Review: Dragon Age: Origins

Artemis923

Dec 25, 2008
I think my biggest beef with the game is the amount of characters you can take with you at once.

That's not necessarily a bad thing. It means the characters are well done and have interesting stories/personalities. It just sucks when I have to decide between Alistair and Shale because I can only take three people with me.

clank1013

May 21, 2009
i dotn mean to keep ragging on these "reviews" but i leard more from watchign the behind the sceens video on xbox live..... another poor "summary" of a game........

cieply

Oct 21, 2009
Just finished the PC version on hard. Now I can share my opinion.
Main story is pretty dark and gritty, I liked especially dwarf quest. Still it's not dark fantasy, more like bloody high fantasy. What's good is that you are given choices that actually reflect how the game will end (not as comon as you might think). There are some morally challenging decisions, meaning whatever will you do, you will harm someone.
Side quests are still dull, but there is an improvement in comparison to mass effect.
On PC, fights are as close to BG as I've seen in years. On hard diff. that means spending half of your playtime in pause manually commanding every character to make every skill and spell count as 3-4 normal mobs can kill your tank in 6 secs if left unatended. And bosses can 3-4 shot a tank. You can die even in minor fights if you drop your guard down. That's always good. Still, I cannot imagine playing like that on a console. This game only proves that RPGs like this are simply made for PCs and shows to me how much was sacrificed to make this genre compatibile with consoles. That saddens my heart but still, Dragon Age is a really good game, maybe a bit short of "Baldurs Gate" succesor, but coming closer to this than any recent RPG.

NeckStabber

Sep 28, 2009
Milkman Dan said:
Graphics over gameplay, and yet I need a dual core to run this? My computer isn't brand new, but it can already run Mass Effect, the Witcher, and Gothic 3.
I don't have dual core,and a weak ATI X800 graphics card and it works nicely

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
This just further proves that Bioware is infallible. Great game over 100 hours spent on it in 2 weeks, beautiful music as well, almost made me cry during the credits.

ItsAPaul

Mar 4, 2009
Why do people still buy games that are available on pc on a console? Seems like you just want to give microsoft or sony money to play a worse game.

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
ItsAPaul said:
Why do people still buy games that are available on pc on a console? Seems like you just want to give microsoft or sony money to play a worse game.
Um, if they have a shitty computer that can't run it, like I, and many others, do? The PC version is clearly superior, but for a lot of people it's just not a viable option.

Majikthise

Nov 19, 2009
What a thoroughly terrible video review. I got about half way through before giving up, the guy speaking is just infuriating. It's not that hard to speak without sounding like a smug dickhead.

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
Get the PC version, you will not regret it. Especially if you like RPGs without sacrificing too much graphics in the process.

As for the combat, you just have to bear it for the first little while. It actually makes you *GASP* THINK!?

What is this world comming to.. [/sarcasm meter breaks]

sunnydcookies

Apr 15, 2009
Great review :D, I wondered how your perspective differed from Yahtzee's. Needless to say, I much prefer the description you gave over the bull he managed to spew.

YoUnG205

Ugh!...
Oct 13, 2009
This is a good game in my opinion how ever i thinkk that it may be slightly too long for me to be able to finish

Lord Azrael

Apr 16, 2009
I love this game, some of the world limits are a little contrived and some of my conversation choices, which I thought would lead me to a peaceful resolution ended up with me climbing a mountain of skulls after slaughtering teh innocent needlessly. Those are my only nitpicks aside from the incredible amount of dialogue.

Didn't notice the savegame issue myself Russ, but it actuall sounds like a good idea to me. I seem to remember getting violently frustrated at the trillions of savegames games like medieval - total war generate, swamping the hard drive. No?

The graphics are gorgeous too, have to say I have a 5 year old pc - 2.7 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2 GB RAM, GTX260, nothing too special except perhaps the graphics card which is now getting much more abuse with BFBC2. Even with dated hardware and and entirely red hard drive on the defrag screen (not that this has much to do with graphics, just load times) I notice no lag and stunning graphics.

8.5/10