Review: Civilization V

blalien

Jul 3, 2009
Lucas_90 said:
blalien said:
My biggest problem with Civ4 was that there were a million different combat units and I didn't really care whether one of them has a 1% damage bonus against enemies who wear blue uniforms or whatever. Has this been alleviated at all in Civ5? They really should just have one light, one heavy, and one ranged per era.
Mmm, I strongly disagree. As a Civ veteran, this would be simply devestating to the game. A game with the title 'Civilization' isn't supposed to be a simple paper-scissors-rock affair, and it's sheer complexity is one of the things that Civ lovers adore about the game. I suggest however that if you are interested in a simpler version of Civ, you invest in 'Civilization Revolution', on the Xbox360. PC hardcore Civ gamers thought it was a disgrace, but it might actually appeal to you, and if you're happy with it, then good on ya :)
I'll probably just wait for the price drop. I definitely played enough Civ4 to justify the $15 price tag on Steam.

hyrulegaybar

Oct 6, 2009
ShadowKirby said:
Too bad it's not out for Mac yet :( (and hopefully will be)
Oh well, I started playing Minecraft yesterday, that should scratch that "5 more minutes" hitch till I can get Civ 5.
Yeah, I'm pretty pissed about that myself. Nice, Sid, can't do a dual release like the Blizzard folks?

War-hamster

Apr 5, 2010
It doesn't look more demanding than civ IV. Why so high system requirements?:( Won't be getting this any time soon, but as soon as I get a new laptop...

0over0

Dec 30, 2006
Good review. I was going to wait until later when more solid info was available, but--dammit!--now you've gone and made me buy it.

Chamale

Sep 9, 2009
Waiting for a Steam sale. Sadly, I can't afford to buy all of the great games coming out in the next month. The reason I'm not buying it sooner is that I'll be too busy in the next while to get drawn into 10-hour games of Civ.

At PAX, I made an appointment to see the game in a sealed room full of people. Within a minute, it was the first time I'd ever heard 30 people gasp simultaneously, and then we just sat in awe for the rest of the presentation.

Shawn112

Aug 4, 2010
Not going to buy the game as it is obvious that half the civs are being witheld for down loadable ripoff.

I'll wait a year or 2 until all the 'rape packs' that were done 6 months ago are sold as an ass fucking of the year addition.

You support this shitty business model, you get more of it.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
That looks really fun!

My only experience with Civ has been about 30 minutes with a friend about 10 years ago (and I don't even know which one that was), but I still really want it...

Dys

Sep 10, 2008
For $80au I think I'll sit this one out...because it's steam locked and I can't even properly import it :\ I'll consider it when it's priced a little more reasonably.

jabering

Sep 20, 2010
As of right now, from what i understand, there will be no hot seat at release date? is this a money grab or just laziness. Seeing how i am the exact opposite of an expert on computer game programing, to me it seems easy to add a hot seat option. maybe i am wrong, maybe not. is there anyone else who lost interest in this game when they found that out? me and several of my friends still play civ 4 hot seat. at least every other weekend. internet play is to disconnected, i do realize that most if not all games coming out lately are for internet play only, but i don't like internet play. you are still sitting in a room by yourself playing a game...alone. it seems sad to me frankly. my first experience playing civ was hot seat, sitting around with a bunch of friends, pizza, and almost a week without sleep. without hot seat this game will be so much less then it could have been. i really hope i am wrong. i have pre paid for the game quite some time ago, so i am stuck with it, but me and my friends will be playing civ 4 this weekend.(unless i am wrong and there is hot seat. I really hope i am)

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Tomorrow morning (on this side of the world) is the big day, so start calling in sick and cancel all your dates...
This may take longer than a few weeks...

Strixandstones

Sep 20, 2010
jabering said:
As of right now, from what i understand, there will be no hot seat at release date?(unless i am wrong and there is hot seat. I really hope i am)
No hotseat? Not good.

Still, all my Civ-capable friends have returned to university so it won't directly affect me 'til Christmas. I hope this isn't another example of the gaming industry forcing seclusion on gamers; it may be a lifestyle choice for some, but there is nothing better than drunken competitive computer gaming. Except drunken Risk in a dark, smoke hazed room. In full 19th century regalia

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Well, I think that a Civ review would be a lot more informative if it was done by somebody who's never played Civ before. Already having a firm grasp on it, makes it turn into more of a gush fest than a proper review.

ZephrC

Free Cascadia!
Mar 9, 2010
Well, it's official. I just spent slightly over $900 on this game.

Damn you Sid Meier! I was all set to leave PC gaming behind me, but noooooooo, you had to go and make my favorite game even better. Now I'm going to be spending all my paychecks on Steam for the next six months... starting as soon as I can force myself to put this game down, that is.

jabering

Sep 20, 2010
i have to admit that i am surprised that only one person cares that hot seat seems to have been omitted. maybe its only a very small number of people that like the hot seat option. i am at work now, when i get home my copy of civ 5 awaits me. with luck i was totally misinformed and there is hot seat.

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
This game is ready for download if you have Steam (and if you can get into the pipeline of everyone downloading it at the same time).

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
Didn't get it today, I was hoping that th Steam live date in England would be the American release date. Alas, I was wrong.