What does that MEEAAN?!?! I know I come of as fairly brash there but seriously, everyone keeps going on about things in video games saying "Oh well, now this contains many Freudian influences.", and all I can think is "What in the hell are you talking about?" This will probably make me sound like something of an idiot, since a lot of people here seem to be in on this, but I don't know who that man is, what he did, or why it is important, and I would really like someone to explain to me how being in a giant friggin' worm in which everything is trying to kill you, has anything to do with being a fetus, let alone flying a giant eyball through the world of Psychonauts.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
KingPiccolOwned said:
What does that MEEAAN?!?! I know I come of as fairly brash there but seriously, everyone keeps going on about things in video games saying "Oh well, now this contains many Freudian influences.", and all I can think is "What in the hell are you talking about?" This will probably make me sound like something of an idiot, since a lot of people here seem to be in on this, but I don't know who that man is, what he did, or why it is important, and I would really like someone to explain to me how being in a giant friggin' worm in which everything is trying to kill you, has anything to do with being a fetus, let alone flying a giant eyball through the world of Psychonauts.
Sigmud Freud was a very well known and influential psychologist. Not only was he influential but when some things seem to be symbolic of something else there are Freudian interpretations of what they mean. Travelling through a tunnel is symbolism that has a well known Freudian explanation.

KingPiccolOwned

Jan 12, 2009
More Fun To Compute said:
KingPiccolOwned said:
Sigmud Freud was a very well known and influential psychologist. Not only was he influential but when some things seem to be symbolic of something else there are Freudian interpretations of what they mean. Travelling through a tunnel is symbolism that has a well known Freudian explanation.
Personally I call that reading too much into things, however since that ddin't really explain much about the teachings of Sigmund Freud, tell me how the eyeball choo-choo goin' trough de spakly tunnel means smart things (intentionally stupid sounding).

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
KingPiccolOwned said:
Personally I call that reading too much into things, however since that ddin't really explain much about the teachings of Sigmund Freud, tell me how the eyeball choo-choo goin' trough de spakly tunnel means smart things (intentionally stupid sounding).
There are far better places to learn about Freud on the internet than from me so I just gave you enough to look for more if you are interested.

This sort of thing also goes back to the ending sequence of the motion picture 2001: A Space Odyssey. You could also watch that if you are really interested in what my post meant.

solsticesins

Aug 6, 2009
This game is... mesmerizing. If you have a nice set of head phones and a great display setup... well, lets just say I didn't realize 4 hours had passed until I felt my stomach protest... kinda straining on the eyes though. It's pretty doable at lower difficulty settings... but once you ramp it up to 5 or 6 it becomes relatively challenging... I ramped it up to 10 just to see how it plays out, I think if I were epileptic I would have had a seizure within 3 seconds.