Review: Dragon Age: Origins

pneuma08

Gaming Connoisseur
Sep 10, 2008
30 save files? For long-running western RPGs I typically have a "rolling" 3 or 4 slots, in which the oldest of which I overwrite on a constant basis. I figure if the chance an individual save file corrupts is a super-high 10%, then the chance two will corrupt is 1%, and three .1%; and even if 3/4 corrupt I save often enough that I'll lose maybe an hour or two, max. Sometimes I maintain more if I want to save a specific scenario (before a point of no return or something) but I rarely ever use it, excepting when I have to maintain multiple characters in the same save-bin (an annoyance I had with Fallout 3).

But anyhow, I'm DEFINITIVELY picking this up today, and I'm upgrading my compy for the first time in 5 years(!) for this and L4D2.

A13X T3h NubCak3

May 12, 2009
its getting really really good reviews all round..
Gamespot- 95!
IGN- 92
PC Gamer-94
I was going to get it regardless but this makes me feel a little better :p
PC version if my computer can handle it

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/dragonageorigins

CUnk

Oct 24, 2008
If I hated Mass Effect will I hate this? Excessive inventory management and constant equipment reassessment annoys the hell out of me.

I guess with DA:O I won't be riding any elevators or cruising around a late 90's-era landscape in a Big Trax. But do I have to put up with party members dragging me into unwanted conversations to tell me uninteresting facts about their past lives?

edit: Also, who needs more than 30 save slots? I maybe use 2 or 3 max (not including quick saves and autosaves) and that's just to protect me if one of them gets corrupted.

jthm

Jun 28, 2008
I'm pretty sure I know the answer before I ask it, but I'll go ahead. My PC can't handle this, I know that. My xbox just rrod yesterday (4th one). Is there any chance that bioware took advantage of the PS3's greater graphical capability? I have both, and if it weren't for the RROD I'd pick up 360 as I'm able to play that more often. But since my 360 is broken, and I'm rather impatient, Is there any chance that the ps3 version is not just a port, designed and built with the 360 in mind (like most multiplatform games these days)?

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Still not convinced enough to pick it up. Despite the genre being called "fantasy," developers of these games don't seem to want to do anything to make these worlds their own apart from plot and names.

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
CUnk said:
If I hated Mass Effect will I hate this? Excessive inventory management and constant equipment reassessment annoys the hell out of me.

I guess with DA:O I won't be riding any elevators or cruising around a late 90's-era landscape in a Big Trax. But do I have to put up with party members dragging me into unwanted conversations to tell me uninteresting facts about their past lives?
Sounds like you just don't like RPGs bro. Half those are things players look for in a game.

Haven't played it yet, I'd assume there a very high amount of conversation and quartermastery. I sincerely doubt there will be vehicle sections, don't know about loading times.

Frenger

May 31, 2009
Why do I have to live in the arse end of Europe?! Or rather, why do they keep us waiting two three days? :(

Have to wait until Thursday :(

BarefootGamer

Aug 23, 2009
I'm super excited to play this game! I'm a big fan of Bioware's games. I kinda wish I'd bought the PC version, instead of Xbox, but Best Buy had a Buy One, Get One Half Off deal going on at the time and I saved $30. ;)

A13X T3h NubCak3

May 12, 2009
Yurimistress said:
I've just played through the first combat mission and for the most part the game is good. My buzz, however, quickly died once I realized that your character doesn't say a damn thing! Oh sure he/she says a few things while in combat but that's it. Instead of limiting your character to one awesome and very well done voice actor per gender (as in Mass Effect) we are now given the choice of various voices to use that don't go beyond one sentence at best.

I'm going to keep playing through the game until I can get a more definite feel for it but this has been a huge blow for me personally. Mass Effect had its faults but you could ignore those just cause the story sucked you in so well, especially when you had a voice behind your character. I was hoping that this game might perfect on some of those faults but never would I have considered the lose of grade A voice acting for my character.
Its alot like Knights of the Old Republic speech..

Just read it out and pretend you are saying it to the person.. Thats what i did for Kotor.. But granted i understand where you are coming from.. it was nice to see your character interacting with the person in that way.

Also can more people update and tell us what they think of the game? Thanks

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
Well my pc barely meets the recommended spec, (and this machine gets 80fps on Clear Sky) but I should still be getting this.

SilverKyo

Apr 15, 2009
hansari said:
Russ Pitts said:
For the most part the game is a washed-out mess, and the items and character models are uninspiring. If sub-standard graphics are a severe impediment to your enjoyment of a game, then you'd be wise to play the PC version if you have the option. >
Can you or someone else explain to me why developers would take the risk to use different graphics engines? Wouldn't focusing on one be better?

While I found Mass Effect to be shiny enough on the console, the developers said they couldn't tap into it because the Unreal Engine 3 was new to them...

Now they say they have everything peachy with Mass Effect 2...but then I hear this about Dragon Age??

Why? Because they are once again using a new engine called Eclipse?
I've been reading up on it because this part confused the hell out of me too. Basically, the game was designed for the PC with higher level graphics originally, then they decided to put it on a console too. The basic problems with graphics for the Xbox version was the game would have to run off a disc, and the disc didn't have enough space for everything, so they dropped the only thing that seemed trivial, which was graphics. They couldn't drop the gameplay and quests, because then it would be like selling another game. With the PC version, it just has all the information on a disc that it puts on your computer, but it doesn't have to play from it. The basic problem is console disc limitations. These problems are lessened a bit on the PS3 with blue-ray discs being able to hold a little more, not as good as the PC version.

Dannie

Oct 4, 2009
Nice review. I'm totally gonna buy it when it's released here in Sweden.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
I quite enjoy the video supplement this time around, if not for the party-breaker NPC and sublime voice over :p. Can't wait for the game release in about 1 hour over steam.

v3n0mat3

Jul 30, 2008
Definitely getting it for the PS3. Nothing against the 360, but I'm getting it for the PS3

Otterpoet

Jun 6, 2008
Mr.Pandah said:
I glanced through the comments on this, but didn't see anything pertaining to the PS3...How well does it run on the PS3? Or does it have the same hiccups as the Xbox360?
From what I've been reading, apart from the lack of 'Baldur's Gate' vision, the PS3 has the best graphics for the game. And that comes as a happy surprise to me - usually we PS3ers draw the short end of the stick when it comes to ports. I believe the comparison goes from best to worst: PS3, PC, XBox360.

Still, for me, it's the game-play that matters and everyone will be lucky in that regard :)

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Otterpoet said:
Mr.Pandah said:
I glanced through the comments on this, but didn't see anything pertaining to the PS3...How well does it run on the PS3? Or does it have the same hiccups as the Xbox360?
From what I've been reading, apart from the lack of 'Baldur's Gate' vision, the PS3 has the best graphics for the game. And that comes as a happy surprise to me - usually we PS3ers draw the short end of the stick when it comes to ports. I believe the comparison goes from best to worst: PS3, PC, XBox360.

Still, for me, it's the game-play that matters and everyone will be lucky in that regard :)
Odd - someone else in this thread said it was PC, PS3, 360 - given the PS3 lacked fullscreen antialiasing or something.