Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Review: DC Universe Online

Enter the world of Superman and Batman

Read Full Article

DevilSShadoW

Oct 29, 2009
I've been playing on my PC since release and I don't have any problems (delays) with the interface. I also find it pretty intuitive. I also play on a pvp server so that adds another level of fun to the whole thing.

Feb 13, 2008
HankMan said:
Oh well I'll just have to wait for Marvel Universe Online.
Cancelled sometime ago. And then turned into those bighead characters I think?

Never mind...here's a PC preview ;)

Pardon the coughing, I had a cold ;)

ManStapler

Jul 13, 2009
Well, Champions Online just turned Free to play, so I'm pretty sure people will get interested more in playing that, since they can just play it and not pay for it.

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
Someone with a PC version tell me how it is please?

I'm itching to try this but I don't want to shell out for it and pay a monthly to do so. I know it only has 30 levels and that in itself is quite off putting.
Basically, sell it to me.

JordanXlord

Mar 29, 2010
i Absolutely Love this game...I finaly wanted to be the Villian that cant be Beaten...So far i kicked more ass than...um...something that kicks lots of ass

lomylithruldor

Aug 10, 2009
ManStapler said:
Well, Champions Online just turned Free to play, so I'm pretty sure people will get interested more in playing that, since they can just play it and not pay for it.
Don't think so. The best aspect of CO was that you can pick the power you want and customize it. You still have to pay a monthly fee for that.

I've played both and the superheroic feel from DCUO is a lot better than CO. Read Shamus Young's Let's play Champions Online to see how that game is silly.

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
Wait, so PC and PS3 can play together? Everything I read said they dropped that.

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
I played the PC beta and besides the level cap being entirely too easy to reach for the most part it was a fun experience. It also made me want to look into a few issues of some DC heroes I wasn't overly familiar with.

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
Lyri said:

I'm itching to try this but I don't want to shell out for it and pay a monthly to do so. I know it only has 30 levels and that in itself is quite off putting.
As someone who brought this, I'd love to sell it but I don't think I can. I don't think its worth paying the monthly fee for, I'm only playing until my free trial is up and that's it as far as I'm concerned, but as far as the free trial goes its worth playing for that, its an all right game and you'll get a decent bit of mileage out of it.

You only really need 30 levels, any more and I reckon it would get quite tedious.

The combat mechanics are a lot of fun, mixing the melee/ranged combos of an action game with the abilities of an mmo worked like a charm, and as far as I know this is one of the only mmos to pull this off successfully. While the range of weapon types you have and the number of powers you've got aren't as vast as they in Champions Online it still holds its own. I love my hand blaster weapon mixed with the Gadgets power.

There's very little difference between the heroes and villains quest lines. As in you'll be doing the same stuff...just slightly different. For example: At one point if you're playing as a hero you'll be helping out the Green Lantern Corps deal with the Sinestro Corps, in the first quest you'll help out members of the Green Lantern Corps by defending them from attacks by the Sinestro Corps. If you're playing as a villain...just swap Green Lantern for Sinestro and Vise Versa.

Also, it can be buggy and slightly laggy at times. And lag in an action game...ooof it hurts.

But no matter its shortcomings I'd say its a good game, but its got very little replay value which for an MMO isn't that good.

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
gibboss28 said:
As someone who brought this, I'd love to sell it but I don't think I can. I don't think its worth paying the monthly fee for, I'm only playing until my free trial is up and that's it as far as I'm concerned, but as far as the free trial goes its worth playing for that, its an all right game and you'll get a decent bit of mileage out of it.

You only really need 30 levels, any more and I reckon it would get quite tedious.

The combat mechanics are a lot of fun, mixing the melee/ranged combos of an action game with the abilities of an mmo worked like a charm, and as far as I know this is one of the only mmos to pull this off successfully. While the range of weapon types you have and the number of powers you've got aren't as vast as they in Champions Online it still holds its own. I love my hand blaster weapon mixed with the Gadgets power.

There's very little difference between the heroes and villains quest lines. As in you'll be doing the same stuff...just slightly different. For example: At one point if you're playing as a hero you'll be helping out the Green Lantern Corps deal with the Sinestro Corps, in the first quest you'll help out members of the Green Lantern Corps by defending them from attacks by the Sinestro Corps. If you're playing as a villain...just swap Green Lantern for Sinestro and Vise Versa.

Also, it can be buggy and slightly laggy at times. And lag in an action game...ooof it hurts.

But no matter its shortcomings I'd say its a good game, but its got very little replay value which for an MMO isn't that good.
Excellent, thanks very much sir. You just saved me some cash, perhaps I could buy you a drink one day to return the favour.

lomylithruldor

Aug 10, 2009
Lyri said:

I have it on PC and I really like the game.

It doesn't really matter how many levels the game has. If it has 85 levels but you only get a point every 2 level or it has 45 levels but a point every level, there's not a big difference right? In DCUO, every odd level, you get a skill point (boost your weapon attack by buying combos, stat boost or movement upgrade) and every even level, you get a power. You also get a new skill point for every 100 achievement points, so trying to get achievements gets you a reward.

At 30, you have 15 power points, but your action bar can hold 6 powers (plus one item and one trinket) so it's a bit like guild wars. You have to be prepared with the right powers for the encounter, but at least you can change them when not in combat. You also have enough power points to be ok for two roles if you like being versatile. Every power set has damage and another role (controller, healer or tank). Controller is a mix of CC and party member energy regen. Powers can behave differently depending on your role. Ex: there's a sorcery spell that gives the status "Bad Karma" to the target. If your in DPS, it does AoE DoT on the mobs. If you're in healer role, it's a AoE HoT on your party member around the target.

The combat system is the best from all the MMOs I tried because it's not keybind based. You have to use combos that stun or kockback your ennemies to do good damage and not die. Also there's a block and you can dodge attacks like most action games. Some attacks are better to be blocked and others to be dodged. PvP has more depth because of the blockbreakers, interrupts, stuns in weapon attacks.

I really like to use a pulling power, do a big combo that finish with a big knockback attack, then pull the mob before he hit the ground and do the combo again.

The first month is free, so you don't have to pay a monthly fee if you don't like it. If you don't like the game, it's not really different than buying a new game that you end up not liking.

I've been playing since launch and I really like the game. I won't be able to play WoW again because the combat system is too boring after playing DCUO.

Void(null)

Dec 10, 2008
ManStapler said:
Is paying for an MMO really that big of a consideration? $15 a month VS how many hours of entertainment? When I buy a game I look for $1 an hour of value. MMO's + Monthly fees easily hit that and more and generally eat up most of my gaming time to the point that I actually save money by not buying other games.

BRMXJzjsoawk321

Jan 13, 2010
I've been playing the trial on PC and it's been really boring so far, I don't really like it.. I still have too many fond memories of City of Heroes.. :(