Review: Dragon Age: Origins

Loop Stricken

Covered in bees!
Jun 17, 2009
Loop Stricken said:
Achievements!

If I get the PC version, is it perchance hooked up to Games for Windows or whatever the system is that means they show up on your 360 account whajamacallit?
... anyone?

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
squid5580 said:
Bought the CE and the DLC mission (360 version). It better be as good as you say it is Russ. Or you can expect a visit at your office (and a flaming bag on your doorstep).
I assure you it is so far today between the two files I set up, I have.... 7.5 hours clocked into it already, and loved every minute of it. And by the way Russ wasn't kidding when he said this game is hard, I'm wrapping Mass Effect on Insane, and this game I am having trouble on Normal

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
What I would like to know is can I have my Dwarf character have a gay romance with the elf Zevran? According to devs, dwarves can romance normally, and the male homosexual romance option is Zevran, the elven assassin.

Imagine that in-game cutscene...

Mana Fiend

Jun 8, 2009
I was totally torn between this and Borderlands (both on the 360), but seeing as how I don't have a HD TV anyway (yet! I'm planning to get one around January sales time), I'm thinking I'll push for this one. Graphics aren't a huge deal for me, and I do love my epic fantasy.

Garaw

Sep 22, 2009
Graphically, Dragon Age on the 360 looks like something the cat sicked up, I agree with that. And I can see how combat would have a lot more tactical options when you can click directly on targets. If I had a beefier PC, I would have bought it for that.

The story that I've seen so far is rich. My one complaint is that between Alistair's quips and your cute 900-lb. alaunt, it's not really maintaining a 'dark fantasy' feel as portrayed in the trailers. The Darkspawn are sorta generic.

All in all, though, I bought it for the story and I'm not disappointed.

Trotgar

Sep 13, 2009
Lord_Gremlin said:
"Buy it for PC if you have a choice"...
I have PC, but I want trophies. So, in fact, I have no choice. Anyway, I've seen comparison - PS3 and PC versions look and run absolutely same (well, PC version can handle higher resolutions and AA, but fuck em).
Don't know if this' PC version has trophies, but Mass Effects' PC version had them.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
Garaw said:
Graphically, Dragon Age on the 360 looks like something the cat sicked up, I agree with that. And I can see how combat would have a lot more tactical options when you can click directly on targets. If I had a beefier PC, I would have bought it for that.

The story that I've seen so far is rich. My one complaint is that between Alistair's quips and your cute 900-lb. alaunt, it's not really maintaining a 'dark fantasy' feel as portrayed in the trailers. The Darkspawn are sorta generic.

Are the graphics for the 360 version really that bad? From the vids and streams i've seen of it, it doesn't seem bad at all.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
"OH HI THERE, MR ADVENTURER! YOU GOT A NICE PARTY THERE! BOOM, TOTAL PARTY KILL!"

XD

I hope its easier for a mage...

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
I think that should prove to everyone that Bioware is one of the few companies that always make excellent games. Quality, not quantity.

Xaryn Mar

Sep 17, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
"OH HI THERE, MR ADVENTURER! YOU GOT A NICE PARTY THERE! BOOM, TOTAL PARTY KILL!"

XD

I hope its easier for a mage...
Don't count on it. If any of the RPG's I have played is any indication it is actually much harder as a mage (at least until the higher levels).

I, unfortunately, have to wait a while to get this game since I cannot afford it at the momenr.

JonnoStrife

Sep 5, 2009
It's Summer in australia so I'll probably wait a little while to get it, but i have a few things to say based on his review.

It seems to play a bit like Final Fantasy 12. Before you all flip out and I get destroyer by flamers, let me say my piece.

Dragon Age: You can you use tactics for your team member. Where they do certain things when parameters are met.
FFXII: You use gambits for your team. Where they do certain things once parameters are met.

Dragon Age: Pause your realtime game to quick select moves, players or options
FFXII: Pause your realtime game to quick select moves, players or options.

One more thing. He talked about quick jumping on your map, only to be stopped by random encounters. Play Final Fantasy Tactics for the PSP (But fuck the PSPSgo Up its ass).

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Hmmm, I still have to wait until tomorrow at the earliest or Friday at the latest :( Stupid UK, why do we have to wait for the anarchic brick and mortor shops to release? Everyone who buys on day one pre-orders, or buys digital.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Lost In The Void said:
squid5580 said:
Bought the CE and the DLC mission (360 version). It better be as good as you say it is Russ. Or you can expect a visit at your office (and a flaming bag on your doorstep).
I assure you it is so far today between the two files I set up, I have.... 7.5 hours clocked into it already, and loved every minute of it. And by the way Russ wasn't kidding when he said this game is hard, I'm wrapping Mass Effect on Insane, and this game I am having trouble on Normal
The instruction book is crazy lol. I am not used to them being more than a page long. Hopefully my place won't get invaded by other people's children again and I'll get to play it tonight.

Garaw

Sep 22, 2009
Flamezdudes said:
Garaw said:

Are the graphics for the 360 version really that bad? From the vids and streams i've seen of it, it doesn't seem bad at all.
Screenshots are like the burgers they show on fast food commercials...They look plump and juicy on screen, but the reality falls short of that eidolon.

I imagine the PC screenshots I've seen are idealized for a high-end machine too. A mid-range PC might look exactly like the Xbox version. But you don't get a chance to scale the graphics on a console.

They're not horrible, no. But the Xbox is capable of better.

Pyotr Romanov

Jul 8, 2009
Firia said:
TooMiserableToLive said:
Also, is this gonna be moddable? Mods > trophies.
I saw the druid, with her hair blocking her nipples, and the first thing to cross my mind was, "that's going to get modded in a heart beat. Like, the first mod anyone will manage will be a topless druid mod. It'll progress from there, but, that's sure to be mod 1.0. :)

(I dunno if there will be. Only what there will should there be mods. ;) )
Yeah, oblivion and fallout 3 had excelent "nude body replacers". So knowing... people in general, i agree with you on it being mod 1.

Pyotr Romanov

Jul 8, 2009
Trotgar said:
Lord_Gremlin said:
"Buy it for PC if you have a choice"...
I have PC, but I want trophies. So, in fact, I have no choice. Anyway, I've seen comparison - PS3 and PC versions look and run absolutely same (well, PC version can handle higher resolutions and AA, but fuck em).
Don't know if this' PC version has trophies, but Mass Effects' PC version had them.
What, Mass Effect on the pc has trophies? how'd they do that? Can I like, connect mass effect with my PSN account or something?

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
I've played around with the game a bit, and I'm a little disappointed.

Sure, it's not a bad game. You won't hear me saying that. It's just not as good as I expected. It doesn't wow me the way I hoped it would. It's just another RPG. A good one, but not exactly the best thing since sliced bread, if you get what I mean.

The graphics, the story, the characters, the gameplay... all just one notch below what I hoped they would be.

Guess that shows me for believing the hype.

waringpepper

Apr 4, 2009
has the xbox and pc version still got the same about of content in both only the graphics down grade