Review: Demigod

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Review: Demigod

Demigod makes for some of the best PC multiplayer action we've seen since Team Fortress 2.

Read Full Article

Rhayn

Free of All Weakness
Jul 8, 2008
I'm still on the fence about this game.

I do so like the looks of it, and it seems to be indeed quite fun to play. But I do so horribly suck at multiplayer games, be it FPS or RTS. I don't want to spend 50? on something that I start up, and get my ass kicked multiple times without any end in sight, as it is every time I try to play an RTS online.

Yeah, I guess I could play single player, but I suspect that will quickly lose it's novelty once I've tried all the Demigods. Perhaps I'll pick it up if I see it on discount in a few years, but right now... I don't think so.

neuromasser

Jan 20, 2009
Rhayn said:

I do so like the looks of it, and it seems to be indeed quite fun to play. But I do so horribly suck at multiplayer games, be it FPS or RTS. I don't want to spend 50? on something that I start up, and get my ass kicked multiple times without any end in sight, as it is every time I try to play an RTS online.

Yeah, I guess I could play single player, but I suspect that will quickly lose it's novelty once I've tried all the Demigods. Perhaps I'll pick it up if I see it on discount in a few years, but right now... I don't think so.
Why don't you try demo? Maybe Demigod suits your style :/

Rhayn

Free of All Weakness
Jul 8, 2008
neuromasser said:
Why don't you try demo? Maybe Demigod suits your style :/
I would, but apparently the demo is yet to be released.

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
I'm sooo getting this game. Has had my eyes on it ever since I heard about it. I love DotA, so i can't wait to try this out.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
I wanted to try this game. I won't, however, buy a game blindly for $50.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
I agree that they really ought to release a demo. I (obviously) thought the game was awesome. However, I do understand that it might only cater to a certain selection of gamers (the type who would enjoy DotA). Unfortunately, with PC games, can't "Rent before you buy."

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
I agree that they really ought to release a demo. I (obviously) thought the game was awesome. However, I do understand that it might only cater to a certain selection of gamers (the type who would enjoy DotA). Unfortunately, with PC games, can't "Rent before you buy."
And then they complain that people pirate the game.

Guess what - a lot less people would pirate if you gave the demo!

a) if they liked the game, they would still buy it
b) if they didn't like, they wouldn't play it
c) they are just assholes.

There are a lot of c) players, but a) and b)'s might get hurt because of no demo version.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Rhayn said:

To be fair, its more akin to an RPG - can be hard, to be sure, if your playing against a well organized enemy, but fun and winnable - and I hate online RTS's too ;).

The beauty part is the fact that you only have 1 unit to control yourself, see? Very little necessary micromanagement, so you have time to actually think about your strategy instead of micro-managing the enemy to death.

Spuddo

Dec 18, 2007
As a long time DotA player, I've had my eye on this for a while. Will most definately be getting it, methinks

Curtmiester

Jan 13, 2009
I think I'll have to at least give the demo a try but ya this game looks pretty fun and I do need a new pc game.

Rhayn

Free of All Weakness
Jul 8, 2008
Doug said:
To be fair, its more akin to an RPG - can be hard, to be sure, if your playing against a well organized enemy, but fun and winnable - and I hate online RTS's too ;).

The beauty part is the fact that you only have 1 unit to control yourself, see? Very little necessary micromanagement, so you have time to actually think about your strategy instead of micro-managing the enemy to death.
Hm, that does indeed sound to be quite managable. Perhaps I'll pick it up anyway.

Not to mention I'll be suporting DRM free games if I do, right?

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Rhayn said:
Doug said:

Hm, that does indeed sound to be quite managable. Perhaps I'll pick it up anyway.

Not to mention I'll be suporting DRM free games if I do, right?
True ;) And slight qualifier to my statement - the "General" type units do get a few units in the course of battle that you can control, if you really really want to - but the auto control on them is fine and I've only used it once so far, heh.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Tenmar said:
Hmm interesting. I might have to pick this up if I see the game on sale in the US or online. But what about the multiplayer Funk? Can you have multiple teammates like 3v3 or 2v2 or even 4v4?
Yep, you sure can. I've seen 2v2s up to 5v5s. :)