Review: Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening

OldGrover

Nov 10, 2009
CK76 said:
I've put off buying this expensive expansion for one reason, it seems the characters from the first game are largely ignored.

Leliana said to my character at end of Origins "I'll follow you wherever you go"
Apparently in expansion she says "eh, or not, bye"

Whaaa? This could have been so much fun seeing consequences of various play throughs come to fruition, but from what I've read, you don't get that in this expansion.
There are definitely ties back to some decisions from the first game, but, yeah, I was disappointed Leliana didn't stick around either when she promised.

It is a damn good expansion, though - once again, they do a great job of sucking you in and making you care about people and places that are just bytes - damn you Bioware. I had a few 'damn, I really don't know which option sucks least' moments - really fretting about which path to take.

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
Hmm, nah, I think I've had enough Dragon Age for a while. More of the same is just not something I'd put on my birthday gift list.

BirdBot

Jan 19, 2010
I thought the end of the first game was offensivly terrible. The way they forced the male romantic subplot onto the female storyline was just so so so poorly done. Lazy writing at it's absolute worst. I can't imagine any reason I'd consider purchasing any more content for this franchise.

evilentity

Mar 19, 2010
Ive enjoyed Awakening, but after countless hours spent with Origins it felt really short. Took me about 12 hours do do all but one quest. Could use 2 or 3 big zones extra and it would be perfect.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
I expect a whole lot more for that price.
I guess after R* was able to sell some mission packs for $20 each, the other publishers have been pushing the limit of how much they can charge and still turn a profit.

I just can't help but wonder: At what price will gamers say "no way."
It seems like you people will buy anything.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
evilentity said:
Ive enjoyed Awakening, but after countless hours spent with Origins it felt really short. Took me about 12 hours do do all but one quest. Could use 2 or 3 big zones extra and it would be perfect.
wow, that's all? Awakening is $40 here, Origins is $50 (on the PC). So I expected it to be way, way longer.

Meemaimoh

Aug 20, 2009
I was fairly unimpressed with Awakening. I admit, I haven't finished Awakening yet, even after getting it on release day, but really, that's symptomatic of the problems.

The first fifteen minutes of the game were fine (about of Dragon Age standard), but the next fifteen were nigh unbearable for me. It involved throwing a lot of new names at me, characters I didn't care about and can't imagine ever caring about, as well as cutscene after cutscene of endless, dull exposition about... well, not much, really. I threw a swanky "party" for some folks that apparently didn't matter, then got tossed into the world with no sense of what to do next.

And this was what irked me most about this game. There was suddenly too much to do, no reason for me personally to be doing any of it (don't I have people for this?), and absolutely no sense of direction or, most importantly, urgency. The first fifteen minutes gave me a villain that interested me, then I killed him. I felt like nothing I had to do was important. Everything felt like side-questing. I understand that it improves later, but why should I be forced to sit through mediocrity to get to what I would typically consider the standard for this franchise?

Also, I miss being around the old map. The whole expansion simply feels too detached. It's more like its own game than anything.

Everything I've said would be forgiveable from any other RPG on the planet, but I expected so much better. I guess the biggest thing this expansion suffers from is paling compared to the original. Aren't expansions meant to be more of the same, instead of more of something slightly worse?

high_castle

Apr 15, 2009
I was really pleased with the expansion. I think a lot of people were expecting more, but you forget that an expansion is not supposed to be a complete game. It's an add-on. A little more story, a bit more combat, some new characters, etc. You can't go into it expecting something as big and epic as the main storyline. That's not its purpose. But if you go in expecting a few more adventurous hours in Ferelden, than you'll probably be pleased.

The story is solid, the new and returning characters are well-written and engaging, and the plot moves quickly so there's no danger of boredom. My only criticism comes from the dialogue system, which was tweaked from Origins. Instead of clicking on companions whenever you want to speak with them, you trigger dialogue at set areas and with approval boosts. I felt like no one wanted to talk with me at first, at least until I triggered enough approval gains to open more dialogues. But otherwise, I liked the game a lot. And I liked that the endings acknowledge choices and romances from the main game.

Lemon Of Life

Jul 8, 2009
No thanks, I enjoyed the first one, but I've had enough. If I want more later, I'll just play it with a different character.

CK76

Sep 25, 2009
OldGrover said:
CK76 said:
I've put off buying this expensive expansion for one reason, it seems the characters from the first game are largely ignored.

Leliana said to my character at end of Origins "I'll follow you wherever you go"
Apparently in expansion she says "eh, or not, bye"

Whaaa? This could have been so much fun seeing consequences of various play throughs come to fruition, but from what I've read, you don't get that in this expansion.
There are definitely ties back to some decisions from the first game, but, yeah, I was disappointed Leliana didn't stick around either when she promised.

It is a damn good expansion, though - once again, they do a great job of sucking you in and making you care about people and places that are just bytes - damn you Bioware. I had a few 'damn, I really don't know which option sucks least' moments - really fretting about which path to take.
I'll get eventually, it is just 40 dollars for this is asking a bit much, maybe 20-30 range when Steam does a deal on it and I'll bite as I did love Origins.

chickenlord

May 14, 2008
can anyone tell me if there are plans for a game of the year edition with this expansion included?

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
80+ hours? Man, it's 60+ MAX. And that's doing EVERY sidequest. The games just wasn't all that long and epic.

Rathy

Aug 21, 2008
This has renewed my interest in getting Awakening. I plan to do at least 1 more playthrough of Dragon Age first though, so I'm hoping it will go on sale. I don't really want to pay the 40, but its definitely worth it to me if I have to after doing some more DA:O exploration.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
No. No, I wouldn't.

Dragon Age didn't captivate me so if this is more of the same with a slightly downgraded 'epic' quest, then I can easily pass.

Oh yeah, why is there a score on the review? Seems to go against everything this site stands for...

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
Well I would say I will be picking this up, but since my Xbox 360's disc reader finally died after three years, it appears I will be waiting to pick this up

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I want it, sort of, but there are two things holding me back. First, as others have said, there isn't enough connection to DA:O. Continuing as my Grey Warden(s) doesn't make sense without it being a more direct continuation of DA:O in all aspects instead of just the general storyline. Secondly, it costs more than I'm willing to pay.. it may be quality content, but there just doesn't sound to be enough of it to make it worth the price.

Remzer

Provider of Nutrients
Jul 29, 2009
Sam_Winchester said:
hah, your character's name is dooshe
Damn you and your fast quickliness!

In my books, more Dragon Age is good Dragon Age.

addeB

Oct 2, 2009
I'm not done with awakening yet so I will wait with my opinion,

SPOILER!
but I am disappointed that i haven't met Alistar yet and no one has asked about him or any thing.(My character stayed with him)