Review claims that you never miss in Dragon Age...Uh mainstream media where are you?

Kaanyr Vhok

Mar 8, 2011
That cant be true. I did notice that I never missed in the demo but I dismissed it figuring that you were really high level during that scene.
Here is the review

http://rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=224

The obsolete ?to hit chance? mechanic is gone. In your grandpa's RPGs, unsuccessful attacks missed their target. In Dragon Age 2 they merely cause less damage (glancing blows). Your primary stat (one for each class; might as well make the system even more ?welcoming? and call it DAMAGE!!!) determines your base damage and your chance to do extra damage. Hovering your cursor over your attack rating displays a breakdown, for example 85% vs normal enemy, 70% vs enemy lieutenant, 55% vs enemy boss. What does it mean for you? A system where you always hit is an HP game, so you?ll be hitting the ?bosses? aka HP behemoths for a very, very long time.
Tell me this is not true.
I have read a few DA 2 reviews yet nothing in the mainstream media has mentioned it? I mean what the gfsalkfgjask;lf vdsa;lfdlafomdvfl;fmasl;k f, fasdmkfk;j
Huh?

So nobody had a problem with this? If this is true the game is an even bigger joke than I suspected from the demo.

barbzilla

He who speaks words from mouth!
Dec 6, 2010
I can vouch for bosses being battles of attrition, as far as never missing... I'm really not sure. I think things can be blocked or dodged, but as far as missing no. As many issues as there is with the game though, I still feel it is worth playing. I can't however equate its value to its price.

T0MCAT

Nov 15, 2010
Well if your weapon connects with what your hitting it hits but you can move away or use certain moves to properly and realistically dodge so its not determined by calculating numbers.

McNinja

Sep 21, 2008
I nearly broke my controller because I "missed" a f**king huge Dragon in DA: O. I hate the "miss" calculations because the animation doesn't "miss," but the game does. And in real life, you NEVER miss your target with a sword, unless they parry/dodge/block the strike.

Any swordsman who completely misses their target when it is being attacked by 2 other people is a freaking retard.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
McNinja said:
I nearly broke my controller because I "missed" a f**king huge Dragon in DA: O. I hate the "miss" calculations because the animation doesn't "miss," but the game does. And in real life, you NEVER miss your target with a sword, unless they parry/dodge/block the strike.
Definitely one of the things I love about the so-called action "RPGs" as opposed to the point-and-clickers.

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
Is there really that much of a difference between sometimes doing no damage and sometimes doing minuscule damage? I don't think so.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
What a confusing text. It's pretty simple, spells and talents cannot miss while auto-attacks have a hitchance based on your attack score. Near the end of the game that does go to 100%.

Rayne870

Nov 28, 2010
meh, missing was stupid anyway. It really only belongs in games where you have no control over aim, like turn based games where you pick an attack, pick a target and then numbers are crunched. It doesn't really belong in games that you have real time control over the attack. The only reason you should miss in games like DA and Fallout3 are user error.

Also people complaining about hitting/missing in games should really be forced to play a Combat Rogue in WoW and raid with it. Like really the boss I'm attacking is MASSIVE and I miss?

Zechnophobe

Feb 4, 2010
Kaanyr Vhok said:
That cant be true. I did notice that I never missed in the demo but I dismissed it figuring that you were really high level during that scene.
Here is the review

The obsolete ?to hit chance? mechanic is gone. In your grandpa's RPGs, unsuccessful attacks missed their target. In Dragon Age 2 they merely cause less damage (glancing blows). Your primary stat (one for each class; might as well make the system even more ?welcoming? and call it DAMAGE!!!) determines your base damage and your chance to do extra damage. Hovering your cursor over your attack rating displays a breakdown, for example 85% vs normal enemy, 70% vs enemy lieutenant, 55% vs enemy boss. What does it mean for you? A system where you always hit is an HP game, so you?ll be hitting the ?bosses? aka HP behemoths for a very, very long time.
I have read a few DA 2 reviews yet nothing in the mainstream media has mentioned it? I mean what the gfsalkfgjask;lf vdsa;lfdlafomdvfl;fmasl;k f, fasdmkfk;j
Huh?

So nobody had a problem with this? If this is true the game is an even bigger joke than I suspected from the demo.
Basically instead of 'missing' you simply deal a very VERY small amount of damage. It might as well be zero for what it is.

You can turn the damage numbers on in the game, and you will see like, for example, 40 or 50... and then 1 and 2, and then 40 again. Those 1 and 2's are misses. They do not count for effects which require a 'hit' either. For example, rogues can get an ability that causes their crit chance to increase with more hits in a short period, but a miss will not increase this value.

Zechnophobe

Feb 4, 2010
Nimcha said:
What a confusing text. It's pretty simple, spells and talents cannot miss while auto-attacks have a hitchance based on your attack score. Near the end of the game that does go to 100%.
But that is only 100% against a normal foe. Without substantial +attack% items, you aren't going to get too far with bosses past 70%.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
Zechnophobe said:
Nimcha said:
But that is only 100% against a normal foe. Without substantial +attack% items, you aren't going to get too far with bosses past 70%.
Yeah true, forgot about that.

Gladiateher

Mar 14, 2011
There are lots of games where this is true and who cares? As long as the combat is fun and engaging it shouldn't matter.

Zechnophobe

Feb 4, 2010
Nimcha said:
Zechnophobe said:
Nimcha said:
Yeah true, forgot about that.
Interesting note by the way, you can get attack above 100%, but it doesn't display it very clearly. Varric with Bianca's Song, Heroism and Precision all active can get pretty ridiculous (like 117%) meaning you hit Bosses with 87% chance! In the tool tip for attack it'll show 100% vs normal, 100% vs Lietunants, 87% vs Boss.

Veeery interesting. Or at least, I think so :).

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
Zechnophobe said:
Nimcha said:
Oh, that explains that [small]GODDAMN ROCK WRAITH[/small] fight.

chris11246

Jul 29, 2009
Kaanyr Vhok said:
Here is the review

Huh?

So what your saying is that you don't miss the giant dragon you just deal very low damage, which is just like missing only not as unrealistic. I see no problem.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
I always hated the miss mechanic in any game it was in. it's like the game is saying "What you think you can hit a huge Dragon at point blank range? LOL think again *****"

It was the reason i stopped playing Morrowind after 3 hours

Zechnophobe

Feb 4, 2010
mireko said:
Zechnophobe said:
Nimcha said:
Oh, that explains that [small]GODDAMN ROCK WRAITH[/small] fight.
Yup! In fact, one of the biggest tricks in this game is realizing that +atk% is computer very differently from +atk!

Let me explain, because I'm a math nerd. Hmm, this is a lot, hopefully it'll make sense.

First of all let's talk about Attack stat versus hit percentage. The attack stat converts into hit percentage on a curve. That is, getting bonus to the attack stat of +22 will not always give you +2% hit percentage, it depends on how much you already have. So increasing your attack too much yields less and less reward.

However, you'll notice that some effects in the game give "+10% attack". This is completely different. While you convert attack stat into %, this is applied afterwards, right on top. So if my 300 attack gives me 80% to hit chance, and I get a +10% effect, it goes straight up to 90%. It doesn't matter how high my hit percentage is before we apply the effect.

This means that combining the two types of effects is always the best. Some attack bonus' while they are still worth a lot, and then some % bonus' on top of that.

So what about bonus' to attack percentage from your attributes, like strength, magic or dexterity you ask?

I'm so happy to answer! These are applied just like the % bonus, they add an amount to your ATTACK stat that will exactly increase your % by 1. So if I am a fighter and get +1 Strength, I also get 1% to my hit chance.

As a note, defense works the exact same way, and so do resistances. So Isabela's static +25% defense from her specialization tree is incredibly effective. When I picked it up in my latest playthrough she went from like a 31% dodge chance, to a 56% dodge chance. A very very substantial reduction in the damage she takes (from normal opponents at least).

Similarly, Resistances from 'resist' stats (+189 fire resist) only help so much. Getting Elemental Aegis to throw on top, will often make the person immune to that element.

Cheers! (Sorry for the wordy post ).