Review: Burn Zombie Burn!

sunami88

Jun 23, 2008
Wow, that looks painfully lame (I'll admit, I watched the review supplement, didn't read the review proper). Great supplement, though.

Antiparticle

Dec 8, 2008
Reminds me of Crimsonland [http://www.crimsonland.com/]. That game was actually pretty fun. Too bad this game didn't work out, everything is better with zombies.

renegade826

Feb 26, 2009
Hmm, another review that misses the point. PSN and XBLA games are cheap, if you go into them expecting some sort of revolutionary gameplay, think again. Very rarely are they any thing more than mindless fun. BZB is a wicked game with games, and if you thought it would be more than an arcade survival game, then you are a little bit silly.

Awesome game, go watch the IGN review.... i would give this a 90/100 great fun!

Zombie Aaron

Mar 31, 2009
Making a game inexpensive does not mean that gameplay or innovation has to suffer. Look at Braid for XBLA, it's being consistently reviewed as one of the most original games of all time. And let's not forget Worms which costs like 6 dollars and is an epically made classic.

I think maybe the review was expecting too much, but the game does look rather monotonous and anti-climactic. Had this game been a breakthrough, I probably would have purchased a PS3 in addition to my 360 just to play it; fortunately that won't be necessary.

Taerdin

Nov 7, 2006
That game actually reminded me a lot of this flash game I played [http://www.kongregate.com/games/SeanCooper/boxhead-the-zombie-wars/?referrer=Taerdin36] minus the whole bonus for fire bit you thought was stupid.

That said, both games would hardly be worth spending actual money on... as a flash game they would pass as a little distraction or timewaster

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
That game looks like good old survival fun. Most fun will definetly be had fighting coop against the hordes. It follows in the style of Smash TV and Boxhead: The Rooms, looks great I think.

The fire mechanic make a lot of sense: You risk getting hurt for the reward of better weapons and more points. What's so hard to understand about that? The only objective in the game is to get more points and stay alive longer, so lighting them on fire seems to be a good option.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Antiparticle said:
Reminds me of Crimsonland [http://www.crimsonland.com/]. That game was actually pretty fun. Too bad this game didn't work out, everything is better with zombies.
Crimsonland HAD zombies. The isometric graphics made me think more of Alien Shooter in survival mode but the effective difference is pretty low.

What's so strange about more points for reckless behaviour? That's normal. The point is to show just how hard you can push yourself before breaking. Why do you think bullet hell shmups have a graze counter? To reward more dangerous play. If you want to be in a pure survival mindset why do you care about your score at all? Scores are about how much awesome you did. If you don't want to do awesome, well, don't care about the score.

Nikral

Sep 10, 2008
I bought this, and I really don't get how it's bad at all. I've been having fun playing single player and it's one of those few games that my girlfriend can play with me without getting frustrated with.

Oh and I also own L4D and Geometry Wars and I've enjoyed it more than Geometry Wars, but not as much as L4D.

Mukiwa

Sep 4, 2008
I really can't help but feel that the reviewer has missed the point here rather spectacularly. Personally I find the whole risk/reward dynamic works out quite well, plus it can be rather hilarious when you occasionally push it a bit too far and screw yourself over due to being cornered by a massive flaming horde, desperately trying to keep them at bay with a cricket bat.
And why does everything need to make sense? Do we really need an elaborate backstory in order to enjoy some zombie fun? Even if it is a tad simplistic, come on give it a break it's just a PSN title.
My advice, give it a go! The co-op action is quite a laugh and this is a great time killer game when you can't be bothered to play something a bit more complex.

0olong

Apr 1, 2009
The name of the game is Burn Zombie Burn!, so there should be some part of the game involving... what?? wait for it... Burning Zombies! The more zombies you kill that are ON FIRE, the higher your score multiplier gets. If you look at the ridiculously high scores you need to get bronze, silver, and gold medals (in-game not trophies) you would realize that burning is better. Of course burning them makes them more aggressive... it would be easy as hell if they just went at normal stupid zombie speed. You drop explosives in the game, which you upgrade from standard 5 second TNT to proximity bombs and finally to remote detonator bombs. This game pays homage to every stupid mindless zombie movie out there, Ash spoke about chewing bublegum and killing zombies long before Duke did. The lawnmower weapon is a loving tribute to the movie Dead Alive, and who the hell wouldn't mind hitting a zombie with a bat (or a cricket bat). The zombies are not simply geometric shapes that float at you, you have a variety of different types that will shamble, charge, explode, or (urgh) dance towards you... yes even faster if in flames.

Making it a simple Dual Stick shooter would take away from the game in my opinion. It would pile it in with all the others and take away an essential level of difficulty. Granted the Auto Aim makes it easy at times, it isn't always helpful when you are surrounded.

He is right about one thing... It isn't Left 4 Dead. It isn't a FPS, it's a top down mindless time wasting shooter in the tradition of games like Smash TV, Cash, Guns, Chaos!, Blast Factor, and Geometry Wars.

Since the recommendation was to go and play on your 360, I find the review flawed and biased... The only relationship to L4D is the fact that you have guns and zombies, otherwise it's undead apples vs undead oranges.

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
0olong said:
The name of the game is Burn Zombie Burn!, so there should be some part of the game involving... what?? wait for it... Burning Zombies! The more zombies you kill that are ON FIRE, the higher your score multiplier gets. If you look at the ridiculously high scores you need to get bronze, silver, and gold medals (in-game not trophies) you would realize that burning is better. Of course burning them makes them more aggressive... it would be easy as hell if they just went at normal stupid zombie speed. You drop explosives in the game, which you upgrade from standard 5 second TNT to proximity bombs and finally to remote detonator bombs. This game pays homage to every stupid mindless zombie movie out there, Ash spoke about chewing bublegum and killing zombies long before Duke did. The lawnmower weapon is a loving tribute to the movie Dead Alive, and who the hell wouldn't mind hitting a zombie with a bat (or a cricket bat). The zombies are not simply geometric shapes that float at you, you have a variety of different types that will shamble, charge, explode, or (urgh) dance towards you... yes even faster if in flames.

Making it a simple Dual Stick shooter would take away from the game in my opinion. It would pile it in with all the others and take away an essential level of difficulty. Granted the Auto Aim makes it easy at times, it isn't always helpful when you are surrounded.

He is right about one thing... It isn't Left 4 Dead. It isn't a FPS, it's a top down mindless time wasting shooter in the tradition of games like Smash TV, Cash, Guns, Chaos!, Blast Factor, and Geometry Wars.

Since the recommendation was to go and play on your 360, I find the review flawed and biased... The only relationship to L4D is the fact that you have guns and zombies, otherwise it's undead apples vs undead oranges.
I agree - it's a good name. That might be the best thing about the game, actually, and it wouldn't surprise me if the name existed before the gameplay was ever conceived.

My main problem with the game is that they've co-opted the zombie theme more for marketing purposes than for gameplay, and it simply doesn't work. Why, for example, would non-flaming zombies be afraid of fire while flaming zombies are emboldened by it? Strip away the zombie skin and it's an interesting gameplay concept - unfortunately, it just feels half-baked in the context they've place it.

For $10, I feel there are better top-down, mindless, time-wasting shooters out there.

0olong

Apr 1, 2009
If they're already on fire what do they have to be afraid of, and wouldn't you run if you were on fire? All zombies hate fire! That's been a staple since Frankenstein was created...

Zombies are the theme to run with these days they added it to CODWaW, and for $10 I don't see the problem. It would be more than $10 if this were all chalked up to marketing. This is also the first mindless top-down time-wasters I have seen solely based on zombies... feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

I can see your argument on this but just cannot agree with it.

domicius

Apr 2, 2008
The dual stick control mechanism is not copyrighted. Heck, Robotron used it first, in any case. Does nobody know their game history any more? Young whipper-snappers. When I was young, we had a joystick with one stick and one button, and we liked it.

We died a lot in Robotron, though.

Brett Alex

Jul 22, 2008
0olong said:
That's been a staple since Frankenstein was created...
... You... you've never read Frankenstein, have you?

On Topic:
It doesn't look to bad, but from what I see of it here, any mindless addictve flash game would keep me just as entertained. Plus I'd save $10.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
0olong said:
The name of the game is Burn Zombie Burn!, so there should be some part of the game involving... what?? wait for it... Burning Zombies! The more zombies you kill that are ON FIRE, the higher your score multiplier gets.
Killing zombies that are on fire lowers your multiplier. So ideally you are running around shooting zombies that are not on fire while having a big horde chasing you around. Only turning around to clear them out if they threaten to overrun you.

0olong

Apr 1, 2009
Killing zombies on fire RAISES your multiplier. Play the game or read before you say anything.

"There's an added element of risk and reward at the games heart burning zombies with explosives earns a greater score multiplier, but a zombie on fire is faster and more dangerous. But that's just common sense."

-IGN

"Doublesix has today announced a new upcoming PSN game called Burn Zombie Burn. Available in early Q1 2009, Burn Zombie Burn is a cartoony arcade shooter which sees you, Bruce, fighting off the undead masses. The emphasis seems to be placed on building up a high score (as all arcade games should). Multipliers are achieved for setting zombies on fire, but doing so also makes them run faster."

-Joystiq [Playstation]

"To get technical, Burn Zombie Burn is a Geometry Wars-like arena shooter (or Smash TV or Robotron-like arena shooter, depending on what year you were born and whether you've been educated in the classics). You're assaulted by craploads of things that will try to kill you while moving in different patterns, and your success is entirely predicated by how well you can maneuver around them, group them up, and blow them away with the right weapon. There's actually a bit more cleverness to it than the usual arena shooter. With a score multiplier based on how many zombies you've set on fire (and thereby made more dangerous), managing the burning crowd becomes something almost like farming, except with shotguns. And it's a bit more engaging to strategize over weapons, powerups, explosives placement, and the utilization of weird gadgets like a gun that lets you suck out a zombie's brain and launch it to draw the rest away from you. It can get pretty screwy, but the game does a good job of easing you into its complexity through its level progression and challenge modes."

-1Up.com

"Layers of strategy: The map layouts, the modes and the various weapons all combine to add an element of strategy to Burn Zombie Burn that I wasn't expecting. For example, you get a score multiplier for each zombie that's on fire, but they die when on fire for longer than six seconds. Ergo, to get the highest score, you wanna torch 'em, run to a wide open space and then blow them all up at once. But! If you're playing Defend Daisy mode (where your girlfriend is hanging out in a Cadillac mid-level), you can't blow them up if they're too close to Daisy, because she'll take damage. So you've got to work with your weapons (like the brain gun) to lure them away, set them on fire and then blow them up. Word of caution watch out for choke points where fast-moving ballerina zombies can box you in."

-Kotaku

"Shooting zombies and earning points, which is key to unlocking later levels and bonuses, is fun and challenging thanks to the scoring system. Shooting zombies earns you a modest number of points, but to really rack up the points you need to get a high modifier going by setting fire to lots of zombies simultaneously. The downside of setting zombies on fire, though, is that while they'll die roughly 30 seconds after being lit, burning zombies are faster than normal and can pose a big problem in mobs. To make matters more complicated, garden-variety zombies aren't the only enemies in the game. Doublesix has tossed in eight different zombie types for you to contend with that run the gamut from the expected slow-moving reanimated corpses to explosive zombies, dancing zombies, and the dreaded super zombies, to name just a few."

-Gamespot.com

Obviously you're wrong, I don't mean to sound rude, but you are.

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
You know, I enjoyed the game somewhat but what's going to keep me coming back is the soundtrack. Really dug it, especially the theremin. You can't go wrong with a theremin.