Review: Dragon Age: Origins

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Review: Dragon Age: Origins

Could Dragon Age: Origins possibly be as good as everyone hoped it would be? Yep.

Read Full Article

dandahammer

Partaker of adult beverages
Jun 2, 2009
This will be my first proper Bioware game (my bro raves over mass effect) so I am really looking forward to it. My local Walmart had no Ps3 copy, so must wait til Gamestop opens to purchase. And word on the street is PS3 finally got a above average port.

Mr.Black

Oct 27, 2009
Loved Mass Effect and I'm looking forward to sinking my teeth into Dragon Age. Excellent review, you've convinced me to sink money into it!

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
Mass effect with dragons! Im looking forward to playing this! I need a game that would keep me indoors for a good month, its getting cold outside!

TheBarefootBandit

May 20, 2009
I'll get my hands on it when either my PC goes to super saiyan 3 or more seriously when the PS3 version's out. The 6th of this month I think?

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
I pre-ordered this from GameStop but, alas, I can't afford to pick it up today. Too many outstanding bills. Perhaps when I get paid in the middle of the week.

Graphics, for me, are not as important as gameplay or story. So the 360 version should take care of me just fine.

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
I'd been in doubt wether or not to get it for weeks but this review has made me pre-order the game just now, making it the first full price game I bought in over a year.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
pre purchased from steam awhile ago, and i bought the collectors edition for 5 euro extra because it offered an extra map, considering that im an insane person who will do every side quest this game will probably keep me busy for the rest of this year.

heres hoping it got an in game difficulty changer, playing on easy until i get a hold of the mechanics, though bad for my ego will probably make the game more enjoyable.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
So it's finally here, I've been following this game for years now. I'm looking forward to getting my hands on it tonight, maybe even try to pick it up during lunch - although I still won't be able to play until later.

swaki said:
heres hoping it got an in game difficulty changer, playing on easy until i get a hold of the mechanics, though bad for my ego will probably make the game more enjoyable.
From what I saw during the video capture - when your party gets wiped out you are given the option to change difficulty, among reload last save and other options. So I assume that means you can change it on the fly.

dodokiller88

Dec 25, 2008
Game looks great, just wish I had the extra cash to pick it up.

As an added note, there's a typo on page 2: "suffer defeat do to laggy target selection."

"do" should be "due"

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Preloading this on Steam as we speak, gonna leave it while I get to bed. Been a long time since I've played a good Fantasy RPG that wasn't an MMO.

hansari

May 31, 2009
Russ Pitts said:
For the most part the game is a washed-out mess, and the items and character models are uninspiring. If sub-standard graphics are a severe impediment to your enjoyment of a game, then you'd be wise to play the PC version if you have the option. >
Can you or someone else explain to me why developers would take the risk to use different graphics engines? Wouldn't focusing on one be better?

While I found Mass Effect to be shiny enough on the console, the developers said they couldn't tap into it because the Unreal Engine 3 was new to them...

Now they say they have everything peachy with Mass Effect 2...but then I hear this about Dragon Age??

Why? Because they are once again using a new engine called Eclipse?

ReverseEngineered

Raving Lunatic
Apr 30, 2008
This game looks amazing. With so many LOTR-style RPGs, it's hard to stand out from the crowd, but BioWare took the right path by focusing on story and gameplay over graphics and glitz.

I've already preordered the deluxe edition on Steam and I'm taking the day off of work on Wednesday. I can't wait!

Dartinin

Apr 14, 2009
eating dinner while playing a good rpg is a must do >.> definitely when some can top out at 90 hours of gameplay and your willpower is to low to stop playing it >.> kotor was my first "way to good to stop playing" rpg to the point that i would be playing it for 24 hours thinking im hallucinating when i meet the guy who looks exactly like my team mate to my side who turns into a monkey which you then go about chasing and randomly killing poor innocent monkeys >.> i can honestly say that i thought at that point that i was on some lack of sleep high or having one freaky ass dream >.>

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
I've pretty muched dropped MW2, and this makes me happier I did. If I can scrounge up the money I'll be buying this today.

Bored Tomatoe

Aug 15, 2008
This will be the first game that I purchase for my new gaming PC. It'll be totally worth the month long wait to play it with a mouse and keyboard.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
hansari said:
Russ Pitts said:
For the most part the game is a washed-out mess, and the items and character models are uninspiring. If sub-standard graphics are a severe impediment to your enjoyment of a game, then you'd be wise to play the PC version if you have the option. >
Can you or someone else explain to me why developers would take the risk to use different graphics engines? Wouldn't focusing on one be better?

While I found Mass Effect to be shiny enough on the console, the developers said they couldn't tap into it because the Unreal Engine 3 was new to them...

Now they say they have everything peachy with Mass Effect 2...but then I hear this about Dragon Age??

Why? Because they are once again using a new engine called Eclipse?
A combination of different teams, development times and needs most likely. Eclipse is an in-house engine likely built out of their previous Odyssey and Aurora Engines, so they have a lot more freedom to do with it what they want. Mass Effect went into development after Dragon Age. It's also not free to use the Unreal engine and a successful engine can in turn be marketed out to other companies.

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
Also, how scalable are the graphics, and how big is the base difference between platforms? I have a dual core 3GHz processor and a 9800GT, which as I understand is fairly low tier for this game.