Review: Dragon Age: Origins

CK76

Sep 25, 2009
There use to be a site that helped know what settings your PC could run a game at, anyone remember it?

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
"You have to option to completely customize how each party member will act in battle using the "tactics" menu. Depending on the characters' stats and skills, you can program them to respond in dozens of ways to almost every conceivable combat event, such as attacking mages who are attacking specific characters, or using certain spells once their health reaches a specific point. It's a mind-numbing level of detail at first, but once you get a handle on it, you'll be able to tackle even larger challenges and the game will begin to feel even more like playing a game with flesh-and-blood friends."

:)

Final Fantasy XII except more awesome?

Seriously, everything about this sounds like it really lives up to Baldur's Gate, which is...Surprising to me. I have to buy it, I hope I have enough time to obsess over it.

And I'm sure there's a way around the saved-game limit, at least on PC.

Orange_Clockwork

Oct 29, 2009
I really wanna buy this game, I really do, but the holiday shift is bringing in so many other titles, though they may mostly be sequels, there are so many promising sequels. Assassin's Creed 2 is one that's really pressing me, there's also Left 4 Dead 2, not to mention the "new" games like Dante's Inferno...Or Borderlands...

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
CK76 said:
There use to be a site that helped know what settings your PC could run a game at, anyone remember it?
Can you RUN it?

http://cyri.systemrequirementslab.com/srtest/

Dragon Age isn't up yet though.

I got thise game for PC yesterday and mine is beefy enough to run it on max. 1. This game is amazing. 2. This game is huge (the install took like 20 minutes or more). 3.THIS GAME IS AMAZING!

It's like, there's all this great and witty dialogue and almost all the characters had me laughing outloud at time, but when people feel emotion they actually feel emotion - when women cry in this game it will make you flinch, believe me. The acting is PHENOMINAL, INSANE, TOPNOTCH, SUPERIOR TO ALMOST ANY MOVIE I'VE SEEN!

This game hits you, it hits you hard. You will experiance things that make you question your morality, you WILL see things that horrify and delight you, you will be disturbed, you will laugh. This game is better then Mass Effect by a gigantic margin.

Garaw said:
Graphically, Dragon Age on the 360 looks like something the cat sicked up, I agree with that. And I can see how combat would have a lot more tactical options when you can click directly on targets. If I had a beefier PC, I would have bought it for that.

The story that I've seen so far is rich. My one complaint is that between Alistair's quips and your cute 900-lb. alaunt, it's not really maintaining a 'dark fantasy' feel as portrayed in the trailers. The Darkspawn are sorta generic.

All in all, though, I bought it for the story and I'm not disappointed.
Not dark fantasy? Have you completed your Origin yet? Have you been to Redcliff? Have you been inside Redcliff Castle?

CK76

Sep 25, 2009
TsunamiWombat said:
CK76 said:
Can you RUN it?

http://cyri.systemrequirementslab.com/srtest/

Dragon Age isn't up yet though.

I got thise game for PC yesterday and mine is beefy enough to run it on max. 1. This game is amazing. 2. This game is huge (the install took like 20 minutes or more). 3.THIS GAME IS AMAZING!
That is it, usually how long does it take to get a title up?

Or, do you mind telling me what specs of your PC are to compare my own.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I just want everyone to know there are SUBSTANTIAL differences between the PC and console versions. The PC version has hotkeys which help alleviate the mess caused by trying to control your units via controller. Additionally, the console versions have dropped the number of enemies and difficulty of the game. Furthemore, the console versions do not even allow you to zoom out to an overhead camera angle, and forces camera to be behind your character at all time.

The PC version of this game, in my opinion, is undeniably superior both in terms of graphics and in gameplay. I urge anyone with the PC to run it to choose the PC version.

runtheplacered

Oct 31, 2007
AC10 said:
I just want everyone to know there are SUBSTANTIAL differences between the PC and console versions. The PC version has hotkeys which help alleviate the mess caused by trying to control your units via controller. Additionally, the console versions have dropped the number of enemies and difficulty of the game. Furthemore, the console versions do not even allow you to zoom out to an overhead camera angle, and forces camera to be behind your character at all time.

The PC version of this game, in my opinion, is undeniably superior both in terms of graphics and in gameplay. I urge anyone with the PC to run it to choose the PC version.

This is one case where I wish this game wasn't multiplatform. Consolers are going to play this game and think "meh".. and that'll just hurt the future of these types of RPG's..

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
runtheplacered said:
AC10 said:

This is one case where I wish this game wasn't multiplatform. Consolers are going to play this game and think "meh".. and that'll just hurt the future of these types of RPG's..
Well, perhaps companies will simply not put them on consoles in the future if it is not well received.

Beffudled Sheep

Jan 23, 2009
Country
Texas
I must get this game. Grrr at me having to support two people now!
I wish I had the money to buy the games I want.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
TooMiserableToLive said:
Trotgar said:
Lord_Gremlin said:
"Buy it for PC if you have a choice"...
I have PC, but I want trophies. So, in fact, I have no choice. Anyway, I've seen comparison - PS3 and PC versions look and run absolutely same (well, PC version can handle higher resolutions and AA, but fuck em).
Don't know if this' PC version has trophies, but Mass Effects' PC version had them.
What, Mass Effect on the pc has trophies? how'd they do that? Can I like, connect mass effect with my PSN account or something?
The 'trophies' weren't linked to PSN or XBox Live - it just had the same achievements and the same bonuses they produce in that game.

clairedelune

Oct 9, 2006
I'm already a PC gamer, so the console problems don't really affect me.
Ive played the game for about 6-7 hours now and i'm in love. It's one of those games where I dont realize but i've been playing for 4 hours and havent eaten in 7 or peed in 8, but I can't pull myself away.
Brief pro-con list for interested readers:
Cons-
Loading screens can get a bit annoyingly long, but this may have to do more with my computer than the game. Still, they are frequent enough to be annoying regardless. In late 2009, I thought we would be able to see less of these, but oh well.
I seem to be relying a lot on healing potions because I havent come across a healer party member yet. I have tons of money but when I try and stock up on these pots there are never more than 3-5 in stock, which is kind of a nuisance.

Pros-
Extreme personalization. And I mean extreme. I made a female character, and in every interaction with every character, whether it being about the main storyline or just a short dialogue, that comes into play. Not in the saying "Hello, miss" instead of "Hello, sir" way but truly can be part of the conversation. And past that, there are so many different options of responses to choose from that you really feel like the choices you make have an impact. I'm talking about like, 7 choices sometimes. Which is really very nice.
More than just an epic storyline plus side quests - if you talk to someone without that trademark exclamation point over their head, you can find out more about the story and affect the story in different ways. For example, i came across a town and was wandering around, and I saw an elf sitting in a tavern. I spoke to him, forced out some information, found out additional background information to the story, and convinced him to fight for my cause (not with my party, just on my 'side'). When in a big battle with the town, I saw him as the sole named NPC among the militia! Kind of a cool touch.
Combat system - I went ahead and made a warrior. I usually make healer classes but decided I didn't want to die too much. The combat system is very interesting. It is as intricate as you want it to be pretty much. You can technically pause the game, circle the party, give each character a task, unpause, repeat. I'm a little too impatient for that. You can use the tactics system to put the party members on an auto attack mode with specifics. For example, I can tell the tank (in a prioritized system) that no matter what, if the mage is being attacked, to attack that mob. I can also tell the rogue to go after all enemies who are casters, or tell the mage to attack the closest enemy with under 50% health. You get the idea. It's pretty cool.
Audio!! - I swear, I heard barking and muffled shouting and I turned around to see who my dog was bothering. Took off the headphones and the barking stopped. It's almost freaky.

The graphics are not superb, and I'm usually a graphics nut. But honestly, I don't even notice it. The storyline is grabbing, it does read fairly LOTR based but personally I don't have much against that.

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
Hmmm... I've already picked up a copy for my Xbox. Haven't tried it yet, but I'm wondering if I made a mistake. I mean, my computer is an ancient pile of shit that has no chance of running it, but should I have waited until I get a new computer like I've been planning (gotta be able to play The Old Republic, after all)? Hopefully, combat won't be too much of a mess - it should be fine as long as I can do the Baldur's Gate-esque dealy with pausing and then issuing orders. The graphics I don't really care about too much.

And for those of you complaining about the lack of voice-overs for the main character, think about this: in Mass Effect, you just had Male Shep and Fem Shep, both human. In Dragon Age, your character can be a human, an elf, or a dwarf. An elf is going to sound completely different from a dwarf. So there would have to be 6 different voice actors to encompass all of the races and genders. With such a huge game, that's a pretty tall order. It's an easy enough thing to overlook, anyway.

UAProxy

Sep 11, 2009
I love how everyone keeps calling it Mass Effect with dragons. It really plays more like KOTOR did.

Dommyboy

Jul 20, 2008
Hahaha, this game is brilliant. Want to have sex with homosexual dwarfs? Now you can!

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/sexy-montage-dragon-age/58583

Unfortunately there's some bugs in the game, like Rogues daggers are based on the strength attribute, rather then dexterity.

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
MaxTheReaper said:
I loved the video supplement.

And I am extremely pleased that this game has turned out to be as good as I hoped.

Now all that remains is to buy it.
same can be said for me. it looks great, but my PC is a little *****, so ill have to get the PS3 version.

the best of the video supllement was Russ´ silly OP enemy voice. "BOOOOM, total party kill. how do ya like me know huh? SUCK IT."

DBlack

Jul 16, 2009
Ive only played about 6 hours of the game and so far its been WAY more then I expected. Its a rare sight when an rpg comes out that doesnt completly lack in writing/story, and game play. Im the kind of person that loves a good story line and this game isnt missing anything in that regard.

Its so nice to see a game with really well rounded characters, because to me they make or brake the game.

DayDark

Oct 31, 2007
I'm actually kind of glad that this was reviewed on the xbox360, because that's my main system, so it's nice to have someone who's actually not just focused on the things that's different from the PC version, but also how it holds up on its own.

It sounds like a must buy, damn it! I have zero money these months.

MrBrightside919

Oct 2, 2008
QUICK REVIEW

Dragon Age Origins is a fantastic RPG that will drain over 60 hours of your life and leave you wanting more. The graphics look good at points, but can look hideous at other times, probably because of some of the textures...and the blood spatter over your characters can be annoying (you'd think they would wipe that stuff off or risk getting it in their eyes).

It doesn't matter what platform you plan on playing this game because it's great across the board...with the PC being ahead of the consoles...

If you were raised on Baulders Gate....Welcome Home...