Review: Dante's Inferno

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Review: Dante's Inferno

Dante's Inferno offers a compelling story in a well-crafted depiction of Hell.

Read Full Article

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Good review. I still think I'd give it a rent though first.

Tonimata

Jul 21, 2008
Well it sounds balanced enough to actually be worth a try, and since I'm looking away from FPS' for a bit...
Oh wait, I'm poor and have no expendable income whatsoever. Fantastic.

EDIT: "When I first heard about Dante's Inferno, I was like, "What the hell?"

Indeed, Greg. INDEED!

Skeleton Jelly

Nov 1, 2009
Tonimata said:
Well it sounds balanced enough to actually be worth a try, and since I'm looking away from FPS' for a bit...
Oh my yes I feel your pain. 2010 is making me feel too poor as theres so many games and not enough money for me.

Tonimata

Jul 21, 2008
Undead Warfare said:
Tonimata said:
Oh my yes I feel your pain. 2010 is making me feel too poor as theres so many games and not enough money for me.
Worst of it is the fact that the unemployment rates are completely destroying all chances of getting a job round these parts. And mind you, depending on your parents for everything is NOT cool. I can't wait till my band starts touring :(

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
this game is absolute genius. im on my 3rd play (Hellish difficulty), and i only have 2 complaints:

1. the camera can be a ***** sometimes.
2. the final boss was hard as shit.

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
Irish Soulface said:
note to self avoid lust deamons....
you cant. they will use their super stinger vaginas to make you gay.

the Hoarder-Wasters are the worst tho. they hit so hard, its hard as hell to stop their spinning and they have a considerable amount of health.

btw, its dAemons, not deamons.

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
Greg Tito said:
Greg Tito totally didn't read The Divine Comedy in college; he copied his paper off his girlfriend's.
Shame on you :O

I'm reading the thing now and it's pretty interesting.

Was planning on buying the game anyway, but it's nice to know Visceral did a good job.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Played a little myself. It is pretty epic! Im really enjoying it especilly soem deicitions o.o

Eudaemonian

Executor
Jan 22, 2008
I'm glad to see this review come out of the game. I was extremely leery of the title for the same reasons discussed in the opening paragraph. I'd like to say that this review assuaged my worry, but as it so happens a friend of mine with lower standards for games already did that.

He bought it the day it came out and I played through it with him, trading control when we got frustrated (playing on the hardest difficulty available at the start of the game). It's a fun game and the review gets it absolutely right. It's challenging in the right way and the information given through Virgil is absolutely magnificent.

I think they handled giving a dork like me the authentic poetry that I wanted and the action junkie what he wanted pretty well. In the very first level you KILL DEATH. I don't know what more you can ask for. It reminds me a lot of the Penny Arcade comic [http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/3/19/] discussing God of War II (as if the game didn't have enough of those comparisons sitting around anyway).

You could ignore Virgil if you wanted, though listening to him gave you relics (which was enough for me to be able to convince my friend to listen so I could hear what he had to say). The souls that you purified were all people from the original poem and had their backstories included, though you could just jump straight to scything them or playing the minigame (something I had to yell at my friend not to do occasionally, "Do you even know who you just absolved?")

All in all a welcome surprise, and hopefully one that will be shared by people thanks to positive reviews like this. My one complaint is thus: The cross is useless against Lucifer. So... if you leveled holy and ignored the scythe, you basically cannot beat him on Hard. We downleveled to an easier difficulty to see the ending. I understand making him difficult, but making him SO MUCH more difficult for one talent spec seems a bad choice.

Artemus_Cain

May 20, 2009
So, God of War with moral choice. Wow, I'm already kinda disapointed! Can't wait to rent it to see if I'm right or not.

Eudaemonian

Executor
Jan 22, 2008
Artemus_Cain said:
So, God of War with moral choice. Wow, I'm already kinda disapointed! Can't wait to rent it to see if I'm right or not.
The moral choice is really just a talent tree thing. Press one button to get 'holy' and another to get 'unholy'. The game did very little to integrate that into the story, which I'm actually thankful for because it would have been extremely hokey. It's best not to think of it as a moral choice system and more as Scythe Abilities and Cross Abilities. As the review says, getting both is pretty crucial, and being choosy about which you get on each side can be critical if you aren't careful to get all the souls you can, or are playing on one of the harder difficulties.

inpachi

Apr 17, 2009
Artemus_Cain said:
Its god of war with a big scythe also dont forget that!

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
Christemo said:
this game is absolute genius. im on my 3rd play (Hellish difficulty), and i only have 2 complaints:

1. the camera can be a ***** sometimes.
2. the final boss was hard as shit.
It is Satan afterall. Giant floppy horse penis and all.

Yeah I rented it recently. I can't say wether or not it's better than God of War since I've never played any of them. It's got it's good parts and it kept me entertained for ten hours. I thought the animated cut scenes they had at the start of the levels was pretty cool. At the very least it's worth a rental just to see the crazy level and enemy designs.

shirin238

Aug 19, 2008
I'll wait for God of War 3, then I'll read the poem, and hopefully Dante's Inferno will then have fallen into the heavenly cheap price category.
(I already made my stupid stupid mistake with Bayonetta)

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
I have to admit, I want to hate this game - EA have been dicks about it with the advertising before, but this...well, it looks interesting. And I'm not normally interested by the God of War style of gameplay.