Review: Disgaea (DS)

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Review: Disgaea (DS)

Strategy-RPG fans: Your prayers have been answered.

Read Full Article

Break

And you are?
Sep 10, 2007
Correction: this game has already been ported to the PSP, so the DS version isn't exactly their first look into handhelds. Also, I would say that the young hero is tasked to take over the world, more than save it. And the camera can be irritating when you drop your cursor down a hole, or on top of a wall, etc. etc. Otherwise, pleasant review of a lovely game. I have an insatiable appetetite for Nippon Ichi SRPGs, and I'm building up excuses to buy this, despite the 70 hours plus on my PS2 copy. Which isn't actually that much for something like this. I mean, I've got 120 hours on Disgaea 2, and even more on Makai Kingdom. So it's not like I've gotten everything out of D1 already, so it should be fine to buy the DS version, right?

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
I would also pitch in that Disgaea has, by comparison, much much less emphasis on story and generally less character customization than the other Tactical RPGs on the DS. The main 'campaign' is also fairly short, if you decide to push through the storyline directly. It makes up for it by being incredibly charming and humorous, and having incredibly addictive gameplay.

With the way the randomized dungeons in the item world work, which is actually a big part of the potential gameplay, the game has similar replayability to Rogue-likes.

Also, a question - in the PSP version there is an option to start a campaign in 'Etna Mode' once you've completed the game once, where you play through a shortened, modified version of the main story buy with Etna as the main character. It's really well done too, new voiceovers and all. Is this present in the DS version?

Beowulf DW

Jul 12, 2008
I'm an SRPG junky and you are a life saver, SimuLord. I've been seeking out SRPGs to hold me over until Fire Emblem DS.

roblikestoskate

Oct 16, 2008
I've heard things about lag and disappointingly compressed graphics and sound on the DS version of the game. Disgaea fans, which version do you prefer and why? I'd like to know more about the versions' relative merits before I buy the game.

olicon

May 8, 2008
Ah, Disgaea DS. I tried it out a little bit, and was hopelessly addicted to the point that I have to put it far far away. The item world is terrific for grinding maniac like myself. Too good, in fact, that I would have sunk an infinite amount of time into the game.
But one day, when the world is out of other games to play..then I'll pick it up again, and play myself to infinity and beyond!

Ocelano

Apr 14, 2009
roblikestoskate said:
I've heard things about lag and disappointingly compressed graphics and sound on the DS version of the game. Disgaea fans, which version do you prefer and why? I'd like to know more about the versions' relative merits before I buy the game.
graphics and sound are definitely not as good on the ds version while the psp version is comparable to the ps2 one that said the ds has a few bonus characters the psp doesn't have and the prinny commentary on the top screen both of which almost make it worth taking that first loss to midboss an purpose