Review: Dead Space 2

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Review: Dead Space 2

The first Dead Space was just a warm-up getting you ready for this.

Read Full Article

comadorcrack

The Master of Speilingz
Mar 19, 2009
High Five me Susan! No seriously.. High Five me. No I'm not kidding HIGH FIVE ME!
Look we're not getting anywhere until I get a high five. Seriously. Nothing.

But seriously. One of the first times I've read a review and completely agreed with everything.
Oh and Multiplayer is very Meh across the board

Soooo

HIGH FIVE ME!!!!

Chronologist

Feb 28, 2010
I agree. Good review, it's an honest portrayal of the game. Bonus points for talking about how some people thought that the first game was not scary.

The first game freaked me out, but I didn't enjoy replaying the game due to the predictability of scares, so maybe I'll rent Dead Space 2. Thanks Susan!

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
I don't know if you know this Susan (your review implied you didn't) but the method of habving a line point you to where you needed to be was in the first game too.

I have been corrected on what you meant. My apologies

emion

Feb 3, 2011
hell yeah, was hoping she was the one going the review on this one...much more interesting listening to thought from a girls perspective... especially when you are a guy :p

Jul 22, 2009
Vault Citizen said:
I don't know if you know this Susan (your review implied you didn't) but the method of habving a line point you to where you needed to be was in the first game too.
She's referring to how you can now choose where the line points you to. It was one of the best upgrades they gave the game.

The only problem I had with the hordes of enemies (especially in some of the much later levels) was that the encounters seemed to go on for a really long time and overstayed their welcome...

Still I really enjoyed the game, thought it was absolutely brilliant and the online is also a pretty good addition ^_^

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
GamesB2 said:
Vault Citizen said:
She's referring to how you can now choose where the line points you to. It was one of the best upgrades they gave the game.

The only problem I had with the hordes of enemies (especially in some of the much later levels) was that the encounters seemed to go on for a really long time and overstayed their welcome...

Still I really enjoyed the game, thought it was absolutely brilliant and the online is also a pretty good addition ^_^
Oh then I misunderstood.

TwistedEllipses

Nov 18, 2008
Susan's right about the initial shock of necro-morphs jumping out of places does wear off after a while and I was slightly aware that the first part was trying very hard to up the ante by leaving you defenceless, then practically defenceless (reminiscent of the start of resident evil 4).

The only thing I have to take issue with is that the objective lines were in the previous game...

EDIT: oh, she meant the ability to switch between bench/store/objective lines...

Mr. Socky

Apr 22, 2009
I really enjoyed the multiplayer, but it's not for everyone. It's quite casual, and mostly revolves around running around murdering people in hilarious ways.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
GamesB2 said:
Vault Citizen said:

Thanks for clearing that up - I guess I didn't explain myself well enough about the navigation.

And yes, I completely agree about the onslaught portions going on too long. like on the drill, for example. That needed to be about two minutes shorter. Lost all sense of tension, just became a chore.

Stevo_s

Working on Avatar
Jan 24, 2010
First game scared the living shit outta me. I was thinking the new one wouldn't, cause like you said were used to those effing monsters.
I will be a cheap bastard and wait till this game is lowered in price to 20$.
Awesome review though its good to hear the navigation system is better :]

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
I'll never understand how Dead Space is considered scary. Sure the first time I played one it was a bit scary...then it lost all tension when I realized I was completely safe whenever there wasnt that stupid music playin. Just walk walk walk...oh hey, creepy music. Guess I have to kill somethin now. Walk walk walk.

Havent really played Dead Space 2 yet, but if thats still a feature then definitly not goin to bother which is a shame cause I actually like the combat.

Jul 22, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
Thanks for clearing that up - I guess I didn't explain myself well enough about the navigation.

And yes, I completely agree about the onslaught portions going on too long. like on the drill, for example. That needed to be about two minutes shorter. Lost all sense of tension, just became a chore.
No problem ^_^ I was pretty sure it was what you meant as I thought it was an excellent addition too!

And definitely!
My worst section was going through some kind of lab (I think) where you had to make your way down 3 levels. You instantly get swarmed by tons of enemies and the fight lasted around 15 minutes for me. It was one of the few things that quite annoyed me about the endgame.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
Excellent review, Susan. I don't have it yet, but I did play the multiplayer a bit, and I thought it was a blast. Maybe a bit too repetitive, (something adding new maps and upgrades occasionally can easily fix), and stasis is a bit annoying, but it was still fun. Unfortunately, it's biggest problem is that the community probably won't last that long, as multiplayer-modes in primarily single-player games seldom do.

econael

Apr 15, 2009
I wish for a game that makes me afraid to play it :[
Sadly, it appears I cannot be scared by games (don't bother recommending titles, I've tried them all).
Takes away a lot from the game's atmosphere.
I appreciate all the improvements in Dead Space 2, it really is a better game than it's predecessor, but it gives me no reason to play it.
The delusions and the setting don't even make me uneasy, the jump-scares aren't scary, the fights aren't interesting to me....
There are awesome action sequences but too far spread out to keep me playing.
It's a pity.

Equality

Nov 8, 2007
I've nearly finished and have really enjoyed Dead Space 2. I've played on Normal because I wanted to enjoy the story instead of being held up having to repeat sections over and over because of lack of health or ammo, but this has meant that there have only been a few moments in the game where I've even started to come close to running out of either - a real shame since it adds so much more to the tension as you have to coordinate switching between weapons, reloading, running, statis, and kinesis. Also I think the suits later on in the game let you carry far too much stuff. I'd definitely recommend a higher difficulty level.

There are several things I have really appreciated about DS2 - the lack of screen clutter since health and stasis are on his back and the ammo is shown when you raise the weapon, no loading times between levels (I think many games are spoiled by this - one of the things I remember from Mass Effect 2 on xbox was how long I seemed to spend waiting for a level to load, even moving between decks on the ship required loading times), the guidance option so no need to waste time on map reading ... I just think it's a shame that the save option was done so badly.

Saving at the points involves dropping out of the game and going to the playstation save screen where you save, wait and then get back into the game. For me it acted like an advert break in the middle of a film I 'm trying to enjoy.

I rarely replay through a game on a higher level, I don't care about trophies so there's no incentive there and I almost always trade in one game to make the next game cheaper, but this game definitely makes me want to try it again just to see how I handle some of the times when it swamps you with necromorphs. Great game.

EDIT - SPOILER finished the game last night and have to say the ending was an anticlimax - a few good moments before the inevitable boss fight, which then degenerates into the almost standard - shoot three times and it's over experience. Plus I finally tried the multiplayer and it was a real let down - like the recent Aliens/Predator game. I would have liked it more with a zombies in COD/left 4 dead approach instead of having to play as necromorphs.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Agree with the review. I found the game a lot less stressful than FEAR or Dead Space, though. As in, while I jumped up at few times myself (like when all lights went out with an explosion of the steam pipes... THEN monsters jumped out when I thought the scene was just to scare me), but I kept on going. Seriously, on one point in FEAR and few times in Dead Space I just said LOL NO THANKS IMA GO BACK TO CRYSIS.

Also it's still fun to decapitate things and impale.

Senaro

Jan 5, 2008
I think the reason the Necromorphs aren't nearly as scary is because Isaac now has experience dealing with these things. He had no idea what was going on in the first game, and it was all very new and confusing.

Bonus points to the puker for vomiting out of it's throat hole after getting it's head blown off. That's some real dedication.