Review: Dead to Rights: Retribution

SoulChaserJ

Sep 21, 2009
I personally like this game.. It's not the best and it's not the worst. It's just a game that as John Funk said, I will forget when I put it down. Which was precisely what I was looking for.

Warachia

Aug 11, 2009
wow, good thing slate had all those jars of raspberry jam in his shoulders, otherwise those 99 liters of blood would have to belong to him.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
Bennet the sage said this game was aweful and pretty much said what you said but with more hatred. Hopefully yatzhee reviews this one so we can have a flame review like alone in the dark or Too human.

amendele

Aug 25, 2008
Look on the bright side John, if they ever need a new quote for the box, the people who made it can write, "Dead to Rights: Retribution...not as bad as Gundam SEED Destiny!"

darknight910

Apr 15, 2008
amendele said:
Look on the bright side John, if they ever need a new quote for the box, the people who made it can write, "Dead to Rights: Retribution...not as bad as Gundam SEED Destiny!"
No, other way around, John would rather watch Gundam SEED Destiny over this blander-than-white-bread game.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
So it's a generic, completely unremarkable remake of a generic, completely unremarkable game from the last gen. Who thought this would be a good idea? It's not like the previous Dead to Rights game was brimming with wasted potential.

Jaranja said:
HK_01 said:
Hahaha, at first I thought the dog's fight against crime became personal because his father was murdered! Now that would have been remarkable.
We need this game, now!
The cold wind of the city blows against my fur, bringing the scent wet concrete and human urine to my nostrills. This is my city, where I've tagged every lamppost, and I hear its hearbeat. As I lay over my father's limp corpse, murcilessly discombobulated by the wandering unmarked van, I think of only one thing: revenge. I will never forget my father's dead bark, as his puppy eyes lifted at me, and he pronounced his last words:

"Woof."

Dendred

Sep 11, 2008
So you got this guy that has already admited that his segment is going to be about this game next week and yet you make anouther video segment on the same game (on the same site no less)a week ahead of time, making the already anounced review redundent. Why is this? Theres no reason for it. I know for a fact that the zero puncuation reviews are scheduled (lossly) weeks ahead off time. And that the editor is privileged to this information. This has happened before to. Dose this keep happening because that review series is getting to much attention? Because if it is let me remind you that the one thing carrying this site is still zero puncuation.

Explain please.

GodKlown

Dec 16, 2009
I rented this game last week, and found myself of the same opinion as Funk. So it was nice to get a clean headshot on a guy with a sniper rifle in an office building, and it was funny the first time Shadow bit some guy's nuts off... but that's about it. I nearly couldn't tell the difference between this version and the original, save for the fact they did away with the annoying bomb disarming minigame.
This game makes me worry about the remake of True Crime. If more remakes are just going to be the same old game with a fresh coat of HD (or even 3D) paint, that isn't saying much for the technological advances video games have made since the originals of these games were first out. What's next? A FPS version of Contra?

Dr. Danger

Let's Talk Lobotomy
Dec 24, 2008
ForgottenPr0digy said:
why type of dog is shadow?
Shadow is a wolf x alaskan malamute.

OT: I rented this game last week and I have to admitt, I nearly fell asleep during my first playing of it. It was all so dull. The graphics, the character, and the gameplay. It's only redeeming quality was the dog and all of his exploits were fun albeit shortlived. I ended up forgetting about the game until the day before it was due back so I played it for maybe fifteen more minutes before deciding I had seen it all. Honestly, wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

BUT my first achievement in the game was "Scrotality" which was hilarious.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Dendred said:
So you got this guy that has already admited that his segment is going to be about this game next week and yet you make anouther video segment on the same game (on the same site no less)a week ahead of time, making the already anounced review redundent. Why is this? Theres no reason for it. I know for a fact that the zero puncuation reviews are scheduled (lossly) weeks ahead off time. And that the editor is privileged to this information. This has happened before to. Dose this keep happening because that review series is getting to much attention? Because if it is let me remind you that the one thing carrying this site is still zero puncuation.

Explain please.
Uh, Zero Punctuation is an entertainment series, much like, say, Unskippable. He's certainly a critic, and I can see why you'd see overlap between ZP and our actual official reviews, but the two have nothing to do with each other. Our reviews are our reviews, Yahtzee and ZP are Yahtzee and ZP.

Zero Punctuation and The Escapist's game reviews are not the same thing, just like Zero Punctuation and Unskippable are not the same thing.

And while nobody's denying that ZP is a huge traffic draw, I think you'll find that there's a lot of traffic that goes to the rest of the site, too ;)

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
So anyone who recently played a cover shooter and thought it was too short, play this?

Mysnomer

Nov 11, 2009
Ironically, even being so generic that your blandness is the only noticeable factor is no longer that special. Even that status is cliche and overdone. Think on that for a moment, and after you've managed to wrap your head around the meta, weep for humanity (or at least the comparatively narrow subsection that produces videogames).

Dendred

Sep 11, 2008
John Funk said:
Dendred said:

Explain please.
Uh, Zero Punctuation is an entertainment series, much like, say, Unskippable. He's certainly a critic, and I can see why you'd see overlap between ZP and our actual official reviews, but the two have nothing to do with each other. Our reviews are our reviews, Yahtzee and ZP are Yahtzee and ZP.

Zero Punctuation and The Escapist's game reviews are not the same thing, just like Zero Punctuation and Unskippable are not the same thing.

And while nobody's denying that ZP is a huge traffic draw, I think you'll find that there's a lot of traffic that goes to the rest of the site, too ;)
I can see the professionalism in this response, but let me make this prefectly clear without showing my work. YOUR WRONG! Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong! In every consevible way you responed.

And if you object to this, please by all means tell me so I can work on putting into words the amount of BS you just presented to me with.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Dendred said:
John Funk said:
Dendred said:

Explain please.

I can see the professionalism in this response, but let me make this prefectly clear without showing my work. YOUR WRONG! Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong Wrong! In every consevible way you responed.

And if you object to this, please by all means tell me so I can work on putting into words the amount of BS you just presented to me with.
...no, I'm not wrong. In fact, I'm right in pretty much every possible way :) Yahtzee is in Australia which traditionally gets releases after the US, it takes him longer to do one video than it does us (we do two review videos a week). Pretty much every title he's taken under the knife, we've reviewed before him simply because it takes him longer to crank it out.

But us giving an actual review of the game (instead of Yahtzee's trademark style of accentuating the negative) doesn't in any way make ZP less awesome or entertaining.

Again, our schedules have nothing to do with each other.

If you somehow object to this, I don't know what to tell you other than that you simply don't seem to understand how it works.