Review: Demon's Souls

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
nice, great review.
i like the fact that while the game is tough, its fair.
though i dont like most games where you haft to buy your next lv, DS makes it work.
Hopefully ill get to play it.
Im looking forward to your next game announcment and review.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
It's always comforting to know that Atlus maintains a strong tradition of actually making difficult games to go with good stories.

I will never forget the moment in Persona 4 when, after grinding and gaining 5 levels, I went one floor too high in the dungeon and got curb stomped. Game over, would you like to load your last save? It had literally been years since a game slapped me that hard.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
How did I go so long without hearing about this game? I didn't know it existed until I saw an advert for it yesterday.
It sounds like the sort of game I'd like, though it also sounds like I'd need to devote a lot of time to it, maybe I'll mark it down for my summer games next year.

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
Actually it's not that extremely hard. Just be cautious, keep your shield up and raise your vitality as high as possible.

Curtmiester

Jan 13, 2009
That hint system is awesome. I might see if I can rent this game, course I'd probably still break the disk in angry and swear words.

ila

Jul 29, 2008
I've been waiting on this one for awhile. While I've had the temptation to just import one of the version in English, I figured Atlus would pick this one up eventually. I love a good dungeon crawl (or roguelike... I hate that word) so this seems like something that will keep my PS3 occupied for awhile.

...when October arrives. Sigh.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Something I neglected to mention in the review is that, unlike in Oblivion, your stamina (the green bar) actually matters. Run out of stamina, and you're staggered until you get a bit back. Swinging your weapon, blocking, running, getting hit, all of these use up stamina. So it's quite easy to find yourself in the middle of a knot of enemies, suddenly unable to do anything but watch in horror as you're shredded because you ran out of stamina. So it's not quite as simple as just blocking. :)

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
Finally a game to make those young whipper snappers learn their place. I think I'll be picking this game up.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Maybe I'm just jaded but when I think of interactions with others online my thoughts are more of them being dicks then them being helpful.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Great review as always.
As for the game itself.... eh, very hard to choose wheter I would love or hate it.
I'm really bad with dealing with failure, especially if it's unfair, but then again I also managed to beat Ninja Gaiden on xbox on all dificulty levels because I refused to let a game beat me. And yes, when you manage to get as good as to breeze through a level or boss fight without getting hit, it does make you feel really godlike. :)

My question; if you get really good at the game (like with Ninja Gaiden where you needed to get into the flow of the game) does the unfairness factor go down? I.e. does it keep you crying bitter tears through to the end, or does it eventually let up a tad?

Also, how many hours of gameplay are we looking at?

Dody16

Jan 24, 2008
Good Review.
I've played the game as well and I agree.
Awesome game, but don't play it if you have a tendency to destroy things every time you lose in a game. you will probably end up destroying everything you own.

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
Lord_Gremlin said:
ssgt splatter said:
Hi!......and "hi" to you too. HA! That was funny.
The most frequent message is, as far as I noticed, "it's harsh. Evacuate me.")
I usually find the message "white sticky stuff", usually clustered around the female NPCs

I have been playing this game for a good few months now and I still love it

Monocle Man

Apr 14, 2009
Still no European publisher, I presume?

Import it is.
Better figure out whether I can use paypal through bank transactions since I have this special credit card that isn't supported by any site.
EDIT/ Quite amusing, Amazon is not willing to ship that particular game to an address outside the US. As if the gods are mocking me.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Kenjitsuka said:
Great review as always.
As for the game itself.... eh, very hard to choose wheter I would love or hate it.
I'm really bad with dealing with failure, especially if it's unfair, but then again I also managed to beat Ninja Gaiden on xbox on all dificulty levels because I refused to let a game beat me. And yes, when you manage to get as good as to breeze through a level or boss fight without getting hit, it does make you feel really godlike. :)

My question; if you get really good at the game (like with Ninja Gaiden where you needed to get into the flow of the game) does the unfairness factor go down? I.e. does it keep you crying bitter tears through to the end, or does it eventually let up a tad?

Also, how many hours of gameplay are we looking at?
Ok, let me stress this -- while the game is very hard, it is never unfair. Yes, there are sneak attacks and traps, but when you die, it's not because the game is being cheap. I will say that at times the camera works against you, making it hard to see what you're fighting, but I don't personally count that as unfair.

If do very well in the game, the game gets easier and the loot becomes crappier. Conversely, if you fare poorly, the game gets harder, but the loot gets better. This is known as the world's "tendency" (light is easy, dark is hard). So the difficulty can adjust, yes, but let me be clear: Demon's Souls does not let up. You will never be able to relax. You will find, though, as you begin to understand the game, that areas you once found impossible become child's play. Not so much because you've leveled up, but because you're in the proper mindset. It's kind of difficult to explain.

Oh, and as for interactions with other players -- yeah, I assume people are going to be jerks, too, which is why it makes me glad to say that the messages I found were, in almost every case, quite helpful and well-meant.

messy

Dec 3, 2008
I was quite curious about this game. I figured the combat (since I heard the words; very hard) would be like DMC or ninja gaiden whereas this seems kind of wooden similar to baldurs gate so I may give it a miss.

sunpop

Oct 23, 2008
Well when I get this I suppose I will be the last one to make it to the boss for I will make base camp at each level and grind out for awhile. If I find one room that's better for grinding I will drop a note.