Review: Castlevania: Harmony of Despair

Mass B

Mar 2, 2010
It's really too bad, i would have liked to play as some of the Belmonts, like Richter, Simon, Juste, and Trevor

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
I notice a LOT of sprite reuse from the DS games. That's not so bad, but they've recycled the bosses and their behaviours too. If you've played Symphony of the Night, Dawn of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin and Order of Ecclesia, then it looks like everything will be familiar, including the characters...

This certainly isn't "old-fashioned" Castlevania. This is post-Symphony Castlevania, multiplayer, recycling everything from the four games above. Not that that's such a bad thing, but... ugh... timer...

I would most likely purchase it if I had an Xbox 360 readily available.

RejjeN

Aug 12, 2009
BobisOnlyBob said:
I would most likely purchase it if I had an Xbox 360 readily available.
Ditto. These XBL things almost make me regret I didn't buy a 360 :/

Metalgamer81

Dec 28, 2008
The game looks pretty sweet to me. But "cock rock soundtrack?" Really? I've never heard anyone singing about going to L.A. strip clubs in a Castlevania game. If by "cock rock" you meant "symphonic rock" you'd be more spot-on, then we might want to discuss your understanding of the word "cock."

Newblisk

Mar 26, 2009
castlevania HoD is an acquired taste for sure. but honestly if you're a fan of castlevania there's no doubt you'll enjoy this game. for those being put off by the time limit you need to understand the role the time limit is actually playing.

The time limit isn't there to make you hurry as 20 minutes should be the most you would spend on any chapter regardless of taking your sweet time. the time limit is there for balance issues concerning multiplayer. when a character dies they can be revived no problem, but should they die as a skeleton 3 minutes will be shaved from the timer making for many failed runs due to people continuing to die over and over.

As for the shortcuts designed for multiplayer they're ways to pass them on your own if you take the time to learn the game. such as the fire wall where susan was trapped, the hercules ring or tough ring will let you walk right through the fire. figuring out these neat little tricks make up a lot of the enjoyment to be had with this game.

Overall the appeal of this game would be 1. castlevania fans 2. speed runners 3. grinders, and 4. completionists or for those who like 100%. so if you're anyone of those 4 things you'll enjoy this game.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Newblisk said:
castlevania HoD is an acquired taste for sure. but honestly if you're a fan of castlevania there's no doubt you'll enjoy this game. for those being put off by the time limit you need to understand the role the time limit is actually playing.

The time limit isn't there to make you hurry as 20 minutes should be the most you would spend on any chapter regardless of taking your sweet time. the time limit is there for balance issues concerning multiplayer. when a character dies they can be revived no problem, but should they die as a skeleton 3 minutes will be shaved from the timer making for many failed runs due to people continuing to die over and over.

As for the shortcuts designed for multiplayer they're ways to pass them on your own if you take the time to learn the game. such as the fire wall where susan was trapped, the hercules ring or tough ring will let you walk right through the fire. figuring out these neat little tricks make up a lot of the enjoyment to be had with this game.

Overall the appeal of this game would be 1. castlevania fans 2. speed runners 3. grinders, and 4. completionists or for those who like 100%. so if you're anyone of those 4 things you'll enjoy this game.
I'm not going to disagree with that, but if you just want to dick around with friends online, get something that doesn't have time limits. Of course, with the right strategy or character, some of the bosses don't really matter.