Review: Donkey Kong Country Returns

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
uro vii said:
Susan Arendt said:
True, but they're more appropriate than a friggin' squirrel.
well actually.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jungle_Palm_Squirrel

- Squirrel'd! -
So actually that is the most appropriate animal in the game. Thhhaaaaaat's amusing!

Jacob.pederson

Jul 25, 2006
Shaking to pound the ground, break rocks, or go into a roll feels completely natural and fluid and doesn't get in the way of the platforming.

Um, no, not one bit. Shaking would have been ok for JUST rolling or JUST ground pounding, but to use it for both is plain bad design. I've lost count of how many balloons I've lost by rolling neatly into pits next to thing I wanted to be ground pounding. Additionally, rolling does not function as it did in the original game. In the original, you could roll through infinity enemies, killing them all. In the new game, you roll through the first two, then die on the third? How does that make sense?

Other nit-picks: Diddy is overpowered. Seriously, he gets a jetpack AND a gun? What does Donkey get? Nothing. To compound this issue, single player doesn't feature the awesome high-fiving character switch mechanic from the orginal game. That's right, you can't play as Diddy at all without a partner. Boo.

I do agree that overall this is an excellent game btw. I just feel like some of the control and character design decisions are nonsensical at best.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
uro vii said:
Susan Arendt said:
True, but they're more appropriate than a friggin' squirrel.
well actually.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jungle_Palm_Squirrel

Well, cover me in bananas and call me a monkey. I guess the squirrels really do belong there! I have been boggled. BOGGLED!

:D

team star pug

Sep 29, 2009
The game looks good, but god escapist please replace the reviewer, as her voice drives me nuts and the way she says puns or asks retoricle questions is really annoying.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
team star pug said:
The game looks good, but god escapist please replace the reviewer, as her voice drives me nuts and the way she says puns or asks retoricle questions is really annoying.
Yeah, not terribly likely, I'm afraid. Don't watch the video, then, just read.

Generic_Dave

Prelate Invigilator
Jul 15, 2009
@ Susan, they have Squirrels in the jungles in Malaysia...I never knew until I went. I suppose documentaries and tv shows focus on the exotic and unknown, and forgo the more mundane creatures we are familiar with....

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
Jacob.pederson said:
Shaking to pound the ground, break rocks, or go into a roll feels completely natural and fluid and doesn't get in the way of the platforming.

Um, no, not one bit. Shaking would have been ok for JUST rolling or JUST ground pounding, but to use it for both is plain bad design. I've lost count of how many balloons I've lost by rolling neatly into pits next to thing I wanted to be ground pounding. Additionally, rolling does not function as it did in the original game. In the original, you could roll through infinity enemies, killing them all. In the new game, you roll through the first two, then die on the third? How does that make sense?

Other nit-picks: Diddy is overpowered. Seriously, he gets a jetpack AND a gun? What does Donkey get? Nothing. To compound this issue, single player doesn't feature the awesome high-fiving character switch mechanic from the orginal game. That's right, you can't play as Diddy at all without a partner. Boo.

I do agree that overall this is an excellent game btw. I just feel like some of the control and character design decisions are nonsensical at best.
That's never happened to me. Maybe my analog stick is in good condition? I'm sure playing with the wii remote sideways solves that issue, but I can see how that would happen. The problem that I've had a couple of times is when you want to transition from one motion controlled action to another, you have to stop shaking the remote, wait for DK to go idle, then do the other action.

Also, if you have Diddy, you can do the infinite roll thing (and not just through enemies) and not being able to do it without him is not really something to complain about. The difficulty that adds is more than countered by the double health, and there's a bigger emphasis on jump combo-ing

It is kinda stupid that Diddy gets two utilities and Donkey gets none. Maybe they assumed that P2 would be the worse player.

Jacob.pederson

Jul 25, 2006
Electrogecko said:
That's never happened to me. Maybe my analog stick is in good condition? I'm sure playing with the wii remote sideways solves that issue, but I can see how that would happen. The problem that I've had a couple of times is when you want to transition from one motion controlled action to another, you have to stop shaking the remote, wait for DK to go idle, then do the other action.

Also, if you have Diddy, you can do the infinite roll thing (and not just through enemies) and not being able to do it without him is not really something to complain about. The difficulty that adds is more than countered by the double health, and there's a bigger emphasis on jump combo-ing

It is kinda stupid that Diddy gets two utilities and Donkey gets none. Maybe they assumed that P2 would be the worse player.
I am using the Wiimote sideways, maybe I should give the analog stick a try. They were right that p2 would be the worse player I think. My nine-year-old is playing Diddy for me currently, and I'm constantly going, "dang your OP," when he shoots someone across the screen. I really have to show some skill in coop mode, cause without Diddy riding my back, the roll/jump become my only option to get across certain gaps.

I like the jump combo-ing where coins start to pop out after the 3rd hit. That is a nice touch.

Jacob.pederson

Jul 25, 2006
Tim Latshaw said:
It feels like challenging platformers are coming back into vogue. I'm liking this trend.
I'm still waiting for my HD Castlevania or Metriod title back into 2d, although the DS Castlevania's where AWESOME and all.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
The game looks really nice (im all about the visuals) but didnt evil, mind controling Tikis have a key role in another jungle based, platforming game concerning a certain Bandicoot, not that I really care as I never really played either, being slightly younger then most DK and Crash fans.

Still I have room in my heart for Bioshock and Fallout so slight similarities are not really a problem for me, especially if there the good ones. I played the Crash game that was on the Xbox 360 (the one with the mutants) and had loads of fun (again the visuals were really nice) so may give this a try.

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
Electrogecko said:
SnipErlite said:
Bet it isn't as good as the Gameboy colour one :) That was a bastard hard game, but damn fun.

Although it's good to see this is potentially on par with it. (Y)
Wasn't the GBC version a low quality remake of the SNES version? [big snip]
*shrug* I don't know, quite probably. Nonetheless it was an awesome game and I very much enjoyed it :p

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
teh_Canape said:
I may look like a douche or something here...

but in my opinion, there can't be Donkey Kong Country without Vectorman

*vectorman remake, sega? lay sonic off and bring up the green balls guy?"
I remember reading a long time ago that they planned on making a vectorman game but it was turned down when there was some legal trouble with the character design. Turns out vectorman resembled another very green looking hero and canned it's release for the ps2.

Bon_Clay

Aug 5, 2010
The games great overall, very fun. The only problem is the motion control aspect gets annoying somewhat, I wish you could choose to switch ground pound and stuff to a button instead. Also it is true Diddy seems to have a lot more extra features than DK, but I felt he was better in the original anyway.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Lucky you, you actually got to review it =)

I'm glad to see that from the floor of Comic-Con, to the actual retail shelves that the game is everything that was promised in those levels. I can't wait to get my hands on it now.