Review: Dragon Age: Origins

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006

Could Dragon Age: Origins possibly be as good as everyone hoped it would be? Yep.

Read Full Article

dandahammer

Partaker of adult beverages
Jun 2, 2009
This will be my first proper Bioware game (my bro raves over mass effect) so I am really looking forward to it. My local Walmart had no Ps3 copy, so must wait til Gamestop opens to purchase. And word on the street is PS3 finally got a above average port.

Mr.Black

Oct 27, 2009
Loved Mass Effect and I'm looking forward to sinking my teeth into Dragon Age. Excellent review, you've convinced me to sink money into it!

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
Mass effect with dragons! Im looking forward to playing this! I need a game that would keep me indoors for a good month, its getting cold outside!

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
I loved the video supplement.

And I am extremely pleased that this game has turned out to be as good as I hoped.

Now all that remains is to buy it.

TheBarefootBandit

May 20, 2009
I'll get my hands on it when either my PC goes to super saiyan 3 or more seriously when the PS3 version's out. The 6th of this month I think?

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
I pre-ordered this from GameStop but, alas, I can't afford to pick it up today. Too many outstanding bills. Perhaps when I get paid in the middle of the week.

Graphics, for me, are not as important as gameplay or story. So the 360 version should take care of me just fine.

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
I'd been in doubt wether or not to get it for weeks but this review has made me pre-order the game just now, making it the first full price game I bought in over a year.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
pre purchased from steam awhile ago, and i bought the collectors edition for 5 euro extra because it offered an extra map, considering that im an insane person who will do every side quest this game will probably keep me busy for the rest of this year.

heres hoping it got an in game difficulty changer, playing on easy until i get a hold of the mechanics, though bad for my ego will probably make the game more enjoyable.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
So it's finally here, I've been following this game for years now. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on it tonight, maybe even try to pick it up during lunch - although I still won't be able to play until later.

swaki said:
heres hoping it got an in game difficulty changer, playing on easy until i get a hold of the mechanics, though bad for my ego will probably make the game more enjoyable.
From what I saw during the video capture - when your party gets wiped out you are given the option to change difficulty, among reload last save and other options. So I assume that means you can change it on the fly.

dodokiller88

Dec 25, 2008
Game looks great, just wish I had the extra cash to pick it up.

As an added note, there's a typo on page 2: "suffer defeat do to laggy target selection."

"do" should be "due"

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Preloading this on Steam as we speak, gonna leave it while I get to bed. Been a long time since I've played a good Fantasy RPG that wasn't an MMO.

hansari

May 31, 2009
Russ Pitts said:
For the most part the game is a washed-out mess, and the items and character models are uninspiring. If sub-standard graphics are a severe impediment to your enjoyment of a game, then you'd be wise to play the PC version if you have the option. >
Can you or someone else explain to me why developers would take the risk to use different graphics engines? Wouldn't focusing on one be better?

While I found Mass Effect to be shiny enough on the console, the developers said they couldn't tap into it because the Unreal Engine 3 was new to them...

Now they say they have everything peachy with Mass Effect 2...but then I hear this about Dragon Age??

Why? Because they are once again using a new engine called Eclipse?

ReverseEngineered

Raving Lunatic
Apr 30, 2008
This game looks amazing. With so many LOTR-style RPGs, it's hard to stand out from the crowd, but BioWare took the right path by focusing on story and gameplay over graphics and glitz.

I've already preordered the deluxe edition on Steam and I'm taking the day off of work on Wednesday. I can't wait!

Dartinin

Apr 14, 2009
eating dinner while playing a good rpg is a must do >.> definitely when some can top out at 90 hours of gameplay and your willpower is to low to stop playing it >.> kotor was my first "way to good to stop playing" rpg to the point that i would be playing it for 24 hours thinking im hallucinating when i meet the guy who looks exactly like my team mate to my side who turns into a monkey which you then go about chasing and randomly killing poor innocent monkeys >.> i can honestly say that i thought at that point that i was on some lack of sleep high or having one freaky ass dream >.>

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
I've pretty muched dropped MW2, and this makes me happier I did. If I can scrounge up the money I'll be buying this today.

Bored Tomatoe

Aug 15, 2008
This will be the first game that I purchase for my new gaming PC. It'll be totally worth the month long wait to play it with a mouse and keyboard.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
hansari said:
Russ Pitts said:
For the most part the game is a washed-out mess, and the items and character models are uninspiring. If sub-standard graphics are a severe impediment to your enjoyment of a game, then you'd be wise to play the PC version if you have the option. >
Can you or someone else explain to me why developers would take the risk to use different graphics engines? Wouldn't focusing on one be better?

While I found Mass Effect to be shiny enough on the console, the developers said they couldn't tap into it because the Unreal Engine 3 was new to them...

Now they say they have everything peachy with Mass Effect 2...but then I hear this about Dragon Age??

A combination of different teams, development times and needs most likely. Eclipse is an in-house engine likely built out of their previous Odyssey and Aurora Engines, so they have a lot more freedom to do with it what they want. Mass Effect went into development after Dragon Age. It's also not free to use the Unreal engine and a successful engine can in turn be marketed out to other companies.

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
Also, how scalable are the graphics, and how big is the base difference between platforms? I have a dual core 3GHz processor and a 9800GT, which as I understand is fairly low tier for this game.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
As for the save game thing, don't you overwrite existing saves? I know I do, else I end up with hundreds of the damn things clogging up my system. BUT ANYWAY...

So, its as good as I hoped?! Sweet, it'll be here by the end of the week :) Looking forward too it.

EDIT:
Slycne said:
hansari said:
Russ Pitts said:

A combination of different teams, development times and needs most likely. Eclipse is an in-house engine likely built out of their previous Odyssey and Aurora Engines, so they have a lot more freedom to do with it what they want. Mass Effect went into development after Dragon Age. It's also not free to use the Unreal engine and a successful engine can in turn be marketed out to other companies.
Come to think of it, why didn't they use a version of the Mass Effect engine? That worked good on both PC and XBox (yeah, I know, I'm an idiot for having both).

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Slycne said:
hansari said:
Russ Pitts said:

I glanced through the comments on this, but didn't see anything pertaining to the PS3...How well does it run on the PS3? Or does it have the same hiccups as the Xbox360?

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
dandahammer said:
This will be my first proper Bioware game (my bro raves over mass effect) so I am really looking forward to it. My local Walmart had no Ps3 copy, so must wait til Gamestop opens to purchase. And word on the street is PS3 finally got a above average port.
Welcome to the world of RPGs! Though I should point out it'll be different from Mass Effect as, firstly, its a Third Person 'directing' RPG, not a Third/First Person shooter RPG. Just letting you know it'll likely be abit of jump from whatever you've played before if you've not RPGed before. That said, Bioware are, pretty much, the Valve (in terms of quality) of the RPG world.

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
"Buy it for PC if you have a choice"...
I have PC, but I want trophies. So, in fact, I have no choice. Anyway, I've seen comparison - PS3 and PC versions look and run absolutely same (well, PC version can handle higher resolutions and AA, but fuck em).

soulasylum85

Dec 26, 2008
i want it but im getting mw2 next week and l4d2 the week after. however i have run out of things to play now....

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Bought it and in the process of installing it at this very moment. Hope it lives up to the hype!

Markness

Apr 23, 2008
If the pc version is so superior, I can't understand why you would review it on the 360. Dragon age seems like a very pc game to me and from what I have read from other reviews, graphics look alot better and the issue you mentioned about the codec is resolved on pc.

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
Oh, damn. I wanted to get this when I bot an Xbox 360, but I think I'll get it for the PC instead.

Also, werewolves? Fuck yes.

Milkman Dan

Sep 11, 2008
Graphics over gameplay, and yet I need a dual core to run this? My computer isn't brand new, but it can already run Mass Effect, the Witcher, and Gothic 3.

Nincompoop

May 24, 2009
Didn't read the review, only watched the video FYI. Anyways, a comment on the last bit. 'twas funny =P. Don't know what tha fuck your were imitating (if anything) but it sounded awesome xP!

Teh_Doomage

Jan 11, 2009
This put me over the edge on getting at launch, which I did...I can confirm, a difficulty slider.

Also, great review! Russ, play some PC versions of the game for some reviews? Please?

Ganthrinor

Apr 15, 2009
This is the game I have anticipated the most this year. Blood, violence, blood, and murder.

Also, FUCK YEAH! for a game that's more than willing to step up and kill you over and over! Too many games these days just want to hold your hand all the way to the "finish" line.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Allow me to qualify that: If you enjoy fantasy role-playing games and prefer gameplay over graphics and story over style, then Dragon Age: Origins is the game you've been waiting for all your life.
These words... you might as well just pour honey over it and dangle the game a foot from my face.

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
Milkman Dan said:
Graphics over gameplay, and yet I need a dual core to run this? My computer isn't brand new, but it can already run Mass Effect, the Witcher, and Gothic 3.
Generally speaking processors don't have as much to do with graphics processing as much as runnning A.I., tracking stats, and running the game engine.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
The graphics don't look bad at all, and i've seen a lot of 360 vids. I don't care that much about graphics though anyway, i mean look at the 360 version of Prototype and Fallout 3, i still enjoyed them.

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
hansari said:

I get the impression you don't actually know what a graphics engine is. It's just another component of the game engine itself; Unreal 3 includes its own graphic engine, as does Eclipse. Unreal 3 isn't a suitable engine to make Dragon Age in, and Eclipse isn't a suitable engine to make Mass Effect in. That's all there really is to it.

Doug said:
Come to think of it, why didn't they use a version of the Mass Effect engine? That worked good on both PC and XBox (yeah, I know, I'm an idiot for having both).
As above, different engines with completely different goals. I suppose we could have re-developed it in a version of the Mass Effect engine if you wanted to wait a few more years for the game.

Somehow, I'm guessing people aren't that patient.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Doug said:
EDIT:
Slycne said:
Like I said it's likely a combination of development having started on Dragon Age before Mass Effect and the Unreal Engine not being able to do what they needed. A game engine does a lot more than just make the game look pretty.

Edit:
See RollForInitiative's post above [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/6.153453?page=2#3688367]

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Slycne said:
Doug said:
EDIT:
Slycne said:
Like I said it's likely a combination of development having started on Dragon Age before Mass Effect and the Unreal Engine not being able to do what they needed. A game engine does a lot more than just make the game look pretty.
Ah, my bad - and yeah, it makes alot of sense if DA was being developed before ME - after all, we don't want another Duke Nuke'm Forever scenario where they chase technology into oblivion.

Either way, I'm buying PC and I'm sure I'll love it.

PurpleLeafRave

Hyaaaa!
Feb 22, 2009
I hated Mass Effect, but I'm gonna love this! Fantasy RPG's are so much better than futuristic ones.

pneuma08

Gaming Connoisseur
Sep 10, 2008
30 save files? For long-running western RPGs I typically have a "rolling" 3 or 4 slots, in which the oldest of which I overwrite on a constant basis. I figure if the chance an individual save file corrupts is a super-high 10%, then the chance two will corrupt is 1%, and three .1%; and even if 3/4 corrupt I save often enough that I'll lose maybe an hour or two, max. Sometimes I maintain more if I want to save a specific scenario (before a point of no return or something) but I rarely ever use it, excepting when I have to maintain multiple characters in the same save-bin (an annoyance I had with Fallout 3).

But anyhow, I'm DEFINITIVELY picking this up today, and I'm upgrading my compy for the first time in 5 years(!) for this and L4D2.

A13X T3h NubCak3

May 12, 2009
its getting really really good reviews all round..
Gamespot- 95!
IGN- 92
PC Gamer-94
I was going to get it regardless but this makes me feel a little better :p
PC version if my computer can handle it

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/dragonageorigins

CUnk

Oct 24, 2008
If I hated Mass Effect will I hate this? Excessive inventory management and constant equipment reassessment annoys the hell out of me.

I guess with DA:O I won't be riding any elevators or cruising around a late 90's-era landscape in a Big Trax. But do I have to put up with party members dragging me into unwanted conversations to tell me uninteresting facts about their past lives?

edit: Also, who needs more than 30 save slots? I maybe use 2 or 3 max (not including quick saves and autosaves) and that's just to protect me if one of them gets corrupted.

jthm

Jun 28, 2008
I'm pretty sure I know the answer before I ask it, but I'll go ahead. My PC can't handle this, I know that. My xbox just rrod yesterday (4th one). Is there any chance that bioware took advantage of the PS3's greater graphical capability? I have both, and if it weren't for the RROD I'd pick up 360 as I'm able to play that more often. But since my 360 is broken, and I'm rather impatient, Is there any chance that the ps3 version is not just a port, designed and built with the 360 in mind (like most multiplatform games these days)?

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Still not convinced enough to pick it up. Despite the genre being called "fantasy," developers of these games don't seem to want to do anything to make these worlds their own apart from plot and names.

TheNamlessGuy

Jan 7, 2009
PC it is!
Seems awesome.
Although... no deleting files?
And they tell you to delete files?
Wow... But you can overwrite the files, at least, though, right?

EDIT: Oh, and it seems my computer can run the game too!
Requirements (if anyone wants to know) [http://forums.vgrequirements.info/showthread.php?t=7534]

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
CUnk said:
If I hated Mass Effect will I hate this? Excessive inventory management and constant equipment reassessment annoys the hell out of me.

I guess with DA:O I won't be riding any elevators or cruising around a late 90's-era landscape in a Big Trax. But do I have to put up with party members dragging me into unwanted conversations to tell me uninteresting facts about their past lives?
Sounds like you just don't like RPGs bro. Half those are things players look for in a game.

Haven't played it yet, I'd assume there a very high amount of conversation and quartermastery. I sincerely doubt there will be vehicle sections, don't know about loading times.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
I've just played through the first combat mission and for the most part the game is good. My buzz, however, quickly died once I realized that your character doesn't say a damn thing! Oh sure he/she says a few things while in combat but that's it. Instead of limiting your character to one awesome and very well done voice actor per gender (as in Mass Effect) we are now given the choice of various voices to use that don't go beyond one sentence at best.

I'm going to keep playing through the game until I can get a more definite feel for it but this has been a huge blow for me personally. Mass Effect had its faults but you could ignore those just cause the story sucked you in so well, especially when you had a voice behind your character. I was hoping that this game might perfect on some of those faults but never would I have considered the lose of grade A voice acting for my character.

Frenger

May 31, 2009
Why do I have to live in the arse end of Europe?! Or rather, why do they keep us waiting two three days? :(

Have to wait until Thursday :(

BarefootGamer

Aug 23, 2009
I'm super excited to play this game! I'm a big fan of Bioware's games. I kinda wish I'd bought the PC version, instead of Xbox, but Best Buy had a Buy One, Get One Half Off deal going on at the time and I saved $30. ;)

A13X T3h NubCak3

May 12, 2009
Yurimistress said:
I've just played through the first combat mission and for the most part the game is good. My buzz, however, quickly died once I realized that your character doesn't say a damn thing! Oh sure he/she says a few things while in combat but that's it. Instead of limiting your character to one awesome and very well done voice actor per gender (as in Mass Effect) we are now given the choice of various voices to use that don't go beyond one sentence at best.

I'm going to keep playing through the game until I can get a more definite feel for it but this has been a huge blow for me personally. Mass Effect had its faults but you could ignore those just cause the story sucked you in so well, especially when you had a voice behind your character. I was hoping that this game might perfect on some of those faults but never would I have considered the lose of grade A voice acting for my character.
Its alot like Knights of the Old Republic speech..

Just read it out and pretend you are saying it to the person.. Thats what i did for Kotor.. But granted i understand where you are coming from.. it was nice to see your character interacting with the person in that way.

Also can more people update and tell us what they think of the game? Thanks

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
Well my pc barely meets the recommended spec, (and this machine gets 80fps on Clear Sky) but I should still be getting this.

Chadling

Oct 8, 2008
A new Bioware RPG? Count me in.

Rave reviews? I want it to be the weekend right now.

SilverKyo

Apr 15, 2009
hansari said:
Russ Pitts said:

I've been reading up on it because this part confused the hell out of me too. Basically, the game was designed for the PC with higher level graphics originally, then they decided to put it on a console too. The basic problems with graphics for the Xbox version was the game would have to run off a disc, and the disc didn't have enough space for everything, so they dropped the only thing that seemed trivial, which was graphics. They couldn't drop the gameplay and quests, because then it would be like selling another game. With the PC version, it just has all the information on a disc that it puts on your computer, but it doesn't have to play from it. The basic problem is console disc limitations. These problems are lessened a bit on the PS3 with blue-ray discs being able to hold a little more, not as good as the PC version.

Dannie

Oct 4, 2009
Nice review. I'm totally gonna buy it when it's released here in Sweden.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
I quite enjoy the video supplement this time around, if not for the party-breaker NPC and sublime voice over :p. Can't wait for the game release in about 1 hour over steam.

v3n0mat3

Jul 30, 2008
Definitely getting it for the PS3. Nothing against the 360, but I'm getting it for the PS3

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
A13X T3h NubCak3 said:
Yurimistress said:

Just read it out and pretend you are saying it to the person.. Thats what i did for Kotor.. But granted i understand where you are coming from.. it was nice to see your character interacting with the person in that way.

Granted that's what I tend to do inside my head for Kotor or older RPG's. This, however, is not an older RPG and feels like a step in the wrong direction. For Bioware to go from Mass Effect with damn near complete voice acting for your character (I say near cause a few speech options say the same thing regardless) to me having to imagine how my character would say a line just feels wrong.

Oh and the controlling of your fellow party members feels overly complicated and clumsy. Guess I'll just return the game and bide my time for Mass Effect 2 and Star Wars: The Old Republic. Dragon Age Origin feels a touch...generic as medieval stories go.

Otterpoet

Jun 6, 2008
Mr.Pandah said:
I glanced through the comments on this, but didn't see anything pertaining to the PS3...How well does it run on the PS3? Or does it have the same hiccups as the Xbox360?
From what I've been reading, apart from the lack of 'Baldur's Gate' vision, the PS3 has the best graphics for the game. And that comes as a happy surprise to me - usually we PS3ers draw the short end of the stick when it comes to ports. I believe the comparison goes from best to worst: PS3, PC, XBox360.

Still, for me, it's the game-play that matters and everyone will be lucky in that regard :)

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Otterpoet said:
Mr.Pandah said:
From what I've been reading, apart from the lack of 'Baldur's Gate' vision, the PS3 has the best graphics for the game. And that comes as a happy surprise to me - usually we PS3ers draw the short end of the stick when it comes to ports. I believe the comparison goes from best to worst: PS3, PC, XBox360.

Still, for me, it's the game-play that matters and everyone will be lucky in that regard :)
Odd - someone else in this thread said it was PC, PS3, 360 - given the PS3 lacked fullscreen antialiasing or something.

sanzo

Jan 21, 2009
TheBarefootBandit said:
I'll get my hands on it when either my PC goes to super saiyan 3 or more seriously when the PS3 version's out. The 6th of this month I think?
I actually picked up the ps3 version today

Unfortunately I haven't had much time to play other than seeing which class I want to start with (Mage, BTW), but i'm really liking it so far

Undead Dragon King

Evil Spacefaring Mantis
Apr 25, 2008
I was waffling over whether to get this for the PC or the 360 for a long time prior to this review. I'm glad I finally chose the former, even though I'm not sure my graphics card will survive the process.

Keivz

Dec 4, 2008
Yurimistress said:

I expected this and am also disappointed by it. Whereas The Witcher had the entire game's massive dialogue translated into several different languages spread across two discs, Bioware couldn't be bothered to make one character's dialogue in several different voices and choose instead to go for the immersion breaking "silent character" that I love to hate. Arrgh!

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
What really cheers me up is most of the reviews of today mentioning how hard the game is.
I've been waiting for a challenging tactical rpg for a long time.

I also get the impression that the worst part of this game is going to be the dialogue. Maybe we should all be grateful that the PC isn't VOed aswell.
No RPG except VTM:Bloodlines ever did voice-overs right.

Otterpoet

Jun 6, 2008
Doug said:
Otterpoet said:
Mr.Pandah said:

Odd - someone else in this thread said it was PC, PS3, 360 - given the PS3 lacked fullscreen antialiasing or something.
I went back and I think you're right. The PC is supposed to be the "superior experience," which only makes sense frankly. However, the PS3 has "higher-quality textures than those on the Xbox 360, better color saturation, smoother facial animations, and shorter load times." And apart from minor hiccups is the superior console for running DA:O. That was welcome news.

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
I was about to say it looks a lot like Mass Effect...

Then I realised it was made by Bioware.

silly me...

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Yurimistress said:
Granted that's what I tend to do inside my head for Kotor or older RPG's. This, however, is not an older RPG and feels like a step in the wrong direction. For Bioware to go from Mass Effect with damn near complete voice acting for your character (I say near cause a few speech options say the same thing regardless) to me having to imagine how my character would say a line just feels wrong.

Oh and the controlling of your fellow party members feels overly complicated and clumsy. Guess I'll just return the game and bide my time for Mass Effect 2 and Star Wars: The Old Republic. Dragon Age Origin feels a touch...generic as medieval stories go.
Keivz said:
I expected this and am also disappointed by it. Whereas The Witcher had the entire game's massive dialogue translated into several different languages spread across two discs, Bioware couldn't be bothered to make one character's dialogue in several different voices and choose instead to go for the immersion breaking "silent character" that I love to hate. Arrgh!
I actually don't think a fully VO'ed main character would work in Dragon Age. RPGs grew out of table-top games which you were fully in control of your character's voice, quite literally. Until AI becomes advanced enough to respond to a player's spoken or written dialogue, we have made the concession that the developer choices several dialogue choices for us. The Witcher and to a lesser extent Mass Effect took that one step furthers. By removing your character voice by providing their own, this actually takes these games another step away from a true role-playing experience. In the Witcher you are definitely Geralt, you may have control over actions and some choices, but you are always playing that role. Even Mass Effect fell prey to this, falling somewhere in between - there were several times where I felt the spoken dialogue didn't align with the choice I made and that the character of Shepard was coming through subtly. While you may prefer that, Dragon Age is trying to create a world that you can interact with as any character you can imagine within a broader scope than a fully voiced main character would allow.

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
I want the game but I may wait till christmas to get it:)

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
Otterpoet said:
Doug said:
Otterpoet said:
Mr.Pandah said:

I went back and I think you're right. The PC is supposed to be the "superior experience," which only makes sense frankly. However, the PS3 has "higher-quality textures than those on the Xbox 360, better color saturation, smoother facial animations, and shorter load times." And apart from minor hiccups is the superior console for running DA:O. That was welcome news.
Interesting. I'll wait for a bit more news on how the PS3 version actually runs before I settle on that. Apart from problems on my home computer, I'm trying to decide whether or not this is a 360 or PS3 buy.

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
This sounds like my perfect game. Yeah, I don't think I'm going to be leaving the house in December. =3

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
Hooray! Justification for my wildly overpriced gaming computer!

squid5580

Feb 20, 2008
Bought the CE and the DLC mission (360 version). It better be as good as you say it is Russ. Or you can expect a visit at your office (and a flaming bag on your doorstep).

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Achievements!

If I get the PC version, is it perchance hooked up to Games for Windows or whatever the system is that means they show up on your 360 account whajamacallit?

Wounded Melody

Jan 19, 2009
Anyone find out which guy you can fall in love with if you are playing as a guy? Yea, that's what I want to know.

Pyotr Romanov

Jul 8, 2009
Ugh, why couldn't they delay MW2? Now people will be going "what the hell man?! Why didn't you buy mw2?! Best game evaaaaahh!!" at me while I try to play a nice rpg.

Should finish demon's souls first, though.

Also, is this gonna be moddable? Will the graphics suck (will not really look too good) on ps3 as well? Been wondering if I should get it on the ps3 or computer. Mods > trophies.

FloodOne

Apr 29, 2009
TooMiserableToLive said:
Ugh, why couldn't they delay MW2? Now people will be going "what the hell man?! Why didn't you buy mw2?! Best game evaaaaahh!!" at me while I try to play a nice rpg.

Also, is this gonna be moddable? Will the graphics suck (will not really look too good) on ps3 as well? Been wondering if I should get it on the ps3 or computer. Mods > trophies.
If mods mean more than trophies, go with the PC version.

A13X T3h NubCak3

May 12, 2009
Yurimistress said:
A13X T3h NubCak3 said:
Yurimistress said:

you playing on xbox pc or ps3?

Pyotr Romanov

Jul 8, 2009
FloodOne said:
TooMiserableToLive said:

Are you sure there will be mods? Mass effect didn't get any, though that was a different engine ofcourse. I'm just hoping it might get a big mod-/fanbase like oblivion got.

Leftnt Sharpe

Nick Furry
Apr 2, 2009
Those who are undecided about which version to get should consider that the PC version gets the Toolset and all the great mods that will inevitably be produced by the community.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
TooMiserableToLive said:
FloodOne said:
TooMiserableToLive said:

Are you sure there will be mods? Mass effect didn't get any, though that was a different engine ofcourse. I'm just hoping it might get a big mod-/fanbase like oblivion got.
Yes there will be mods and player created content. [http://dragonage.bioware.com/toolset/]

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
A13X T3h NubCak3 said:
Yurimistress said:
A13X T3h NubCak3 said:
Yurimistress said:

you playing on xbox pc or ps3?
Went with the PC cause I figured commanding a squad with a controller would be hellish.

Pyotr Romanov

Jul 8, 2009
Slycne said:
TooMiserableToLive said:
FloodOne said:
TooMiserableToLive said:

Yes there will be mods and player created content. [http://dragonage.bioware.com/toolset/]
PC it is then.
Thank you so much.

Amalith

Mar 29, 2009
Well, you seemed to confirm my desire to pick this game up, despite the apparently lackluster amount of character customization options.

EMFCRACKSHOT

Not quite Cthulhu
May 25, 2009
I just bought it off steam. Now i have to wait until friday to play it. its going to be worth it though

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
I'm pleased to see the GiantBomb people agree with you (http://www.giantbomb.com/dragon-age-origins/61-20738/reviews/) - though they said that its abit more old 'skool' than most people would expect. And, yay, the Dragon Age rule set is less complex than the D&D ones, like I've hoped.

bigdaddy95

Jun 30, 2009
Well I am patient when it comes to graphics ( I have sat through Two Worlds), it is game control and its mechanics that put me off ( I will never be a mage on Morrowind), so I think I can roll with 360 here. My 360 is suprisingly durable as it has only broke once, my computer on the other hand barely plays guild wars well, and THAT it not tolerable. As for the mentioned cluster of party command: I don't think I will be any better on a pc than I am on a console for that, but I think I could do much better with a pad in my hands and yes, I know I could just buy a computer pad but then I am shooting myself in the foot in more ways than one.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
TooMiserableToLive said:
Ugh, why couldn't they delay MW2?
I think if they did that, there would be a lot of game companies wetting their pants, considering many of the games scheduled to be released before christmas were delayed so they didn't coincide with Modern Warfare 2.

I must admit, I never really gave this game much attention to be honest. It looks like the WRPG's answer to Final Fantasy XII, and I loved that game; it even has gambits, or their variation of. I've already got Borderlands ready for after exams are over, I still have to finish off Fallout 3 and I really want to finally get around to playing Half-Life, but if I find the time, I'll certainly give this game some consideration.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
bigdaddy95 said:
Well I am patient when it comes to graphics ( I have sat through Two Worlds)....
Wait, you stand though that for...? ;)

Kuhly

Oct 22, 2009
Now i know what I'm spending my tax return on. After paying the mounting bills

high_castle

Apr 15, 2009
The graphics are stunning on my 360 with my plasma screen. I can't imagine what the reviewer was playing it with, as I see no problems at all. And it's definitely better than what I'd be able to manage on my lackluster PC. I've only played about 5 hours or so now, but I have to say, this game is quickly becoming a favorite. BioWare never disappoints, I must say.

SMOKEMNHALO2001

Sep 10, 2008
Russ Pitts said:

Could Dragon Age: Origins possibly be as good as everyone hoped it would be? Yep.

Read Full Article
Was that a Emperors New Groove reference at the end?

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
After the initial nightmare of trying to get the DLCs and Collector Edition stuff from the overloaded BioWare servers, all I can say is that Dragon Age was beyond my expectation, the combat is so amazing that I doubt I'll ever go back to D&D 'crappy' combat system again. Playing as a Mage has never been his damn fun.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
Hmm... I've been hearing about this game more and more and now think that it will take a higher priority for my Xbox than MW2. Even though my old MW1 copy broke months ago.

My favorite kind of game is a brilliantly pulled off RPG and Dragon Age from what I've heard seems to fit the bill. Good to hear it lived up to expectations.

infinisynth

The man
Jul 31, 2009
I've got it for PS3, and i'm here to tell you all that I was impressed with the graphics. From what i've read and heard from reviews I was expecting much worse. You won't be disappointed with the graphics on the PS3 version.

LewsTherin

Jun 22, 2008
So they used the Baulder's Gate style of getting from place to place, eh? That's cool. It's good to hear that the game didn't fall prey to mediocrity. I'll be sure to pick it up for compy.

the protaginist

Jul 4, 2008
Alright, definitely not a rental then?

I'll probably pick it up sometime around chrimbo, Which means i'm gonna be way behind on story and whatnot... damn.

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
TooMiserableToLive said:
Also, is this gonna be moddable? Mods > trophies.
I saw the druid, with her hair blocking her nipples, and the first thing to cross my mind was, "that's going to get modded in a heart beat. Like, the first mod anyone will manage will be a topless druid mod. It'll progress from there, but, that's sure to be mod 1.0. :)

(I dunno if there will be. Only what there will should there be mods. ;) )

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
I picked this up tonight for the PC...

I sat down at 8...and have just been able to pull myself away from it.

I love the classic overhead view (like from Baulder's Gate, Diablo, NWN, etc...), and for the PC at least the graphics are fantastic.

The only downside I've come across so far is that being a mage it makes a little difficult to run at the head of the group...so I have to play as the current tank until the fighting gets underway, and then flip back to my mage. Not a game breaker, but maybe I'm missing something in the tactics in terms of formations or something.

Anyway, cheers, the game's great so far.

Poomanchu745

Sep 11, 2009
I got the game today on steam (PC) and have put in around 4 hours so far and have to say that I think Bioware has lived up to all expectations and created another classic RPG. It is amazing the amount of voice acting that had to go into this game since there are lots of cut scenes to add to the story while the game is 80+ hours long. This game truly amazes me and it makes me sad I have to log off for the night to get sleep. Can't wait to see whats in store tomorrow. This game is EPIC!

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Loop Stricken said:
Achievements!

If I get the PC version, is it perchance hooked up to Games for Windows or whatever the system is that means they show up on your 360 account whajamacallit?
... anyone?

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
squid5580 said:
Bought the CE and the DLC mission (360 version). It better be as good as you say it is Russ. Or you can expect a visit at your office (and a flaming bag on your doorstep).
I assure you it is so far today between the two files I set up, I have.... 7.5 hours clocked into it already, and loved every minute of it. And by the way Russ wasn't kidding when he said this game is hard, I'm wrapping Mass Effect on Insane, and this game I am having trouble on Normal

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
What I would like to know is can I have my Dwarf character have a gay romance with the elf Zevran? According to devs, dwarves can romance normally, and the male homosexual romance option is Zevran, the elven assassin.

Imagine that in-game cutscene...

Mana Fiend

Jun 8, 2009
I was totally torn between this and Borderlands (both on the 360), but seeing as how I don't have a HD TV anyway (yet! I'm planning to get one around January sales time), I'm thinking I'll push for this one. Graphics aren't a huge deal for me, and I do love my epic fantasy.

Garaw

Sep 22, 2009
Graphically, Dragon Age on the 360 looks like something the cat sicked up, I agree with that. And I can see how combat would have a lot more tactical options when you can click directly on targets. If I had a beefier PC, I would have bought it for that.

The story that I've seen so far is rich. My one complaint is that between Alistair's quips and your cute 900-lb. alaunt, it's not really maintaining a 'dark fantasy' feel as portrayed in the trailers. The Darkspawn are sorta generic.

All in all, though, I bought it for the story and I'm not disappointed.

Trotgar

Sep 13, 2009
Lord_Gremlin said:
I have PC, but I want trophies. So, in fact, I have no choice. Anyway, I've seen comparison - PS3 and PC versions look and run absolutely same (well, PC version can handle higher resolutions and AA, but fuck em).
Don't know if this' PC version has trophies, but Mass Effects' PC version had them.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
Garaw said:
Graphically, Dragon Age on the 360 looks like something the cat sicked up, I agree with that. And I can see how combat would have a lot more tactical options when you can click directly on targets. If I had a beefier PC, I would have bought it for that.

The story that I've seen so far is rich. My one complaint is that between Alistair's quips and your cute 900-lb. alaunt, it's not really maintaining a 'dark fantasy' feel as portrayed in the trailers. The Darkspawn are sorta generic.

Are the graphics for the 360 version really that bad? From the vids and streams i've seen of it, it doesn't seem bad at all.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
"OH HI THERE, MR ADVENTURER! YOU GOT A NICE PARTY THERE! BOOM, TOTAL PARTY KILL!"

XD

I hope its easier for a mage...

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
I think that should prove to everyone that Bioware is one of the few companies that always make excellent games. Quality, not quantity.

Xaryn Mar

Sep 17, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
"OH HI THERE, MR ADVENTURER! YOU GOT A NICE PARTY THERE! BOOM, TOTAL PARTY KILL!"

XD

I hope its easier for a mage...
Don't count on it. If any of the RPG's I have played is any indication it is actually much harder as a mage (at least until the higher levels).

I, unfortunately, have to wait a while to get this game since I cannot afford it at the momenr.

JonnoStrife

Sep 5, 2009
It's Summer in australia so I'll probably wait a little while to get it, but i have a few things to say based on his review.

It seems to play a bit like Final Fantasy 12. Before you all flip out and I get destroyer by flamers, let me say my piece.

Dragon Age: You can you use tactics for your team member. Where they do certain things when parameters are met.
FFXII: You use gambits for your team. Where they do certain things once parameters are met.

Dragon Age: Pause your realtime game to quick select moves, players or options
FFXII: Pause your realtime game to quick select moves, players or options.

One more thing. He talked about quick jumping on your map, only to be stopped by random encounters. Play Final Fantasy Tactics for the PSP (But fuck the PSPSgo Up its ass).

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Hmmm, I still have to wait until tomorrow at the earliest or Friday at the latest :( Stupid UK, why do we have to wait for the anarchic brick and mortor shops to release? Everyone who buys on day one pre-orders, or buys digital.

squid5580

Feb 20, 2008
Lost In The Void said:
squid5580 said:
I assure you it is so far today between the two files I set up, I have.... 7.5 hours clocked into it already, and loved every minute of it. And by the way Russ wasn't kidding when he said this game is hard, I'm wrapping Mass Effect on Insane, and this game I am having trouble on Normal
The instruction book is crazy lol. I am not used to them being more than a page long. Hopefully my place won't get invaded by other people's children again and I'll get to play it tonight.

Garaw

Sep 22, 2009
Flamezdudes said:
Garaw said:

Are the graphics for the 360 version really that bad? From the vids and streams i've seen of it, it doesn't seem bad at all.
Screenshots are like the burgers they show on fast food commercials...They look plump and juicy on screen, but the reality falls short of that eidolon.

I imagine the PC screenshots I've seen are idealized for a high-end machine too. A mid-range PC might look exactly like the Xbox version. But you don't get a chance to scale the graphics on a console.

They're not horrible, no. But the Xbox is capable of better.

Pyotr Romanov

Jul 8, 2009
Firia said:
TooMiserableToLive said:
Also, is this gonna be moddable? Mods > trophies.
I saw the druid, with her hair blocking her nipples, and the first thing to cross my mind was, "that's going to get modded in a heart beat. Like, the first mod anyone will manage will be a topless druid mod. It'll progress from there, but, that's sure to be mod 1.0. :)

(I dunno if there will be. Only what there will should there be mods. ;) )
Yeah, oblivion and fallout 3 had excelent "nude body replacers". So knowing... people in general, i agree with you on it being mod 1.

Pyotr Romanov

Jul 8, 2009
Trotgar said:
Lord_Gremlin said:
Don't know if this' PC version has trophies, but Mass Effects' PC version had them.
What, Mass Effect on the pc has trophies? how'd they do that? Can I like, connect mass effect with my PSN account or something?

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
I've played around with the game a bit, and I'm a little disappointed.

Sure, it's not a bad game. You won't hear me saying that. It's just not as good as I expected. It doesn't wow me the way I hoped it would. It's just another RPG. A good one, but not exactly the best thing since sliced bread, if you get what I mean.

The graphics, the story, the characters, the gameplay... all just one notch below what I hoped they would be.

Guess that shows me for believing the hype.

waringpepper

Apr 4, 2009
has the xbox and pc version still got the same about of content in both only the graphics down grade

CK76

Sep 25, 2009
There use to be a site that helped know what settings your PC could run a game at, anyone remember it?

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
"You have to option to completely customize how each party member will act in battle using the "tactics" menu. Depending on the characters' stats and skills, you can program them to respond in dozens of ways to almost every conceivable combat event, such as attacking mages who are attacking specific characters, or using certain spells once their health reaches a specific point. It's a mind-numbing level of detail at first, but once you get a handle on it, you'll be able to tackle even larger challenges and the game will begin to feel even more like playing a game with flesh-and-blood friends."

:)

Final Fantasy XII except more awesome?

Seriously, everything about this sounds like it really lives up to Baldur's Gate, which is...Surprising to me. I have to buy it, I hope I have enough time to obsess over it.

And I'm sure there's a way around the saved-game limit, at least on PC.

Orange_Clockwork

Oct 29, 2009
I really wanna buy this game, I really do, but the holiday shift is bringing in so many other titles, though they may mostly be sequels, there are so many promising sequels. Assassin's Creed 2 is one that's really pressing me, there's also Left 4 Dead 2, not to mention the "new" games like Dante's Inferno...Or Borderlands...

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
CK76 said:
There use to be a site that helped know what settings your PC could run a game at, anyone remember it?
Can you RUN it?

http://cyri.systemrequirementslab.com/srtest/

Dragon Age isn't up yet though.

I got thise game for PC yesterday and mine is beefy enough to run it on max. 1. This game is amazing. 2. This game is huge (the install took like 20 minutes or more). 3.THIS GAME IS AMAZING!

It's like, there's all this great and witty dialogue and almost all the characters had me laughing outloud at time, but when people feel emotion they actually feel emotion - when women cry in this game it will make you flinch, believe me. The acting is PHENOMINAL, INSANE, TOPNOTCH, SUPERIOR TO ALMOST ANY MOVIE I'VE SEEN!

This game hits you, it hits you hard. You will experiance things that make you question your morality, you WILL see things that horrify and delight you, you will be disturbed, you will laugh. This game is better then Mass Effect by a gigantic margin.

Garaw said:

Not dark fantasy? Have you completed your Origin yet? Have you been to Redcliff? Have you been inside Redcliff Castle?

CK76

Sep 25, 2009
TsunamiWombat said:
CK76 said:
Can you RUN it?

I got thise game for PC yesterday and mine is beefy enough to run it on max. 1. This game is amazing. 2. This game is huge (the install took like 20 minutes or more). 3.THIS GAME IS AMAZING!
That is it, usually how long does it take to get a title up?

Or, do you mind telling me what specs of your PC are to compare my own.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I just want everyone to know there are SUBSTANTIAL differences between the PC and console versions. The PC version has hotkeys which help alleviate the mess caused by trying to control your units via controller. Additionally, the console versions have dropped the number of enemies and difficulty of the game. Furthemore, the console versions do not even allow you to zoom out to an overhead camera angle, and forces camera to be behind your character at all time.

The PC version of this game, in my opinion, is undeniably superior both in terms of graphics and in gameplay. I urge anyone with the PC to run it to choose the PC version.

runtheplacered

Oct 31, 2007
AC10 said:
I just want everyone to know there are SUBSTANTIAL differences between the PC and console versions. The PC version has hotkeys which help alleviate the mess caused by trying to control your units via controller. Additionally, the console versions have dropped the number of enemies and difficulty of the game. Furthemore, the console versions do not even allow you to zoom out to an overhead camera angle, and forces camera to be behind your character at all time.

The PC version of this game, in my opinion, is undeniably superior both in terms of graphics and in gameplay. I urge anyone with the PC to run it to choose the PC version.

This is one case where I wish this game wasn't multiplatform. Consolers are going to play this game and think "meh".. and that'll just hurt the future of these types of RPG's..

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
runtheplacered said:
AC10 said:

This is one case where I wish this game wasn't multiplatform. Consolers are going to play this game and think "meh".. and that'll just hurt the future of these types of RPG's..
Well, perhaps companies will simply not put them on consoles in the future if it is not well received.

Beffudled Sheep

May 29, 2020
Country
Texas
I must get this game. Grrr at me having to support two people now!
I wish I had the money to buy the games I want.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
TooMiserableToLive said:
Trotgar said:
Lord_Gremlin said:
What, Mass Effect on the pc has trophies? how'd they do that? Can I like, connect mass effect with my PSN account or something?
The 'trophies' weren't linked to PSN or XBox Live - it just had the same achievements and the same bonuses they produce in that game.

clairedelune

Oct 9, 2006
I'm already a PC gamer, so the console problems don't really affect me.
Ive played the game for about 6-7 hours now and i'm in love. It's one of those games where I dont realize but i've been playing for 4 hours and havent eaten in 7 or peed in 8, but I can't pull myself away.
Brief pro-con list for interested readers:
Cons-
Loading screens can get a bit annoyingly long, but this may have to do more with my computer than the game. Still, they are frequent enough to be annoying regardless. In late 2009, I thought we would be able to see less of these, but oh well.
I seem to be relying a lot on healing potions because I havent come across a healer party member yet. I have tons of money but when I try and stock up on these pots there are never more than 3-5 in stock, which is kind of a nuisance.

Pros-
Extreme personalization. And I mean extreme. I made a female character, and in every interaction with every character, whether it being about the main storyline or just a short dialogue, that comes into play. Not in the saying "Hello, miss" instead of "Hello, sir" way but truly can be part of the conversation. And past that, there are so many different options of responses to choose from that you really feel like the choices you make have an impact. I'm talking about like, 7 choices sometimes. Which is really very nice.
More than just an epic storyline plus side quests - if you talk to someone without that trademark exclamation point over their head, you can find out more about the story and affect the story in different ways. For example, i came across a town and was wandering around, and I saw an elf sitting in a tavern. I spoke to him, forced out some information, found out additional background information to the story, and convinced him to fight for my cause (not with my party, just on my 'side'). When in a big battle with the town, I saw him as the sole named NPC among the militia! Kind of a cool touch.
Combat system - I went ahead and made a warrior. I usually make healer classes but decided I didn't want to die too much. The combat system is very interesting. It is as intricate as you want it to be pretty much. You can technically pause the game, circle the party, give each character a task, unpause, repeat. I'm a little too impatient for that. You can use the tactics system to put the party members on an auto attack mode with specifics. For example, I can tell the tank (in a prioritized system) that no matter what, if the mage is being attacked, to attack that mob. I can also tell the rogue to go after all enemies who are casters, or tell the mage to attack the closest enemy with under 50% health. You get the idea. It's pretty cool.
Audio!! - I swear, I heard barking and muffled shouting and I turned around to see who my dog was bothering. Took off the headphones and the barking stopped. It's almost freaky.

The graphics are not superb, and I'm usually a graphics nut. But honestly, I don't even notice it. The storyline is grabbing, it does read fairly LOTR based but personally I don't have much against that.

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
Hmmm... I've already picked up a copy for my Xbox. Haven't tried it yet, but I'm wondering if I made a mistake. I mean, my computer is an ancient pile of shit that has no chance of running it, but should I have waited until I get a new computer like I've been planning (gotta be able to play The Old Republic, after all)? Hopefully, combat won't be too much of a mess - it should be fine as long as I can do the Baldur's Gate-esque dealy with pausing and then issuing orders. The graphics I don't really care about too much.

And for those of you complaining about the lack of voice-overs for the main character, think about this: in Mass Effect, you just had Male Shep and Fem Shep, both human. In Dragon Age, your character can be a human, an elf, or a dwarf. An elf is going to sound completely different from a dwarf. So there would have to be 6 different voice actors to encompass all of the races and genders. With such a huge game, that's a pretty tall order. It's an easy enough thing to overlook, anyway.

UAProxy

Sep 11, 2009
I love how everyone keeps calling it Mass Effect with dragons. It really plays more like KOTOR did.

Dommyboy

Jul 20, 2008
Hahaha, this game is brilliant. Want to have sex with homosexual dwarfs? Now you can!

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/sexy-montage-dragon-age/58583

Unfortunately there's some bugs in the game, like Rogues daggers are based on the strength attribute, rather then dexterity.

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
MaxTheReaper said:
I loved the video supplement.

And I am extremely pleased that this game has turned out to be as good as I hoped.

Now all that remains is to buy it.
same can be said for me. it looks great, but my PC is a little *****, so ill have to get the PS3 version.

the best of the video supllement was Russ´ silly OP enemy voice. "BOOOOM, total party kill. how do ya like me know huh? SUCK IT."

DBlack

Jul 16, 2009
Ive only played about 6 hours of the game and so far its been WAY more then I expected. Its a rare sight when an rpg comes out that doesnt completly lack in writing/story, and game play. Im the kind of person that loves a good story line and this game isnt missing anything in that regard.

Its so nice to see a game with really well rounded characters, because to me they make or brake the game.

DayDark

Oct 31, 2007
I'm actually kind of glad that this was reviewed on the xbox360, because that's my main system, so it's nice to have someone who's actually not just focused on the things that's different from the PC version, but also how it holds up on its own.

It sounds like a must buy, damn it! I have zero money these months.

MrBrightside919

Oct 2, 2008
QUICK REVIEW

Dragon Age Origins is a fantastic RPG that will drain over 60 hours of your life and leave you wanting more. The graphics look good at points, but can look hideous at other times, probably because of some of the textures...and the blood spatter over your characters can be annoying (you'd think they would wipe that stuff off or risk getting it in their eyes).

It doesn't matter what platform you plan on playing this game because it's great across the board...with the PC being ahead of the consoles...

If you were raised on Baulders Gate....Welcome Home...

Flishiz

Feb 11, 2009
After playing a good set of hours in this game, I have to say that J.R.R. Tolkien's personal KOTOR is filling out nicely.

jonmboxer

Oct 29, 2009
Fantastic game. The best rpg that I've played in many years. I highly recommend this game to any rpg fan. You will not be disappointed.

TOGSolid

Jul 15, 2008
This review reads almost exactly like a review for a special edition Baldur's Gate 2 with shiny, new, 3d graphics.

Lord TOG is pleased.

I will be purchasing this game as soon as I get my new gaming rig setup today.

warbaloon

Aug 11, 2009
CK76 said:
TsunamiWombat said:
CK76 said:
Can you RUN it?

That is it, usually how long does it take to get a title up?

Or, do you mind telling me what specs of your PC are to compare my own.
says my cpu isn't good enough...I'll show them

Le_Lisra

norwegian cat
Jun 6, 2009
The sting at lifeless Bioware games made my heart bleed a bit.

Then I remembered NWN1 and went off to find some bandages.

BlindTom

Aug 8, 2008
It seems my computer can run it.... But then it was apparently a certainty that it could run NWN2 and that was a mess of gigantic loading times and dipping framerates in outdoor environments AND IT WAS STILL UGLY.

Why no demo? Demo where?

CUnk

Oct 24, 2008
vivaldiscool said:
CUnk said:

Sounds like you just don't like RPGs bro. Half those are things players look for in a game.

Haven't played it yet, I'd assume there a very high amount of conversation and quartermastery. I sincerely doubt there will be vehicle sections, don't know about loading times.
RPGs are what I play primarily. But I'm mainly interested in the ones that let me explore. If there's going to be a lot of dialog I prefer something that's well written, somewhat interesting, and doesn't feel forced. Good example: The Witcher. Bad example: Mass Effect. Maybe Mass Effect got better later in the game but I gave up after 20 hours or so of playing.

warbaloon

Aug 11, 2009
failed the canyourunit test but I'm playing it on high with no problems

yet again I am denied a dwarf mage, but the game is amazing nonetheless

Silva

Apr 13, 2009
A brilliant review, Mr Pitts. A very detailed approach; "critical" but not "happy-new-game-vibe killing". You even considered the length of the game, which I think should be a standard consideration for any game review. The only thing I think you might have missed was the system requirements for the game, but they are a quick Google search away for most of us anyway.

uNeekS

Nov 5, 2009
Anyone who hasn't yet bought this should invest in it asap. It's an awesome game.

Liverandbacon

Nov 27, 2008
I'm actually a major fan of the sort of long distance travel system Dragon Age seems to have over "open world" games. This is because I feel like I'm traveling without having to do the boring parts of traveling, or the "teleportation" feeling of quick travel. Let me explain:

In games with travel systems like Kotor and Mass Effect, you get the sense of travel through your spaceship. You select a destination planet and whoosh off you go, without any tedious exploration of empty game environments, but doesn't seem artificial or cheaty like instant travel.

Obviously the spaceship doesn't work in fantasy, for which I think the best system is something like Fallout 1 and 2's. Seeing your marker move on the map, and the hour/date/month/year steadily changing you get the sense that you are travelling a long distance over a treacherous wasteland. The varied and region based (i.e. you only meet Hubologists near SF, Super Mutants in the south, Enclave patrols near Navarro) random encounters make this seem like a living, breathing location, and allow each area to have its own character. This system also allows you to set your game over a far larger scale than an open world game. Fallout 3 (which I also enjoy) is set in one city, whereas Fallout 2 allow you to visit multiple cities.

I'm glad Dragon Age lived up to the promise of a BGII-successor, and not its god-awful "new shit" marketing.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
ya know most PC RPGs have been point and click and frankly since the days of dungeon siege and Arcanum...I can no longer stand point and click... the Witcher is the most unintuitive game I have ever played even if you bring in turn based action its still grinding point and click.....

I like Mass effect but it could be better, I liked jade empire but Fable blend things better I wish they would go with a intuitive action setup that lets you get in on the action or opt for point and click snorage.

yes I know rant mode is over 9000.....

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
I am hopeful that this game will live up to the reviews. I have been looking forward to this for a while and figure it will fill the void nicely until Mass Effect 2 comes out.

Nice part is, my computer can TOTALLY run it.

BlindTom

Aug 8, 2008
aaaaaargh fuck it i'm going to end up burning hard earned drinking money on a game which might not even work again *siiiiiigh*

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Ok, so, I got this game last Thursday, and I think it says something that I've only got around to returning here tonight - this is a fantastic game, with the only 'fault' being that the combat will kick your arse hard alot early on (And infrequently later). But I have to say, its is probably Bioware's finest work to date - and to think, they created this world from scratch (obviously, Dwarves, Elves and pseudo-Orcs feature, but given even J.R.R Tolken got those ideas from earlier tales, including the whole of European folklore, I don't mind).

The choices are real AND no longer a basic 'Good', 'Bad', and 'Inbetween' - some many (if not most) choices are shades of grey or simply unclear. The combat mechanics are much easier to understand than D&D rules, and much better explained. And the world and story are truly impressive. My current highlight has been the Dwarven city (my current quest area), and all the races have strong unique characters that somehow manage to take the old stereotypes of fantasy games and rework them to be new and interesting.

Overall, if you like RPGs, and don't mind abit of difficulty, this game will keep you going for weeks or more (about 40+ hours for me at this point, and thats with only 1 of the origins started proper!)

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
hansari said:

The question about the engine is one that's fairly easy to tell. First, since the game is released on three platforms (PC, 360, PS3) you find yourself having to write a program that can serve a similar purpose on all three. While a port from 360 - PC or vice versa is relatively easy (sharing fundamentally similar hardware as they do), the PS3's dramatically different hardware (that can allow for graphics that are better than those on the 360, when properly leveraged) means that at least a degree of tweaking must be done to perform the same function at similar efficiency.

Of course, since these games are inherently presenting the same game, there must be an explanation as to WHY games tend to look different on the different consoles. In some cases, the answer is that the hardware of one platform or another simply will not support certain things. In others, difficulty in implementation compouded by lack of time means all features might not be implement across all the versions. In this case, I strongly suspect that the hardware is at fault.

To put this in perspective, the system I am playing Dragon Age: Origins on has 4 gb memory, a quad core processor and a video card that is not too far removed from the leading edge. With this, I can play the game with settings maxed and find that the game not only consumes the entire gig of video memory, it also chews up another 2.8 gigs of system memory. The game appears to support multiple cores as well, in my case consuming 70 - 90% of the capacity of three of them. To put it simply, DAO pushes up against the limits of a recently built machine purpose built to play games on - the (significantly) less powerful 360, even with excellent optimization, simply does not have the ability to present the game in the same way.

Of course, from my perspective, I would never advocate purchasing this game for a console. The amount of micromanagement that must be done to survive even a standard battle is absolutely insane. Using a lower difficulty setting and fully understanding how to make the tactics system work can certainly resolve this problem in many cirumstances, but even on Easy you'll often find that you'll need to personally control both your mages (damage dealing) and rogues for optimal effectiveness.

All else aside, DAO is rapidly becoming my favorite RPG of all time. If it contines on such a course, it may even displace my previous favorite game of all time (Deus Ex). The characters are well rounded and presented in a way that actually makes you feel attached to them. The story, though simply a retelling of the same story we have heard in every CRPG ever made, is presented well enough that it compells me to carry on long into the night. In the time since I graduated high school, there has only been one other game I have played that has kept me playing for fully half a day, ignoring all needs but the restroom.

Were I to personally level a complaint against the game, it is with animations. The voice acting is, in most cases, superb. Unforunately, the characters do little when speaking but stand there looking around. What I'd like to have seen is a little pysical acting to go along with the vocal performances.

Ranko

Nov 10, 2009
Watched the review, looked over a friend's shoulder while he was playing it, went to the EA store, bought the collector's edition. I love it with all of my shriveled black gamer heart and would have never thought to even take a second look at it without your review. Thank you.

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
I kinda wish that the Main Character had proper voice acting ala Mass Effect. But still quality fun. :)

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Voiced main character could not work in such a compleicated game. In addition, the voice would dtract from the abiliy to make your own character to roleplay. In Mass Effect you really have only 4 possible characters: "Evil" male and female, or "Good" male or female. In Dragon Age, you need at least one voice for each origin, and for each gender. That is at least 12 different voices. You can't have female dwarf nobles sound the same as female elf commoners. And it would still limit the roleplaying potential.

Keep the main character unvoiced, it is by far the superior approach.

Artemis923

Dec 25, 2008
I think my biggest beef with the game is the amount of characters you can take with you at once.

That's not necessarily a bad thing. It means the characters are well done and have interesting stories/personalities. It just sucks when I have to decide between Alistair and Shale because I can only take three people with me.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
This game is the bomb! I'm playing on the "substandard" 360 version but it is still beautiful. Only thing they should have improved upon was the environment textures and upped the textures on the characters a bit. It is still a sight to behold though. Installing the game onto your HD is a must. Swift load times and smooth framerates. Not sure how it plays without installing though.

clank1013

May 21, 2009
i dotn mean to keep ragging on these "reviews" but i leard more from watchign the behind the sceens video on xbox live..... another poor "summary" of a game........

cieply

Oct 21, 2009
Just finished the PC version on hard. Now I can share my opinion.
Main story is pretty dark and gritty, I liked especially dwarf quest. Still it's not dark fantasy, more like bloody high fantasy. What's good is that you are given choices that actually reflect how the game will end (not as comon as you might think). There are some morally challenging decisions, meaning whatever will you do, you will harm someone.
Side quests are still dull, but there is an improvement in comparison to mass effect.
On PC, fights are as close to BG as I've seen in years. On hard diff. that means spending half of your playtime in pause manually commanding every character to make every skill and spell count as 3-4 normal mobs can kill your tank in 6 secs if left unatended. And bosses can 3-4 shot a tank. You can die even in minor fights if you drop your guard down. That's always good. Still, I cannot imagine playing like that on a console. This game only proves that RPGs like this are simply made for PCs and shows to me how much was sacrificed to make this genre compatibile with consoles. That saddens my heart but still, Dragon Age is a really good game, maybe a bit short of "Baldurs Gate" succesor, but coming closer to this than any recent RPG.

NeckStabber

Sep 28, 2009
Milkman Dan said:
I don't have dual core,and a weak ATI X800 graphics card and it works nicely

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
This just further proves that Bioware is infallible. Great game over 100 hours spent on it in 2 weeks, beautiful music as well, almost made me cry during the credits.

ItsAPaul

Mar 4, 2009
Why do people still buy games that are available on pc on a console? Seems like you just want to give microsoft or sony money to play a worse game.

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
ItsAPaul said:
Why do people still buy games that are available on pc on a console? Seems like you just want to give microsoft or sony money to play a worse game.
Um, if they have a shitty computer that can't run it, like I, and many others, do? The PC version is clearly superior, but for a lot of people it's just not a viable option.

Majikthise

Nov 19, 2009
What a thoroughly terrible video review. I got about half way through before giving up, the guy speaking is just infuriating. It's not that hard to speak without sounding like a smug dickhead.

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
Get the PC version, you will not regret it. Especially if you like RPGs without sacrificing too much graphics in the process.

As for the combat, you just have to bear it for the first little while. It actually makes you *GASP* THINK!?

What is this world comming to.. [/sarcasm meter breaks]

sunnydcookies

Apr 15, 2009
Great review :D, I wondered how your perspective differed from Yahtzee's. Needless to say, I much prefer the description you gave over the bull he managed to spew.

YoUnG205

Ugh!...
Oct 13, 2009
This is a good game in my opinion how ever i thinkk that it may be slightly too long for me to be able to finish

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
well after a marathon experience with the game i have to say im impressed (pc version) the npcs are good, and the party conversations and interactions do elicit a giggle now and then. the review is very accurate and interestingly the main character seemed to get more cynical the more people she met (let me guess you want me to do something for you too) haha

it hasnt been mentioned by anyone yet anyone thinking of buying this game on the pc should think long and hard about it before hard due to the issues alot of people are having trying to get the dlc for this game working on the pc version.

in all my years of gaming i have never quite experienced a bigger pain in the ass frustration than i have with this game in trying to get an expansion or dlc to work, its been a week now and yet i still cant despite viewing numerous forumns and emails asking for help, which is something ive never had to do with a game. when you consider iver been a gamer since the days of pong being state of the edge you can see how frustrated i am.

you might not have any issues but be aware if you do.

Lord Azrael

Apr 16, 2009
I love this game, some of the world limits are a little contrived and some of my conversation choices, which I thought would lead me to a peaceful resolution ended up with me climbing a mountain of skulls after slaughtering teh innocent needlessly. Those are my only nitpicks aside from the incredible amount of dialogue.

Didn't notice the savegame issue myself Russ, but it actuall sounds like a good idea to me. I seem to remember getting violently frustrated at the trillions of savegames games like medieval - total war generate, swamping the hard drive. No?

The graphics are gorgeous too, have to say I have a 5 year old pc - 2.7 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM, GTX260, nothing too special except perhaps the graphics card which is now getting much more abuse with BFBC2. Even with dated hardware and and entirely red hard drive on the defrag screen (not that this has much to do with graphics, just load times) I notice no lag and stunning graphics.

8.5/10