Review: Demon's Souls

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
HyenaThePirate said:
I'm not quite sure I like the PK aspect of a game that is already raising eyebrows with it's difficulty level, but you also mentioned something about it being a "Slow paced" game and that made me curious.
Do you mean it's slow as in not as many enemies because you are exploring an environment trying to solve puzzles and figure out how to survive traps? Or is it that the combat is slow and methodical, like the combat in Conan could sometimes be where you and the enemy circled each other feinting and striking, hoping to gain an advantage in some sort of deadly duel?
Hey Hyena, doesn't look like anyone fielded your question about the PK aspect yet, so I thought I'd help. The only time another player can enter your game is when you're alive. So if you're a soul, no worries! And believe me, you'll be running around as a soul quite abit (it's not that bad, your at half health at first but then you find an item that increases it to 3/4ths health, and you're actually abit stronger). Worst case scenario, someone kills you and you'll just be a soul again. Hell, the predatory ghost has more to lose from entering your game to kill you than you do, because if you kill them, then they will lose a point off their highest stat! You don't lose anything save for your body, and hey no big deal there. Also, the game does let you know when your area has been 'invaded', so you can prepare accordingly.

Honestly dude, I recommend giving this a shot. I can't play this Ninja Gaiden without breaking a controller, but I love this game. The pace is definitely slow, in a very methodical sense. And you wondered before if other player's messages might break the game, well the game is built around this. It's not an after thought, there are traps around, and these traps may kill you without much warning! Luckily, you'll have messages to read (they're not so in depth that they spoil things, but they'll definitely give you a heads up), and bloodstains can't be disregarded either. Most of the time they'll show you a ghostly image of someone getting their ass kicked, but every once in awhile they'll help telegraph a nasty trap. The game is made fully aware of these things. thus nothing is every too unfair or too gamebreaking. Hope this all helps.

Also, forgot to mention that if a 'black phantom' (other player trying to kill) invades your game, you can summon two white phantoms (other players to help you out) to back you up. Games not quite as ball busting as it's made out to be.

HyenaThePirate

Jan 8, 2009
AgentNein said:
HyenaThePirate said:
I'm not quite sure I like the PK aspect of a game that is already raising eyebrows with it's difficulty level, but you also mentioned something about it being a "Slow paced" game and that made me curious.
Do you mean it's slow as in not as many enemies because you are exploring an environment trying to solve puzzles and figure out how to survive traps? Or is it that the combat is slow and methodical, like the combat in Conan could sometimes be where you and the enemy circled each other feinting and striking, hoping to gain an advantage in some sort of deadly duel?
Hey Hyena, doesn't look like anyone fielded your question about the PK aspect yet, so I thought I'd help. The only time another player can enter your game is when you're alive. So if you're a soul, no worries! And believe me, you'll be running around as a soul quite abit (it's not that bad, your at half health at first but then you find an item that increases it to 3/4ths health, and you're actually abit stronger). Worst case scenario, someone kills you and you'll just be a soul again. Hell, the predatory ghost has more to lose from entering your game to kill you than you do, because if you kill them, then they will lose a point off their highest stat! You don't lose anything save for your body, and hey no big deal there. Also, the game does let you know when your area has been 'invaded', so you can prepare accordingly.

Honestly dude, I recommend giving this a shot. I can't play this Ninja Gaiden without breaking a controller, but I love this game. The pace is definitely slow, in a very methodical sense. And you wondered before if other player's messages might break the game, well the game is built around this. It's not an after thought, there are traps around, and these traps may kill you without much warning! Luckily, you'll have messages to read (they're not so in depth that they spoil things, but they'll definitely give you a heads up), and bloodstains can't be disregarded either. Most of the time they'll show you a ghostly image of someone getting their ass kicked, but every once in awhile they'll help telegraph a nasty trap. The game is made fully aware of these things. thus nothing is every too unfair or too gamebreaking. Hope this all helps.

Also, forgot to mention that if a 'black phantom' (other player trying to kill) invades your game, you can summon two white phantoms (other players to help you out) to back you up. Games not quite as ball busting as it's made out to be.
Thanks for clearing that up! That SOUNDS more awesome! I do have some other questions..
If a phantom invades my game, can they be killed by accidentally setting off the same traps?
Do they enter as Souls? Or ALive? Is there ever really even a REASON to stay "alive"? It sounds like you are better off just playing through DEAD the whole time. When black phantoms enter the world, can you hide from them or do they essentially spawn right on top of you? do they have to seek you out?

Otherwise, I think all of you may have convinced me to give this game a go, although I'm wondering if it is out in North America because I havent seen many people playing it and I havent seen it at the local game stores. Thanks!

AgentNein

Jun 14, 2008
HyenaThePirate said:
AgentNein said:
HyenaThePirate said:

Thanks for clearing that up! That SOUNDS more awesome! I do have some other questions..
If a phantom invades my game, can they be killed by accidentally setting off the same traps?
Do they enter as Souls? Or ALive? Is there ever really even a REASON to stay "alive"? It sounds like you are better off just playing through DEAD the whole time. When black phantoms enter the world, can you hide from them or do they essentially spawn right on top of you? do they have to seek you out?

Otherwise, I think all of you may have convinced me to give this game a go, although I'm wondering if it is out in North America because I havent seen many people playing it and I havent seen it at the local game stores. Thanks!

Okay, to your first question: I'm honestly not sure. I've never had the nerve to invade somebody elses game and possibly lose one of my hard earned stat points. What I do know is that enemies will ignore them, I'm ASSUMING traps can still kill them (as they kill me all the time when I'm a spirit).

Yes, they enter as a spirit. There whole objective to entering in to your game to kill you is to get back their body. They don't start on top of you, they start I believe at the beginning of the stage, and there's a good chance that you'll be through with the area (or a better chance you'll be dead because of an enemy) before they find you.

The one thing is, when you're alive you make a lot of clicking and clacking noises what with your armor and all while spirits stay silent, thus giving them a bit of a jump on you.

As for the upside to being alive, like I mentioned before you can summon other players as spirits to help you in the game (which you can't do when you're a spirit yourself, and believe me this is helpful when trying to tackle some of these worlds), and if you kill a boss demon with them, they get their bodies back. Also you might enjoy PvP! I know I do from time to time.

Dharlas

Nov 15, 2009
AgentNein said:
HyenaThePirate said:
AgentNein said:
HyenaThePirate said:

Okay, to your first question: I'm honestly not sure. I've never had the nerve to invade somebody elses game and possibly lose one of my hard earned stat points. What I do know is that enemies will ignore them, I'm ASSUMING traps can still kill them (as they kill me all the time when I'm a spirit).

Yes, they enter as a spirit. There whole objective to entering in to your game to kill you is to get back their body. They don't start on top of you, they start I believe at the beginning of the stage, and there's a good chance that you'll be through with the area (or a better chance you'll be dead because of an enemy) before they find you.

The one thing is, when you're alive you make a lot of clicking and clacking noises what with your armor and all while spirits stay silent, thus giving them a bit of a jump on you.

As for the upside to being alive, like I mentioned before you can summon other players as spirits to help you in the game (which you can't do when you're a spirit yourself, and believe me this is helpful when trying to tackle some of these worlds), and if you kill a boss demon with them, they get their bodies back. Also you might enjoy PvP! I know I do from time to time.
Ok Guys lemme clear some gray area for ya, as well a few of my misconceptions.
First some Blue Phantom info:
1. The way the multiplayer works is that as a Human when you enter a level you see blue marking allowing you to summon another player to come out and help you, so you can pick and choose
2.I never noticed that when summoning Blue Phantoms that you don't get souls, but i never really summon any so i cannot say forsure, but i DO know for a fact that no matter what happens if you are a blue phantom all of the souls you collect are still there, to my knowledge that even counts death by enviroment (falling, traps, etc.) so don't fear death, embrace it....then start again
3.There is currently no proof or disproof that your friends in your friends list have a better chance of thier stone being noticed which is a crying shame i might add, for a game meant for online play they should have a function to warp to a buddies world to help him out.
4.Blue Phantoms still only have half HP unless you use a cling ring which its then 75% HP, but as previously stated as long as you kill things and do your best you still come out on top, and rating only affects how people THINK of how good you are, you could destroy a boss and some ass will still only give you a C so ranks mean nothing.

WARNING!!! Potential Secret Spoiler!!!!

5.Some areas have what i like to call a "Special Event" where if you offer yourself as a Blue Phantom something special will happen, Take area 3-1 for example, on an off chance you offer yourself as a Blue Phantom, you will become a Black one instead, being summoned by some old guy in a stack of chairs, it nets you a new headgear that increases Magic attack but lowers resistance to magic, and is WAY too big, like you can't see over it, and then your trapped in a room waiting for the human to open up the fog so you'll both fight, by the way your health is filled to the max like if your still human and then DOUBLED, yes doubled. Unfortunatly i don't know any other Special Events yet

Now for Black Phantoms:
1.You can ONLY become a black phantom from one way (excluding special events) and that's by killing a black phantom, now it doesn't neccesarily mean another player, it can be an NPC Phantom as well, yes they exist but only in black soul tendancy, and there are 2 kinds, 1 Generic more often than not there WILL be more than one so becareful, not much of a problem, block/parry strike back up fling magic, whatever might kill you in one to 4 hits but thats what a shield is for. 2 I call them "Mimic Phantoms" because they simply mimic a friendly NPC that you might find in that area or entire level (ex. 1-1 to 1-4) so far they only appear in events where you save thier mimic, Saint Urbain is one, but more often than not they only appear during black soul tendancy, but if you are not in -3 soul tendancy (black) then watch out because they WILL kill you without good strategy, AKA RUN LIKE HELL, then pick them off like a sissy school girl. So remember, Generic means that another is around the corner, Mimics are usually around an area for saving a friendly, Ostrava of Boletaria seems to be an exception.
2. When becoming a Black Phantom, i personally have not proven or disproven that you always start in the beginning area of the archstone area you went to, because when i become a black phantom, i always just start invading from the beginning spot, also the armor jingling as a human, gives you as much of an edge as having heavy armor in this game, so unless you like taking damage from not being able to dodge, then none at all, its barely noticable, and if it is then they are either really dense, or congrats, you MAY win, potentially.
3.Black Phantoms are most certantly dead, they are not alive, so either half or 3/4 of thier health, you will have a slight advantage over them, unless they devoted all of thier souls to HP, which seems like a good idea, nearly all the time.
4.Yes they invade to kill you, to become re-born in thier own world, thus making them available for invasion, nothing says revenge like dying then coming back to haunt them, trust me its ALOT of fun when yo get revenge within like 10 min? Oh little helpful hint, you WILL know when they are appearing in your world, you will get a nice little info bar saying "You are being invaded by " in nice black and red border and letters
5.Invading is fun, they will never always see you, and same goes for them, so use your camera to look around suspicious corners or overhangs, because they KNOW your there, just not where and they will kick the crap out of you, just as you are trying to do the same to them, but they can summon thier buddies.
6.Lastly i believe too, to my current knowledge traps do NOTHING, but this has only been tested with level 4-1's arrow traps, you can set them off but they just go through you, BUT falling off a ledge WILL CAUSE YOU TO LOSE A SOUL LEVEL AT RANDOM, so be VERY CAREFUL about that,the requirement goes down to what it was 1 soul level ago, but if you have a weapon that you JUST meed the requirments to use, and then you lose said requirement stat point, congrats, and this strengths Law #3 always have backup equipment, ok i made that last part up. OH! and i have not noticed gaining any souls from killing a human, but rumor is you get one equal to thier soul level, but then again that also may just be with the Red Eye Stone, only one way to obtain but its a spoiler so request for me to put it up or search for yourself.
Thats all i think, but all my characters are either Dharla (for female chars) or Dharlas (for male chars) so if i kill you, come complain on here, cause its like a trophy case to me :D

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
I live in an alternate dimension of reality where Leonard Nemoy had a goatee and the human race is enslaved by evil aliens forcing us to buy houses with no-down interest-only loans. We have Demon's Souls just like you do, exactly like yours, except for one difference: we can save the game at any point.

I'd like to comment on our version of Demon's Souls.

Graphics: if you like creepy, bleak, and ugly images, then there is plenty to like about Demon's Souls. But for a PS3 exclusive the graphics are sub-par even by 360 port standards. Textures are fair but polygon count is low. Visuals outside our immediate linear pathway are blurry. Animations are leaden, and the rag doll dead bodies are laughable.

Sound: Contributes to the creepy, bleak feeling.

UI: Is taken straight out of the mid-90's, and feels very 16-bit.

Controls: Movements and responsiveness are good. But targeting is clunky, camera positioning can be problematic, and zooming out in open spaces would be nice.

AI: rock bottom. You enter an enemies threat radius and they charge you, and that's it. All enemies spawn in the exact same place every time and do nothing but stand there until you arrive.

Multiplayer: While the "ghosts" contribute to the creepy atmosphere, it doesn't help you much other than maybe alert you to a monster closet ahead. Similarly, all messages boil down to: "Heads up!" or "Please recommend this message so I can get a heal." The text generator approximates but never quite precisely expresses what you mean to say.

I see that in your reality, most game reviewers focus on the difficulty and rarely get past that, not really ever critiquing the games other elements, including its shortcomings. Indeed if there were no save function I imagine it must be frustrating. With a save function, its challenge is moderate but not particularly noteworthy.

In our world, Demon's Souls is an okay-but-outdated RPG, commendable only for its strong sense of style. The absence of a save feature I imagine would make it stand out among videogames, but I'm not convinced that should be regarded as a positive.