Review: Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening

Beldaros

Jan 24, 2009
Russ Pitts said:
Virgil said:
One thing I'm curious about - does the disc version function entirely as a standalone game as well? I can't recall seeing a purely disc-based console expansion before.
I'll try the Awakening disc on my second Xbox later one to see what happens, but it was "aware" of my Dragon Age save games, so I'm assuming you have to have created a DA profile on your console before the Awakening disc will work.

Functionally it plays as a standalone game, though. You ahve to insert the DA disc to go back and play DA content.
Do you know how it works with the DLC? I mean, can you still play the original game or are you stuck having to play Awakening, as it isn't a simple case of switching discs. If you don't know that's ok.

Satine Phoenix

Feb 19, 2010
After playing 100 hrs of Dragon Age.. I need more Dragon Age and am only going to get it because this review said that I can keep my character. Building another one would be too much work for as much time and effort i put into the first one. OMG I can't wait to get this now!

Ascarus

Feb 5, 2010
i am enjoying the expansion, but your party members are far less interesting (so far) than the original group was. why the decision to completely exclude everyone but oghren? there would certainly be plot issues in bringing everyone back -- e.g. alistair as king wouldn't likely go wandering all over creation fighting bad guys. But, let's be honsest, bioware allowed you to resurrect your main character and import him/her if they died at the end of the original, so they couldn't have been that concerned about continuity.

i don't know ... it's a good expansion, but without the interesting party members that you spent a great deal of time getting know, it's not the same game.

F8L Fool

Mar 24, 2010
I just might have to shell out some cash for a DLC for once. The article sounded promising, and the screens I've seen of it look pretty damn impressive.

KillerRabbit

Jan 3, 2009
Kmadden2004 said:
I'd really love to play this game, but I just can't justify spending £32 on it. Perhaps if it goes down in price, I'll download it.

Damn you BioWare for releasing the PS3 version only as dlc in the UK, and damn you SCEE for forcing them to make the choice!
Considering the lenght of the game (well, depending on playstyle) you get atleast 4 times the value of the money if you compare it to any other game release - and this is only an expansion!

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
KillerRabbit said:
Kmadden2004 said:
I'd really love to play this game, but I just can't justify spending £32 on it. Perhaps if it goes down in price, I'll download it.

Damn you BioWare for releasing the PS3 version only as dlc in the UK, and damn you SCEE for forcing them to make the choice!
Considering the lenght of the game (well, depending on playstyle) you get atleast 4 times the value of the money if you compare it to any other game release - and this is only an expansion!
I'm sure that's the case, just as I'm sure I will buy this game at some point in the future. I just think it's a tad annoying that XBox and PC gamers can pick the expansion up for £20 from a high street store, while we UK PS3 owners are forced to fork out the full price for a download with no incentives beyond "You've got no choice".

It just comes across as a bit of a slap in the face, in my opinion.

Meri Jo Hall

Mar 18, 2010
kawaiiamethist said:
How does this game play out if you become Alistair's queen?
Well, I just started Awakenings and carried my female Human PC over from DA:O, and became Queen Consort to Alistair. He appears in the beginning to see how you fared on your journey to the new Warden base. You have the option of seeing if he will join you, as he, too, is a Grey Warden, as well as King of Ferelden, and he says that he has to go back to Denerim to take care of matters there, but "my beautiful wife" you are capable and I must say a quick good-bye before I change my mind. Gives you a wonderfully sweet kiss on cheek, and departs quickly to return to Denerim.

So, as you can see, he has faith in his "Beautiful Wife", but he knows that his duties lie in his newest position and not his first, which is that of a Grey Warden. But, if needed, I believe he would return to help you if you needed him. But if you are like me, the Human Noble Female I created doesn't quite need his 'help' as she could kick butt before, and still can with regard to the Darkspawn regardless of newest threat.