Review claims that you never miss in Dragon Age...Uh mainstream media where are you?

Mekado

Mar 20, 2009
Kaanyr Vhok said:
So what did I get? DA 2 with two waves of filler combat, level scaling, and a bunch of party members dancing at the campfire.. oh and they removed friendly fire.
Stop playing the game on Casual or Normal, friendly fire is still there.

For someone who seems to want a harder game, i'm surprised you didn't figure this one out yet.

Kaanyr Vhok

Mar 8, 2011
Mekado said:
Kaanyr Vhok said:
So what did I get? DA 2 with two waves of filler combat, level scaling, and a bunch of party members dancing at the campfire.. oh and they removed friendly fire.

For someone who seems to want a harder game, i'm surprised you didn't figure this one out yet.
When you play on Nightmare the "glancing blows" do less damage so there is even more hp bloat. The combat maybe more challenging but its worse and longer. Seeing how the combat is already boring the last thing I would want is to make it cheesier and longer. They should have just kept friendly fire on normal or at least hard. The fact that they didn't shows what Bioware thinks of their fans. I dont like playing on the hardest level because it forces you to powergame instead of roleplay. I would rather add challenge by using a suboptimal party.

Regiment

Nov 9, 2009
Is it really preferable to have attacks randomly miss? I don't see much of a difference between a weak boss that you randomly miss and a strong boss you can't miss, except if you lose to the random chance boss over and over again you start cursing out the random number generator.

BabySinclair

Apr 15, 2009
I swing a sword at someone while fighting them and within my striking distance, unless they move I will hit them (sword, shield, armor, flesh, what-have-you). Looking at damage in games as I take damage so I'm getting cut I think is very narrow. When I spar with swords many blows land on my blade and I do feel them, after a long enough time I would tire from them and be "defeated." Cuts also pass through my shirt, nick me, or do superficial harm against me as I take "damage." A solid blow to the torso however is very much a critical hit and would likely kill me if I wasn't using training swords. I can't say how the percentages are but unless I parry or evade a blow that I take on my sword does fatigue me a little so their system makes sense in more than just visual aesthetics.

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
burningdragoon said:
Is there really that much of a difference between sometimes doing no damage and sometimes doing minuscule damage? I don't think so.
True a glancing blow with a sword is much less annoying than watching "MISS MISS MISS MISS MISS MISS" pop up on the screen.

Trolldor

Jan 20, 2011
Kaanyr Vhok said:
Mekado said:
Kaanyr Vhok said:

When you play on Nightmare the "glancing blows" do less damage so there is even more hp bloat. The combat maybe more challenging but its worse and longer. Seeing how the combat is already boring the last thing I would want is to make it cheesier and longer. They should have just kept friendly fire on normal or at least hard. The fact that they didn't shows what Bioware thinks of their fans. I dont like playing on the hardest level because it forces you to powergame instead of roleplay. I would rather add challenge by using a suboptimal party.
You're really bad at the game if it's taking you more than a few minutes.

Kaanyr Vhok

Mar 8, 2011
Trolldor said:
You're really bad at the game if it's taking you more than a few minutes.
Yeah the game sucks because I suck at it... sureee

Its the same thing when others play the demo. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9oF3SBCZS4

I counted 50 hits on that Ogre and he still had more than half health. That is simply repetitive. Where is the AI? Hitpoint difficulty is boring. There is no skill all you do is press a button and its not awesome.

Sicram

Mar 17, 2010
While I never, ever liked "miss", at all in melee and non-projectile spells I do like blocks and parry. However I don't think I ever noticed a block or parry, it very much seems so that you never miss either. Actually, while combat is fun at the start it quickly becomes tedious with more shmucks popping in all the time.

Missing, bad. Bloccking and parrying, good.

Mcface

Aug 30, 2009
Kaanyr Vhok said:
Mcface said:
if its CAPABLE of blocking the attack then call it BLOCK, if he fails to block the attack, then i hit him. I don't even see how how can argue this. again, if you are standing still, how the hell am i going to miss you? IF YOU MOVE, ITS NOT ME MISSING, ITS YOU DODGING.

pay attention to the caps, please.
I got news for you. If you get into a fight and someone ducks and slips your punches you cant save face by saying he dodged them. Muthafuka you missed. Its the same thing. DA 2 doesnt have AI that avoids attacks, it doesnt have a Morrowind style attack rolls, and it doesnt have Origin's dodge animations. So either you dont miss or missing is so rare that it took almost 3000 views before someone confirmed that on rare occasions you might actually miss someone.
I MISSED because he DUCKED. That's what a dodge is.. really dude? really? you just confirmed exactly what we were saying.

Gutkrusha

Nov 19, 2009
All of my characters miss fairly often. My two handed warrior missed about 3 out of 6/7 of his swings.