Review: Dante's Inferno

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Review: Dante's Inferno

Dante's Inferno offers a compelling story in a well-crafted depiction of Hell.

Read Full Article

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Good review. I still think I'd give it a rent though first.

Tonimata

Jul 21, 2008
Well it sounds balanced enough to actually be worth a try, and since I'm looking away from FPS' for a bit...
Oh wait, I'm poor and have no expendable income whatsoever. Fantastic.

EDIT: "When I first heard about Dante's Inferno, I was like, "What the hell?"

Indeed, Greg. INDEED!

Skeleton Jelly

Nov 1, 2009
Tonimata said:
Well it sounds balanced enough to actually be worth a try, and since I'm looking away from FPS' for a bit...
Oh my yes I feel your pain. 2010 is making me feel too poor as theres so many games and not enough money for me.

Tonimata

Jul 21, 2008
Undead Warfare said:
Tonimata said:
Oh my yes I feel your pain. 2010 is making me feel too poor as theres so many games and not enough money for me.
Worst of it is the fact that the unemployment rates are completely destroying all chances of getting a job round these parts. And mind you, depending on your parents for everything is NOT cool. I can't wait till my band starts touring :(

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
this game is absolute genius. im on my 3rd play (Hellish difficulty), and i only have 2 complaints:

1. the camera can be a ***** sometimes.
2. the final boss was hard as shit.

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
Irish Soulface said:
note to self avoid lust deamons....
you cant. they will use their super stinger vaginas to make you gay.

the Hoarder-Wasters are the worst tho. they hit so hard, its hard as hell to stop their spinning and they have a considerable amount of health.

btw, its dAemons, not deamons.

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
Greg Tito said:
Greg Tito totally didn't read The Divine Comedy in college; he copied his paper off his girlfriend's.
Shame on you :O

I'm reading the thing now and it's pretty interesting.

Was planning on buying the game anyway, but it's nice to know Visceral did a good job.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Played a little myself. It is pretty epic! Im really enjoying it especilly soem deicitions o.o

Eudaemonian

Executor
Jan 22, 2008
I'm glad to see this review come out of the game. I was extremely leery of the title for the same reasons discussed in the opening paragraph. I'd like to say that this review assuaged my worry, but as it so happens a friend of mine with lower standards for games already did that.

He bought it the day it came out and I played through it with him, trading control when we got frustrated (playing on the hardest difficulty available at the start of the game). It's a fun game and the review gets it absolutely right. It's challenging in the right way and the information given through Virgil is absolutely magnificent.

I think they handled giving a dork like me the authentic poetry that I wanted and the action junkie what he wanted pretty well. In the very first level you KILL DEATH. I don't know what more you can ask for. It reminds me a lot of the Penny Arcade comic [http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/3/19/] discussing God of War II (as if the game didn't have enough of those comparisons sitting around anyway).

You could ignore Virgil if you wanted, though listening to him gave you relics (which was enough for me to be able to convince my friend to listen so I could hear what he had to say). The souls that you purified were all people from the original poem and had their backstories included, though you could just jump straight to scything them or playing the minigame (something I had to yell at my friend not to do occasionally, "Do you even know who you just absolved?")

All in all a welcome surprise, and hopefully one that will be shared by people thanks to positive reviews like this. My one complaint is thus: The cross is useless against Lucifer. So... if you leveled holy and ignored the scythe, you basically cannot beat him on Hard. We downleveled to an easier difficulty to see the ending. I understand making him difficult, but making him SO MUCH more difficult for one talent spec seems a bad choice.

Artemus_Cain

May 20, 2009
So, God of War with moral choice. Wow, I'm already kinda disapointed! Can't wait to rent it to see if I'm right or not.

Eudaemonian

Executor
Jan 22, 2008
Artemus_Cain said:
So, God of War with moral choice. Wow, I'm already kinda disapointed! Can't wait to rent it to see if I'm right or not.
The moral choice is really just a talent tree thing. Press one button to get 'holy' and another to get 'unholy'. The game did very little to integrate that into the story, which I'm actually thankful for because it would have been extremely hokey. It's best not to think of it as a moral choice system and more as Scythe Abilities and Cross Abilities. As the review says, getting both is pretty crucial, and being choosy about which you get on each side can be critical if you aren't careful to get all the souls you can, or are playing on one of the harder difficulties.

inpachi

Apr 17, 2009
Artemus_Cain said:
Its god of war with a big scythe also dont forget that!

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
Christemo said:
this game is absolute genius. im on my 3rd play (Hellish difficulty), and i only have 2 complaints:

1. the camera can be a ***** sometimes.
2. the final boss was hard as shit.
It is Satan afterall. Giant floppy horse penis and all.

Yeah I rented it recently. I can't say wether or not it's better than God of War since I've never played any of them. It's got it's good parts and it kept me entertained for ten hours. I thought the animated cut scenes they had at the start of the levels was pretty cool. At the very least it's worth a rental just to see the crazy level and enemy designs.

shirin238

Aug 19, 2008
I'll wait for God of War 3, then I'll read the poem, and hopefully Dante's Inferno will then have fallen into the heavenly cheap price category.
(I already made my stupid stupid mistake with Bayonetta)

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
I have to admit, I want to hate this game - EA have been dicks about it with the advertising before, but this...well, it looks interesting. And I'm not normally interested by the God of War style of gameplay.

Nemu

In my hand I hold a key...
Oct 14, 2009
Great review, I'm sold.
I've finally decided to buy an XBox (for the sole reason of getting FFXIII and it's cheaper than a PS3) and this was one of the only other games I've considered buying--and, actually, it's because I've read The Divine Comedy (a few times).

Not really been a console player for about 5 years, now, and not really interested in getting back into the games like I had before, but I still want this game.

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
I've never played the God of War games, and to be honest, the setting of Dante's Inferno appeals more to me than ancient greece. So, I may actually pick up the PS3 divine addition once I get through AvP.

Good review, and I'm glad you actually spoke about the game, and didn't just compare it to God of War for the entire review....like almost every other review out there for the game...

Telperion

Storyteller
Apr 17, 2008
I'm really enjoying the game: I got it as soon as the game came out. Don't want or care about GoW 3, so there's no reason to wait around for another game like this one.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
No problems with the review but I thought you had an unspoken rule against using the words "compelling" and "cinematic" in your reviews.
Just saying.

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
Eudaemonian said:
Artemus_Cain said:
The moral choice is really just a talent tree thing. Press one button to get 'holy' and another to get 'unholy'. The game did very little to integrate that into the story, which I'm actually thankful for because it would have been extremely hokey. It's best not to think of it as a moral choice system and more as Scythe Abilities and Cross Abilities. As the review says, getting both is pretty crucial, and being choosy about which you get on each side can be critical if you aren't careful to get all the souls you can, or are playing on one of the harder difficulties.
Ok, that means my biggest doubt about the game has gone away.

As for the whole "It's like one of the best Hack and Slash games around! That means it is crap!" arguement...

... Wait, doesn't that make it good? If you take the good elements from a good game and put it in your own, have a different story, and add some more stuff, sure you don't get points for originality, but shouldn't the game itself be good on its own?

If you ignore every other game and focus on whether it's good or not, it looks like it's just fine. Why then does the fact that there is another good game like it mean that this is a horrible thing? Doesn't that mean you get two good games in the market for fans of the genre?

*Edit*

Actually, thinking about it, I'd actually have to say then that Dante's Inferno might do something better than God of War: the main character.

Let's face it, Kratos is basically a sociopath who has the philosophy that nothing is every his fault (how many of you can actually think of this guy as a family man?). His quest is about revenge, not for his family, but because HE was wronged. He unlearns his lessons from the first game, such as don't attack people in the dark when you can't tell if they're really someone you hate or a friend, the god of war is not exempt from punishment if they decide to rampage, the gods always have a stab you in the back clause in any seemingly benevolent gift, all his violence didn't give him peace or happiness, and more. And although he has drive and motivation, all he ever seems to do is take orders.

Dante, however, realizes he's a sinner and regrets it, to the point of sewing it on himself. He's fighting the forces of hell to save his love. His quest is of his own decision and he only has a guide, not a master.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Journeythroughhell said:
No problems with the review but I thought you had an unspoken rule against using the words "compelling" and "cinematic" in your reviews.
Just saying.
Didn't you know? In reviewer hell, those are the only 2 words available....;)

Mar 16, 2009
I really like the idea of the game, but at twelve hours is it really worth buying?
I understand twelve hours might be appropriate for the games feel, and since they seemed to run out of ideas it was for the best, but do I want to shell out sixty dollars for a game I'm only getting twelve hours out of?

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
Finally a review that doesn't just go on and on about GoW. I mean it's not like GoW s a bad game.

If you like the genre then it's most definitely worth playing. The price issue is up to you.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
I'll be honest, when I started reading your review, I thought your were being sarcastic. I guess I shouldn't be too prejudiced about a game I haven't played (or will play for that matter), just because I find the liberties the designers took with the source material to be absolutely pathetic. Still, it's a good review. I'm glad you are able to overlook the butchering of Dante's Comedy and have fun with the game, but I'm afraid I could never do that.

AngelOfBlueRoses

The Cerulean Prince
Nov 5, 2008
Delock said:
Eudaemonian said:
Artemus_Cain said:
Ok, that means my biggest doubt about the game has gone away.

As for the whole "It's like one of the best Hack and Slash games around! That means it is crap!" arguement...

... Wait, doesn't that make it good? If you take the good elements from a good game and put it in your own, have a different story, and add some more stuff, sure you don't get points for originality, but shouldn't the game itself be good on its own?

If you ignore every other game and focus on whether it's good or not, it looks like it's just fine. Why then does the fact that there is another good game like it mean that this is a horrible thing? Doesn't that mean you get two good games in the market for fans of the genre?

*Edit*

Actually, thinking about it, I'd actually have to say then that Dante's Inferno might do something better than God of War: the main character.

Let's face it, Kratos is basically a sociopath who has the philosophy that nothing is every his fault (how many of you can actually think of this guy as a family man?). His quest is about revenge, not for his family, but because HE was wronged. He unlearns his lessons from the first game, such as don't attack people in the dark when you can't tell if they're really someone you hate or a friend, the god of war is not exempt from punishment if they decide to rampage, the gods always have a stab you in the back clause in any seemingly benevolent gift, all his violence didn't give him peace or happiness, and more. And although he has drive and motivation, all he ever seems to do is take orders.

Dante, however, realizes he's a sinner and regrets it, to the point of sewing it on himself. He's fighting the forces of hell to save his love. His quest is of his own decision and he only has a guide, not a master.
...Damnit! You ninja'd me! My first ninja ever!

I was making a huge rant about how I actually liked Dante's Inferno more than God of War through things like the atmosphere of the game and the absolving or punishing, but my main point was that Dante as a character is infinitely more like-able as a main character than Kratos is. Dante seeks redemption for not only him, but also for Beatrice and his family. In fact, he doesn't give two shits if he's damned. He doesn't want others to be punished for his sins. That's what keeps him going, unlike Kratos who just seeks revenge for himself. While Revenge and Redemption do sometimes go hand-in-hand, Dante wasn't driven by revenge as Kratos was.

Pirce

Nov 5, 2008
Playing the game it kept reminding me of something, but I can't quite put my finger on it. I mean what other game feels so much like...

http://library.thinkquest.org/06aug/01856/media/devil%20may%20cry%203.jpg

Oh, oh yeah right.

Eudaemonian

Executor
Jan 22, 2008
Pirce said:
Playing the game it kept reminding me of something, but I can't quite put my finger on it. I mean what other game feels so much like...

(Image of DMC3)

Oh, oh yeah right.
Really? Because other than the name it didn't remind me of that game in any way. Despite a similar genre they felt completely different. I realize the urge to be snarky about the Dante thing is strong, but I really don't see any basis for this.

I mean, in a weird way, Dante's Inferno really has more rights to the name via its connection to the original work, tenuous as they may be.

Pirce

Nov 5, 2008
It had nothing to do with the name or the poem. It had to due with the gameplay. The gameplay, like so many others in the genre, simply feels like an off brand version of DMC's. I was really hopping that this game would be a Shinobi, not another God of War.

Feb 13, 2008
I played it on my brother's Xbox, and the one thing I took from it is how SERIOUS it takes itself.

I just looked at it and sniggered half the time as it SHOWED HOW SERIOUS IT WAS.

It's fun, but not something I'd pay full price for.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Personally, I think it's better than God of War. Maybe not gameplay-wise, but the story is great. Loved every second of it... Well, except maybe the Malebolge, those levels are really unnecessary and boring.

sunpop

Oct 23, 2008
I was shocked I enjoyed it some with it being such a god of war clone style game. I went as far to say it was actually good, however I wont be buying it just waiting for my friend to beat it so I can borrow it.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
The Malebolge was bulls***, particularly because that's one of the coolest parts of the poem.

I ended up getting irritated with the way they depicted Hell because they kept trying so hard to look like Gustav Dore's drawings but kept missing the essential ingredient: lots of suffering people. I dunno if that's tech limits or design issues, more probably both, but it ended up making Hell feel really empty. Instead of mountains of suffering people you get a couple of statues, the sound of suffering people in the background, and the occasional heap of bodies down in Styx or the River of Boiling Blood (Phlegathon?).

I don't really know what to say to people when they ask about it at this point. Conceptually it's God of War with some clever tweaks. There are moves you can spam but that's hardly new to the genre. Artistically...it's hit or miss. When they stop trying to be Dore and do their own thing, it gets really interesting like in Lust or the Suicide Woods. The way they reorganized Hell is also a bit confusing because they swap out different sins to go in different places.

I dunno...if you like the poem, you'll get a kick out of the game.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
I finished this game last Sunday.And I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed it.
And I was happy with the difficulty of the final boss.He was hard, without being tedious.

pneuma08

Gaming Connoisseur
Sep 10, 2008
I'm sorry, this game still breaks metaphysics in a way that hurts my brain. He kills death because he doesn't want to die - and that's just the surface. I understand now why my father can't watch Dragon Ball Z (same with regular physics for him).

I may still rent it to see the action, setting, and possibly a decent into madness and/or realization. I cannot see myself buying it, however.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Remember, God of War basically took devil may cry's combat and then added puzzles.

Chasmodius

Rogue Commentator
Jan 13, 2010
Ooh, admission of plagiarism... better make sure no-one from your school reads that, or they might take your degree away! (they can do that, you know... but usually only for Doctoral candidates)

comadorcrack

The Master of Speilingz
Mar 19, 2009
EH. Seems a waste of money for me if God of War 3's coming out soon. Though if you;ve only got a 360 then go for it I suppose

In Limbo

Nov 4, 2008
Good review, but your enunciation and emphasis are off in the video supplement. Relax, take your time, be one with the punctuation. :)

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
AC10 said:
Remember, God of War basically took devil may cry's combat and then added puzzles.
Still amazes me how people always say X is ripping of GoW, when DMC did it way before hand, heck even DMC had puzzles to a certain degree.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
Irish Soulface said:
The lust deamons are easily amongst the most challenging and annoying. They're definitely the 'oh for god sake, not more of them' enemies.

Pirce

Nov 5, 2008
elvor0 said:
AC10 said:
Still amazes me how people always say X is ripping of GoW, when DMC did it way before hand, heck even DMC had puzzles to a certain degree.
Same here, and GoW isn't even a good DMC rip off.

paralost

Aug 7, 2009
this game screams MEH to me. i mean whats the point of calling it Dante's Inferno if it only barely resembles what its based from. you know like most Mario games. but seriously its like the game wimped out on its hardcore stance. so killing unbaptized babies is cool but murdering murderers, rapists and homosexuals isn't... got it now i know where the line is. i wished this game would've grew some balls; than again they probably wouldn't have gotten away with it because everyone is a freaking tosser and anything controversial would enrage the sheep masses, but it still would've been worth a try. it's like scary chicks and creepy setting seen it in silent hill, boobs seen it in other games (which btw is no longer being edgy...just being idk mature or maybe just a poser) and you know real life. the only reason i'd get this game is because it looks (visually) good and that always peaks a small interest. but i could be wrong and welcome a discussion on my bashing...you know if anyone cares.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
To get through Fraud, you are faced with 10 successive challenges such as killing all enemies without resetting your combo meter or taking out enemies in the air. The game felt so organic up until then that being confronted with such artificial gameplay constraints which didn't inform the story or the setting made it feel like the designers ran out of ideas.
Did it make you feel cheated?

As if this whole part of the game was... a fraud?

Well, sadly I doubt I'll be able to play this on the foreseeable future, so I won't be able to write my review in terza rima.

DragonChi

Nov 1, 2008
Personally, I love this game. very few games give so much motivation to finish. and the designs of each circle of hell are so interesting and in-depth I can't wait to see how each next circle looks. The story is equally compelling, the gameplay (to me at least) is flawless. its fun, i love hack and slash, its challenging enough to not be fun and not a total pain in the ass (god of war, wink wink..or maybe i just suck..i dunno) point is im very happy with the game.

my only problem was, i got a code with the "divine edition" for PS3 that gives me exclusive extras for free and the code doesn't fucking work. it tells me to recheck it or its no longer valid. sooo..wtf?!

apart from that, fukn eh! great game. currently, i just finished the Lust Tower and having to climb and swing across these things that look like sphincters blowing fire.

MortisLegio

Nov 5, 2008
finally a review that doesn't just say "Its GOW with Satan" then complain how it isnt GOW

Jojo1378

Feb 17, 2010
i got this game and it is really quite enjoyable, the combat is pretty fluid too.

lhin

Nov 18, 2009
......and gametrailers said it sucks......now I really hate gametrailers

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I'm gonna rent it. Had a decent time with the demo.

It'll hold me over until my friend is done with the copy of Bayonetta I lent him. This guy is gonna do ALL the difficulties. Which is just asking for punishment.

Irish Soulface

Sep 18, 2008
Christemo said:
Irish Soulface said:

the Hoarder-Wasters are the worst tho. they hit so hard, its hard as hell to stop their spinning and they have a considerable amount of health.

thank you grammer police

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
Irish Soulface said:
Christemo said:
Irish Soulface said:

thank you grammer police
i wasnt correcting your grammar, silly. you just made a typo, and i wanted to correct it.

Irish Soulface

Sep 18, 2008
Christemo said:
Irish Soulface said:
Christemo said:
Irish Soulface said:

thank you grammer police

i wasnt correcting your grammar, silly. you just made a typo, and i wanted to correct it.
oh don't worry about it, honestly it doesn't matter, didn't think my comment would get that much attention... p.s: that was a pretty fast reply lol

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
Irish Soulface said:
Christemo said:
Irish Soulface said:
Christemo said:
Irish Soulface said:

thank you grammer police

oh don't worry about it, honestly it doesn't matter, didn't think my comment would get that much attention... p.s: that was a pretty fast reply lol
i didnt know i replied that fast, since im constantly jumping around sites other than the Escapist, so i dont really keep myself that much up to date.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
That the gameplay would be a 70% carbon copy of God of War was predictable from the moment the demo became available, but as I've said time and time again, there are worse genetic templates to work with whe cloning a game... and as you correctly pointed out, the real star of the game is hell itself. To me, hell is a far more interesting setting to be visually realized than Greek mythology, anyway.

I, for one, don't regret getting this game on launch day. Once I'm done with AvP, I'll go for a second playthrough as Isaac Clarke. ^^

Eudaemonian

Executor
Jan 22, 2008
I was unaware that Devil May Cry had laid permanent claim to all games where you beat things up in a 3D third-person perspective. I tire so of people attaching relatively broad swathes of gaming to the "first" example of a genre. I might be willing to accept this if the idea were significantly more innovative.

eels05

Jun 11, 2009
I'm satisfied with the game.Glad I got it on release.

Though I would have liked to be able to look around Hell in alot more detail,to get a scenic sense of the lay of the land.

Also repeating enemies from previous levels in later levels seemed a slight cop-out.
It actually does seem like they rushed to get it finished,though overall the idea of battling your way to Satan is compelling enough to keep you going.

Hope they make the next one.

Smokescreen

Dec 6, 2007
This might be weird, but; I felt that the written review of this game was at odds with the video version. The v/o felt reluctant and almost apologetic for his opinions whereas the written material, while virtually saying the same thing, did not carry the tone of 'well...maybe.' It sounded convincing and supportive of the opinion.

After watching the video, I am actually less inclined to rent or buy this game, because the feeling of reluctance I get from the reviewer speaks to me in a tone dissonant from the review itself, as though he was unwilling to talk about the game's flaws (which, when I played it at PAX were pretty apparent, {though they may have been fixed since then.})

Ian S

Aug 31, 2009
This is probably the first actual good and objective review I've seen for this game. All the others I've read everywhere else basically boil down to, "It's like God of War, therefore it's not very original which is why we're giving it a 5.5 or 6.5." But I'm glad it was reviewed on its own merits for its presentation, gameplay and execution. Yes, inevitably comparisons to GoW are going to come up, but as Greg noted, GoW wasn't the first game of its kind either. It simply was one of the ones that did it best. There's a great article Moviebob just wrote about how there are no more original stories in movies anymore, but that doesn't really matter. What does matter is how that story is told. If people get caught up in noticing all the familiar plot twists in a story, they're not going to allow themselves to enjoy it. The same can be said about video games and the gameplay styles. Really, there's only so many types of games out there, and they all more or less use the same mechanics. So picking on Dante's Inferno because it's like God Of War to me seems somewhat unfair. What matters is how Visceral pulled it off, and having played it for a few hours myself, I'd agree with Greg that they pulled it off rather well.

I'd even go as far as to say Dante's Inferno isn't even like God of War. If anything, its storyline reminds me of an even older game. Let's see, you play a knight whose girlfriend has been kindapped by Satan. In pursuit of her you fight all kinds of monsters while going into and through what appears to be Hell until you finally rescue her. Hmm... Where have I seen this before? Oh yeah! Ghosts n' Goblins!

Does that make Dante's any more derivative? Of course not. If anything, Dante's feels more authentic because it acutally has the literary pedigree to back it up. In fact, I'm probably sure the designers at Capcom were a little bit inspired The Inferno itself when they made GnG.

So hats off to Greg for giving Dante's Inferno a decent and fair review. I hope that I find the rest of the game just as enjoyable.

Hileo20

Dec 7, 2009
The reviewer can at least pretend to be interested in what he's talking about right? I thought the game was really well done. The difficulty curve between each difficulty setting is massive in my opinion. The game play is good with very few glitches, but I would agree it's more of a rental. Once you've beaten it and got all the achievements(which can be done in one play through except for one of them), there isn't anything to make you want to go back. It has a very well told story and all pieced together quite well to me.

I realize my opinion doesn't matter much, but I wasn't impressed with how uninterested the reviewer was during the review, so I gave my points.

Hileo20

Dec 7, 2009
paralost said:
this game screams MEH to me. i mean whats the point of calling it Dante's Inferno if it only barely resembles what its based from. you know like most Mario games. but seriously its like the game wimped out on its hardcore stance. so killing unbaptized babies is cool but murdering murderers, rapists and homosexuals isn't... got it now i know where the line is. i wished this game would've grew some balls; than again they probably wouldn't have gotten away with it because everyone is a freaking tosser and anything controversial would enrage the sheep masses, but it still would've been worth a try. it's like scary chicks and creepy setting seen it in silent hill, boobs seen it in other games (which btw is no longer being edgy...just being idk mature or maybe just a poser) and you know real life. the only reason i'd get this game is because it looks (visually) good and that always peaks a small interest. but i could be wrong and welcome a discussion on my bashing...you know if anyone cares.
It actually follows the story rather well. It gives justice to every claim made during the divine comedy poem. The only change is instead of someone showing the main character what hell is, the main character has to push through hell and the guide just gives background info from the divine comedy.
And what are you talking about when you say murdering murders and rapists isnt cool? I dont understand where the "game has no balls" thing is coming from.. When you find the Damned Souls in the game you make the judgment if they deserve to be set free or stay in hell. There is nothing that says you have to be nice to anyone.

Towels

Feb 21, 2010
I was skeptical at first, but after watching this review I would like to try this game.

I found the liberties they took with the Divine Comedy amusing, not offensive. They turned a meek, pious poet into a badass crusader fighting for the soul of an unattainable muse who in reality probably didn't know Dante existed.

I have to say that this game does portray a key point about the literature pretty well: the choice to absolve or condemn. In the poem Dante shows pity for the tragic lovers in Lust, but aggressively condemns the bitter politicians in Wrath. It shows how variable Dante's emotions are about morals, and I interpret the game's absolve/condemn mechanic as a representation of that.

And forget God of War or Devil May Cry, I can say this is a rip-off of Castlevania. But it isn't, because it appears to be ts own game.

Dante is probably looking down from Heaven shaking his head, but then maybe Beatrice is laughing beside him about his feelings for her being so amplified.

shadow skill

Oct 12, 2007
I'm playing it right now and I have to say that it isn't very fun at all. The enemies are so small that it can be difficult to see when they are coming in to attack. The game is physically tiring with all of those annoying instances where you have to mash circle. (It's one of the things about God of War that I do not like as well.) The save point system only makes things worse since many of the deaths come from being unable to see things clearly. The setting while interesting suffers from trying to conform itself to a specific work of art while at the same time trying to turn the Divine Comedy into something it inherently is not. Dante isn't even badass he's just a flawed individual, like so many others, that happens to dress like a complete moron.

Greg Tito

Sep 29, 2005
are you kidding?
lucifer easy?
he was the hardest boss in the game.
i waltsed the other bosses with relative ease.
the only one i died against was antony and cleo because at that point in the game i still didn't really have a firm grasp of the combo's and had basically no skills.
every other boss was a easy.
except lucifer. i must have died about 7 times against him.
his second stage was frustratingly difficult.
did you play it on easy?
because iv been told the leap between easy and normal was bayonetta styled big.

Greg Tito

Sep 29, 2005
got this for £20 as a part of a deal when I bought my PS3 (250gb free HDMI cable, free GoW3, £20 Dantes Inferno) have yet to play it though waiting for it to arrive. Damn courriers..
Watched the animation movie though and wow, it is amazing