Review: Damnation

Talendra

Hail, Ilpalazzo!
Jan 26, 2009
nipsen said:
..if the game is so easy to dislike - how come it's so difficult to explain why?
Too much choice. Just do not know where to start.

I so wanted to love damnation, but it was probably the biggest waste of money I've spent in years.

nipsen

Sep 20, 2008
dietpeachsnapple said:
I am under the impression that he did explain why. Not to detract from the conversation starter that you have provided me, but...

What relevance does your question have to the comment that I left to the reviewer?
Just a general question I had. I guess I didn't think the reasons were very good, in the sense that you could say the exact same thing about just about any fps made - without really saying anything wrong, or giving less valid reasons.

Take the first Call of Juarez game, for example. With that one, reviewers seemed to have the opposite problem - the entire game is narrative- driven, but the reviews almost always were centered around the gameplay mechanics. While the only thing (usually) said about the writing in the game was "it's good for what it is", and then period. But it nevertheless was something that always pulled up the overall impression towards the end.

I wonder if the reason why people dislike Damnation is because it's just a "standard" fps, with no interesting twists, in addition to bad story- telling. Which is fine, obviously - but if that's the reason, then the review would be better if it could explain that.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Played the game all the way threw, primarily the game is empty, they have some nice level design but they don't use it not enough weapon types and ammo so you can play around with weapons, the AI is decent enough but they don't put enough of them in a level.

And that's just the core game issues, next up you have a squad(2 teammates max) yet no squad/ally control. The story/charatcers are kinda shtty but I never let that get between me and good game...its just a shame there's not alot of good games anymore....

I see most games with contempt but this one had alot of potential... more so than Gears or Halo(or Bioshock) that are just cash in titles now days..... sure they are a bit better developed but I like them almost as much as everyone else likes Damnation.........

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
nipsen said:
dietpeachsnapple said:
I am under the impression that he did explain why. Not to detract from the conversation starter that you have provided me, but...

What relevance does your question have to the comment that I left to the reviewer?
Just a general question I had. I guess I didn't think the reasons were very good, in the sense that you could say the exact same thing about just about any fps made - without really saying anything wrong, or giving less valid reasons.

Take the first Call of Juarez game, for example. With that one, reviewers seemed to have the opposite problem - the entire game is narrative- driven, but the reviews almost always were centered around the gameplay mechanics. While the only thing (usually) said about the writing in the game was "it's good for what it is", and then period. But it nevertheless was something that always pulled up the overall impression towards the end.

I wonder if the reason why people dislike Damnation is because it's just a "standard" fps, with no interesting twists, in addition to bad story- telling. Which is fine, obviously - but if that's the reason, then the review would be better if it could explain that.
I dunno Damnation suffers from begin empty they have larger and more complex than average levels but poorly utilize them with weapons and AI/enemies that drives its its avrageness into the ground, story wise meh I have seen worse. COJ was a more solidly constructed game, it had a mix of issues but over all it was a fun western shooter, damnation is more of a drag than fun, then again I think gears and halo ep 3 could have been ALOT better then what they were......

dietpeachsnapple

May 27, 2009
nipsen said:
dietpeachsnapple said:

In short, I must disagree with your supposition.

Writing for FPS belongs in the two extremes:
None at all (duke nukem, doom, Quake)
And more than enough (Deus Ex)

Next - there are plenty of games for which the criticism leveled does NOT apply:
Poor controls are generally inexcusable, unreliable game mechanics for enemy location should not be present, and targeting should not be a hodgepodge of *nerf <-> broken*.

The above mentioned four games had none of these problems, and if I were to dig through my collection, I could name a great many more.

Thereafter - you compared an apparently non-plot driven game to a plot driven game after explaining that the criticism could be applied to any game, therein, creating an inconsistency in the comparison.

I do not mean to make this difficult, but your complaints seem a little... disorganized. If you were shooting from the hip, I understand. That happens. I have no compunction against the civil resolution of this conversation, but at this point it may be better to take it off the forum. This does little to add within the general discussion.