Review: Dead Space: Extraction

0p3rati0n

Apr 14, 2009
I was thinking of buying this game. It was pretty funny to see the scientist get decapitated. I wish that every console controller has a button that every time you press it you hear "HOLY SHIT!!!" or "PWNED *****!!!"

Sexy Street

Sep 15, 2009
Jordan Deam said:
Eric the Orange said:
bah, seems like more of the same Wii gimmicks to me. For example, that shake the controller thing. Why? that could easily been done with a button. Some may say it's more immersing but in the Wii games I've played that do similar things, it actually takes me more out of the game than into it.
Why? Because it's fun. I don't know much about game design, but I'm pretty familiar with the concept of "feedback," which is acknowledging/rewarding player actions. With the glow worm, the speaker in your Wii remote makes these noises that sound kind of like a can of spray paint when you shake it. It's kind of silly, yes, but it worked for me every time.

Then again, maybe I just like shaking stuff. :p
May I insert a masturbation joke good sir?

13lackfriday

Feb 10, 2009
Fortesque said:
So... this is a game based on a cartoon based on the events prior to Dead Space, that seems to not follow the same storyline.

I doubt this will be better than just watching Dead Space: Downfall.
Try living that cartoon.

Instead of apathetically watch those cartoon figures march off dutifully to their deaths, you're actually put in their shoes and their struggle to survive becomes your's.

Not only that, but you'll also care about the characters, not just because you're playing one of them, but becase by seeing from their perspective, the others' interactions with you become so lifelike and personal, you can't help but empathize.

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
Sexy Street said:
Jordan Deam said:
Eric the Orange said:
bah, seems like more of the same Wii gimmicks to me. For example, that shake the controller thing. Why? that could easily been done with a button. Some may say it's more immersing but in the Wii games I've played that do similar things, it actually takes me more out of the game than into it.
Why? Because it's fun. I don't know much about game design, but I'm pretty familiar with the concept of "feedback," which is acknowledging/rewarding player actions. With the glow worm, the speaker in your Wii remote makes these noises that sound kind of like a can of spray paint when you shake it. It's kind of silly, yes, but it worked for me every time.

Then again, maybe I just like shaking stuff. :p
May I insert a masturbation joke good sir?
I think you just did!

metalmmaniac

Jun 30, 2009
Byers said:
People have different taste, this is true. However, when I was 13 years old and first listened to Journey, I thought "my god, this really is as good as rock'n roll can get", and I would have argued this view endlessly to anyone willing to listen. It goes without saying that it didn't take that long until I realized my heinous mistake.
ok, definately trolling, cuz what other reason would someone have to bash on Journey? (haha, just messin)

OT: I liked Dead Space, but I do agree it was a bit generic and too many 'BOO!' scare tactics (they could've done much better with more psychological mind-fucks, IMO). The atmosphere however, was one of my favorites ever.

This rail-shooter i was very skeptical (see RE: Umbrella Chronicles) but this looks quite good and i am excited to play. I won't buy it, and i don't think its gonna sell consoles, but looks like good fun

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Byers said:
Sparrow said:
Byers said:
The original Dead Space was horrible. Why reviewers like yourself are lauding it as some kind of great accomplishment is beyond me. You really can't have very high expectations from the games you play.
Generic monsters, shallow story and characters, recycled plot, horrible camera angles, and one ugly ass space suit.

Can't say I see it getting any better by adding the barely functional control scheme of the Wii into the mix.
Funnily enough, there's this thing called taste. I'm not getting into that argument again though.

As a fan of Dead Space, I will be dusting off my Wii and giving this game a rather bitchin' playthrough.
People have different taste, this is true. However, when I was 13 years old and first listened to Journey, I thought "my god, this really is as good as rock'n roll can get", and I would have argued this view endlessly to anyone willing to listen. It goes without saying that it didn't take that long until I realized my heinous mistake.

So, there is such a thing as different taste, but there are also people with too narrow a scope and experience to properly judge how good something is. I believe people who find Dead Space to be awesome belongs in this category. No offense.
And then there are some people who simply enjoy being condescending jerks. No offense.

Dead Space (the original) certainly had flaws, but also had much to be enjoyed. If you didn't enjoy it, that's certainly perfectly valid and fair, but to claim that anyone who did enjoy it is incapable of knowing good from bad is simply absurd.

electric discordian

Apr 27, 2008
Why do people keep ragging on the Wii controls? especially on a rail shooter they are absolutely perfect! Dead Space was refreshing in terms of a setting in the implementation and the way things work out. I guess it was to gaming what alien was to film, instead of the scary house we had the starship, instead of zombies for a change we had the mutants.

I like the Wii! I like survival horror perhaps they should work more games of that type onto the system. I find having to make the characters actions in real life to be more immersive than just waggling a bit of plastic.

Byers

Nov 21, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Byers said:
Sparrow said:
Byers said:
The original Dead Space was horrible. Why reviewers like yourself are lauding it as some kind of great accomplishment is beyond me. You really can't have very high expectations from the games you play.
Generic monsters, shallow story and characters, recycled plot, horrible camera angles, and one ugly ass space suit.

Can't say I see it getting any better by adding the barely functional control scheme of the Wii into the mix.
Funnily enough, there's this thing called taste. I'm not getting into that argument again though.

As a fan of Dead Space, I will be dusting off my Wii and giving this game a rather bitchin' playthrough.

So, there is such a thing as different taste, but there are also people with too narrow a scope and experience to properly judge how good something is. I believe people who find Dead Space to be awesome belongs in this category. No offense.
And then there are some people who simply enjoy being condescending jerks. No offense.

Dead Space (the original) certainly had flaws, but also had much to be enjoyed. If you didn't enjoy it, that's certainly perfectly valid and fair, but to claim that anyone who did enjoy it is incapable of knowing good from bad is simply absurd.
Well, if I was alone in this opinion, like some kind of radical jerk, I might see your point of view. But claiming there's no way someone with a more limited exposure to a certain type of product is unable to properly judge its quality at the same level of someone with more experience in the field, is to me just as absurd.

I think I've read it best from Roger Ebert who a few months ago offered his opinion regarding the angry letters he received upon giving a less than favorable review to the movie Transformers 2:

"So let's focus on those who seriously believe "Transformers" is one of the year's best films. Are these people wrong? Yes. They are wrong. I am fond of the story I tell about Gene Siskel. When a so-called film critic defended a questionable review by saying, "after all, it's opinion," Gene told him: "There is a point when a personal opinion shades off into an error of fact. When you say 'The Valachi Papers' is a better film than 'The Godfather,' you are wrong." Quite true. We should respect differing opinions up to certain point, and then it's time for the wise to blow the whistle.
[...]
Those who think "Transformers" is a great or even a good film are, may I tactfully suggest, not sufficiently evolved. Film by film, I hope they climb a personal ladder into the realm of better films, until their standards improve. Those people contain multitudes. They deserve films that refresh the parts others do not reach. They don't need to spend a lifetime with the water only up to their toes."

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Byers said:
Susan Arendt said:
Byers said:
Sparrow said:
Byers said:

Well, if I was alone in this opinion, like some kind of radical jerk, I might see your point of view. But claiming there's no way someone with a more limited exposure to a certain type of product is unable to properly judge its quality at the same level of someone with more experience in the field, is to me just as absurd.

I think I've read it best from Roger Ebert who a few months ago offered his opinion regarding the angry letters he received upon giving a less than favorable review to the movie Transformers 2:

"So let's focus on those who seriously believe "Transformers" is one of the year's best films. Are these people wrong? Yes. They are wrong. I am fond of the story I tell about Gene Siskel. When a so-called film critic defended a questionable review by saying, "after all, it's opinion," Gene told him: "There is a point when a personal opinion shades off into an error of fact. When you say 'The Valachi Papers' is a better film than 'The Godfather,' you are wrong." Quite true. We should respect differing opinions up to certain point, and then it's time for the wise to blow the whistle.
[...]
Those who think "Transformers" is a great or even a good film are, may I tactfully suggest, not sufficiently evolved. Film by film, I hope they climb a personal ladder into the realm of better films, until their standards improve. Those people contain multitudes. They deserve films that refresh the parts others do not reach. They don't need to spend a lifetime with the water only up to their toes."
Well, certainly, if someone has only played two games in their entire life, then their point of view is going to be somewhat skewed. But to imply that anyone who likes Dead Space clearly falls into such a category simply because you don't personally like the game is absurd.

I've been reviewing games for nearly ten years and I enjoyed it. I think it had some fun ideas, created marvelous atmosphere, and provided some genuine scares. It also had some aggravating combat sequences that drove me nuts. I don't think it's a game that should be universally loved - it's not going to trip everyone's trigger - but it's a ripping good time.

So, because I enjoyed Dead Space, you would apparently assume that I don't have the breadth of experience to properly judge it. And you'd be wrong.

Byers

Nov 21, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
Byers said:
Susan Arendt said:
Byers said:
Sparrow said:
Byers said:

[...]
Well, certainly, if someone has only played two games in their entire life, then their point of view is going to be somewhat skewed. But to imply that anyone who likes Dead Space clearly falls into such a category simply because you don't personally like the game is absurd.

I've been reviewing games for nearly ten years and I enjoyed it. I think it had some fun ideas, created marvelous atmosphere, and provided some genuine scares. It also had some aggravating combat sequences that drove me nuts. I don't think it's a game that should be universally loved - it's not going to trip everyone's trigger - but it's a ripping good time.

So, because I enjoyed Dead Space, you would apparently assume that I don't have the breadth of experience to properly judge it. And you'd be wrong.
Hence my original post in this thread where I said I found it mindboggling how reviewers liked it, given the assumption that they clearly must have enough experience in the field to judge quality. Because saying Dead Space is not just a good but a great game, does, to me, sound very, very similar to calling Transformers 2 a great movie. I could go through each part of Dead Space I thought didn't work, or were poor rip-offs of far superior games, but it probably wouldn't be very interesting to have a nobody like me go over it.

It seems to me that you reacted personally to my comment in a way that perplexes me, perhaps most of all because you (as in The Escapist) pays someone to make greater and far grander generalizations regarding the game industry and public at large on a weekly basis in your most successful feature, "Zero Punctuation". (Before you reply, with words like "jokes" and "for comedic purposes", I think his new written column and his answers to the readers illustrates that he does stand by most of these convictions and is not just being flippant for flippancy's sake).

Given that, I did expect this site as a place where comments and comparisons such as the ones I made would be taken a little more irreverently. (Without in any way attempting to compare myself to the creator of ZP, something that would no doubt incur the collective wrath of the internet).

That might have been an error on my part, though I still stand by what I said.

thrubeingcool13

Sep 28, 2009
Fortesque said:
So... this is a game based on a cartoon based on the events prior to Dead Space, that seems to not follow the same storyline.

I doubt this will be better than just watching Dead Space: Downfall.
It's an entirely different story. It takes place parallel to Downfall.

thrubeingcool13

Sep 28, 2009
Byers said:
Susan Arendt said:
Byers said:
Sparrow said:
Byers said:

[...]
An opinion is a "personal belief that is not founded on proof or certainty." So why does someone having an opinion that differs from yours such a big deal? You're one of those people outside the realm of public opinion. So,honestly, no one really cares what you think.