Review: Dante's Inferno

Eudaemonian

Executor
Jan 22, 2008
I was unaware that Devil May Cry had laid permanent claim to all games where you beat things up in a 3D third-person perspective. I tire so of people attaching relatively broad swathes of gaming to the "first" example of a genre. I might be willing to accept this if the idea were significantly more innovative.

eels05

Jun 11, 2009
I'm satisfied with the game.Glad I got it on release.

Though I would have liked to be able to look around Hell in alot more detail,to get a scenic sense of the lay of the land.

Also repeating enemies from previous levels in later levels seemed a slight cop-out.
It actually does seem like they rushed to get it finished,though overall the idea of battling your way to Satan is compelling enough to keep you going.

Hope they make the next one.

Smokescreen

Dec 6, 2007
This might be weird, but; I felt that the written review of this game was at odds with the video version. The v/o felt reluctant and almost apologetic for his opinions whereas the written material, while virtually saying the same thing, did not carry the tone of 'well...maybe.' It sounded convincing and supportive of the opinion.

After watching the video, I am actually less inclined to rent or buy this game, because the feeling of reluctance I get from the reviewer speaks to me in a tone dissonant from the review itself, as though he was unwilling to talk about the game's flaws (which, when I played it at PAX were pretty apparent, {though they may have been fixed since then.})

Ian S

Aug 31, 2009
This is probably the first actual good and objective review I've seen for this game. All the others I've read everywhere else basically boil down to, "It's like God of War, therefore it's not very original which is why we're giving it a 5.5 or 6.5." But I'm glad it was reviewed on its own merits for its presentation, gameplay and execution. Yes, inevitably comparisons to GoW are going to come up, but as Greg noted, GoW wasn't the first game of its kind either. It simply was one of the ones that did it best. There's a great article Moviebob just wrote about how there are no more original stories in movies anymore, but that doesn't really matter. What does matter is how that story is told. If people get caught up in noticing all the familiar plot twists in a story, they're not going to allow themselves to enjoy it. The same can be said about video games and the gameplay styles. Really, there's only so many types of games out there, and they all more or less use the same mechanics. So picking on Dante's Inferno because it's like God Of War to me seems somewhat unfair. What matters is how Visceral pulled it off, and having played it for a few hours myself, I'd agree with Greg that they pulled it off rather well.

I'd even go as far as to say Dante's Inferno isn't even like God of War. If anything, its storyline reminds me of an even older game. Let's see, you play a knight whose girlfriend has been kindapped by Satan. In pursuit of her you fight all kinds of monsters while going into and through what appears to be Hell until you finally rescue her. Hmm... Where have I seen this before? Oh yeah! Ghosts n' Goblins!

Does that make Dante's any more derivative? Of course not. If anything, Dante's feels more authentic because it acutally has the literary pedigree to back it up. In fact, I'm probably sure the designers at Capcom were a little bit inspired The Inferno itself when they made GnG.

So hats off to Greg for giving Dante's Inferno a decent and fair review. I hope that I find the rest of the game just as enjoyable.

Hileo20

Dec 7, 2009
The reviewer can at least pretend to be interested in what he's talking about right? I thought the game was really well done. The difficulty curve between each difficulty setting is massive in my opinion. The game play is good with very few glitches, but I would agree it's more of a rental. Once you've beaten it and got all the achievements(which can be done in one play through except for one of them), there isn't anything to make you want to go back. It has a very well told story and all pieced together quite well to me.

I realize my opinion doesn't matter much, but I wasn't impressed with how uninterested the reviewer was during the review, so I gave my points.

Hileo20

Dec 7, 2009
paralost said:
this game screams MEH to me. i mean whats the point of calling it Dante's Inferno if it only barely resembles what its based from. you know like most Mario games. but seriously its like the game wimped out on its hardcore stance. so killing unbaptized babies is cool but murdering murderers, rapists and homosexuals isn't... got it now i know where the line is. i wished this game would've grew some balls; than again they probably wouldn't have gotten away with it because everyone is a freaking tosser and anything controversial would enrage the sheep masses, but it still would've been worth a try. it's like scary chicks and creepy setting seen it in silent hill, boobs seen it in other games (which btw is no longer being edgy...just being idk mature or maybe just a poser) and you know real life. the only reason i'd get this game is because it looks (visually) good and that always peaks a small interest. but i could be wrong and welcome a discussion on my bashing...you know if anyone cares.
It actually follows the story rather well. It gives justice to every claim made during the divine comedy poem. The only change is instead of someone showing the main character what hell is, the main character has to push through hell and the guide just gives background info from the divine comedy.
And what are you talking about when you say murdering murders and rapists isnt cool? I dont understand where the "game has no balls" thing is coming from.. When you find the Damned Souls in the game you make the judgment if they deserve to be set free or stay in hell. There is nothing that says you have to be nice to anyone.

Towels

Feb 21, 2010
I was skeptical at first, but after watching this review I would like to try this game.

I found the liberties they took with the Divine Comedy amusing, not offensive. They turned a meek, pious poet into a badass crusader fighting for the soul of an unattainable muse who in reality probably didn't know Dante existed.

I have to say that this game does portray a key point about the literature pretty well: the choice to absolve or condemn. In the poem Dante shows pity for the tragic lovers in Lust, but aggressively condemns the bitter politicians in Wrath. It shows how variable Dante's emotions are about morals, and I interpret the game's absolve/condemn mechanic as a representation of that.

And forget God of War or Devil May Cry, I can say this is a rip-off of Castlevania. But it isn't, because it appears to be ts own game.

Dante is probably looking down from Heaven shaking his head, but then maybe Beatrice is laughing beside him about his feelings for her being so amplified.

shadow skill

Oct 12, 2007
I'm playing it right now and I have to say that it isn't very fun at all. The enemies are so small that it can be difficult to see when they are coming in to attack. The game is physically tiring with all of those annoying instances where you have to mash circle. (It's one of the things about God of War that I do not like as well.) The save point system only makes things worse since many of the deaths come from being unable to see things clearly. The setting while interesting suffers from trying to conform itself to a specific work of art while at the same time trying to turn the Divine Comedy into something it inherently is not. Dante isn't even badass he's just a flawed individual, like so many others, that happens to dress like a complete moron.